One good thing, one bad thing in every pokemon generation you've played

Nobody

This is hardly exclusive to Sinnoh. Entei/Raikou/Suicune in Gen II (who are also arguably harder to grab than either Mesprit or Cresselia, as they can be lost forever and can still end battles if they use Roar even after Mean Look), Latias/os in Gen III, and Tornadus/Thunderus in Gen V.

And the legendary birds in Platinum, Latias/os in HGSS as well, and the legendary birds again to some degree in X/Y. It makes me glad they finally dropped the idea completely in OR/AS and hopefully S/M.

Edited by Crystalized Silver

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the legendary birds in Platinum, Latias/os in HGSS as well, and the legendary birds again to some degree in X/Y. It makes me glad they finally dropped the idea completely in OR/AS and hopefully S/M.

The idea was dropped in BW2 actually, and hopefully it stays go.

And if it doesn't stay go, at least let the amount of roamers ≤ amount of Master Balls.

The idea was dropped in BW2 actually, and hopefully it stays go.

And if it doesn't stay go, at least let the amount of roamers ≤ amount of Master Balls.

I'd add that the roamers should be like Latios and Latias in that regard too. Easier to track that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Gen I:

Good: loved the infinite item glitch, even if it wasn't supposed to be there... Makes going through Stadium much easier...

Bad: Psychic types were way too overpowered, especially Mewtwo

Gen II:

Good: loved being able to go to Kanto, also had a lot of much needed balance changes, and introduced Pokémon Stadium 2, one of (if not the) best games in the franchise...

Bad: Kanto cut down (although a lot of this is fixed in the remakes), difficult to grind levels, and the final boss has a level spike for no real reason that no player is going to be able to reach without a lot of grinding...

Gen III:

Good: especially good music, first incarnation of the Battle frontier, double battles were fun even if there were not many

Bad: Much more Surfing than needed, Regis were almost impossible to get without a guide; if you wanted to complete the Pokedex, it was a nightmare, requiring no less than five games, two systems, and a Link Cable...

Gen IV:

Good: a lot of cool evolutions for older Pokémon that buffed them up significantly, had good difficulty in comparison to previous games

Bad: Diamond and Pearl were basically the beta before Platinum, once a day limit for transferring (unless you have multiple systems and GBA games)

Gen V:

Good: Had a good story in Black and White, excellent post game in the sequels, along with the Medal Rally

Bad: Needed both games get everything, and the native Pokémon were not all that good in comparison to previous ones

Gen VI:

Good: good graphics, with a wide variety of Pokémon to choose from

Bad: not a lot of new Pokémon, Mega Evolutions not handled well (should have been new Pokémon or new evolutions and set of simple new Formes), very incomplete (ORAS in particular got hit hard, lacking the Battle frontier), postgame missions felt unnecessary

Gen 3

Good: Cool legendaries

Bad: too much surfing

Gen 4

Good: I really liked everything in Plat and Heart gold...

Bad: No event Arceus summoning flute, or Celebi shrine activating item (that allowed you to catch celebi), introduced stealth rock which ruined all pokemon that were 4x weak to rock for the meta.

Gen 5:

Good: Kyurem mixed forms, and the Black legendary

Bad: Some really dumb pokemon... like an icecream cone :V

Gen 6

Good: Cool new mega forms

Bad: some of those mega forms are poorly thought out... like Pidgeotto only having a few moves to use that Sp. Att, and alakazam only having 90 BST instead of 100, and then there is rayquaza which is cancer.

Gen 1

+ Kicked off a lifelong addiction for myself and what I assume to be most of us in this topic haha.

- Mechanically, it's busted from everything to Psychic types, to crits being tied to your speed stat, to freaking WRAP

Gen 2

+ Improved in every way on Gen 1's groundwork with SpAtk/SpDef split, two new types to counter Psychics, and more variety.

- Worst competitive meta in my mind. Stall anyone?

Gen 3

+ Strong single player campaign; although Gen 2 tried to do more Gen 3 felt more like a finished experience in my mind.

- 7.8 etc etc

Gen 4

+ Arguably the most mechanically sound of all generations to this day.

- Uhhh...hmm. I'll go with what someone else said about it being slow (in the literal sense), although Platinum fixed that if I'm remembering correctly.

Gen 5

+ Took everything in Gen 4 and ran with it, added a ton of postgame content with the PWT (probably my favorite Pokemon postgame despite it being straight fanservice haha), and topped it off with a story that actually makes a lot of sense.

- Weather wars!

Gen 6

+ NU is really fun.

- OU is not. Alternatively, that one time that Serperior was in NU for like a month when Contrary first got released.

• 4 weeks later...

