Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after reading this article on Trails in the Sky SC's localization, It got me thinking that maybe some of the name shortenings (looking at you Kaze and Hana) were do to line limits or other random programming glitches rather than Treehouse thinking we're idiots (This doesn't explain Caeldori, which is longer than マトイ).

It could also be (at least for Kaze and Hana) that they didn't want two units with "Kaz" in their names.

These are just theories though.

-is naming his male Corrin "Kaz"- >_>

I can't be bothered to write about my thoughts on the name changes for all of the classes, but I can be bothered to do so for the characters.

Kamui -> Corrin: Don't really care. I'm used to calling the MC Kamui though, so I think I'll stick with that.

Aqua -> Azura: This is one of my favorite name changes. Aqua's rather dull, but Azura sounds nice and regal.

Joker -> Jakob: If they were going to change his name to Jakob, couldn't they have at least spelt it Jacob instead? It looks ugly when it's spelt with a k.

Suzukaze -> Kaze: I'm not overly fond of this one. His localized name looks like it's missing a few letters.

Mozume -> Mozu & Mozu -> Omozu: I'm putting these two together because the changes completely baffle me. Why would you make the name of a playable character that of an early game boss and then put an o in front of said boss's name?

Asura -> Shura: I saw this one coming. Making him a Shura if I ever get a localized copy of the game will be fun though.

Kazahana -> Hana: Kazahana is alright, but I prefer Hana. It sounds really cute.

Tsukuyomi -> Hayato, Nishiki -> Kayden & Yuugiri -> Reina: Changing a Japanese name to another Japanese name? Okay.

Crimson -> Scarlet: For starters, Scarlet sounds badass, and for seconds, it's an actual name. I approve of this change as well.

Marx -> Xander: Xander sounds more princely than Marx. I think it fits his character better too.

Lazward -> Laslow: Laslow will not be going fast any time soon.

Luna -> Selena: I don't really mind it. Luna sounds nicer though.

Belka -> Beruka: Beruka sounds like verruca and looks ugly. I think it's safe to say that I prefer the original here.

Zero -> Niles: Zero is a cliche and edgy name while Niles is a boring name. *shrugs*

Benoit -> Benny: Why? I can't take a character with the name Benny seriously.

Flannel -> Keaton: RIP to the various kitchen utensil jokes I made about Flannel before the localization came out. Keaton sounds okay though.

Harold -> Arthur: This one feels so pointless, not to mention we already have an Artur and another Arthur. I'll probably figure out the logic behind this name change one day, but today isn't that day.

Dia -> Dwyer: Ew. Dia sounds so much nicer than Dwyer.

Kinu -> Selkie: I like both of these names, but whenever I see someone use her localized name, I can't help but picture Kinu's face on the body of a seal.

Matoi -> Caeldori & Syalla -> Rhajat: Matoi was such a nice name. I'm disappointed that it got changed to Caeldori. :/

Syalla and Rhajat are both really ugly though. I think I'll just stick to calling her Shara, even though I know that it technically isn't correct.

William -> Lloyd: There are a lot of characters in this localization that share their names with previous FE characters and it really bugs me.

Hormone - Llewellyn: I welcome this change with open arms. Seriously, Hormone? What was IS thinking?

All of the two/one letter changes: Most of them are fine, but some of them look really off. Subaki, Peri and Azama are the worst ones.

Edited by Matt-hue

I would always prefer for names to stay the same so I don't have to get used to them. I try to think if I would dislike them if they were originally the other way around.

Rhajat and Caeldori sound incredibly contrived.

Zero and Joker sound cooler than what they are now.

I think that localization keeping Belka's original name like it was in japanese is hilarious.The "ru" katakana is suppose to be an L sound in english.

The name they should have changed.

I guess I would be fine with the rest.

Asura -> Shura: I saw this one coming. Making him a Shura if I ever get a localized copy of the game will be fun though.

About that. The Shura class is now Oni Chieftain, so that doesn't quite work.

I think that localization keeping Belka's original name like it was in japanese is hilarious.The "ru" katakana is suppose to be an L sound in english.

The name they should have changed.

Well, it doesn't always necessarily have to be an L sound. It's also worth noting that her original Japanese name is technically Berka, not Belka, as indicated in the game files.

About that. The Shura class is now Oni Chieftain, so that doesn't quite work.

Wait, it is? Aww. That joke has gone completely out of the window then.

Edited by Matt-hue

Well, it doesn't always necessarily have to be an L sound. It's also worth noting that her original Japanese name is technically Berka, not Belka, as indicated in the game files.

