Chained Inside

Tangerine

<><><>
Information for readers : This story takes place in the Awakening continent during the game but it will modify the timeline for several points that you will discover in the story. Warning : There are violent described or implicit passages in the text. It could shock some person so beware before reading.
Also, I'm sorry for the faults and probably the global expression but I'm french and I did my best.
<><><>

"So you've come.
-Of course, general Excellus. With so much reward, it would be fool to miss such offer.
-You don't waste your time, huh ? I bet you know your mission.
-Indeed. Which one of the Shepherds do you want me to murder ?
-The more you can kill, the more money you will earn.
-Could I even... Buy my freedom ?
-If you fulfill your task, you'll gain a lot more than freedom. Here's a little advance, in case you doubt of me.
-Well, I don't need to stay anymore, so.
-Do your worst."

Excellus stared the assassin leaving with an evil laugh, the mind obscured by ambition.

The other man began to walk with a peculiar silence, as was his habit thanks to his job. He finally went out of the castle and headed for the tavern. He looked at the guards who were following him with comtempt. So bad that he couldn't cut one or two of their throats without being arrested.

"Hey, here you come, Grayd.
-Hello there. As usual, a beer please.
-What's up ?
-I got a mission. Some kills here and there.
-Who are your targets ?
-Oh, it's a group from another country who joined the rebellion, the Shepherds.
-The Shepherds ? I heared about them. They must be strong, ´cause they defeated Yen'Fay and are coming to the capital. Take care of youself.
-Yeah, thanks. By the way, are there some men wanting for job here ? Not that I fear those armed muppets, but it could be more easy to me. And the profit is enough for half a dozen, I guess.
-Hmm... You ! With the red scarf, at the sixth table. Come here."

The involved looked at the barman a second, then stood up and walked towards the counter. He was tall and really thin, with a long tied-back hair of a forest green. His thick eyebrows let see hazel eyes.

"What's happening ?" he said.

"The man next to you is an assassin like you, who's got a contract. I leave you with him." the barman answered.

The murderer returned to the table, soon followed by Grayd.

"Talk me about your mission.
-Well, I got it from the general Excellus. It's a pathetic one, but he pays well. He has the means for.
-Interesting. What do you need to do ?
-I have to kill as many Shepherds as I can.
-Shepherds, huh ? It's a good challenge. Are you sure of your reward ?
-Here's an example.
-What a good coins bag.
-It's yours if you accompany me. Of course, you will gain more if we come back successfully.
-Well, I accept. Write our agreement on this paper.

Grayd wrote the clauses, then handed it to his future partner who signed under the name of Larsh.

"-We'll leave tomorrow, at the dawn. The appointment is in front of this establishment.
-It's OK. See ya"

Grayd got out of the tavern, pleased with himself. His quest was a success. Now, it would be a matter of days between he would become rich and gain a deserved liberty. All that because of his problem... No matter.

The day after, Grayd rejoined Larsh who was waiting.

"They will not be difficult to find. They are coming to the city. But they're very far, so we have the time. Are you sure to be ready ?
-Yes. Aren't any guards watching you like yesterday ?
-Good eye. But no, I managed to get them away. I'm not dangerous for the moment... except for my enemies.
But you're not one of them.
-And could I know why you have guards ?
-I'm not free. It's the only answer I can tell you"

They started their journey after this brief talk. Because they were agile and their bags weren't too heavy with the bare minimum, they travelled a lot of kilometers during the days, without seeming to be tired in any way. They didn't talk a lot. Two evenings after their departure, Grayd subitely was worked up. He then talked to Larsh, with a weird deep voice.

"Don't move. I'll be back before the first light. If you dare to follow me, I'll not be accountable for my actions."

Larsh, his curiosity stired up, didn't showed his interest and agreed with a nod. He extinguished the camp fire and returned to the encampment.
The following morning, he got up and saw Grayd gazing at the horizon with a semblance of nostalgia in his eyes. He didn't ask anything but prepared to leave.

As soon as they had crossed a bit of road, Grayd seemed to be on his guard. He forced his ally to go out of the path. He hid himself quite well and watched that path.
Quickly, several soldiers leaded by a General came in the vision champ of the two assassins.

"Boss ! Do we know the profile of the town massacre's authors ?
-No. We don't even know how many they were.
-So we couldn't recognize them if they are in front of us ?
-A murderer can't hide himself forever."

A moment after Grayd and Larsh were sure the soldiers were far, the first one return on the road. He turned back to see his companion but the latter was staring him with eyes full of meaning.

"-Yeah. It was me. Hard to explain. But I reassure you, I didn't do that for pleasure. I didn't control myself, if you want to know." Grayd answered

"What you've done concerns only you. I just want to be sure you don't put us in danger or even try to betray me. I just want to fulfill your mission. That's all".