Gen1

Good - I actually love the bizarre sprites from this gen hahahaha. They have so much character. (Sideways Cloyster is my favorite Cloyster. Also, Dratini with stomach-stripes)

Bad - egregious type imbalance (reign of the psychics)

Gen2

Good - The only gen to actually feel like a progression of the last games-- not only do you get Johto to run around in, Kanto is right next door to continue playing there! And the world has evolved since you played in RBY! THAT'S SO COOL. (Yeah, other games like BW2 have done this also, but it stuck you in the same region; GSC still did this best)

Bad - egregiously imbalanced and limited grinding capabilities-- you get level mid-20s wild Pokemon to grind for Claire's level 40 Kingdra, and mid-40s wild Pokemon to grind for Red. This is why I never tried to take on Red until I did an efficiency run with Typhlosion lol. There's no excuse for this

Gen3

Good - favorite gen for Pokemon designs. So many of my favorites come from Hoenn-- Flygon, Gardevoir, Sceptile, Kecleon, Rayquaza, etc. etc.

Bad - completing the Pokedex is unnecessarily sadistic in this gen. (I love the Orre games but goddamn is it a pain to get Johto Pokemon-- esp Ho-Oh, Mew, and Celebi-- in this gen.)

Gen4

Good - HG/SS, but especially Pokemon following you around

Bad - everything aesthetic-wise in Sinnoh (not a fan of the music/environments/many of the Pokemon designs, and even a lot of the good mons have samey aesthetic-- count the number of mons from this gen with a black-and-blue color scheme, lol)

Gen5

Good - awesome music (lesser legendary theme, team plasma theme, and espppp the gym leader themes, WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS IN EVERY SUBSEQUENT GENERATION IT WAS SOOO GOOD)

Bad - really unmemorable in terms of gameplay; did the least of any generation to change the battle mechanics and competitive play

Gen6

Good - I feel like I should say the addition of Fairy-type since it brought SO much deeply-needed balance to the competitive metagame, but I'm gonna say trainer customization bc that's my favorite thing lol. (it's also better than Gen7's customization sigh...)

Bad - no Mega Flygon >:C

Gen7

Good - Pretty good story and likable characters throughout it

Bad - taking away XY's easy ways to EV train

Edited by BANRYU

Gen 1

+ Started a very successful and addictive formula. Also hi-crit moves were actually good, and Hyper Beam was actually the strong (if situational) move it is supposed to be. Gary/Blue still the best rival.

- Man that polish. Special shout out to how moves aren't documented in-game. Let me tell you about the time I bought Giovanni's stupid hype and deleted Earthquake for Fissure...

Gen 2

+ Some polish improvements, mostly.

- Uh the level curve is seriously out of whack in this game, especially the brutally underlevelled Mahogany region and Kanto.

Gen 3

+ Emerald has the best boss fights in the series. First game that felt truly well-balanced and polished, probably has the best competitive scene.

- EVs are a bad mechanic, especially with how they're hidden from the player.

Gen 4

+ Uh well as much as this game is pretty bland/easy overall it had a great final boss fight (doesn't hurt that Cynthia is pretty cool, too).

- Too slow (movement, exp bars, etc.), lack of pokemon variety (especially certain core types like fire and electric). Stealth Rock pretty much ruined my interest in competitive pokemon.

Gen 5. I haven't played this one. But hey, I can still comment on...

+ Unlimited use TMs! Love it.

- Man those ubers sure are ugly.

Gen 6

+ Incredible pokemon availability, nice animations, and I liked that individual trainer opponents packed a real punch unlike in most games (at least without Exp Share)

- Probably the worst game for plot/characters, which I don't care about that much. Also one of the worst games for gym leaders, which I do care about somewhat more.

Gen I:

Good: Started the franchise, Kanto overall has very diverse typing

Bad: The UI is clunky, most Pokemon had bad movepools

Gen II:

Good: Pokemon genders, a ton of UI improvements

Bad: The awful balancing of Gen II Pokemon both stat- and move-wise

Gen III:

Good: Abilities to make battles more interesting, the kickin' soundtrack

Bad: Too much surfing

Gen V:

Good: Unlimited use TMs

Bad: The late evolution times of so many Pokemon

Gen VI:

Good: the addition of Fairy-type, Pokemon Amie/Refresh and trainer customization

Bad: Boring, irrelevant rivals (Wally is the only good rival from Gen VI)

Gen VII:

Good: The story, finally getting rid of HMs

Bad: SOS Battles, too much hand-holding

Edited by AzureSen

Ive only played two gens of Pokemon.

1 Gen: Well, it was pretty damn fun and started the entire phenomenon

Dislike? Uhhhh...there wasnt any way to run i dont think.

Gen 4:

Like: Pokemon sure got a lot of whistles and bells, didnt it? So much to do!

Dislike: Pokemon designs werent a high point with this gen.

Generation I (RGBY):

• Like: I like how it has a sorta darker, more mysterious, and slightly more dangerous atmosphere than later games, without ceasing to feel kid-friendly.
  • Dislike: The game's total movepool is very unbalanced, type-wise, to the point that certain types almost completely lack viable offensive moves (and the ones that do exist are very restricted; I'm looking at you, Twinneedle), and Dragon's offensive damage matchups are straight-up irrelevant.

Generation II (GSC):

• Like: I really love the way in which it connects to and improves on the first generation. There's just so much more to do in it, and the sheer amount of content Iwata managed to help them pack into a GBC cartridge is truly impressive.
  • Dislike: The fact that some really cool new Pokémon it introduced only become available long after you've already decided on a full team, at levels so low that you cannot reasonably work them into your team without copious amounts of grinding.

