Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

Laslow is a good localization. It may sound a little silly, but it's a real name, and a European one. There were Hungarian kings named Laslow (also known by the Latinized version Ladislaus). On the other hand, Lazward was completely made up and not a name at all.

Not quite.

It was actually a homage to his "blue" theme. Inigo was pretty close to that, and I'm a teensy bit sad that the blue theme kinda stopped in its tracks. Owain and Severa keep their themes (Norse god Odin and the moon goddess Selena), so why change Inigo?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, to those complaining that Caeldori isn't a real name, I don't know any actual people who's name is Joker outside of a nickname or video games/anime.

http://jokerthebutler.tumblr.com/post/132482010433/my-decembers-issue-of-nintendo-dream-has-arrived

There's some bits in here about Joker's name development, actually. It's quite a bit more interesting than being an anagram of Cordelia.

I mean they could have done something like "this is Kazahana" (nickname: Hana) but the fact that they cut certain names in half and made them the OFFICIAL names is a tad condescending, though it's not really something that irritates me at the end of the day.

Edited by HylianBelmont

Gurei will be Saigu, Son of Saizou. (keeping the Sai, a little bit like how some people called Tom may call there son Thomas lol). I don't like Laslow. They just injured the pride of my favourite character. It just doesn't work for me. Subaki is just why. Shortened names do not tickle my fancy. Especially many the hoshidan ones. However, most of the Nohrian names I am ok with.

oh well Tharja's wannabe name Rahjat is weird but ill probably get used to it i dont understand the Zero name change since its " 0 " lol and names like kaze hana or subaki are kinda lame but ok at least they didn't remove the names of the characters because we don't like them xD

Nishki was way nicer then Kaden and Pieri turns out to be Peri (singer alert )
i keep wondering if they will change Foleo's name and keep a Trap name because ITS A TRAP
oh 1 more thing Benoit i hate the benny name change xD nothing againts the name benny but that guy has a bad ass face and he is called benny ahah turn off xD

I can't believe I took so long to notice that Niles is a reference to null (obviously, zero), and it receives bonus points for not being silly and basing itself on a real name (like Laslow). Also, I do like the name Caeldori... just not on an eastern themed character. And Laslow is weird, but not so bad.

Also, Rhajat is a fitting name, imo, because her costume reminds me of Indian dancers anyway, and Rhajat reminds me of Rajas.

Edited by Rapier

I don't really mind most of them. Like Fuga, Saizo, Kagerou and Ryoma are basically their original names without the accents. The 'u's were purely fan translation.

And for Zero->Niles, my headcanon is that Niles is his real name and Zero is his alias, like Joker->Jakob.

The only ones that bother are Subaki, Rinkah, Reina, Kaden and the FEA kid expies.

Subaki and Rinkah because they are blatant insults to my intelligence IMO, Reina and Kaden because they don't seem to fit with Hoshido's theme and Rhajat and Caeldori because they just seem like a stupid attempt to do what they did with Syalla/Shara and Matoi (I just Gurei becomes Usagi so we get bunny-Gueri fanart).

I don't really mind most of them. Like Fuga, Saizo, Kagerou and Ryoma are basically their original names without the accents. The 'u's were purely fan translation.

And for Zero->Niles, my headcanon is that Niles is his real name and Zero is his alias, like Joker->Jakob.

The only ones that bother are Subaki, Rinkah, Reina, Kaden and the FEA kid expies.

Subaki and Rinkah because they are blatant insults to my intelligence IMO, Reina and Kaden because they don't seem to fit with Hoshido's theme and Rhajat and Caeldori because they just seem like a stupid attempt to do what they did with Syalla/Shara and Matoi (I just Gurei becomes Usagi so we get bunny-Gueri fanart).

Reina's actually Japanese for bright flower. It's also Spanish too, but it does fit in weirdly enough. Granted, I would prefer Yugiri, but it's okay.

I kinda agree for the most part, but I think Kagero and Fuga look really bad unlike Ryoma or Saizo which fit fine. On the other side, I like how Rinkah looks better than Rinka, and Subaki doesn't make me mad at all. I kinda like it.

