Jedi's quest for a true secondary.

Jedi

Fortunately not everyone thinks like you. I've had people curse/drop their controllers and its great. It doesn't work on my local scene anymore since I've effectively convinced most people here that Link is high mid tier and they don't feel bad about losing anymore. This is why I travel for Smash mostly, to elicit this reaction from people who aren't used to losing to Link outside of FG.

Well said. For glory is nothing to me though and I beat every Link I face there with an exception of 1 that does decent. Getting people mad is awesome. Ganoncide ftw. Btw King DDD down is so upsetting to get hit by. It is like Kirby side special.

I am also an Ike main (Roy main in Melee I haven't bought Roy yet in 4...)

I would suggest Toon Link, Peach, or Meta Knight (since you don't seem to want someone too high tier)

Personally my Secondary is Toon Link cause he is fast and bombs are the bomb....

Edited by Locke087

I am also an Ike main (Roy main in Melee I haven't bought Roy yet in 4...)

I would suggest Toon Link, Peach, or Meta Knight (since you don't seem to want someone too high tier)

Personally my Secondary is Toon Link cause he is fast and bombs are the bomb....

Well I'm not against someone in the top set, I just don't want to main someone braindead, but I guess even Mario isn't all that braindead at the higher levels.

Mario was always a decent character in smash, but in this game damn has he gotten strong. He is the mascot of Nintendo so I would not blame that. Brain dead much? Eh at least it is not Zero suit brain dead.

Mario was always a decent character in smash, but in this game damn has he gotten strong. He is the mascot of Nintendo so I would not blame that. Brain dead much? Eh at least it is not Zero suit brain dead.

He ate his good Jamnin Ultras for this one. Also I have no intention of having Ike fall down my list, because he's arguably top 25 now :P:

Yeah I remember when he was first out in Smash 4. Lots of changes like dash attack being faster and a throw combo and down tilt combo. His range makes him shine with strength and upgraded speed.

This probably won't sound that helpful, but you might just have to go through the characters and find who you think "feels right" for lack of a better term. Different people have different tastes, so characters that we like to use might not be ones that suit your style. Heck, I did not come into Smash 4 thinking that I would be using Shulk and Dorf of all people. I thought that I would keep on using Falco like I did in Brawl, but Falco changed so much that he didn't feel right for me anymore, so I used different characters until I found ones that felt comfortable.

I'm not a tourney man but would advise you to use whoever you have affinity with, in terms of learning how to play it and react accordingly to different opponents.

For instance, I main Little Mac because I like that he's fast and his punches sound so good it's satisfying, specially the KO punch. He might be shit tier or have garbage recovery and aerial combat but I don't care for being publicly acclaimed as competitive or whatever. I even play as Zelda since Brawl

Nowadays with the new DLC pack I feel really good with Corrinetta but I've never had the technical stuff in mind, just how the character plays with me. So, uh, choose whoever you feel ok with.

Quint

You, main Mac?

I don't know exactly the trascendence of the term main but let's say Yes.

I didn't even knew he existed since ages ago, but was aware of Punch Out for the Wii. I don't even like Boxing but the character is really fun to me.

Be careful how you use the word main. I know my main would be pissed if he knew I had 6 other "mains".

I have like 5 mains and I don't even care. It's just a term, and Smash terms tend to be really bad. As such, Jedi can have as many mains as he wants.

on the topic of smash terms shine makes me want to cry but oh well

Personally, I like using Ryu as a secondary but yeah learning curve...and he's not without his major flaws either. Mainly if you're going from Ike to Ryu the hitboxes/range is problematic for Ryu particularly against sword characters. Inputs can be pretty tough too I had to use the GC controller to get them right reliably (which shouldn't be a problem if you're playing in tournaments anyway). True shoryukan is a godsend.

Personally, I like using Ryu as a secondary but yeah learning curve...and he's not without his major flaws either. Mainly if you're going from Ike to Ryu the hitboxes/range is problematic for Ryu particularly against sword characters. Inputs can be pretty tough too I had to use the GC controller to get them right reliably (which shouldn't be a problem if you're playing in tournaments anyway). True shoryukan is a godsend.

Ryu is a good choice, Its weird though, like I use the dude in street fighter well enough, but I don't use him very well in Smash at all.

I'm going to keep to my opinion about Mario, Luigi would work fine too, but as it stands they are both easy to pick up characters that have phenomenal frame data and combo potential. Either of them would compliment Ike well, but Mario more so

I'm going to keep to my opinion about Mario, Luigi would work fine too, but as it stands they are both easy to pick up characters that have phenomenal frame data and combo potential. Either of them would compliment Ike well, but Mario more so

I've never been all that great with Luigi outside of 64, so I think I'll keep Mario higher on the priority list, I appreciate all the comments and such.

I've narrowed it down a fair bit from my bigger worries. Still a huge number of peeps though, but the bottom list is kind of a "on the backburner thinking of"

ZOg2wWc.png

Mk, Peach, Sheik, and ZSS require lots of investment. I wouldn't really want to make them your priority. Rest are fairly easy to pick up, Cloud/Mario probably the quickest (? about Kirby).

Cloud/Mario might be the best bet, considering I've put time into Cloud too, also @Kirby, I just find him fun to play with lol, I doubt he'd be a serious consideration, unless I found out he's good against particular people.

I have decent MK and Peach experience, PKL even said I should consider focusing on Metaknight once.

I think the only appeal of Kirby is people wouldn't know how to play against him as well, which might steal a game in a set occasionally.

Definately not as strong as the rest of the list bar maybe Falco though.

Edited by General Horace

I think the only appeal of Kirby is people wouldn't know how to play against him as well, which might steal a game in a set occasionally.

Definately not as strong as the rest of the list bar maybe Falco though.

Its funny because I think Falco and Kirby have the same str/weakness, in this game.

Both are great in super close quarters combat, both are pretty good in the air and edgeguarding, but they have issues approaching. I think Kirby has more of an issue with it though.

Might I suggest Palutena?

She has good zoning against projectile heavy characters like Villager, Link, and Megaman. Her high speed is serviceable to keep up with faster characters. Personal opinion, but I also think she complements Ike's playstyle nice. Idk if she is tournament viable, but I think you should give her a try since she's not as easy as Mario but not too technical to use.

Edited by autismoe