Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

hmmm...ngl, that does make me a tad less salty about Tsuku's change.

Ignis is like to be changed, but if its Iggy, im gonna flip a table. Shigure...i kinda want his name to be like, really princely because he looks and acts like a fuggin' Disney Prince.

I have this hunch that Dia might end up as Dana. Which can be a masculine name.

I wouldn't put it past them to name him after a Disney Prince like Philip or sometihng.

what if he was named viserys how fucked tho

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the order matter? Because Xanma sounds pretty nice.

Xanma is too shortened IMO. Order doesn't really matter, but one thing I love about Ryoumarx is that it fully encompasses both names while providing a smooth flow. Xanma doesn't sound bad, But it chops both name in half--or even less than half, and a -ma isn't really very indicative of specifically Ryouma, either. I mean, if someone wants to ship Marx and Asama, who am I to say no?

I'll probably just switch to using lobsternoodle if it confuses people too much. I'm just a little bummed because Ryoumarx works out really well and we'll probably don't see something that flows that well all that often.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I wouldn't put it past them to name him after a Disney Prince like Philip or sometihng.

what if he was named viserys how fucked tho

ID LOVE IT IF HIS NAME WAS VISERYS! FOR REASONS!!!

-sees Dana and thinks of the comedian Dana Carvey- >_>

Who is a hero of mine. <3 Dana Carvey

Oh yeah, Scarlet is B O M B. Like its probably the best localized name out of the lot. Wowowowowo.

yeah scarlet is really good probably my favorite of the bunch

it sounds like a real name and a good one at that, as opposed to crimson, which while sounding okay... doesn't sound like a name

This makes me think of "Highlander" and now i'm imagining Ryoma in a gritty modern world where he's an immortal dueling with other immortals.

Gdi now I have "Princes of the Universe" in my head.

i want this

These basically. I do wanna add on Benoit I do like Benny though.

Benny the Teddie Bear.

It sounds like what Elise would name a plush toy and I love it.

that's so cute

this makes me like the name benny slightly more

Also, I wonder what other names we'll get for the capturable bosses since we have Llewelyn and Lloyd for Hormone and William.

I hope Draj is Drey or something. But i hope Daniela is the same because i like her name. My two Bad Babes <3

I hope Draj is Drey or something. But i hope Daniela is the same because i like her name. My two Bad Babes <3

Let's see following with those, we have: (Pure Guesses)

-Banba > Stays Banba?

-Daichi > Stays Daichi

-Daniela > Stays Daniela

-Draj > Drey

-Funk > Idk. I kind of like the idea of a character named Funk

-Gazzack > Sounds like a sneeze to me, so I'd keep it

-Haitaka > Taka

-Kotarou > Kotaro

-Kumagera > Kuma

-Mos > Moses? XD

-Nacht > Not sure what else might mean night and still work as a name

-Sennou > Senno

-Vasuhara > Vasu or Hara?

I wouldn't put it past them to name her something like "Candy" since her name was a pun on candy iirc.

On the bright side regarding Kaze, Hana, and Mozu, they're still Japanese names, just shortened. While they're unnecessary changes, they still remained Japanese names like Reina and Hayato. Which I feel Yuugiri was changed to Reina due to the double U thing. Just a wild guess, though.

You can honestly blame the Japanese version for the anagram names. It wasn't necessary that they made anagrams of the Japanese names, but they did. NoA probably did that just to follow the unfortunate trend that caused some rather unfortunate looking/sounding names.

I think it would have been better if they had just used the Japanese names of the Awakening characters. The nod to Awakening would still be there in a veiled way, and it would have preserved the naming scheme.

Corrin - Don't hate the name. Hate the pronunciation (at least if Smash is any indication).

Jakob > Joker so I'm fine with that; Same with Arthur > Harold, and Xander > Marx as well.

Saizo/Kagero/Fuga - Removing the 'u' was pointless. Now it looks stupid, but I'll manage.

Shortened names (Hana, Kaze, Mozu). Not bad. Hana sounds nice, I'm equally fine with both Kaze or Suzukaze, but Mozu looks weird without the 'me.' Still not terrible.

Azama - Asama rolls off the tongue better but it doesn't really bother me.

Hayato - Sounds silly but it has actual meaning in Japanese so it's fine.

Reina - I figured her name would be changed and I don't hate it.

Kaden - It sounds like a pretty boy name so I find it fitting.

Crimson > Scarlet but at least it's still in the "shade of red" family.

Belka > Beruka > Berka. I prefer Belka over Beruka but both sound better than Berka.

Selena - While I don't really think it's fitting of her character, it's not all that bad.

Laslow - Sounds too dorky for him. Lazward wasn't amazing but at least it was better than Laslow.

Peri - Removing the first 'i' made such a difference. I thought Pieri fit her really well. Now I can't help but think of her as a platypus.

Benny - Not sure how to feel about it. Benoit sounds much better by itself, but Benny sounds like a cute nickname that seems fitting for his personality. Although I'm pretty sure the Benny change skyrocketed him in bara status.

Zero > Niles because Niles sounds too formal but I like the nil pun so it's fine with me.

Rhajat - Oddly enough I really like it. It sounds foreign and mysterious. Given who she was based on, I think it's perfect.

Eponine > Nina but it could have been worse. Which leads me to ...

... Caeldori. What the hell, localization? I don't even know how to accurately describe it. I get that they were going for the whole anagram thing for the expies/possible preincarnations/whatever they're supposed to be but they really messed up this one. It doesn't even remotely sound like a name. It sounds more like some fancy Italian fish dish I've never heard of and couldn't afford to eat it even if I did know what it is.

