Question for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon fans

I am deciding who is the best unit for each type of class (without class changing)

I will list a few characters, and I want you guys to tell me who you like the most between design, personality, and usefulness.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Gordin vs Norne vs Castor vs Tomas vs Jeorge

Julian vs Rickard

Palla vs Catria vs Est vs Caeda vs Minerva

Athena vs Navarre vs Radd

Ogma vs Caesar vs Astram vs Samson

Frey vs Cain vs Abel vs Jagen vs Matthis vs Hardin vs Roshea vs Vyland vs Midia vs Arran

Bantu vs Tiki vs Nagi

Barst vs Bord vs Cord vs Darros vs Ymir

Sedgar vs Wolf

Draug vs Roger vs Dolph vs Macellan vs Horace vs Lorenz

Wrys vs Lena vs Maria vs Elice vs Gotoh vs Boah vs Etzel

Merric vs Linde vs Wendell

Beck vs Jake

Thoughts on Xane?

Archers are lame in general but you'll get more mileage out of Castor, and probably Jeorge for his bow rank

Julian by far. Bases and growths

Caeda because Wing Spear is just that OP

Navarre prolly. First in, requires no sacrifices and is always useful

Oguma joins early and has good average growths

Abel or Frey for long term, Jagen for all around. Hardin is always good but just comes a bit later than the rest

Tiki

Barst by far.

I'd say Sedgar, but others say Wolf. They suck w/o reclassing IMO

Horace is the champ Draug probably since he dubs the soonest and can actually do things sometimes

Lena for Warp and Hammerne

Merric for Excalibur and growths, Wendell for Excalibur and Bases

Beck

Xane = amazing, since he's gonna just carbon copy your most optimal unit

If you're playing on Normal mode, honestly you could use anybody, even the worst units, and get pretty great mileage out of them

Edited by Elieson

They all suck, but if you have to pick one, then Castor I guess. Jeorge is a decent filler unit.

Julian is better in every way

Caeda is the best unit in the game. Minerva, Palla and Catria are decent. Est is horseshit (or pegasusshit hehe)

You have to kill units in order to get Athena, but I think she's the best of the 3. Navarre is better than Radd.

Ogma

Cain, Abel and Hardin are all awesome. Oh, and so is Frey, but he's only available on Normal mode. Jagen is good earlygame but his growths suck. The others are really bad.

Tiki

Barst by far

I prefer the one that starts with the best speed (can't remember which, sorry) but they're basically the same

Draug, but neither is good as a knight

Lena

Merric and Wendell.

idk, they're not that different.

Xane is fantastic

Edited by Perfect Nobody

Jeorge works well enough

Julian is the only answer tbh

Caeda but I like Minerva and Palla too

Navarre

Ogma the 12 speed champion

Hardin's my favorite but the Alteans are cool too

Tiki

Barst

Draug I guess

Lena

Merric is my favorite and Wendell is just fantastic

Jake comes first

Xane's cool

EDIT forgot Sedgar

Edited by DavidSW

I used Gordin and Castor (For a little while), Jeorge is probably better though

Julian > Rickard, just better growths overall

Caeda and Catria, Caeda's wing spear is her personal Rapier, and Catria is just better overall imo. Minerva is okay, and Palla + Est went heavily unused after I recruited them.

Navarre, you get him earlier, so more training time

Ogma is always very good

Hardin has a nice starting lance level, but I used Cain and Abel for the most part

Tiki > Bantu, he's not very good, so just save his firestone for Tiki

Barst, the best fighter I ever used

N/A

Draug I guess, but none of the knights/generals stood out in this game for me.

Lena has better growths (Elice for Aum staff)

I used both Merric and Linde (Excalibur + Aura)

Didn't use ballisticians at all, soN/A

Xane works as long as he doesn't untransform at a bad time

Gordin vs Norne vs Castor vs Tomas vs Jeorge

Castor starts out a bit better then Gordin and Norne. Also good promotion, with decent movement and acces to swords. Jeorge is much better in the next game.

