Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usagi would have made more sense, but Asugi is fine too.

I guess the rest of the children names that need figuring out are:

Mitama

Hisame

Kisaragi

Shinonome

Edited by Leif

Mind me asking the source for that? (not trying to sound rude I just want to know >.<)

I know. I am wondering myself too. Wiki says it's from the same video, but I cannot catch the precise moment that name shows. It might be brief second like Asugi's Confect, so I couldnt find one myself. Since nobody's questioning it in wiki, it does sound true.

Asiago or whatever is cool I guess but isn't as good as Usagi or Sugai would have been. I actually do like Caeldori though tbh.

Forrest is great. It's masculine which fits his personality. He likes feminine things but doesn't act stereotypically. I'm glad that it wasn't made a gender neutral name for the sake of a joke.

Candace is pretty cute tbh

I really like Percy, especially in conjunction with Arthur. The Camelot parallels are very obvious.

Even though a lot of people wanted Usagi for Asugi, it really doesn't fit his character. Especially when you think about his motif this time around. Having him named Usagi would make the cat lolipops a little weird since his name would mean "rabbit"

This is what the Fire Emblem Wikia has to say about the potential etymology of Asugi: "Asugi (アズキ) is spelled similarly to Azuki (アスギ), a type of bean used in many Japanese confections. It is also an anagram of Gaius."

And for Caeldori, this is the explanation they came up with: "Caeldori is an anagram of Cordelia. Although the name itself doesn't have a particular meaning, the 'Cael' part of her name could come from the Latin word 'caelus', meaning 'sky' or 'heaven', possibly being a reference to her class. Additionally 'dori', an alternative reading for 'tori' (é³¥), means bird in Japanese, another possible reference to her class."

And for Caeldori, this is the explanation they came up with: "Caeldori is an anagram of Cordelia. Although the name itself doesn't have a particular meaning, the 'Cael' part of her name could come from the Latin word 'caelus', meaning 'sky' or 'heaven', possibly being a reference to her class. Additionally 'dori', an alternative reading for 'tori' (é³¥), means bird in Japanese, another possible reference to her class."

So basically they came up with some random acronym and somehow got lucky enough to handwave the name as "fitting" because it happens to be comprised of 2 root words (of 2 completely different languages, even) of generic meaning that refer to something vaguely relevant to her? Makes as much sense as most of their other naming choices.

Edited by Magic Ike

So basically they came up with some random acronym and somehow got lucky enough to handwave the name as "fitting" because it happens to be comprised of 2 root words (of 2 completely different languages, even) of generic meaning that refer to something vaguely relevant to her? Makes as much sense as most of their other naming choices.

Or maybe they were actually thinking of how to make the anagram make sense? It may seem like a mindless decision, but I have a feeling it was fairly thought out. Random naming choices aren't exactly professional. Not to mention, Treehouse has stated before how to go about choosing names. They do consult IS about it.

And their naming choices have been fine so far. But hey, that's my opinion. Unless you feel like the names are bad because they aren't the way you want them?

Edited by Robotic Squid

You may not think too highly of how the Treehouse makes their localization decisions (and you'll probably say I think too highly of them), but I highly doubt they just pull names out of nowhere and stick them to the character. The names may not be what you want them to be, but there is usually a reason for them.

Watch then rename "Staff" to "Healing stick", the present name changes have been ridiculous enough that anything is possible

It's still Staff for Conquest's healing staves.

Or maybe they were actually thinking of how to make the anagram make sense? It may seem like a mindless decision, but I have a feeling it was fairly thought out. Random naming choices aren't exactly professional. Not to mention, Treehouse has stated before how to go about choosing names. They do consult IS about it.

And their naming choices have been fine so far. But hey, that's my opinion. Unless you feel like the names are bad because they aren't the way you want them?

You may not think too highly of how the Treehouse makes their localization decisions (and you'll probably say I think too highly of them), but I highly doubt they just pull names out of nowhere and stick them to the character. The names may not be what you want them to be, but there is usually a reason for them.

I may have been exaggerating my thoughts on her name for the sake of making fun of it (although it's definitely understandable that people actually feel that way since the name sounds a bit odd rolling off the tongue. It's an acquired taste for many). I don't really hate it that much. I'm just at the phase right now where I'm questioning all of Treehouse's bizarre name choices, but I'll warm up to them eventually. Oddly enough, I'm really starting to like Caeldori a lot more then I initially did. It's different.

Side note: I also understand they probably wanted the anagram to have actual meaning to her character, but every name doesn't have to be meaningful. They could have easily chosen an anagram that sounds nice for the sake of sounding nice. The anagram is enough to be meaningful in regards to Caeldori. I'm not complaining, though, just pondering a thought.

Edited by Magic Ike

Asugi isn't great but it's a lot better than Rhajat or Calamari. At least it kind of sounds Japanese. Using anagrams for the English names wasn't a very good idea

In general, using anagrams for their names wasn't a good idea, whether it's the Japanese or English version of the game.