Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys do realize Forrest is a reference to Leo's tome, which literally sprouts trees and is Earth based?

Edit: I guess so haha

tumblr_nltna0AZ2v1u7kc5zo1_250.gif

YOU HAD ONE JOB, TREEHOUSE. ONE JOB! holy shit! The joke, the reference, the pun was RIGHT THERE! RIGHT FUCKING THERE! And you didnt take it. Laid out, right in front of your faces. Why you burn me like this? No, they have to try to make it a pun on Leon's tome, instead of an actual reference to the character's goddamn personality?

tumblr_nfzjb3Pssw1qc58cto6_r1_250.gif

Just a little salty.

Actually, it's nothing exciting, but Ophelia was apparently confirmed on the same twitter a day ago. Again, sorry I can't link guys, but if you just scroll down a bit on Jenni Lada's posts, she mentions how "Sophie, Nina, Ophelia, and Midori" joined her army.

She also replied to someone asking about Draj (which is why I was back on her page to begin with). Apparently Draj is now Candace. Neither of these tweets had photos, but as it's the same reviewer as before, I assume we can trust them.

Edit: Ninja'd. But hey, glad to have a link for it!

Draj's name is a candy pun in Japanese, right? So it makes sense to call her Candace, which shortened, is usually Candy.

Eponine and Soleil are both french so I don't see why Eponine was too difficult but Soleil is fine. I speak french so I may be wrong but wouldn't Soleil be more difficult to pronounce for non french speaking people? Then again, names like Caeldori are in this game so I guess it's not about pronounciation. Though removing the letter U certainly makes it seem like it is.

And I like Forrest just fine, but it'll take forever to get used to. I'm also really glad the other kids kept their original names.

Yay, Foleo is now Forrest! I like it a lot and its an actual name unlike Foleo afaik. I was really dreading the fact that they might give him an obnoxiously girly name just by his appearance. Thank goodness its not the case.

The others keeping their names is surprising given the trend, but I'm not especially complaining. Not sure why Shigure is untouched though considering so many other Hoshidan names were altered, but whatever.

I don't think Forrest suits Foleo, but its not bad! Its kinda cute. I can see Leo naming his son that, expecting him to be a Super Manly Man or something, only for Forrest to.. do what he does. Thinking about it, the fact that it doesn't fit him makes sense in that regard.

I've only been a Fire Emblem fan for a little under a year, so I don't understand in the slightest why everyone gets so antsy about localization. Particularly parts like this which actually don't change the gameplay at all. Nonetheless, I do have some preferences.

For one, I like the title If better than Fates. It conveys the primary selling point of the game using a preposition, which I appreciate since there are already so many single-noun titles. If struck me as a clever choice. But I like Fates perfectly well also.

I particularly like those that were changed from English words to actual names. Joker constantly brings to mind either the Batman villain or the card; Zero seemed laughable to me; and Scarlet conveys the meaning of Crimson while also being a name.

I don't mind the shortened or altered Japanese names either. Sure, to those of you who know what they meant in Japanese, it may seem detrimental, but most of the English-speaking players will never know the difference, or care. And given what a grand example the internet is of English speakers' collective incompetence in spelling even English words, I don't blame NoA in the slightest for shortening the names into ones that will give less of a challenge. It's not changed for those of you who can spell--it's for those who can't. Which leaves me wondering why they named Kjelle as they did and didn't change Soleil. But anyhow.

There are some I'm not as keen on. I would have given the Keaton name to Nishiki as a Zelda reference, for one, and Caeldori seems awkward even when I consider that it's that way for the theme. It seems as if they could have squeezed something more Japanese out of Cordelia. Rhajat I don't mind because Tharja was already a really strange name (I still don't know if I've been pronouncing it right or not--I keep switching between Thar-ja and Thar-ya). I also liked Eponine and Benoit, and kinda wish that they had each stayed the same, if only because I just like the sound of those names better than Nina and Benny. Benny fits him, though.

I like all of the Awakening immigrants' names. Odin sounds like the sort of name he'd have, and Selena has a reference to it. I can't understand why so many like Lazward better than Laslow, considering it's utterly made up. Sure, it sounds kind of dumb, but I think that makes sense considering its origin in-story. He should have asked Odin to choose one for him instead. Leave it to the imaginative one next time, Laslow!

Edited by Seanp12

Asugi, huh? Hmm...They definitely could've done worse, but it still sounds a bit awkward to me. I'd have also preferred Usagi, since even though I associate it with Sailor Moon, at least it's a real name.

I think the only problem I really have with the localized names are Hana and Kana. Either change would've been fine, but together it's too much. They should've differentiated them by leaving it as Kanna. Basically the same pronunciation, but at least the look is distinct. It doesn't help that there's a third -ana character in Izana, even though it's cool that his name was left as-is.

I guess the upside would be that anyone who marries Hana or Izana gets a really cute spouse-kid matching name combo, though! :P