Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part I had gotten used to calling them by their Japanese names. I occasionally still call Azura "Aqua" even though her official name has been out forever.

That being said, I like the change of Hydra to Anankos and Joker to Jakob. (I always thought Joker was a bizarre name for the butler, to be honest - very anime-like).

I disliked Leon to Leo and Syalla to Rhajat (mostly because I'm not entirely sure how this name should even be pronounced - it's not English, it's not Japanese... >.>)

All the other name changes were minor and/or I had very little opinion about it. I'm sure I'll get used to them, but it'll be awhile. <.<

harold to arthur i'm not okay with because harold was literally the perfect name for him why change it especially when there's already about 1 and a half arthur's in this series

also subaki is hilariously pointless

but caeldori is the only terrible one

Edited by maybe

Subaki is the only one that annoys me, others are fine and I have no problem with getting used to them. Out of all localized names, Azura, Niles and Jakob are my favorites. I kind of expected the last two to change anyway.

Edited by Carnation

I'll get used to them eventually.

The only ones I'm not really too keen on are Caeldori and Kaden. I don't see what the problem with Nishiki or even Shiki was.

I was not okay with Niles because I grew up with 90s TV shows but not I'm sort of used to it so meh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Nina's a nice name but I preferred Eponine for the Les Mis ref. I thought it fit her character really well what with the I-don't-know-how-to-talk-to-boys-so-I'm-mean-to-them / robin-hood thief schtick.

Edited by nordopolica

For the most part I had gotten used to calling them by their Japanese names. I occasionally still call Azura "Aqua" even though her official name has been out forever.

That being said, I like the change of Hydra to Anankos and Joker to Jakob. (I always thought Joker was a bizarre name for the butler, to be honest - very anime-like).

I disliked Leon to Leo and Syalla to Rhajat (mostly because I'm not entirely sure how this name should even be pronounced - it's not English, it's not Japanese... >.>)

All the other name changes were minor and/or I had very little opinion about it. I'm sure I'll get used to them, but it'll be awhile. <.<

Yeah, Joker seemed like an odd name choice.

I think "Rhajat" is pronounced "Raw j at," with the j sound being the same as in the word "Japan." Could be wrong about that though. It's an odd name that seems out of place as far as the naming conventions go, but maybe that's the point considering the character.

And while I have some quibbles with certain names here and there, the only one that really bothers me is going from Eponine to Nina. Eponine is a much prettier and seldom used name, so I'm sad to see it go. Nina's not a bad name, but I don't like it nearly as much.

Some were questionable, but I'm used to most if them now.

The only ones I'm still not used to are Caeldori (because it looks so weird) and Nina (idk why, it just isrubs me the wrong way)

I also miss ZERO and EpoNINE for the numbers

Edited by riolumaster

I'll get used to all of them eventually. Except Laslow, it just looks like La slow no matter what.

I'll just go back to calling him Inigo anyways.

oh yeah this is another one

laslow is probably my second least favorite name change but i'm ok with it because i can just call him inigo

I think "Rhajat" is pronounced "Raw j at," with the j sound being the same as in the word "Japan." Could be wrong about that though. It's an odd name that seems out of place as far as the naming conventions go, but maybe that's the point considering the character.

This is why I disliked the name - every time I read it I'm going to have stop, really think about how it's pronounced, and only then move on. It rolls off the tongue like tar. -_-

Then again, maybe half the letters are silent? And her name is pronounced more like "Raw"? I have no idea...

The only ones I'm still not used to are Caeldori (because it looks so weird) and Nina (idk why, it just isrubs me the wrong way)

It's better than Nino. I got confused about her gender for so long because of that.

Tsubaki aggrivates me, because english has Tsunami, so why not Tsubaki? People will either pronounce it right, or like Sunami anyway.

Saizo seems too short to me also...

Azama, Saizo, and Kagero rub me the wrong way. Hayato and Reina are cute. Caeldori and Laslow are charmingly dumb. Malig Knight is not as bad as people say.

