Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

I really do not like the names that had one or two letters changed just for Western pronounciation. It feels like they are dumbing things down, assuming Western audiences are incapable of handling Japanese names.

Tsubaki - Subaki

Mozume - Mozu

Saizou - Saizo

Kagerou - Kagero

Ryouma - Ryoma

A few others I hate:

Pieri - Peri (seriously, what's the point of this one?)

Lazward - Laslow

Benoit - Benny (almost makes him seem like a joke, a big tough scarred guy named... Benny?)

Zero - Niles (at least they somewhat kept the symbolic meaning)

Joker - Jakob (again, there goes the symbolic meaning)

I'm not a fan of Caeldori (I can't ever remember this, keep thinking it's Deliacor or Cordelai) or Rhajat either, though Rhajat sounds exotic Indian at least.

The only changes I really like are Aqua - Azura and Marx - Xander.

Ryoma, Saizo, and Kagero can all be seen as Ryouma, Saizou, Kagerou or Ryoma, Saizo, Kagero with the accented O to emphasize the long O sound. Just depends on how you translate it.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh I'm fine with most of the names

I'm a little annoyed with Èponine -> Nina though because I really liked the Les Mis reference, but I'll probably get used to it.

Caeldori is strange because half the time I think of cabbage but whatever. Hopefully it'll fall into place like it did with Rhajat.

I don't mind Caeldori anymore. Thinking back, a lot of names in FE are quite weird and unique. In FE8, they changed Cougar to Cormag, which I don't think is a real name. (Not that Cougar is any better lol)

I just hope they don't change Velour, I really like that name.

Edit: apparently it's Scottish. Names are weird.

Edited by Richard Lionheart Gasquet

Overall, I'm good with the name changes. A few personal irks here and there, but that's it. Nothing will kill me.

At least none of the names are Asseray or Soanvalke. Artur and Stefan's Japanese names just never sounded as nice as their English names.

I'm fine with Marx to Xander, Tsubaki to Subaki, even Syalla to whatever her name is now, but Niles is no. Beruka doesn't make sense imo. Caledori doesn't suit Matoi. I liked Harold, but Arthur's ok sounding. Also I can't look at the name Nina the same after a certain anime.

I'm fine with Marx to Xander, Tsubaki to Subaki, even Syalla to whatever her name is now, but Niles is no. Beruka doesn't make sense imo. Caledori doesn't suit Matoi. I liked Harold, but Arthur's ok sounding. Also I can't look at the name Nina the same after a certain anime.

But Beruka is the transliteration of ベルカ

Depends on the name. I love the fact that they are using Xander since it is a rarely used name, but at the same time find Laslow a stupid name. What was wrong with Lazward or coming up with a new name for him that was better. I also don't like Benny to Benoit because I just like the name Benoit better. For the most part it depends on what it was changed to.

I get salty about most the Hoshidan name changes, particularly the names being cut in half (Kaze, Hana, Mozu) or changed into something that isn't Japanese (Caeldori, Rhajat). Subaki is pretty bad for how patronizing it is of the western audience. I'm okay with Saizo, Kagero and Ryoma because long vowels are frequently omitted in Japanese words/names, such as Tokyo. I'm a bit mixed on Reina and Hayato, because while they are Japanese names, there wasn't really a reason to change them. They can fuck straight off for Kaden.

I'm a bit more neutral on the Nohrian names just because they aren't obligated to follow a naming theme, but the changing of some names (Peri, Effie, Leo), trigger a "But why?" reaction. I wish Marx and Kamui kept their names.

I'm a bit more neutral on the Nohrian names just because they aren't obligated to follow a naming theme, but the changing of some names (Peri, Effie, Leo), trigger a "But why?" reaction. I wish Marx and Kamui kept their names.

Leo and Xander got changed because communism. Marx and Leon? Even if it wasn't intended, the connection is pretty obvious. I kinda wish that they actually ran with it though and made Nohr actually communist in ideals. Garon's father could've written the Nohrian Manifesto and Garon could've been the Stalin-expy, with Marx and co. eventually overthrowing him and restoring the Motherland to it's full glory!

I get salty about most the Hoshidan name changes, particularly the names being cut in half (Kaze, Hana, Mozu) or changed into something that isn't Japanese (Caeldori, Rhajat). Subaki is pretty bad for how patronizing it is of the western audience. I'm okay with Saizo, Kagero and Ryoma because long vowels are frequently omitted in Japanese words/names, such as Tokyo. I'm a bit mixed on Reina and Hayato, because while they are Japanese names, there wasn't really a reason to change them. They can fuck straight off for Kaden.

On the bright side regarding Kaze, Hana, and Mozu, they're still Japanese names, just shortened. While they're unnecessary changes, they still remained Japanese names like Reina and Hayato. Which I feel Yuugiri was changed to Reina due to the double U thing. Just a wild guess, though.

You can honestly blame the Japanese version for the anagram names. It wasn't necessary that they made anagrams of the Japanese names, but they did. NoA probably did that just to follow the unfortunate trend that caused some rather unfortunate looking/sounding names.

Subaki and Arthur are two I really object to, on grounds of really fucking with meanings and references. Also the anagrams are pretty dumb since it really breaks immersion. If Tsukuyomi and Fuuga were to be localized to Indian names alongside Shara->Rahjat I'd be cool with it, but alas.

Others I'll get used to once it comes out. Right now I'm just sticking to unlocalized stuff because that's what I've been calling them for 6 months and I'm sure it's a lot easier to adjust once I actually have it in my hands

I think Crimson->Scarlet is pretty brilliant, though.