Not that I'm defending Caeldori or anything, but it does technically contain two names. Cael and Dori/Dory are both actual names, so I guess it works even if Caeldori sounds more Irish than Japanese/Asian.

Also, do you REALLY expect a good name to come from Inigo? I don't know, I never really got a serious vibe off his character, so him having a cool or serious name doesn't really sound right. Though, Laslow kind of makes me wonder if he panicked when he came up with an alias. XD

Obviously my favorite localized name is Crimson -> Scarlet, hurhur.

the joke is because my full online moniker is "faye scarlet"

But on a serious note, a lot of the names were very hit or miss, but I'll get used to most of them. Except for Tsubaki, Nishiki, Suzukaze, Kazahana, and Mozume. It's incredibly insulting that NoA thought Westerners would look at those names and go "dear lord how do i pronounce that!", severely underestimating the intelligence of their audeince. Ugh. I refuse to even use the localized names.

Edited by Faye

Obviously my favorite localized name is Crimson -> Scarlet, hurhur.

the joke is because my full online moniker is "faye scarlet"

But on a serious note, a lot of the names were very hit or miss, but I'll get used to most of them. Except for Tsubaki, Nishiki, Suzukaze, Kazahana, and Mozume. It's incredibly insulting that NoA thought Westerners would look at those names and go "dear lord how do i pronounce that!", severely underestimating the intelligence of their audeince. Ugh. I refuse to even use the localized names.

I'm not one to defend this localization too much, but I don't think that these names were changed because they thought people wouldn't be able to pronounce them, with the exception of dropping the T from Tsubaki. Personally, I like "Kaze" more than the original name, though I can see why the change bothers people. I don't really have an opinion of the last two names one way or the other, but I do dislike the change from Nishiki to Kaden. Really hope Kinu doesn't get the same treatment.

Selena is the best one. It is her Original Japanese Awakening name that they are using in our Fates game! Everyone is good but Reina will take some getting used to since it gets me to think Final Fantasy III and V.

I'm not one to defend this localization too much, but I don't think that these names were changed because they thought people wouldn't be able to pronounce them, with the exception of dropping the T from Tsubaki. Personally, I like "Kaze" more than the original name, though I can see why the change bothers people. I don't really have an opinion of the last two names one way or the other, but I do dislike the change from Nishiki to Kaden. Really hope Kinu doesn't get the same treatment.

I like that it became Kaze, but I also slightly dislike it for petty reasons. XD

Stuff that's so bothersome that I'm going to cancel my pre-order and huff about how American localizations are censoring communism and NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT I'm arsed enough to post in this topic:

Corrin: What was wrong with Kelly or Casey? Every time I see this, I think of Sheena's pet.

Subaki: Why is Nohr the only one that's allowed to have a Camilla?

Rhajat: Does not sound like the rest of the Japanese-inspired Hoshido names.

Caeldori: Not only does this have the same problem as Rhajat, it sounds like it's Irish or something. . .at least Rhajat is Indian. ;/

Kaden: Personal reasons.

And stuff I actually like:

Reina: Hell of a way to get an easily-pronounceable Hoshido name.

Selena: It's a much prettier name.

Nina: Given Zero's name change, I think this is kinda cute.

Don't really care enough to post about the others.

Im not one to care about names so im okay with all name changes, i find some japanese names better than their english counterpart and i also find some english names better than the japanese ones but i can live with what we got.However i find laslow the most tragic since i love inigo he was legit my fav male from awakening

I'm not too bothered with the name changes. I mostly prefer the original Japanese names, but the localized ones aren't anything I won't get used to.

--Changes I like--

Tsukuyomi > Hayato: Less of a mouthful, and I kinda like the latter name for some reason.

Benoit > Benny: The latter just sounds so cute, matching his truly gentle nature, and I like that.

Eponine > Nina: The Les Mis reference was neat, but I think Nina is really cute.

Yuugiri > Reina: Very pretty name, I like it.

Crimson > Scarlet: Again, I just plain like the new name a lot.

--Changes I plain don't like--

Marx > Xander: Marx just sounds far more mature, and the character is like the definition of mature.

Leon > Leo: Leon sounds more regal. When I think of "Leo", I think of a more wild guy, which he totally isn't.

Joker > Jakob: I'm just not a fan of the name Jakob.

Zero > Niles: Thanks to 90's television, I associate the name Niles with someone who's either high class or prim and proper, which is not at all like Zero.

Mozume > Mozu: What kind of name is Mozu?!

Matoi > Caeldori: I'm expecting it to be pronounced like "Kayl-dohri" and what kind of abomination is that?!

--Changes that just kind of bug me, but I'll get over it--

Tsubaki > Subaki: Like it just seems unnecessary and changes the meaning.

Harold > Arthur: I don't understand why they didn't just leave it alone, I mean they left Charlotte. Why not Harold?

Pieri > Peri: Curse you, Peri the platyp-- I mean, uhh...

Nishiki > Kaden: Just... why?

Syalla > Rhajat: Like... how do you pronounce this even. I'm just saying it like the tiger from Aladdin.

Macbeth > Iago: I just can't think of anything else other than a loudmouth parrot.

The rest I'm pretty much okay with. Although it bothers me seeing Ryouma, Saizou, and Kagerou without the "U's" I can see why they changed them in order to make things more in-line with how English speakers pronounce stuff. I know enough people who butcher their pronunciation of Japanese names as is. Either way, I'm not gonna let any name changes ruin anything for me.