Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

Not shitting on Shiro because I do like it, but I disagree about being better than Shinonome in the sense of meaningfulness, since Shinonome is written in Kanji as 東雲 which is a poetic way to say dawn, which is also associated with Hoshido. It's also quite meaningful.

Shiro does make it easier on westerners and still preserves some meaning, so it's a very valid localization choice, but I feel like your comment misses the point of the name Shinonome in the first place.

Yeah, I just meant that Shiro makes sense for a western audience. Then again, I have no idea why Onmyoji was chosen as a class name since most people wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I just meant that Shiro makes sense for a western audience. Then again, I have no idea why Onmyoji was chosen as a class name since most people wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

I guess they didn't think exorcist was a strong enough translation or something, since it's something rough that the fandom came up with but it's really not exact to the meaning.

I mean hell there's no English Wiki entry for Onmyoji; I'm cross checking Chinese to be sure and it's a lot more than just an exorcist, but it's hard to put it in western terms.

I really like Velouria; it's a pretty name and not a huge change from the original :)

Not shitting on Shiro because I do like it, but I disagree about being better than Shinonome in the sense of meaningfulness, since Shinonome is written in Kanji as 東雲 which is a poetic way to say dawn, which is also associated with Hoshido. It's also quite meaningful.

Shiro does make it easier on westerners and still preserves some meaning, so it's a very valid localization choice, but I feel like your comment misses the point of the name Shinonome in the first place.

This. Although I didn't really expect Shinonome to survive the localization and am pleasantly surprised by Shiro (I know many people liked Shino, but I personally didn't like it very much), Shinonome is still the best.

Maybe I should keep Corrin's default hair color so Shiro can have a hair color that matches his name...

Only reason I was mostly thinking Shinonome would become Shino was because I was using the name shortening trend that NoA was doing with Hana and Kaze. Shiro does work nicely for him, though.

Huh? I thought Elise had blond hair. It's clearly blonde in the FMV's. O_o

Elise has very very light blonde hair to where it looks like it's white. I remember a lot of people saying that Rinkah's hair was platinum blonde as well when they discovered that the red hair was actually attached to her hair.

Oh... I thought they didn't use Shino to avoid confusion with Shinon from PoR and RD but Shiro sounds nice.

I really don't think they care about prior FEs when it comes to names.

We already have Arthur and Selena off the top of my head.

Was hoping for Shin but I really like Shiro as well. Good nod in meaning, and I like that it's a pretty cute name too for such a rambunctious boy.

Elise and Rinka's hair are very similar in shade in-portrait, though Elise's hair is more clearly blonde in her OA outside of portraits, while Rinka's hair is stated by herself to be snowy-white.

However, because the grey that the children's hair uses as a base is not #888888 but a slightly yellow-skewed grey, all gen2 hair comes out slightly skewed towards yellow due to the algorithm used.

I hope there's a chick out there with gray-white hair, so I can turn Shiro into a katana-wielding badass!

brb, picketing IS for the trenchcoat customization :P:

Still, it's pretty good as far as localized names go!

Oh niiice. I'm super glad Kisaragi stayed the same, but I'm not too fussed about the other two. Inb4 there is someone out there who pronounces it "High-saym". Given the other two are phonetic, no big surprise but I do wonder what they may have changed them to. Now only Ignis to go, right?

Ugh. On a kind of unrelated note, they kept the letter S-support bullshit in. I was so sure they'd change it around. Now I'm certain of never marrying the siblings.

Edited by nordopolica

Unless I missed it, it seems Kisaragi, Hisame, and Mitama are all the same. Source. I'm really happy their names aren't changed, I really like them.

I'm really happy about Kisaragi! I'm kind of surprised they kept Hisame. I completely expected it to be changed.

Blarg, so many pointless name changes. I mean, they could always be worse (see Caeldori) but why must Shinonome be changed to Shiro? If they thought it was too much of a mouthful, they could have least given us Shino. Midoriko was shortened by a few letters and Velour elongated by a few letters. It really feels like they saw the names, misread them and stuck with their misunderstanding.

Blarg, so many pointless name changes. I mean, they could always be worse (see Caeldori) but why must Shinonome be changed to Shiro? If they thought it was too much of a mouthful, they could have least given us Shino. Midoriko was shortened by a few letters and Velour elongated by a few letters. It really feels like they saw the names, misread them and stuck with their misunderstanding.

Because Shiro means "white", and has a more obvious meaning and pronunciation.

I believe the name shortening syndrome does come from the fact that most people don't really bandy 4-syllable+ names around in conversations. My elder brother is named Alexander, but he's simply Alex to pretty much everybody (though Velouria is a bit of a hole in that theory; but to be fair, it's a pretty straightforward 4-syllable name).

Then there's, for instance, Foleo->Forrest. Really, "Foreo" is as much of a legit romanization as "Foleo"; from that perspective, Foreo->Forrest makes much more sense.

At the end of the day, I'm really not one to bellyache over name changes. Except White Blood to Hoshidan Noble. How do you get demoted from Prince to Noble?

Edited by The DanMan

At the end of the day, I'm really not one to bellyache over name changes. Except White Blood to Hoshidan Noble. How do you get demoted from Prince to Noble?

Clearly by sucking incredibly at life

Also, kind of surprised that the last few Hoshidan kids didn't get name changes, although I'm fine with that either way. Although if they were going to cut Mozume to Mozu, wonder why didn't cut Hisame to Hisa :P:

Edited by Sunwoo