<><><><><>

The boy looked at the sorcerer. Another torture day had come. The last injures causes didn't even have the time to cicatrize. As the child was growing up, the attacks were more and more violent.

"You don't want, huh ? Maybe that'll convince you. The demon in you is fed up to be chained. Unleash him, little one."

He went out a second and entered again with a corpse. It was badly disfigured, but the boy began to quake seeing the body.

"Mo...Mother"

He raised his head slowly. In what have been cute little green pupils were two sinister orbs. A piercing mauve and an ebony one. He stood up, stared at the wizard and began to approach. The other was laughing.

He kept to laugh, even when, with a surnatural force, the child took the latter's throat in his hands and broke it. After watching the monster lying on his blood, he went out of the cavern and walked trough the path who leaded to the village.

When men from a near town entered in the village, in the morning, there was not a living soul. They suddenly saw a boy sleeping on the ground. A soldier took him and decided to adopt this moving being. They would never know why there was a bloody knife next to him.

Grayd woke up. He was hardly disconcerted by his nightmare. It was always the same. Always the night after his deadly bouts. Since the day when he killed a man for the first time. It was a sorcerer.

<><><><><>
He saw it. The Shepherds camp.

It was well placed, the back at the feet of a mountain. It was impossible to take them by going from behind the tents. Also, the big plain was circled by a thick forest but lighted by several torchs. Grayd had to be fast and accurate. The duo of night watchmen, in front of the first tents, were attentive to every noise. He couldn't neutralize the two without alerting the other Shepherds. He looked at his sword covered with blood.

Poor Larsh...

The crisis came without alert.

He focuses again on his mission. How could he, a lone man, kill an entire group ? His only chance was discretion. He return deepee in the forest and manages to go to the right of the watchmen, and throw a rock far in front of them. When the two saw it in the light of the torchs, it was landing at the other side of the plain. One of the two, an effeminate priest, according to the guess of the assassin, decided to go carefully see what's happening while the other one was watching around. Grayd could easily handle one person. At the moment the woman looked at the opposite, he took a little sort of bamboo inside of which was hidden a little arrow coated with some liquid, put it in front of his mouth and blew. When it reached the neck of the victim, she went into a coma instantaneously. Grayd travelled the distance who separated both of them and finished the work with his reddening sword.

Afterwards, he ran silently towards the monk still surveying the forest entrance and stabbed him from behind, without letting time to understand what was happening to the unlucky cleric who fell on the ground.
Suddenly, he felt the air crackling and he swerved to the left. This allowed him to avoid a mighty thunderbolt. Heturned around, and saw a gray-haired man holding a Thoron tome.

"You ! Are you ready to die ?"

Around him, two blue-haired man deployed. Even if they hadn't alerted the other Shepherds, it was impossible to survive. No matter. It was the time to end his pain.
He close his eyes and felt the life running in his body. He felt, too, the shadow in his heart who was waiting to rage again. Then he take this shadow and, for the first time, let it take control. When he opened his eyes, there were two orbs : One purple and one black.

Let the faces cover with tears
Let all these screams reach my two ears
There cannot be another end
Fall down before your soul ascend

Just after his song, he rushed forwards the group. The arrow didn't slow him, and he rewarded the bowman by a dagger thrown in the throat. He was reaching the two remaining Shepherds at a great speed, avoiding some tomes, taking some others. He tried to attack the Thoron wielder but a man intercepted his attack with his sword. Chrom, according to descriptions he heared, the owner of Falchion. He engaged a duel with the prince, attacking at every moment and avoiding like he could the thunder attacks of the spellcaster who supported Chrom.. He had taken a lot of injuries. But he continued to launch hits. Abruptly, he gave a kick to the lord's leg who tumbled. He raised his arm...

...But never lowered it. The axe went trough his body and he fell slowly on the ground

"Libra ! You're alive ! It's a miracle" said Daraen

"Yes... I think I had a lot of chance, thanks to Gods. Not like Virion or Palne...
-..."

"They will have a great burial, intervened Chrom. This man will not be able to cause more damage..."

At his feets, Grayd smiled, released from his curse. And finally he blew his last breath.

<><><>
<><><>
<><><>

Editor's note : I don't have anything against Virion and Palne, it just sticked to the story and I chose them because of hazard.
Hope you enjoyed ^^

I see a lot of original characters, which is refreshing. However, it's really hard for me to follow who's talking, since I know very little about said original characters.

And who's Palne?

I see a lot of original characters, which is refreshing. However, it's really hard for me to follow who's talking, since I know very little about said original characters.

And who's Palne?

Panne I'm guessing. Getting it wrong once I'd say is a typo but twice is probably a mismatched memory or perhaps a change in localisation. The author did mention they're French.

I have nothing but respect for your efforts here, as I know I would flounder terribly writing a story that would do any justice in a language other than my birth tongue. That said, the final result is very rough, and in my opinion you really would go a lot further if you found someone to partner up with who could help you out on editing and proofing.