Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so sure he was going to be Shino (like most people), but Shiro is basically one letter changed so no complaints here

Percy and Velouria are really nice names too, cute even.

Now I'm really curious about Kisaragi and I'm tempted to ask

Edited by soranauta

I miss the Shinonononononononome jokes but I didn't expect that to survive localization anyway. Shiro's nice enough--the white meaning complements Hoshido's Japanese name-Byakuya, which, if you take each character apart, byaku is white and ya is night. I can live with this.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the names. I wasn't expecting them to mostly stay the same with Velour to Velouria (thought it would be Velvet or something completely different), but I'm ok with it. Just glad to finally have an official name for my new cosplay endeavor~!

Shiro is fine, though I would've preferred Shino slightly more.

Shiro fits more with the white color motif in Hoshido. It makes sense and is a better name than Shinonome.

Now there's Mitama, Kisaragi, and Ignis left if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Hisame too.

Edited by Leif

Shiro fits more with the white color motif in Hoshido. It makes sense and is a better name than Shinonome.

Now there's Mitama, Kisaragi, and Ignis left if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Hisame too.

I can't help but feel that Hisame might be changed to Haku because it's easy to pronounce and that haku could be used as a verb meaning, "to affix a sword to one's hip". Hisame is a natural swordsman after all.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

Ignatius perhaps?

Ignatius fits better, yes. Plus, it would have a similar meaning to Ignis.

Unrelated Sidenote: If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this page, you'll see a name you should recognize: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius

Edited by KazeNinja17

SERIOUSLY? MY JOKE GOT 1000X BETTER

if only bryce papenbrook was on that list of VA's

YEAH

Shit this means I gotta make a bright orange haired FEMC...

Or Irisviel... even though... Shirou aint her kid...

Not shitting on Shiro because I do like it, but I disagree about being better than Shinonome in the sense of meaningfulness, since Shinonome is written in Kanji as 東雲 which is a poetic way to say dawn, which is also associated with Hoshido. It's also quite meaningful.

Shiro does make it easier on westerners and still preserves some meaning, so it's a very valid localization choice, but I feel like your comment misses the point of the name Shinonome in the first place.