I thought the L sound was their intention. I don't know much Japanese so I can see myself being wrong.

I guess it's no longer funny. Maybe a little.

I think the majority of the name changes are fine. Some of them I didn't like at first sight, but I've gotten used to them over the past few days. Though there are some name changes that I want to address specifically, some that I either really don't like and some that I think are great changes.

Kaze & Hana: I know a lot of people disliked that Suzukaze and Kazahana's names were chopped in half, but I actually really like the shortened names. Their Japanese names were in no way difficult to pronounce, I just thought they were a mouthful. I prefer Kaze and Hana to their original names.

Subaki: At first I disliked how they took away the 'T' from Subaki's name, like many others, but over time, I got used it. In fact, now I prefer his name without the 'T'. It looks better to me.

Kagero: Unlike my thoughts on the other Hoshido name changes, I really hate this one. I don't mind them dropping the 'u' in Saizo, but for Kagero, it makes the name look incomplete.

Scarlet: Great change. I liked Crimson a bit more, but Scarlet is definitely not a bad name.

Selena: I like it more than Luna, though I think both are good names. I just wish it wasn't so similar to Severa.

Beruka: Why??? I don't like this name, I thought Belka was better.

Peri: I actually really like this change because it reminds me of Perrie Edwards!

Caeldori & Rhajat: I didn't like these names at first, but that's because I didn't understand them. Once I figured out they were anagrams just like Matoi and Syalla, my distaste for the names completely escaped my mind.

Nina: Eponine was a nice reference, I think the change to Nina is a terrible one. I'll get used to it, but I'm not sure if I'll ever like it.

Does anyone have a full list of class/skill name changes?

I've been keeping track via renaming the Class portrait images I have saved on my laptop. Haven't kept up with the skill names, though. The Fire Emblem Wikia does have some class and skill names changed to their English ones, though.

Does anyone have a full list of class/skill name changes?

For class, there's this (mostly up to date) list: http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/name-chart/

Plus a couple new ones that aren't on there off the top of my head,

Shura = Oni Chieftain

War Priestess = Priestess(?)

White Blood = Hoshido Noble

Weapon Master = Master of Arms

Basara = Basara

Holy Lancer = Spearmaster

Onmyouji = Onmyoji (?)

Golden Kite Warrior = Kinshi Knight

Herb Merchant = Apothecary (?)

For class, there's this (mostly up to date) list: http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/name-chart/

Plus a couple new ones that aren't on there off the top of my head,

Shura = Oni Chieftain

War Priestess = Priestess(?)

White Blood = Hoshido Noble

Weapon Master = Master of Arms

Basara = Basara

Holy Lancer = Spearmaster

Onmyouji = Onmyoji (?)

Golden Kite Warrior = Kinshi Knight

Herb Merchant = Apothecary (?)

The Apothecary showed up while AbdallahSmash was creating his Avatar and I thought it was the localized name of Herb Merchant as well, but I haven't seen anything else that makes it 100% confirmed...

The Apothecary showed up while AbdallahSmash was creating his Avatar and I thought it was the localized name of Herb Merchant as well, but I haven't seen anything else that makes it 100% confirmed...

Yeah that's why I had (?) because it's just a guess but thought I should just put it out there since I can't think of anything else it could be.

Yeah that's why I had (?) because it's just a guess but thought I should just put it out there since I can't think of anything else it could be.

I figured as much and I've been thinking the same thing. It can't be Great Merchant since the classes you can choose from for Corrin are base classes, so Herb Merchant is the only one that really makes the most sense.

I'm pretty sure his video also showed "Dragon" and I'm still honestly confused as to what class that would give you?

Otherwise Apothecary does make enough sense for the localization of Herb Merchant, but we'll see.

I'm pretty sure his video also showed "Dragon" and I'm still honestly confused as to what class that would give you?

Otherwise Apothecary does make enough sense for the localization of Herb Merchant, but we'll see.

Wyvern Knight maybe?

Yeah. That also confused me. Unless like nordopolica said, it's supposed to be Wyvern Knight.

Wyvern Knight maybe?

Considering that it probably wouldn't fit into the rectangle given, it makes enough sense. I just wish they had used Wyvern instead of Dragon. Dragon makes me think of the Nohr Prince(ss) class because dragonstones.

Hi guys, looks like we got some new names from Twitter. Can't link for some reason (maybe because I'm new??), but it's Jenni Lada on Twitter. She posted about her online team.

Siegbert and Soleil are the same, thankfully, but Forrest...? Please tell me that's not Foleo.

Edit: Oh, and Shigure's the same too.

Edited by FEHypeTrain