Jedi's quest for a true secondary.

Jedi

Hey there folks, Jedi here. As you know I play fairly competitively (although I don't mind a good casual set of fun matches!) I currently main Ike, and I have been for quite some time. However I've been struggling to find my secondary, someone I can lean on just as reliably.

I like using a significant number of people in this cast (Cloud, Sonic, Peach, Mario, Marth etc), but I'm not exactly going to go to a tourney and be that jack of all characters guy, I wouldn't get anywhere really unless I just somehow mastered everyone.

This is where I ask you other smash players for a little help, who do you all think could help with Ike's weaknesses? Like despite buffs to his general speed, endlag and other things, he still struggles with.

A. The fastest characters in the cast.

B. Projectile heavy characters.

Now I can say, I'm fairly confident in my Ike and i'd go down swinging, (I mean I beat a fairly good Pikachu of all people at the last Spokane tourney I was in, that wasn't easy, but I managed it), but what characters do you think I should look into more maybe? Theres a fair chance i've at least played around with most of the people you'll suggest, so go ahead and give me some suggestions.

Reasoning would be nice too, and if you need to ask me like how I play or something, go ahead. I'm open for questions on my style too.

he still struggles with.

A. The fastest characters in the cast.

B. Projectile heavy characters.

A. Who doesn't? You gotta match speed with speed iirc

B. projectile heavy are who, exactly? Link and Greninja maybe? slow approaches and perfect shielding are your bff here

A. Who doesn't? You gotta match speed with speed iirc

B. projectile heavy are who, exactly? Link and Greninja maybe? slow approaches and perfect shielding are your bff here

B. I'm talking Villager, Sheik and other people with highly annoying projectiles that constantly keep someone at bay if they aren't super careful.

Ike is my main and I love him(they even buffed him in this patch). I know a lot about Ike and he is fun to use. For secondary, I use who I like. Corrin will be my secondary and I will have a pocket Cloud maybe because I like Cloud as well. I usually experiment with other characters like Marth and Doc.

B. I'm talking Villager, Sheik and other people with highly annoying projectiles that constantly keep someone at bay if they aren't super careful.

I feel like you're leaving someone out :^)

Anyway I'd say any of the Marios would be good against the people Ike struggles with since he's very hard to projectile camp against and can win jab wars that ike likely can't win.

As cheesy as they are, Mario and Cloud are some of the best secondaries in the game due to low learning curve and high reward. Really good players will learn the matchups though, especially since they are so common. Mario isn't making the splash he used to and Cloud will not age well as people learn to deal with limit/gimping him.

I feel like you're leaving someone out :^)

Anyway I'd say any of the Marios would be good against the people Ike struggles with since he's very hard to projectile camp against and can win jab wars that ike likely can't win.

Right, Megaman. The few I've faced with Ike do make me rage lol.

Hmm Mario yeah I can see, but I've always had this aversion towards him because like "It's Mario literally everyone can use him without difficulty" I dno why I feel that way.

As cheesy as they are, Mario and Cloud are some of the best secondaries in the game due to low learning curve and high reward. Really good players will learn the matchups though, especially since they are so common. Mario isn't making the splash he used to and Cloud will not age well as people learn to deal with limit/gimping him.

Noted.

Hmm Mario yeah I can see, but I've always had this aversion towards him because like "It's Mario literally everyone can use him without difficulty" I dno why I feel that way.

This is why he makes a great secondary.

It sounds like you're trying to make it harder than it really is for yourself, you don't want to be seen as the person who plays Mario because he's easy, but if he fits the bill for what you want, you should probably take it if you want to succeed.

Pit or Dank Pit probably aren't bad alternatives, but they're also pretty easy and worse than Mario/Cloud.

It sounds like you're trying to make it harder than it really is for yourself, you don't want to be seen as the person who plays Mario because he's easy, but if he fits the bill for what you want, you should probably take it if you want to succeed.

Pit or Dank Pit probably aren't bad alternatives, but they're also pretty easy and worse than Mario/Cloud.

