Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain that they're going to change "Shinonome" and probably "Hisame" as well.

Maybe they changed Shinonome's name as just Shin? ... Btw, I have the bad feeling that they changed Kisaragi's name too

Kaden doesn't sounds bad, I'm actually liking it little by little, and Scarlet sounds cool.

Caeldori is probably the one I can complain more, but I'm sure I will get used to it after playing the games, same with the other characters, but for now, I keep calling them with their Japanese names, let see how this will change in 3 weeks.

One thing I can say without doubt, is that I'm really glad Oboro keep her name intact

What? No one made a Benny Hill joke, not even once? For shame, my good people.

Anywho on the topic. I don't really have an opinion on the name changes I like since I either think they are fine or I just don't care, so I'll just share my thoughts on the ones I have pet peeves for.

Hoshido :

Kagero (I don't mind Ryoma and Saizo losing a "u" but Kagero just looks incomplete without it.)

Subaki (Cringe worthy change. If they didn't want the "ts" then why not change his name to something else?)

Hana, Kaze, and Mozu (Just unnecessary.)

Rhajat and Caeldori (I don't mind the names themselves, it's just unfitting. Was keeping the anagrams that important?)

Nohr :

Laslow (I actually laughed when I first saw this change. Like, that was best you can think up, huh? Okay then. I kinda was hoping for his name to be changed to Montoya or Westley.)

Beruka (Should have been Veronica or Beronica. Would keep the name meaning and look/sound better.)

Leo (A small change, but it feels kinda unnecessary. It would have been fine if it just was his nickname but whatever.)

Arthur (I don't mind the name. It's just a little unnecessary, like why not keep Harold and the neat reference to Harold the Unfortunate?)

I'll get used to the changes once I have play the game, I'm sure but I thought I might as well get some of my thoughts off my chest before then.

Edited by December Knight

Like:

Azura, Hana, Kaden (I liked Nishiki but I also like Kaden), Scarlet, Xander (I like Marx equally though), Selena, Niles (liked Zero equally), Effie (I didn't like the "Elf" part of Elfie), Arthur

No opinion/Got over it already:

Kaze, Mozu, Ryoma, Azama, Hayato, Rinkah, Reina, Leo, Beruka, Benny (leaning towards like)

Dislike:

Jakob (I actually really like Joker), Saizo, Kagero, Subaki, Laslow, Peri, Fuga, Nina (RIP Eponine), Rhajat (ew), Caeldori

Edited by kisooni

I'm ambivalent on them. There's not anything I can do to change them so might as well get used to them. When I actually get the game I'll start referring to the characters by their localized names, but for now I'll stick with the Japanese ones. I'll also probably use the localized names to refer to the localized character (i.e. Niles vs. Zero) since some personalities appear to have been altered in localization.

*prays that azama/kagero is better than asama/kagerou bc mitama would be beautiful with black hair and that str inheritance please*

Edited by wvype

A couple of explanations for the less-popular localizations I've seen here:

Laslow is a good localization. It may sound a little silly, but it's a real name, and a European one. There were Hungarian kings named Laslow (also known by the Latinized version Ladislaus). On the other hand, Lazward was completely made up and not a name at all.

Beruka is also probably the best romanization of Belka. It's a real name too, a Greek one, and an alternate form of Beronika/Veronica. Perhaps either of those would have been better, but still not a bad localization.

They seem to be going with a German and/or Eastern European flavor for most of these names anyway, so they fit with Nohr's theme. In that sense Silas, Niles, and Jakob are fitting as well.

That's not to say there aren't bad localizations here too. Benoit to Benny is definitely unnecessary, and probably the reverse logic of Donny to Donnel. But I think that's what they're going for. He will probably call himself Benoit and Elise will call him Benny.

Scarlet would have been better as Scarlette, but not too bad all things considered.

Caeldori is the worst, but they couldn't have done much better if they were set on using an anagram of Cordelia. It would have been fine if she was Nohrian, but it's not a good Hoshido name. Same for Rhajat, but at least that's a real name and a non-European one at that. I'm not looking forward to what they come up with for Gaius.

Edited by Chaotix

Laslow is a good localization. It may sound a little silly, but it's a real name, and a European one. There were Hungarian kings named Laslow (also known by the Latinized version Ladislaus). On the other hand, Lazward was completely made up and not a name at all.

Beruka is also probably the best romanization of Belka. It's a real name too, a Greek one, and an alternate form of Beronika/Veronica. Perhaps either of those would have been better, but still not a bad localization.

They seem to be going with a German and/or Eastern European flavor for most of these names anyway, so they fit with Nohr's theme. In that sense Silas, Niles, and Jakob are fitting as well.

That's not to say there aren't bad localizations here too. Benoit to Benny is definitely unnecessary, and probably the reverse logic of Donny to Donnel. But I think that's what they're going for. He will probably call himself Benoit and Elise will call him Benny.

Scarlet would have been better as Scarlette, but not too bad all things considered.

