Round 1: Writes and Misc! Read post first! (Multiple choice)

Scribbles 2015 Writes and Misc Elimination Round  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the Writes entries you like the most.

• TALLY. PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS.
    • Actually SMT x FE
    • After the War of Heroes
    • Catnaps
    • Chained Inside
    • Crimson Flair, Rose Scented Air
    • Deja Vu
    • Do the Gods Listen When We Pray?
    • Everything Went Dark: White Rabbits, White Lies
    • Fire Emblem: Sacrifice
    • Flying Steed Study
    • For the Living
    • Forging Bonds
    • Go to Sleep, Marx!
    • Hope Never Dies
    • I Now Pronounce You Man and Tree
    • It Never Occurred to Me to Give This a Title
    • Lissa Emblem: The Verge of History
    • Lord of Renais
    • On the Plains
    • Rebirth VI
    • Second Chance
    • The Adventures of the Crimean Liberation Army
    • The Answer
    • The Beautiful Princess of Peerless Beauty
    • The Car of Legend
    • The Destruction of the Taliver Bandits
    • The Dragon's Gate Beckons
    • The Impossible Choice
    • The Last Order
    • The Mirror's Fate
    • The New Dark Dragon
    • The New Fang
    • The Paradox Child
    • The Path Thereafter
    • The Question of Peace
    • The Sinner and the Saint
    • To the Skirt Chasers of Fire Emblem
    • Tools of War
    • Unshakable Faith from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Musical
    • Verdant Crimson
  2. 2. Choose the Misc entries you like the most.

• Amiibo Paint Jobs
    • Anna Cosplay
    • Aqua Song's New Arrangement
    • Eliwood and Ninian
    • Fan-made OC OOAK Heron Doll
    • Fates T-Shirts!
    • Fates Winter Gear! Don't let a little snow and ice decide your fate.
    • FE6 25th Anniversary GBA SP Paint
    • Fire Emblem Medley
    • Fire Emblem SNES Tribute Arrangement
    • Grima Sculpture
    • Handmade Tactician Coat
    • New FE Ideas
    • Origami Grima
    • Paladin Cosplay
    • Robin and Robin Bring the Thunder
    • Sack Aqua
    • SMT Q FE Opening
    • Studying the Art of Spellcasting
    • The Fire Emblem
    • The Journey
    • Twin Road Medley

Really wanted to thank everyone who actually read my story, let alone voted for it. It was literally a last minute thing I submitted after realizing I wasn't going to finish a slightly more ambitious story I had planned to my satisfaction, so I wasn't expecting any votes since its a fates story (a game I haven't had the pleasure to play yet, like many) and the end result isn't the best it could possibly be. I'm honestly both really proud and embarrassed of my work, if that's possible; I'm not used to putting my work out there for lots to see, so I'm really surprised I got over a hundred views and a few comments. Plus good critique. I'm beyond words that people enjoyed it; its the best feeling to take out of this event, that someone enjoyed your work. At least its what I really wanted, seeing as I entered with no intention or expectation to win anything-----well, other than the badges. I really like those. XD

Overall, I really liked this event; looking through all the submissions and having people read mine (The Impossible Choice) was so much fun! I hope we do this every year. Maybe I'll be able to enter my original submission at some point. Or a cosplay I had planned. Good to know those are in the running too~! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no votes for my story. Seems I have a long way too go.

Can't wait until next year!

Edited by Nym

Still no votes for my story. Seems like a long way too go.

Can't wait until next year!

I actually wonder about that. I didn't personally vote for your story (I set myself a strict 15 limit for votes) but it didn't seem any worse than the a lot of the others. Overall the voting has surprised me with several stories getting attention that I don't think are all that great while others that do something interesting getting shuffled under the rug.

I actually wonder about that. I didn't personally vote for your story (I set myself a strict 15 limit for votes) but it didn't seem any worse than the a lot of the others. Overall the voting has surprised me with several stories getting attention that I don't think are all that great while others that do something interesting getting shuffled under the rug.

I think there's plenty of room for a very interesting conversation on that when the dust settles, as I've been grousing about the same thing privately to a couple of friends.

I think there's plenty of room for a very interesting conversation on that when the dust settles, as I've been grousing about the same thing privately to a couple of friends.

You know, the writes have a hard time already - lots of people admitted to not even reading them, some people only read some (either only the short ones, or avoiding things involving Fates) and just looking at the numbers its clear way more people were attracted to the art than reading - do we really also need to bring ourselves down with all this talk about how some were "undeserving" of attention?

I mean the art section is filled with nothing but supportive comments. Even a painting that was half finished has no remark about how it "could have been done better". Yet the stories are littered with critiques and grammar corrections. Constructive criticism is great! But the people that entered aren't going back and re-writing their stories - they're already submitted to a contest. If the goal was to help them grow as a writer then criticism is good - but that wasn't the goal... the goal was to have fun with a contest and vote for the entries you liked.