Julian vs Rickard

Comes earlier. Both never (hardly ever) gain EXP. Deploy both with plenty of chest.

Palla vs Catria vs Est vs Caeda vs Minerva

Without the w1n Spear this might've been more difficult. I do like Minerva, but never used her much. Can't be bothered to train Pala or Catria at that point of the game. Both much better in the next game.

Athena vs Navarre vs Radd

I would say Athena, because she can go Pegasus, but we can't now XD Navarre has the better base stats.

Ogma vs Caesar vs Astram vs Samson

Ogma. Nuff said.

Frey vs Cain vs Abel vs Jagen vs Matthis vs Hardin vs Roshea vs Vyland vs Midia vs Arran

Ai. Hard pick. Probably will go Hardin for the basic A-lance rank.

Bantu vs Tiki vs Nagi

Can't be bothered to train the other two. I also don't care about Gotoh.

Barst vs Bord vs Cord vs Darros vs Ymir

My favorite character in the game. Also like Cord, but can never make up my mind what to turn him into...

Sedgar vs Wolf

I would use both. But I believe Wolf starts out a bit better? Sedgar does get a little better in the end.

Draug vs Roger vs Dolph vs Macellan vs Horace vs Lorenz

Won't bother with them. Lorenz can be deployed when (read: if) you feel like.

Wrys vs Lena vs Maria vs Elice vs Gotoh vs Boah vs Etzel

I am happy Wendell isn't here. Lena has the best staff rank to start with. Etzel doesn't go with the sages? But odd to me.

Merric vs Linde vs Wendell

Great speed and utility. Ow wait... Right... Still better staff bases and does about the same with spells. Can also use Excalibur from the start IIRC.

Beck vs Jake

Jake comes earlier. Beck might be tricky to recruit. But I would use Beck if you bother to recruit him.

Thoughts on Xane?

Xane can be ANYTHING. Still, I would've preferred Feena. You can always deploy Xane, but he needs one turn to transform. Which isn't a problem early on. Change in a thief if you need more, or a ballistician (sp?) if you need one extra. Even does great for magic (extra Excalibur user), staff bot or how about a copy of the w1n Spear user?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an essay for you.

1) Gordin, cause he can be exploited to all hell and has a chance on hard mode. Norne needs to come in after the tickets to the slaughter line sell out, so... Gordin wins. And castor Promotes to Horsman, so he should not be there.

2) Is this even a question? Julian, cause he's boss. And his bases+growths are much better than the other sap.

3) Catria. I'm a fanboy for her, because she needs sombody to love, and mar-mar is in the sack with Ceada every 4 maps, so that's a lost cause. It's a shame. With FANTASTIC growths, wonderful utility, and loyalty to a cause worth fighting for, I'd cuddle with her myself if she were real. But in all seriousness, Ceada does have the wing spear, which makes her amazing through most of the game. Most of the time, I use them both. Palla has good str, but every thing else is meh. Est is est, and Minerva is there for filler and story sparkles.

4) Radd. Or as I like to call him, Radd Forman, the Dr. Sword-in-your-ass Swordmaster. Good growths, and chapter 9 is a great place to train him with the axe users. Navarre and Athena are both better than him, but I still like using Radd.

5) Ogma. Everyone else is just... why? His bases and story are so much better. Never ever ev er ever ever ever reclass this guy

6) Cain. Abel is the better choice, but his luck. Cain has good base luck for hard mode 5, while his growth is not too bad in all other stats considering that he sets into his own archetype. Frey is excellent, but only on Normal, cause shadow dragon. The others are replacements or cannon fodder. Well, Jagen is helpful, Hardin is a great unit for extra utility, and you need Arran for his weapons.

