Localization vs Original

Tolvir

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, Hinoka does say Norian Scum in chapter 6, but that could be just the situation since the events that had just occurred in chapter 5. I hope so since in a way it made me dislike Hoshido a bit with how racist and how they didn't care to understand Nohr (Not Garon, but the people of Nohr) situation. It should be about ending Garon's reign, not destroying Nohr because it's not the soldiers/people's fault their king is an asshole. And it always seemed to me that Corrin didn't care about his siblings in Nohr once he switched, could be wrong but that's what it seemed like in the original.

maybe, tho i do remember people saying that hoshido was too "goody good without any flaws" so adding in racism could tone down the "perfect heavenly kingdom" aspect down.

I'm actually okay with the changes here. One of my biggest criticisms is the story. Despite being set up in the "grey vs. gray" morality kind of thing, the game puts too much favoritism on the Hoshido side of things. I think it's a right step for Nintendo of America to add more aggressive and hostile rhetoric on the Hoshido characters to highlight the more grey side of things. Now, I'm curious how Nintendo of America would handle the children characters since I know they weren't given much personality in the Japanese version and are only there as "throw-ins".

I feel that the localization is focusing a bit too much on humor, which kind of flies in the face of the serious tone of the game. Heck I think they're less like real people now, since eveyone's a joker, they lose some individuality. I actually like the original version of Subaki and Hana's arguement, since it showed some contrast between them and I felt it fit in with how people of their station would act according to Japanese culture. The localized version has them both came off as teenage brats squabbling over something petty, a trope I'm a bit sick of.

That said, this list is kind of inaccurate as it's only a summary of the differences in terms of ideas. It doesn't give us the actual lines or the execution of the ideas, so we can't actually compare the 2 versions properly.

Hey, first post after a year or so of lurking!

I'm personally okay with this change, mostly because her being angry rather than scared is actually more characteristic of a combat medic than a shy little girl.

Which she is, by the way.

Yes, she is generally portrayed as a shy person in the story, but one thing I really like about this localization is that when she is in the middle of the action, she goes into a bit of a zone. She's focused on her duty as a medic, and ignores her meek tendencies so she can do her job. JUST like a real combat medic. I'm really happy with this change.

And other than that, hell yeah I'm excited for this. These changes look great.

I'm seconding this. I have really bad social anxiety, but I'm a student aide at my school. I spend the whole class period running around delivering papers, packages, letters, whatever. Anything resembling anxiety disappears 100% when I'm on the job; I have no issue walking into classrooms and talking to unfamiliar people. Sakura also being like this too is pretty awesome-- It is realistic, and it doesn't "fix" her "flaws", it develops them and gives it context, and makes her seem more complex. I don't know how long she's worked as a healer, but with social anxiety, if you're in a familiar place surrounded by familiar people, there isn't really an issue. Her familiar place would be the battle field, surrounded by her colleagues.

There's another one up for Birthright 6, Conquest 6 and Conquest 7!

Spoiler tags for length.

Chapter 6:(Birthright)

• The Title: Reaching for the Light --> In the White Light

• Xander says he feared that the Hoshidans would brainwash Corrin. No mention of this in the original

• Xander says that Garon will forgive Corrin. In the original, he says that he knows Garon considers Corrin family too

• Corrin calls Garon a "coward and a liar" in the localization. He's all around much more savage on Garon now

• Corrin pleads with Ryoma to stop the fighting. In the original, he just says "Ryoma..."

• Ryoma tells Corrin that dying as a martyr is pointless. In the original he talks about how Corrin was chosen by the Yato to save the world

• Camilla adds in "Dear, I was born ready" before her pre battle quote.

• In the original, Leo remarks that he doesn't tolerate backstabbers. In the localization he says Corrin's coming back no matter what

• Elise is more cheerful and confident that they'll win. In the original, her expression is more serious and she says she'll do her best

• Takumi calls the enemy stupid Nohrian jerks before swearing to kill them. In the original he talks about how he'll avenge Mikoto

• Sakura says she won't let the Nohrians hurt Corrin. In the original she says that she won't let them hurt Hoshido

• The conversation with Felicia is a bit different. In the original, Corrin asks what Felicia's doing there and she explains how she's been looking for him and offers her assistance, then the battle starts. In the localization, Felicia asks if Corrin is OK. Corrin says he's not and that Felicia couldn't have picked a worst time to show up. Felicia shows offense, but says it doesn't matter since she's here now and will stick by him no matter what.