Edited by Konnor97

The only ones that really bug me are the ones which held references that are no longer there because localization was a toerag. Those being Harold to Arthur and Eponine to Nina. While the latter isnt horrible sounding, it kills the reference. (Les Mis outlaw's daughter etc) The former is just auuuuagh Treehouse why did you kill that beautiful historical gag? King Harold the Unfortunate. Weeeeh...my inner historical nerd is crying twin waterfalls.

Subaki and Caeldori are really unforgivable. Yuck.

I still dont like Marx to Xander much but its not THAT bad. I like Niles tbh. Benoit to Benny makes me frown a little, because i wanted his name to be Benedict so freaking bad. Omg you guys do not even know how i was going to make a bunch of Cumberbatch jokes cuz i was almost certain localization would call him Benedict. Because it fucking makes sense and i guess thats too much for Treehouse, making that much sense, ja?

Im salty about that.

I'm okay with most of them. Honestly, I like how they changed Benoit to Benny. People are making headcanons that Benoit is his full name, but goes by Benny to seem less intimidating. That was pretty cute, imo.

I'm kinda iffy about Kaden, Reina and some of the other names tho.

But like everyone else is saying, I'll probably get used to them.

I really do not like the names that had one or two letters changed just for Western pronounciation. It feels like they are dumbing things down, assuming Western audiences are incapable of handling Japanese names.

Tsubaki - Subaki

Mozume - Mozu

Saizou - Saizo

Kagerou - Kagero

Ryouma - Ryoma

A few others I hate:

Pieri - Peri (seriously, what's the point of this one?)

Lazward - Laslow

Benoit - Benny (almost makes him seem like a joke, a big tough scarred guy named... Benny?)

Zero - Niles (at least they somewhat kept the symbolic meaning)

Joker - Jakob (again, there goes the symbolic meaning)

I'm not a fan of Caeldori (I can't ever remember this, keep thinking it's Deliacor or Cordelai) or Rhajat either, though Rhajat sounds exotic Indian at least.

The only changes I really like are Aqua - Azura and Marx - Xander.

Edited by XaosLogos

I really, really, really dislike a lot of them, i.e. Benoit --> Benny, Eponine --> Nina, Zero --> Niles, etc.

For some reason, I most of all hate Joker --> Jakob for personal-ish reasons.

I'll get used to them, though.

Rhajat is from the Hindi Rajat, I believe. Not sure how you'd pronounce it per-sey, but I've been saying "Rah-jah"

harold to arthur i'm not okay with because harold was literally the perfect name for him why change it especially when there's already about 1 and a half arthur's in this series

also subaki is hilariously pointless

but caeldori is the only terrible one

Caeldori, along with Rhajat and obviously Gurei's localized name, follows the trend of anagrams for child characters based on Cordelia, Tharja, and Gaius, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll get used to them eventually.

The only ones I'm not really too keen on are Caeldori and Kaden. I don't see what the problem with Nishiki or even Shiki was.

I was not okay with Niles because I grew up with 90s TV shows but not I'm sort of used to it so meh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Nina's a nice name but I preferred Eponine for the Les Mis ref. I thought it fit her character really well what with the I-don't-know-how-to-talk-to-boys-so-I'm-mean-to-them / robin-hood thief schtick.

I'm guessing that Kaden stems from brocade, which is what Nishiki translated to.

As for Eponine, I'm only upset about the name change because it means I lose access to potential accented E's.

I'm also jokingly bitter about Suzukaze > Kaze because that means I lose out on being able to use Kaze for my male Corrin.

I'm personally happy they changed Joker to Jakob and Zero to Niles because I'm not a fan of the anime-implication that Joker and Zero gave off. (I know the game has anime influence, but it's a personal irk with character names for me)

Edited by KazeNinja17

I really do not like the names that had one or two letters changed just for Western pronounciation. It feels like they are dumbing things down, assuming Western audiences are incapable of handling Japanese names.

Saizou - Saizo

Kagerou - Kagero

Ryouma - Ryoma

So genuinely mispronouncing these means you're just stupid, eh? Well then, thanks for insulting me. Omitting the U's actually made me pronounce them correctly.

I like most of the changes. The only one I don't like at all is Zero -> Niles. Seriously, Zero is a way cooler name...