FE Special Edition Unboxing and Fates LiveStream Central

Elieson

Sorry, but probably not. The current theory is that Dual Audio wasn't available because of licensing issues, particularly with VALSHE and Renka. After all, Hitori Omou is Renka's debut single (i.e. very important to her career and the company she works with) and videos of the song were taken off Youtube, not to mention that Japan takes voice acting more seriously than the West some contracts (not necessarily with Fates though) to the point that some are so restrictive that the VA's work can't be used at all outside of Japan. It's possible that whoever said no to Dual Audio (probably one of the companies that VALSHE or Renka work for) would've changed their minds if NoA or whoever paid for the license to use it outside of Japan, but if they weren't willing to pay to have it in the base game I doubt they'll change their minds.

It was a shock to have it in Awakening then.

It certainly was never a waste to get the Japanese version.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a shock to have it in Awakening then.

It certainly was never a waste to get the Japanese version.

Well like I said, the problem likely isn't with the game VA's or even VALSHE and Renka themselves. The problem is most likely with the companies that VALSHE and Renka work for (Being Inc and Nippon Columbia for VALSHE, not sure about Renka though). Those guys can be pretty draconian from what I hear and I doubt that any of the Awakening VA's had any major corporate sponsors, so it would've just been them working out a contract with Nintendo instead of Nintendo having to do licensing agreements with a third-party.

Edited by Phillius

Is "We've got trouble!" going to be the "Hi! I'm Daisy!" of Fire Emblem Fates?

Hold... HOLD, I say!

But seriously: probably. I'm now convinced on pairing Selena with Leon now; the extra couple points in defense over magic will be worth not hearing that line over and over.

So I just went back and played a bit of Awakening, and comparing the voices to what I heard from the stream, it feels like the Awakening VAs did a vastly superior job. Bit disappointed

I can't agree more, Awakening VAs are amazing. I'm also disappointed, too... But, well... I'll be used to. x)

Comparisons are always going to be inevitable, but I wonder how things would have turned out if Fates was released first before Awakening. Would people still think the voice acting for Awakening is better than Fates? People have had a lot more time to get used to the voice acting in Awakening that people are going to have higher expectations of the voice acting in Fates, but Fates is still fairly new, we haven't had a chance to really expose ourselves to the voice acting throughout the game because it's not out yet like with Awakening. Don't get me wrong, if you really don't like the voice acting for Fates, that's totally cool because different opinions are great and offer some really interesting conversations and discussions - I'm just offering my own perspective and two cents.

Give it some time - I have a feeling some people's opinions will change somewhat if they allow themselves to hear more of the voice acting. I honestly think it's just a matter of getting used to it. But it could very well be the same deal but it doesn't hurt to see.

Edited by carefreejules

Agreed. I think we will get used to the new voices.

In regards to the controversy breaking out over Elise's age in this game, I'm honestly surprised this is a thing. Her art doesn't depict her as looking any younger than a lot of other anime-styled characters who are supposedly "of age." That's not to say I always thought those characters looked that old (or that people need to believe said age), but this is hardly a surprise given the history of such depictions. What I'm saying is that if we hadn't had any prior knowledge of her age we probably wouldn't be making such a fuss about that line.

And of the two youngest sisters Elise is the only one I'm worried about. I think Sakura can pass as a young adult pretty easily. Her design is more subtle, whereas Elise is pushing the lolita-fashion thing pretty hard (which isn't helping her perceived age).

My point above about the prior knowledge I think deserves a tad more expansion. We're obviously hardcore FE fans, otherwise we wouldn't be here on this board having these discussions. But we (and the gamefaqs crowd, and the reddit crowd, etc.) represent a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the overall English-speaking player base. It's big. Most of that player base will go into this game never having heard the Japanese names. Never having heard the Japanese VAs. Never having known Elise was supposed to be a kid (though, again, maybe scratching their chins skeptically at her art). Most of the English-speaking player base will play these games as they are presented and not have any preconceived ideas about the game at all, and thus none of the kinds of grievances expressed here over and over. That doesn't make those grievances any less real, but I do think we need to put some of our positions into the wider context sometimes.

Edited by Iscaneus

I wonder - would I love Inigo's English voice as much as I do, if I had heard his Japanese voice first? They are quite different interpretations of the same character, after all. I think my first reaction would be pretty negative, just because it's so... different.