• Xander's generic boss line has him talk about how he won't tolerate traitors. In the original he says he'll kill all who resist him

• Corrin wonders if he's destined to fight Nohr forever. In the original, he expresses sorrow at having to fight his Nohrian siblings

• Lilith adds a bit where she apologizes for startling Felicia by warping her so suddenly

Chapter 6(Conquest):

• The title: The Descent to Darkness --> Embrace the Dark

• In the localization, Corrin adds a small bit and says his heart won't allow him to betray Nohr

• In the original, Ryoma accuses Garon of trying to kill Corrin specifically. In the localization, he accuses Garon of putting Corrin at risk just to hurt Hoshido.

• He also talks about the incident at the plaza as if Xander would already know about it. In the localization, he speaks as though this will be the first time Xander heard of it.

• Ryoma tells his siblings to attack Corrin. In the original, he tells Corrin to draw his weapon

• Ryoma threatens to kill Xander if he tries to tell him what to do again, in response to Xander's suggestion to just let Corrin go. In the original, he says he won't give up on Corrin

• In the localization after Xander refutes Ryoma and says Corrin chose Nohr of his own free will, he adds a part about how their familial bond is stronger than their blood ties

• Xander calls the Hoshido siblings pitiful and foolish for not accepting Corrin's choice, before bragging about his mighty Siegfried. In the original, he remarks "interesting..."

• In the original, Leo wants to show the Hoshidans their bond. In the localization, Leo wants to show them what a true family is like

• In the localization, Elise wants to wrap up the fight quickly, because fuck this war, she skipped breakfast!

• In the localization, it's implied Felicia took so long to catch up because she slipped and knocked herself out on a rock

• Yukimura takes a somewhat more sarcastic/condescending tone with Corrin before getting serious in the localization (picture Jade Curtis)

• In the localization, Corrin wishes that the Hoshidans will forgive him for what he's done. His whole thing about ending the war is also more wordy. In the original, he implies that he is not worthy of forgiveness.

• When Lilith comes along, Corrin is smiling and greets her. In the original, he asks if something is wrong and looks more serious.

• Corrin expresses that he wants to show Felicia the "My Castle". In the original, they are getting transported before he even mentions it.

• In the localization, Lilith expresses sympathy for the choice Corrin had to make

Chapter 7

• Title: A Forced Revelation --> A Dragon's Decree

• The conversation was such word to word a match I almost checked my tabs!

• One big difference is after Xander and Iago's back and forth, Garon tells Iago to stop talking. In the original, he told Xander to stop.

• Even the damn woods share the same name!? Fuck it, I'm doing chapter 6.

• Lilith clears her throat to remind Corrin that she's with him when he says he feels lonely. In the original, she floats there wordlessly

• Corrin says he never imagined the faceless would be in the forest. In the original, he asks himself why the Faceless would be there.

• Corrin assures Felicia that she technically didn't break the conditions of his trial, as he was only told to defeat the ice tribe by himself, which has nothing to do with the Faceless. In the original, he says he'll explain the situation to Garon later

• Felicia says "we can do this" before fighting the faceless. In the original she says "I-I'll do my best"

• Silas talks about how Corrin's favorite dish at the picnic was vegetarian chowder. No mention of the meal in the original

• Conquest!Corrin remembers Silas as clearly as he does in the original.(combined with the whole veggie chowder/surf and turf thing, makes me think that there are going to be quite a few changes about Corrin depending on his choice)

• Silas passive aggressively calls out Elise for getting mad at him for rushing ahead of her, when she did the same thing to her actual retainers. In the original, he expresses shock that she left her retainers behind

• Corrin smiles at Elise's cuteness and tells her to take it easy on Silas. In the original his expression is more serious and he worriedly says "Elise..."

• Arthur refers to both Effie and himself as "allies of Justice". In the original, he focuses only on himself

• Effie pleads with Elise to not sneak off behind their backs again. In the original, she admonishes herself for losing sight of Elise.

• Arthur says he's bound to be wherever injustices are, then adds that he can also be found wherever Elise is. In the original he only says the first part.

• Arthur fell in a swamp 5 times in the original. In the localization he only fell in one.

• In the original, Elise cuts Arthur off in the middle of his story to talk about how he has bad luck, then he continues. In the localization, she waits for him to finish.

• Effie doesn't use ellipses in her speech as much as she does in the original.

Unfortunately, GameXplain ended the stream right as he finished the map, so this is where it ends. Next up is Revelation!

As a side note, Treehouse seems to have gone back and taken out most instances of saying "big brother/sister" and putting their respective names there instead. Even Elise doesn't use it much. I like to think they read my comments about it on reddit. Either that or I'm getting my memories confused.

Original Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/44mnse/difference_between_the_localization_and_the_fan/

I'm really curious how they translated the descriptions for unit personal skills. Some units's, like Nina's and Flora's, have somewhat complex conditions to meet, so I hope the translation makes some sense for those cases.