Caeldori is the worst, but they couldn't have done much better if they were set on using an anagram of Cordelia. It would have been fine if she was Nohrian, but it's not a good Hoshido name. Same for Rhajat, but at least that's a real name and a non-European one at that. I'm not looking forward to what they come up with for Gaius.

Someone already suggested Usagi.

I still think the localization team would have been better off scrapping the anagram joke and just using the Japanese names of the characters from Awakening. Would have preserved the connection in a way that didn't trip over itself and create incredibly awkward names that don't fit with the naming conventions of the rest of the country.

Edited by REL

finally someone agreed on the laslow, aha, wish they kept the "z" instead of s though

Eh. I most likely overacted. Now, I feel bad because I feel like I've insulted people with those name. The Benoit/Benny thing has officially become a headcanon to me. These explanations assuage my grievances very much.

I'm still dreading when they most likely change Shinonome, Kisaragi and Hisame, though. Caeldori is just... I can't wait to see what they change Gurei's name to. There are only so many anagrams one can make with Gaius that can be pronounced and perhaps passed as a name.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Well, Gaius is 5 letters long, so there are exactly 120 permutions of the name (and 119 options when we consider that they won't re-use Gaius itself). This isn't counting concerns of the ability to actually pronounce the name reasonably.

I can't wait to see what they change Gurei's name to. There are only so many anagrams one can make with Gaius that can be pronounced and perhaps passed as a name.

Gaius has Usagi or Isagu, both of which are legit Japanese names. I'm honestly not worried about that one in particular.

I was really hoping they'd localize Lazward as Azure but I guess it's too similar to Azura... I'm not too bothered by Laslow though

I'll probably keep calling him Inigo anyway.

The only names that really bother me are Mozu and Subaki. Mozu because it sounds stupid and Subaki because it's just an insult to my intelligence.

Edited by glaucousdreamer

I like most of the localized names, they seem to fit for me. I can't wait to see what other neat names they come up with. One idea I've seen people come up with for Lutz's localized name is Howie, which I think would be amazing if it was the case.

I'm fine with pretty much all of the name changes save the few that others here aren't too fond of as well(Subaki,Mozu,Laslow).

I think Caeldori and Rhajat will grow on me if I ever learn to pronounce them. Which I wont...

I'm fine with the majority of the Nohr name changes, but the Hoshido ones reek of "The west is too stupid to fully grasp these names".

This is pretty much my feelings, despite seeing both sides of "I know Japanese, this is easy" and "I don't know Japanese, this is hard".

Most people I know who heard of the pre-localized names who don't know a kick of Japanese nor watch anime/read manga could probounce/digest those names with the same proficiency as the localized "easier" ones. I can name 1 or 2 that were insulted at "Tsubaki" to "Subaki" to make it "easier" for them.

For those wondering how to pronounce "Rhajat", think the tiger from Aladdin.

I will be disappointed if Gurei isn't "Usagi" (Gaius)

Edited by shadowofchaos

The one that got me the most was Rhajat... like what? Also Joker is much better than Jakob imo and sounds original, but whatever... Also Aqua rang better with me than Azura. Tbh Niles and Xander caught up with me quickly...

Nishiki -> Kaden is probably my only real big gripe with the name changes. I mean it went from a Hoshidan/Japanese name to a Nohr/English one. At least the other characters names on the Hoshido side still sound Japanese. But whatever, like others have said I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. :\

The one that got me the most was Rhajat... like what? Also Joker is much better than Jakob imo and sounds original, but whatever... Also Aqua rang better with me than Azura. Tbh Niles and Xander caught up with me quickly...

I still don't really like Joker over Jakob but, after reading this one fanfiction, I have the headcanon that Joker isn't his true name and just an alias he uses while serving Kamui. Something about being the "final card" for Kamui to play or something--basically meaning Kamui would always have him by his side as a last resort.

Eh. While Usagi and Isagu are real Japanese names, I just really liked Gurei. Sounded more ninja-like in my opinion. Just, after Caeldori, a fraction of my brain died.

Rhajat, while not a bad name, I would have preferred it as Tharja's name. The dark mage design in Awakening had a sort of Egyptian feel to it in my opinion and I might have found Rhajat as a suitable name in that context. However, with the design leaning towards a more oriental feel, I just can't get used to Rhajat.

Most likely, I'll end up using both the localized names and the original names. I have trouble remembering names so I end up calling characters the first thing that pops into my mind anyway.

Nishiki -> Kaden is probably my only real big gripe with the name changes. I mean it went from a Hoshidan/Japanese name to a Nohr/English one. At least the other characters names on the Hoshido side still sound Japanese. But whatever, like others have said I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. :\

Looking into it more, Kaden does have some Japanese origins. There's the Toshi Kaden (Japanese biographical record of the Fujiwara Clan) and if the Fire Emblem Wikia is to be believed, "Kaden (花伝) is a feminine name meaning flower legend. Alternatively the family name Kaden (河伝) means river legend." Plus, I still think it's also a reference to the fact that Nishiki translates to brocade.

Also, to those complaining that Caeldori isn't a real name, I don't know any actual people who's name is Joker outside of a nickname or video games/anime.

Edited by KazeNinja17