I suppose you're right, maybe I should start messing around with Mario in a serious light, Cloud is also a good choice, I feel Sonic might be able to be a weird throw off for people, and I think Peach could have some odd utility lol.

The Pits are fun yeah, but I think kinda redundant with Ike as Dark Pit one of his defining things atm is a counter to Rosaluma, when Ike does that fairly well himself. Theres just alot of choices, and believe me oddly TOON LINK has come to my mind as a weird possible secondary, and of course PKL suggested to me long ago that I should pick up Metaknight.

It's just odd for me atm.

But it feels like a copout to me, I can't really explain it that easily.

Knowing you, I'm not surprised. :P

(this is the exact reason why you didn't want to play MK in Brawl)

I use those that I like. Tier list can die and I don't like playing as Shiek because damage racker, but no kill moves. She may have great moves and frame data, but I dont like the character. I like Mario just to dunk on people

Knowing you, I'm not surprised. :P

(this is the exact reason why you didn't want to play MK in Brawl)

You got me there haha, I'll think it over. :P:

I use those that I like. Tier list can die and I don't like playing as Shiek because damage racker, but no kill moves. She may have great moves and frame data, but I dont like the character. I like Mario just to dunk on people

I have fun with Sheik, but I don't think I can play her seriously yet as my tech skill isn't that high lol. I like pretty much the entire cast as I've said, its just i've come across this conundrum.

Edited by Jedi

Stop being a slecial snowflake and play characters that you both enjoy and feel comfortable playing as. Nobody cares if you are the best ike or sonic or mario in smash.

Stop being a slecial snowflake and play characters that you both enjoy and feel comfortable playing as. Nobody cares if you are the best ike or sonic or mario in smash.

That shifts around quite often! Theres only a few constants and i'm so indecisive its dumb.

Also I'd be more open to the Sonic suggestion if I wasn't so hot/cold with him, some days I absolutely love playing as him, others I decry him as a shame to his source material and thoroughly unfun.

When I play characters, if they are fun and awesome, I will use them. That is why I use Ike. Loyalty to my character and I like Ike. If I was focused on winning, Ike would have been dropped as my main. I used him since Brawl and he is staying as my main. I win with him so it is awesome. I also play other characters like Marth and others because theor fun to use. Corrin will be my secondary or Cloud. Idk yet

Edited by Radiance

I honestly play Link cause I'm sadistic and like to make opponents salt about losing to Link. There's no right or wrong reason to play a character.

Sadly that won't effect me. A good Link is great and losing does not bother me. Perhaps but you should find a character that suits you. If you use Zero Suit but dont like her play style or cant get used to the way the character feels, it is a waste of time. Mario is pretty basic, but I like Doc.

Edited by Radiance

If you care about winning on a tournament-level, I can't help you.

If you just want to find your place, go to someone who you have fun with. . .or click with. It's why I stay with Falco, despite the fact that he's not the best thing in the most recent Smash.

Sadly that won't effect me. A good Link is great and losing does not bother me. Perhaps but you should find a character that suits you. If you use Zero Suit but dont like her play style or cant get used to the way the character feels, it is a waste of time. Mario is pretty basic, but I like Doc.

Fortunately not everyone thinks like you. I've had people curse/drop their controllers and its great. It doesn't work on my local scene anymore since I've effectively convinced most people here that Link is high mid tier and they don't feel bad about losing anymore. This is why I travel for Smash mostly, to elicit this reaction from people who aren't used to losing to Link outside of FG.

Edited by Knife

Why would ppl rage about losing to link vs like Palutena or D3 or something.

Imo youre doin it wrong if you are aspiring to beat ppl as a character that isnt bad, and is simply just not great.

Actually, I've thought of using Dedede. My scene isn't used to losing to him. Thanks for the suggestion.

np nothing is more satisfying than Jethammer/FSmash KOs

protip ^

If you care about winning on a tournament-level, I can't help you.

If you just want to find your place, go to someone who you have fun with. . .or click with. It's why I stay with Falco, despite the fact that he's not the best thing in the most recent Smash.

Its a good idea that I think about which of these I should aim more for, thank you eclipse.