Generation III (RSE, FRLG, Colosseum, & XD):

• Like: Hoenn. It's such a huge and diverse region with an excellent selection of available Pokémon, and traversing it really feels like an adventure, especially thanks to the long stretches of route in between some of the later towns and cities.
  • Dislike: There are a number of Johto Pokémon that are really hard to come by in Generation III. I mean, you can get them legitimately, but sheesh.

Generation IV (DPPt & HGSS):

• Like: Follower Pokémon.
  • Dislike: Diamond and Pearl's regional PokéDex... kinda sucked, honestly. Or at least was very much not to my tastes for the most part, although having only two Fire-type evolution lines counting the region's Fire Starter is pretty much objectively an issue. Thankfully, Platinum did a lot to alleviate these problems.

Generation V (BW & B2W2):

• Like: The plot and overall feel of the region are just really great.
  • Dislike: Unova's original layout in BW is super linear.

Generation VI (XY & ORAS):

• Like: Trainer customization at last!
  • Dislike: 300% forgettable otherwise.

Generation VII (SuMo...):

• ...I can't say yet! I haven't played much of it.
Edited by Topaz Light

• 4 years later...

Original R/B

Good - Started it all. And  I love the concise 151 and the question of what will come next, as there was nothing to base it off of. I'm not a genwunner, but my favorite region.

Bad - It was a hassle to catch 'em all, as the game was advertised, and I guess it didn't age well. THe random enounter rates could have been lowered too.

Yellow

Good - Again, easy 151 pokemon. And now you can get all the starters and follow the adventures of your childhood hero, Ash Ketchum!

Bad - Pretty cheesy, and the same flaw as R/B

S/G

Good - I loved the new pokemon.

Bad - The level curve is so obvious, and the fact that almost no gym leaders have a gen 2 pokemon as an ace angers me. I don't like gen 2 at all.

Crystal - never played

R/S

Good - My second favorite region. I love the new pokemon more than anything and how great the replayability is.

Bad - I guess too much water?

FR/LG - never played

Emerald

Good - See R/S, plus Battle Frontier.

Bad - I'm honesty not sure. While I said too much water before, Emerald's story and interesting water encounters tone down the annoyance. My favorite pokemon game by a large margain.

(Forgive for any wrong order past this point)

HG/SS

Good - I loooove the new minigames and mechanics.

Bad - See S/G, although it was helped a bit, stil unbalanced.

D/P

Good - Decent animated sprites, finally! And I love the new designs.

Bad - I hate the storyline. Completely overshadowed by B/W. My least favorite games

B/W

Good - FULLY ANIMATED SPRITES YES YES YES and an amazing storyline. N is amazing, the only truly good rival in my opinion.

Bad - Too many exclusives, and I don't like the way the difficuly mechanic was added in.

B2W2 - never played

X/Y

Good - Decent storyline, love the new designs, great jump to 3d. The best addition is definately Mega Evolution for me, though.

Bad - Team Flare. 'Nuff said.

OR/AS

Good - I'm way biased towards gen 3 games, but still. I think the characters were well-handled in 3d, and see R/S.

Bad - TOO MUCH WATER!

S/M

Good - I like the Hawaiian asthetic, and the colorful menus. They took a lot of risks here and I think it payed off. You can start to see 3d being entertained more and more.

Bad - Trials and ride pokemon just don't cut it.

US/UM

Good - They covered a lot of plotholes with this one, like where Kahili came in.

Bad - I don't really like the warp ride. Cool idea, not really well implemented.

LG P/E

Good - Finally overworld pokemon! I might be labled a genthreer, but this would be a perfect pokemon game if not based off gen 1.

Bad - See R/B

Sw/Sh

Good - Wild area, great DLC, amazing new designs.

Bad - Pretty much everything else. Seriously, Gamefreak? It feels SO rushed.

If I missed any, tell me.

B/W- My 1st pokemon game

Good: Cool starters. Still the best trio for me.

Bad: Level required to evolve pokemon for some are too high.

BW2

Good: Lots of "new" pokemon from previous gen for me

Bad: I don't like that key system is version exclusive.

Platinum

Good: Cynthia

Bad: Pokemon choice is restrictive

SoulSilver

Good: Pokemon Follow you. 

Bad:  The puzzles and caves are a bit too much, many times I have to look up guide on how to get through certain point

AlphaSapphire

Good: Mega pokemon 

Bad: Delta Episode is a bit bland

UltraMoon

Good: Theme setting and environment looks good

Bad: The cutscenes are too long and  unskippable.

Shield + Expansion Pass

Good: Wild Area and no HM or poke-gear.

Bad: No Mega.

• 7 months later...

Generation I

• Good: Pokemon Stadium
  • Bad: Grossly imbalanced Types

Generation II

• Good: Dark and Steel Types
  • Bad: Poor implementation of new Pokemon

Generation III

• Good: Double Battles