7) Tiki. Why not train the wonderful loli? Well, Nagi is there, but unless you use the "Kill off tiki with the fachion and then aum her back" trick, she's not worth getting. Bantu is there for tiki. So... it's one big trading chain with the manaketes in this game.

8) Barst, in original class. Others are dead weight, 'cept cord. He's a keeper with dat speed. Barst has blue hair (who doesn't in FE, right?) and his bases can carry him to chapter 7. Then he needs to get speed.

9) Castor should be here. Or not, because both wolf and Sedgar kill him at level 10. Wolf. Purple hair, and has excuses to be reclassed. Anyway, Wolf(like sedgar) is a great support unit, because even with their low bases, they make up for it with some of the best growths in the entire game. I always use one of the two.

10) Rodger. No reason.... Ceada... get your ass back here! (I don't like doga, and roger has good luck) Macellan would be a definate yes, but you said no reclassing....

11) Lena. Who are the other scrubs? Oh, right. Lena's Heal staff, Lena's other heal staff, Merric's bitch, Swam tome and extra fortify staff, old man warp bot, side chapter spell slinger (still love you etzal).

12) Linde. She's hot, she's got aura, she's got magic! What else do you need on a mage or sage in this game? Oh yeah, strength... Energy drop, away! (Merric is still my pick for HM 4&5)

13) Beck if I need him. Comes with the thunderbolt, his growths are similar to jake's, and he's pretty much the same. He's easier to recruit, too...

Xane? He's ok, I guess. I mainly use him for extra staff utility or a disposable unit when grinding for $$$ in the arena. Otherwise, he's an extra tank with useless growths. He only needs HP to be good, and yet he has other growths? WTF!? Well, use him if you need to.

Those are my choices. Remember: Use Julian.

• 2 weeks later...

Foot Archers: None of them. The archers this time seem quite lacklustre.

Thief: Don't really care because I only use thieves when absolutely necessary to open up doors.

Pegasus/Dragonkights: Caeda is the Nintendo heroine that really needs more love, especially in Smash Brothers. I like characters that are somewhat girly yet not a pushover, and Caeda is awesome. To heck with Samus, especially screw Peach, and ...maybe have Zelda step aside too...; Caeda, and for that matter, Lilina/Eirika, Misty/Leaf/Rosa/Serena (Pokémon), and Paula (Earthbound) are the best.

Utility wise, Caeda is the closest to be a dodge tank, and her Wing Spear is OP as many said. If you're happy to spend the time and trouble training Est at the arena (which I think was Chapter 18?), then by all means do so, because it really was worth it.

Swordmasters: I used Navarre, but I am really not sure who is good. Navarre's just not the dodge tank + critical hitter like Lon'qu/Say'ri (Awk), Marisa (SS), and especially Rutger (BB) were.

Mercs: Ogma, of course.

Social knights/Paladins: Abel and Cain - best availability, good stats and versatility. Also Jagen during the first 5-6 chapters, because he can distract the enemies as a meatshield. They also are fond reminders of Alan, Lance, and Marcus from Binding Blade.

Manaketes: Tiki!

Warriors: If you don't mind the somewhat low hit rates at the earlier levels/chapters, then Darros, because his Pirate-speak is awesome. Otherwise, Barst.

Sedgar vs Wolf: Both are awesome! I strongly recommend using them over the foot archers.

Armor knights: Draug. Available from the very start, and has really high defense which helps in this game. (Dodging is near impossible, and Mages don't appear as often as in the other series.)

Clerics: I find that it helps having two clerics, due to the low HP recover amount from staffs compared to other games. Definitely use Lena. The second one can probably be anyone. I prefer using Maria, as I like to think that Maria tries to give her best to help the crew and grow up in the process.

Mages: Merric, due to better availability.

Beck vs Jake: I used Jake, and it certainly helped, but I don't know if Beck is better/worse.

Thoughts on Xane? If you have a spare slot in your party, and if you have Sedgar/Wolf as part of your main team, then definitely use him.

Edited by henrymidfields