What are your thoughts on the localized version of Fates?

RockinNova

Personally, I think they could of done a better job with the lip syncing; I feel the lip syncing is off in some of the cutscenes and skinship. The dub for the most part is acceptable, and I do like every characters voice(even Felicia's). Overall the localized version is acceptable, but I feel it's a step down from awakenings. What are your thoughts from what you've seen so far? Do you think NoA could of done a much better job?

*I can't wait for this game to come out :): *

Edited by RockinNova

It is quite a good localization imo. The voice-acting for the most part is good and even Felicia is growing on me. Some of the localized names I find better to the original like Aqua -> Azura and Joker -> Jakob. I am just glad they kept the Live2d models, I can take that as a valid compromise.

Umm, I don't think it's wrong to criticize/praise what we've seen, but I really think a thread like this should wait until maybe a week after Fates has been out. That way, we can all experience a full playthrough, where we can judge all of the dialogue from the story and supports, not just the brief snippets we've seen. I honestly don't think we're at a point where we can pass a verdict yet, at least I don't feel like I am

Edited by Avalanche

To summarize my thoughts:

-I am very unhappy that there is no Japanese audio.

-I am satisfied that they preserved most of the skinship the way they did, retaining the Live2D animations, having English voices, and keeping the support bonus - though I would have preferred they preserved the Japanese feature as it was.

-I do not like most of the English voices.

-I do not like most of the name changes, some I am fine with, only a handful I actually like.

-I don't yet know how to feel about the dialogue and character changes. We have little information so it is yet to be seen.

-I love the English version of Azura's songs, though I like the Japanese better.

Overall, the Polygon stream showed that things aren't nearly as bad as I thought, but I'm still disappointed with no dual audio and the name changes. I could deal with having the English version now, though I may end up importing anyway.

Umm, I don't think it's wrong to criticize/praise what we've seen, but I really think a thread like this should wait until maybe a week after Fates has been out. That way, we can all experience a full playthrough, where we can judge all of the dialogue from the story and supports, not just the brief snippets we've seen. I honestly don't think we're at a point where we can pass a verdict yet, at least I don't feel like I am

Merely from what we've seen, not for the whole game. I'm content with what I've seen so far.

That's fine, I would just clarify that you want opinions on what we've seen, not the game as a whole. Honestly, just clarifying that in the title would be great

Edited by Avalanche

I could care less about the lack of dual audio since I don't understand a lick of Japanese anyway. The voices in the dub are just fine for me. I also could care less about the removal of the petting feature since it was a little strange anyway. At least we can still see the 3D models and get support boosts. Overall, the game looks fun so far and I cannot wait to get my SE copy and choose my path!

Some of the changes I've seen for the localization have actually made me tentatively excited for this game. I was very disappointed in the game after reading how it handled it's story to where I went from hype to swearing off the game. Now, I'm a bit hopeful that the localization will change or at least tone down some of the gripes I had with the story. I'm actually kicking myself in the pants for not pre-ordering the special edition when i was able to. Still, If by some miracle I find it at a store, I will buy it. If not, I may pick up Conquest first even though a lot of people had problem's with its story. At least it and XCOM 2 will satisfy my strategy itch.

Wasn't planning on using the Japanese audio, but seeing as I expect sequels to have all the features of their predecessors in addition to knew features (providing they all make narrative sense) and I wasn't going to be downloading the game, I'm bothered by its exclusion.

Skinship is okay. It feels rushed and slightly awkward, but I hope that it gets lengthier the higher your support level is.

The biggest problem I have is the lack of proper lip synching. It just doesn't seem like anybody tried.

I agree with the TC in that it feels like a step down from Awakening.

Some things certainly could have been better.

-From what I've read of the game's localized script, it's kind of lacking that spice that Awakening's writing had. It may be too soon to tell, though.

-Lip syncing is off, but I don't really care that much because I imagine it's hard to get the dialogue to match whilst simultaneously not changing the sentence too much from what it's supposed to mean. I'd rather the characters' dialogue be as true to their character and the situation as possible rather than be morphed for the sake of OCD lip syncing. However, the the English lyrics to Lost in Thoughts All Alone sound kinda awkward, even if Rena Strober did quite a nice job singing it, imo.

-Voices seem to be hit or miss. You've got some characters with voice actors who really sound like they know what they're doing (Leo), and some characters with voice actors who sound like it was their first practice session of their first time acting (Felicia). I can't think of the last time I played a game where I felt such a difference between what I feel is the best and worst of the cast.

-The removal of dual-audio doesn't bother me, personally. I've already played through the Japanese version anyway, so it's part of the fun for me to see how the characters feel different with their new voices.

-I'm on the fence about the skinship removal. I don't really care that we can't rub faces anymore, it got old pretty quickly anyway, but I'm kinda bummed that they may have cut out a lot of lines.

Overall, I think it's a decent localization, but mostly, I'm just glad that it's almost here and I can experience the game in a new way.

Everything that happened has been extremely salty.

Fates is surrounded by a huge amount of controversy with huge raging debates on both sides. This will leave a mark that won't be going away anytime soon. While I do look forward to playing the game, my hype and excitement has been disappointed. I felt like the localization team took a step back, despite making some great progress.