I'm a little bummed about Eponine bc I'm a HUGE Les Mis fan, and Marx->Xander isn't awful in itself IMO, but it fucks up my OTP name. Xander doesn't flow nicely into Ryouma. I'll switch to Xander on the 19th but I refuse to change Ryoumarx to Ryander? Ryouander? i don't even

Edited by Thor Odinson

I used to be extremely salty about Marx --> Xander but now I'm kind of used to it.

I dislike the names Jakob and Subaki. I also don't like Eponine --> Nina mainly because I like the original better and we've already got Nyna. Leo is another confusing name change too.

I like Niles better because Zero looks and sounds 3edgy5me. And Crimson --> Scarlet is great.

Honestly, most of them kind of suck, but, it doesn't really matter in the end anyway. Some of the names I'll get used to, some of them I'll reject forever and keep calling them by the Japanese name in my head, but it's not going to make me like a character any less, and I'm not going to go around after the English release calling them by their Japanese names and confusing everyone.

Oh yeah, Scarlet is B O M B. Like its probably the best localized name out of the lot. Wowowowowo.

Oh, if Foleo got localized to Fauntleroy, ill be not only chuffed as all hell, but laughing my ass off. Come on, Treehouse, you let me down too much. Its time to bounce back and do something obvious and amazing. Oh please oh please.

Im not really big on Tsukuyomi to Hayato, mostly because the former is a mythology reference and i love that shit. Nishiki to Kaden is pants. Why did that happen? Nishiki was a perfect name.

Ryouander? i don't even

This makes me think of "Highlander" and now i'm imagining Ryoma in a gritty modern world where he's an immortal dueling with other immortals.

Gdi now I have "Princes of the Universe" in my head.

Edited by Jedi

The only ones that really bug me are the ones which held references that are no longer there because localization was a toerag. Those being Harold to Arthur and Eponine to Nina. While the latter isnt horrible sounding, it kills the reference. (Les Mis outlaw's daughter etc) The former is just auuuuagh Treehouse why did you kill that beautiful historical gag? King Harold the Unfortunate. Weeeeh...my inner historical nerd is crying twin waterfalls.

Subaki and Caeldori are really unforgivable. Yuck.

I still dont like Marx to Xander much but its not THAT bad. I like Niles tbh. Benoit to Benny makes me frown a little, because i wanted his name to be Benedict so freaking bad. Omg you guys do not even know how i was going to make a bunch of Cumberbatch jokes cuz i was almost certain localization would call him Benedict. Because it fucking makes sense and i guess thats too much for Treehouse, making that much sense, ja?

Im salty about that.

These basically. I do wanna add on Benoit I do like Benny though.

Benny the Teddie Bear.

It sounds like what Elise would name a plush toy and I love it.

Oh yeah, Scarlet is B O M B. Like its probably the best localized name out of the lot. Wowowowowo.

Oh, if Foleo got localized to Fauntleroy, ill be not only chuffed as all hell, but laughing my ass off. Come on, Treehouse, you let me down too much. Its time to bounce back and do something obvious and amazing. Oh please oh please.

Im not really big on Tsukuyomi to Hayato, mostly because the former is a mythology reference and i love that shit. Nishiki to Kaden is pants. Why did that happen? Nishiki was a perfect name.

Hayato does kind of fit Tsukuyomi's origins and being apart of the Wind Village, from what I've found with there being the Hayato people (falcon men)

Also, the name I honestly want to see changed is Deere/Dia. I'll be sad if Ignis and Velour are changed, though. I'd be fine if Shigure is changed (I keep calling him Sugar)

Edited by KazeNinja17

I think the one that does bug me is Subaki because it just feels....wrong? that t is important

I'm also bummed about Arthur and Nina because while I don't dislike those names, the references were great and now they are lost

(about anagrams, maybe Gurei's localized name will be Usagi, heh)

Hayato does kind of fit Tsukuyomi's origins and being apart of the Wind Village, from what I've found with there being the Hayato people (falcon men)

Also, the name I honestly want to see changed is Deere/Dia. I'll be sad if Ignis and Velour are changed, though. I'd be fine if Shigure is changed (I keep calling him Sugar)

hmmm...ngl, that does make me a tad less salty about Tsuku's change.

Ignis is like to be changed, but if its Iggy, im gonna flip a table. Shigure...i kinda want his name to be like, really princely because he looks and acts like a fuggin' Disney Prince.

I have this hunch that Dia might end up as Dana. Which can be a masculine name.

I'm a little bummed about Eponine bc I'm a HUGE Les Mis fan, and Marx->Xander isn't awful in itself IMO, but it fucks up my OTP name. Xander doesn't flow nicely into Ryouma. I'll switch to Xander on the 19th but I refuse to change Ryoumarx to Ryander? Ryouander? i don't even

Does the order matter? Because Xanma sounds pretty nice.

Eh, I'll get used to changed names eventually, but the one I dislike the most has to be Kamui > Corrin

I'll probably just change his name to Kamui when I get the game anyways lol

Also, IMO, Marx to Xander is perfect

Edited by Pixelman

This has to happen now! Prince Fauntleroy of Nohr!!

hmmm...ngl, that does make me a tad less salty about Tsuku's change.

Ignis is like to be changed, but if its Iggy, im gonna flip a table. Shigure...i kinda want his name to be like, really princely because he looks and acts like a fuggin' Disney Prince.

I have this hunch that Dia might end up as Dana. Which can be a masculine name.

-sees Dana and thinks of the comedian Dana Carvey- >_>