More than anything, I'm disappointed they didn't pull a Kingdom Hearts with Rhajat. And, that the localizers are so out of touch with the target demo that they feel they have to change so many names like that. They had excuses with the more Euro-style FEs, but those changes to the Hoshido names? :/

Names I prefer in If over Fates: Joker, Suzukaze, Aqua, Kazahana, Tsubaki, Harold, Zero, Marx, Mozone, Benoit
Subaki why? Blazblue gamers can pronounce it and Fire Emblem gamers can't?

first of all, its Mozume

Suzukaze and Kazahana sound better in english for me (Kaze and Hana)

I agree with you with Harold, Zero and Benoit

Edited by luis_lara12345

Looking into it more, Kaden does have some Japanese origins. There's the Toshi Kaden (Japanese biographical record of the Fujiwara Clan) and if the Fire Emblem Wikia is to be believed, "Kaden (花伝) is a feminine name meaning flower legend. Alternatively the family name Kaden (河伝) means river legend." Plus, I still think it's also a reference to the fact that Nishiki translates to brocade.

Also, to those complaining that Caeldori isn't a real name, I don't know any actual people who's name is Joker outside of a nickname or video games/anime.

Hm I see, well that is interesting and it does give the name a bit more credit but I still can't look at it and see anything but an English name. I don't hate it by any means I just think if they really wanted to change it (which I don't think was necessary) they could've picked something better but eh, it is what it is. As for Caeldori I think the main gripe is that it just sounds/looks weird, I mean Joker might not have been a great name in terms of an actual name but as a nickname it worked perfectly for him and could be easily interpreted as just that, a nickname. Plus it just roles off the tongue better than Caeldori, hell I'm not even sure I'm pronouncing it right when I say it to myself (I say it like Kail-dory).

Also thinking about this topic matter some more I'm not incredibly fond of Effie/Elfie's name either in both the English and Japanese versions. It was always just kinda 'meh' to me. As for the whole shortening of the names bit, yea that sucks but at least they still sound more or less the same, at least when concerning characters like Subaki and Saizo. They don't look as good but as long as they're pronounced relatively the same then I don't really mind. In the case of Hana again it kinda sucks and brings me back to my earlier gripe with Kaden sounding too American/Nohrian (granted it depends on how you pronounce Hana, if you say it like Hawn-uh instead of Hannah then not so much) but at the same time it can be seen as a nickname so it's not terrible, not great (in my eyes) but certainly not terrible.

I dunno, obviously there are some things I won't like and some things I will like concerning the localization though either way I'm certain I will still enjoy the game, these are just some of my minor gripes is all.

Edited by Kyza

Subaki and Mozu are shit names, while Niles is kind of dull compared to Zero. Joker never really fit with the character, so I'm OK with Jakob. I prefer Nishiki to Kaden though, just because the latter feels oddly not-Japanese if pronounced like Kayden. Beruka is really weird - just doesn't sound natural. Like I think it's supposed to be western-sounding name like Bertha, but it just looks like romaji the way it's spelled.

The only ones I can get behind are Azura, Jakob, Scarlet, Hayato (Tsukuyomi's reference doesn't make much sense for the character in question), and Selena (who was destined to get her name changed since Luna is a skill)

Most of the changes to the Hoshidan names are cringeworthy. Taking out the u's, while making the name seem incomplete to me, is at least understandable. Tsubaki to Subaki, on the other hand, is pretty insulting to the western audience, and chopping the names in half is just lazy and make them really generic. Also, I'm forever going to deny that Nishiki's name became Kaden.

The Nohrian name changes don't bother me as much, but are still not that great. I liked Marx, Leon, and Benoit much better, and I'm sad that the references in the names Harold and Eponine are now lost. Also, lol at Laslow (all I can think of is Maslow the psychologist; been doing too much psych lately :P)

Just bracing myself for the changes that mostly likely will happen to Shinonome and Kisaragi

Shinonome is now Scorpio. /s

ill never forget what they did to my poor little tiger cub son uwu

lobster gives birth to scorpion

perfect

Edited by maybe

The only thing that bothers me about Mozume's localized name is that Mozu was already the name of the chapter 3 boss. Who is now named Omozu or something.