I am personally disappointed with the whole dual audio thing. I can give skinship a past simply because of specific reasons, but dual audio played a major part of my excitement. I enjoy watching anime and I liked their voices since most of them fit their character. Having that option to choose which voice we want makes me happy. I know a lot of you don't care about it since you don't understand it, but that's okay. It might be because I was raised in Japan.

I will still buy the game, only because I could learn about it before I buy the Japanese version later. I am still excited to a certain degree..but the entire thing has just been so disappointing.

Not good. Don't like a lot of the voices, don't like a lot of the name changes, lip syncing is quite bad, really dislike whatever issues they had where they decided to not have dual audio because of the first, and while I do like the replacement for it, I dislike the principle of skinship being changed - that and it's still annoying that they're pretending it never existed.

I think it's a bad localization. But from what I've seen I tend to be in the minority so eh.

Edited by Tryhard

I'm content with everything I've seen so far. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the removal of dual audio, but my guess is that they didn't get the copyright for some of the voices, and I can live with that. And the English VAs certainly aren't as bad as everyone tries to make us believe. (Yes, even Felicia is growing on me, I'm starting to find her adorable ^^)

Localization HAS been clunky, I won't deny that, and I feel they could have managed a few things better, but overall I'm happy with what we're getting.

I am mostly bothered with what I have seen so far. Glad I imported when I had the chance.

-Voice acting is good for the most part, but there are a few who are pretty bad (Felicia and Hinoka for instance). Even some of the good ones also don't really fit the character, or at least change the audiences perception of who the character is supposed to be (Marx voice being to high, taking away a lot of his nobility and severeness, Takumi's voice actor is not really bringing the insecure teenager vibe across). This is why dual audio removal is even worse.

- At least Live2D is in in some form, but some very nice lines that add a lot of personality are gone now. Shame really.

- The last time I forgave a game for lacking proper lip-synch was Final Fantasy X, 15 years later this is just baffeling.

And now for the biggest flaw:

Changes to the script. And not in the "let's flesh out the story" way, but by removing certain lines that make characters more sympathetic. I know they only mean well by making the Hoshidans more grey, but the way they are going about it will turn off a lot of people new to the game. And don't get me started on them changing Takumi, an already flawed and grey character.

If they aren't more careful they might as well cancel Birthright as a stand-alone version. And some of the other changes (more than a few of the names) seem to have been just for the sake of changing it, which is pretty bad.

Unless they fix some of the more glaring issues in the japanese version, I have to say that this localisation is very bad.

Edited by Nanima²

While I do have some good things to say I am not a fan of some things either.

• I like that NOA did something about the skipship and took out the weird face touching. Good job NOA.
  • I'm glad they changed a certain support in the western versions.
  • Dual audio would have been very nice. I don't never used the feature in a game yet, but I know a lot of people who are excited for it.
  • While some of the voices are good I dislike a good amount of the voices in this game especially Felicia's.
  • I am most certainly not a fan of what is being done with Hoshido. I understand that they wanted to grey up Hoshido more, but making some of the Hoshidians and royal siblings (except for Sakura) racist was not the way to do it. It can be a turn off for some people. I hope the game calls them out on it in some way.
  • From what I have seen so far some of the script got changed and not for fleshing out the story reasons. This is not good because a lot of the lines that got changed or cut are important to some characters.
  • Some of the name changes really are nice, but on the Hoshido side especially some of the name changes are a bit questionable. It's not that bad though.

Overall at this point I think this localization is decent. It definitely could have been done better in some areas. At least it isn't worse.

Edited by Frelia

I do think it is too soon to tell, but....

The English voices are growing on me. Although I do think Felicia's is a bit rough.

I didn't notice the bad lip synching? Oops

The removal of the audio is a bit unfortunate, but I was never planning on using the Japanese audio anyway. Therefore, personally, I don't think it's a big deal, but I do sympathize for the people who wanted the Japanese voices.

I am fine how they handled skinship. I am glad to see that the Live2D models aren't being wasted.

I like most of the names. And I don't like some of the names.

Could they have done a better job localizing? Sure. But they could have done a lot worse

Personally, I like the new changes. If NOA left in the skinship that would have hurt my view of the game to some extent because the idea of 13 year olds pretending to suggestively rub people's faces is pretty cringe worthy. Also no dual audio is not a problem. I don't understand Japanese so the dub is automatically better for me. Overall, this game went from looking like an unfortunate misstep for the series, to an interesting new title I'm excited to give a chance to.

I go into localization as "things will be changed no matter what" and that's something I've learned for a long time so it never surprises or fazes me when I hear of things being changed. Because it's something that I expected anyway so it's not anything that new to me.

Aka. I just don't give a fuck hahahaha. I'm very open to changes.

I like it so far. I was fine with skinship being removed as long as it was replaced, and it was. I like most of the names, especially Xander since that name is a very rarely used name.

I also really like Benoit's new name. Benny makes me laugh because I think it still sounds more thuggish, but in the Italian Mafia kind of way.

Dual Audio doesn't bug me because I never used it to begin with. I really don't like the majority of Japanese voice acting because of the whole anime moe screeches. Gets annoying for me and hurts my ears.

Edited by Tolvir

What's up with that "dual audio" stuff ? Did I miss something ?

Edited by Seo