I know you both are passionate about the entries you like (or maybe you have entries your own you wished were receiving more votes or something) but I just wanted to put my two-cents in. This should be uplifting! Not about petty disputes... At least, that's my opinion. u,u

On a different note - I was half a heartbeat away from not entering. I've never written "fanfics" and I wasn't sure my style of writing would be wanted. I fretted over my entry for a long time, finally broke down and had a mod read over it, made changes based on their suggestions and... even after that, still wasn't sure if I would commit.

I'm super glad that I did! This contest has been fun, a great distraction from life (and the countdown to Fates), and I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to vote (even if it wasn't for me). Even if when you're casting votes you think it doesn't matter, I know for a fact the creators watch nervously for even a single mark of approval. Thank you to anyone and everyone that voted! :3

Edited by Kakeyo

You know, the writes have a hard time already - lots of people admitted to not even reading them, some people only read some (either only the short ones, or avoiding things involving Fates) and just looking at the numbers its clear way more people were attracted to the art than reading - do we really also need to bring ourselves down with all this talk about how some were "undeserving" of attention?

I mean the art section is filled with nothing but supportive comments. Even a painting that was half finished has no remark about how it "could have been done better". Yet the stories are littered with critiques and grammar corrections. Constructive criticism is great! But the people that entered aren't going back and re-writing their stories - they're already submitted to a contest. If the goal was to help them grow as a writer then criticism is good - but that wasn't the goal... the goal was to have fun with a contest and vote for the entries you liked.

I know you both are passionate about the entries you like (or maybe you have entries your own you wished were receiving more votes or something) but I just wanted to put my two-cents in. This should be uplifting! Not about petty disputes... At least, that's my opinion. u,u

I didn't mean it that way at all. They all deserve attention. It's just the way the votes fell subverted my own expectations.

I didn't mean it that way at all. They all deserve attention. It's just the way the votes fell subverted my own expectations.

I wanted to steer the conversation away from nitpicking and more about what was positive about the experience. You and Balcerzak clearly took the time to read each entry and carefully select stories - you guys are awesome. Again, just wanted to throw out observations and implore for a more supportive atmosphere.

Edited by Kakeyo

I think having the misc. stuff with the written actually hurt the written, as less written stories will go to the finals because the voting is tied together (and less of the misc. stuff will too, but it doesn't seem to be as impacted). I know why the 2 categories with the lower amount of entries were grouped together, so this is not a complaint, just an observation.

perhaps in the future, instead of just doing a set number of entries gets moved to the semi-finals, maybe do all categories that have over X entries have X amount going to the semi-finals, and categories that have less then X, have either a set amount Y, or make Y a percentage of how many entries there were in that category, that go on to the semi-finals.

then you will not have one category potentially taking votes from the other type of thing.

Just some thoughts.

also, congratulations for all who entered. It takes a lot of courage to put your work out there for others to see.

Out of curiosity what happens if there's a tie in the voting? Like say there's a top 24 but the 25th spot had three or four stories with equal votes. Do they all go through or none of them? A personal pic or a random lottery? A re trial even? Seems like there's seven potential solutions but none seem like the obvious correct choice.

I think having the misc. stuff with the written actually hurt the written, as less written stories will go to the finals because the voting is tied together (and less of the misc. stuff will too, but it doesn't seem to be as impacted). I know why the 2 categories with the lower amount of entries were grouped together, so this is not a complaint, just an observation.

perhaps in the future, instead of just doing a set number of entries gets moved to the semi-finals, maybe do all categories that have over X entries have X amount going to the semi-finals, and categories that have less then X, have either a set amount Y, or make Y a percentage of how many entries there were in that category, that go on to the semi-finals.

then you will not have one category potentially taking votes from the other type of thing.

Just some thoughts.

also, congratulations for all who entered. It takes a lot of courage to put your work out there for others to see.

Yup, I know where you're coming from. Next year the categories will be completely separate with their own prize pools.

Out of curiosity what happens if there's a tie in the voting? Like say there's a top 24 but the 25th spot had three or four stories with equal votes. Do they all go through or none of them? A personal pic or a random lottery? A re trial even? Seems like there's seven potential solutions but none seem like the obvious correct choice.

If there's a tie, all of the submissions involved with the tie will move on. People are allowed to vote for as many submissions as they want, so if there is a tie then all of them deserve to be in the finals.

Yup, I know where you're coming from. Next year the categories will be completely separate with their own prize pools.

If there's a tie, all of the submissions involved with the tie will move on. People are allowed to vote for as many submissions as they want, so if there is a tie then all of them deserve to be in the finals.

Great. I just need two more votes and I'm set then. Come on mysterious internet goers who don't know which story is mine. Don't fail me now.

Edited by Jotari

I was so busy this past week I forgot this thing even existed. (This seems to be a common trend lately.)

Oh well, I didn't have time to read anything so I wouldn't have been able to vote anyway XD

Dang it! I had so much on my mind I couldn't read all the entries in time! I did read a good amount beforehand (the other day), but I probably missed a few good one. :'(

On the other hand, I saw all the miscellaneous stuff and they were pretty good! I did not hold back in the slightest while voting (too many good stuff)! :3

Edit: I need to come back later and finishing reading them all...properly.

Edited by Busterman64