Edited by Leif

Wow, so in the Conquest route, Ryouma's reaction will become more ruthless. I kinda like the changes as it does highlight the "dark" side of Hoshido (they believe in peace, but they can be really ruthless when it comes to Corrin "betraying" Hoshido).

[spoiler=in regards to Conquest route]I'm wondering how the localization team would handle that chapter where Elise gets sick and Ryouma trying to manipulate this situation in getting Corrin to side with him. I think the localization team go into the lines of Ryouma telling Corrin to either join Hoshido or he will kill her off and not giving single fucks if she lives or dies

Looks like theres a lot of good shit in there. (the bit about Ryoma calling martyrdom pointless is incredibly refreshing and a welcome sight after the disgust i had to endure over Emmeryn.) There also looks to be some lamer stuff in there. Why does Takumi call the Nohrians big dumb jerks instead of what he originally said? The original part here makes more sense and doesnt make the character look like a child. Seems like they tried to lighten the mood in some spots. Ill see in a couple weeks if this was to good effect.

Less Corrin worship, bloodthirsty Ryoma, less vicious Nohr siblings, Corrin actually having a personality, Felicia and Effie being more assertive, Cyrus/Elise bickery....

Im in love already.

Well I mean wasn't he the "most hotblooded" of the siblings and then they didn't even show it at all?

Peri was also supposed to have flat-out split personalities, but we know how that turned out.

I think they just used old character profiles for the Famitsu info.

Ryoma was too calm in the original. To a fault. I guess to preserve his nobility or whatever, but he only let his anger get the better of him during chapter 24-25 when...

you say that Takumi died?

Also him being more violent in general makes sense since Corrin doesnt have a bond with Hoshido anyway.

Wow, these are great! I hope that someone will eventually do them for all the chapters.

For the most part, I'm liking the localization. Bloodthirsty Ryouma is beautiful, and the Hoshidans seem more prejudiced/aggressive towards Nohrians overall, which definitely helps to gray the country a bit.

But I don't like the change where instead of telling Corrin to draw his sword (and come at him), he tells his siblings to attack Corrin. Sure, make him ruthless, but this seems somewhat out of character for a samurai prince.

I'm also not a fan of the change in Sakura's personality for the reasons people have stated above. It reminds me a bit of the change in Sumia in Awakening...

And vegetable tofu changed into surf and turf... cries since I'm a vegetarian :(

[spoiler=in regards to Conquest route]I'm wondering how the localization team would handle that chapter where Elise gets sick and Ryouma trying to manipulate this situation in getting Corrin to side with him. I think the localization team go into the lines of Ryouma telling Corrin to either join Hoshido or he will kill her off and not giving single fucks if she lives or dies

[spoiler=] I'm actually very curious about that as well. I don't think they will go as far as him saying that he will kill her off, but they could certainly go with something like "I don't care if she dies," and I wouldn't like him any less for it. He's not a saint and really doesn't have an obligation to care about an enemy healer/spellcaster

Edited by Tsuky

If I play both the Japanese with the fan translation and then later the English localization, it will be interesting to experience the changes and differences firsthand. I suppose that will add more depth and interest to future playthroughs.

I don't know what to think of the changes now, not knowing the context of the whole story. They don't seem too bad though.

Edited by XaosLogos

I'm really liking how the choice really seems to bring out different sides in the characters.

I remember that being one of the key points they talked about when the game was first unveiled a year ago, but the localization seems to really be bringing out those different sides of people when faced with certain circumstances.

I liked most of conquest!chapter 6, except Ryouma telling everyone to attack Corrin because he really likes his 1v1s. Like in both Hoshi!6 and Nohr!26 wher e he doesn't step in to help/waits a little before that can be attributed to his stubborn samurai 1v1 pride and not interrupting another fighter's 1v1 but now it's ??? feels really OOC. More ruthless in general is cool but it doesn't really have to sacrifice pretty big parts of his character for that.

On the Sakura point, while in a vaccum I like American Sakura's general character, I feel like Japanese Sakura's social anxiety-yet lots of inner strength is pretty good characterization and should've been kept. Considering we have a rather large female cast and a lot of them are confident, battle-hardened warriors (I'm planning to write a compare and constrast between Hinoka, Hana, and Rinka at some point, hell) someone who's shy but still very strong is a good contrast to many of the women who are already very confident and outwardly tough, and we don't need everyone to be super confident all the time. Sakura stands up for herself plenty of times even with her social anxiety, and even takes up a weapon against Kamui when they invade--she's not a doormat by any means.