That's why I want to give myself some time to get used to the new voices, and not judge too harshly after hearing just a line or two. I mean, I'm not sure if I like Subaki's voice yet, but who knows, maybe it suits him. I just need to hear more. Most of what I've heard of the dub so far seems good, so I'm pleased.

But yeah, there are some weaker performances and the dub isn't quite as solid as Awakening's, so I don't blame you if you aren't impressed.

Comparisons are always going to be inevitable, but I wonder how things would have turned out if Fates was released first before Awakening. Would people still think the voice acting for Awakening is better than Fates? People have had a lot more time to get used to the voice acting in Awakening that people are going to have higher expectations of the voice acting in Fates, but Fates is still fairly new, we haven't had a chance to really expose ourselves to the voice acting throughout the game because it's not out yet like with Awakening. Don't get me wrong, if you really don't like the voice acting for Fates, that's totally cool because different opinions are great and offer some really interesting conversations and discussions - I'm just offering my own perspective and two cents.

Give it some time - I have a feeling some people's opinions will change somewhat if they allow themselves to hear more of the voice acting. I honestly think it's just a matter of getting used to it. But it could very well be the same deal but it doesn't hurt to see.

Kind of have to agree with this. We haven't gotten much of a chance to get used to Fates yet. From what we've heard, the dub doesn't quite seem as good as Awakening's, but it's still early. First impressions are fine and all, but it's sad to see people dismiss the entire thing already.

Were people this up in arms about Awakening's dub when it was first revealed? I would theorize that part of the problem is that the fanbase has gotten much larger since, and more people have gotten well-acquainted with the Japanese version of Fates prior to its English release, but I haven't been around the forums for long, so I don't know how familiar people got with the Japanese versions of past games that were localized.

Kind of have to agree with this. We haven't gotten much of a chance to get used to Fates yet. From what we've heard, the dub doesn't quite seem as good as Awakening's, but it's still early. First impressions are fine and all, but it's sad to see people dismiss the entire thing already.

Were people this up in arms about Awakening's dub when it was first revealed? I would theorize that part of the problem is that the fanbase has gotten much larger since, and more people have gotten well-acquainted with the Japanese version of Fates prior to its English release, but I haven't been around the forums for long, so I don't know how familiar people got with the Japanese versions of past games that were localized.

I would imagine people would have been a lot less critical because I have feeling people (most likely newer fans) didn't have much to compare in terms of voice acting (specifically between past titles with newer titles). If there isn't much of a comparison to be made, people are going to be a lot less critical because of the lack of expectations. Fire Emblem Awakening was a new installment in the series with more voice acting than there was in previous installments, so I think people were a lot more lenient and open.

But because Fates follows the same format, the expectations people will have will inevitably go up which is completely understandable. When you have something that did really well, you kind of want and expect to see if the next installment does the job better.

Edited by carefreejules

GameXplain is also doing an hour-long stream of Conquest from 21:00 GMT today (in about an hour and 20 minutes from writing of this this post) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qfRxpFZWg.

I wonder how far the streamer (Oh dear, is it Derrick again?) will get in an hour-long playthrough though. I'd be surprised if he goes as far as Ch. 6...

GameXplain is also doing an hour-long stream of Conquest from 21:00 GMT today (in about an hour and 20 minutes from writing of this this post) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qfRxpFZWg.

I wonder how far the streamer (Oh dear, is it Derrick again?) will get in an hour-long playthrough though. I'd be surprised if he goes as far as Ch. 6...

He made it through chapters 1-7 pretty well in the Japanese version, and there haven't been any major SNAFU's with Sacred Stones.

Seems like Derrick may actually have improved.

Well, that's bad. I guess there's still hope for us Europeans...

Thanks.

Ah, not really. We've got one debut single in the Japanese version and another singer doing voicework. I'm 99.9% sure this is a licensing issue.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest Stream (GameXplain)

Just started. They're starting at the Branch, so they are going Right into Conquest

Chapter 6: Embrace The Dark

"Your browser isn't supported :( YouTube Gaming requires a browser which supports modern web standards."

...What... . When did Firefox become so outdated?

Edited by The DanMan