Best units?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haar isn't that good in this game, he's fantastic in Radiant Dawn, this game's sequel. In this game he joins really late, and his stats aren't anything special.

As for the best units in this game, I'd say Titania, Oscar, Marcia and Jill

Edited by Nobody

In this game Ilyana can beat most of the enemies but in RD she is not that good.

I always use Mist and Jill. Both of them are good units but with Mist you'll have to forge her arms so she can cause damage.

Edited by pontmercyj

I don't exactly remember who was amazing in this game, but I'd just go with what the people above have said. I'd say Mist especially, because of a certain chapter in the game where her help would be greatly appreciated.

By the standards of this game, Ilyana is still pretty bad relative to the others. But it should be noted that everyone in this game can contribute.

With that said, units on mounts are just plain better then everyone else. All the Cavaliers, Pegasus Knights and Dragon Knights (well, maybe not Haar. Not that he is bad) are pretty damn good. As for the foot units, there would be Boyd and... well, I can't really think about any other unit on foot who is all that great. Like, the Myrmidones are frail and weak, Soldier is a fine class but the one you get is essentially a Myrmidone with a lance, Mages are pretty weak, Knights are.... well, Knights. And they are very knighty in this game.

Edited by BrightBow

PoR is one of the best games in the series in terms of making everyone viable; there isn't really anyone in the game that I would say you should flat out skip. That being said, Mounted Units in this game have Canto (can move again after attacking/trading), so they have really high priority. As for foot units, Boyd is solid and you get him from the very start of the game. Magic isn't great in this game, but training up either Soren or Ilyana is recommended, if only to pray on enemy Resistance.

Edited by Avalanche

Imo, best PoR units are Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Kieran, Zihark, Lethe, and Jill. They always wreck everything for me! If you want to add an archer to that group, go Rolf. He starts out weak and kind of hard to train, but once you get him going, he's helpful against wyvern units and bird laguz.

I'd say most of the mounted units are good, as well as Mist, Boyd, and Zihark. On the other hand, I'd skip Rofl - he's a serious pain in the arse to train.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

You say Rolf is a pain to train, but recommend Mist? Imo, Mist is harder to train because she starts out unable to freaking attack and at lv. 1. At least you can feed Rolf kills by having him take out guys with just a little bit of HP left...

Edited by Anacybele

You say Rolf is a pain to train, but recommend Mist? Imo, Mist is harder to train because she starts out unable to freaking attack and at lv. 1. At least you can feed Rolf kills by having him take out guys with just a little bit of HP left...

The issue is, this is about the worst game to be a bow-locked unit in, for one. Second, the alternative to Mist is essentially a poor man's Sage.

Titania is a beast as usual, Ike is a strong main unit, Boyd wrecks shit, Tanith is awesome and has her reinforcement ability to compliment her, Lethe is in my opinion the best laguz unit in the game with the ability to transform in the beginning of the battle. Mages did kinda get boned in PoR and RD though. Although Soren is a force to be reckoned with if trained.

The issue is, this is about the worst game to be a bow-locked unit in, for one. Second, the alternative to Mist is essentially a poor man's Sage.

Except Mist doesn't use magic? She's a Valkyrie, which uses staves and swords. And her str is awful, so she can't even really do much with most of the swords in the game. And the swords that DO use the magic stat she needs like a B or A rank to get and I think she starts with an E rank in swords.

Soren is great too, btw.

Except Mist doesn't use magic? She's a Valkyrie, which uses staves and swords. And her str is awful, so she can't even really do much with most of the swords in the game. And the swords that DO use the magic stat she needs like a B or A rank to get and I think she starts with an E rank in swords.

Soren is great too, btw.

She starts with a D rank in swords, actually.

Mist is one of only two healers for a large portion of the game which instantly gives her more use than Rolf and even some characters that joined before

All you have to do get her to level 10 and then master seal to get a mount(no one else benefits from a master seal as much as she does so dibs) and then she's the only mounted healer until near the end of the game

Mist has unique utility for almost the whole game so yeah Mist is definitely worth using unlike Rolf

Edited by DavidSW

She starts with a D rank in swords, actually.

Still pretty low and too low to use the magic swords.

Mist is one of only two healers for a large portion of the game which instantly gives her more use than Rolf and even some characters that joined before

All you have to do get her to level 10 and then master seal to get a mount(no one else benefits from a master seal as much as she does so dibs) and then she's the only mounted healer until near the end of the game

Mist has unique utility for almost the whole game so yeah Mist is definitely worth using unlike Rolf

Master Seals don't exist in PoR. I've never seen a single one in the game. Besides, you never want to promote a unit THAT early, they end up weaker than they could be. Especially healers, who are always fragile. Mist comes in later than Rhys and at a much lower level and can't do much at all until she promotes, so she is not worth using over him or Rolf. The only reason I level her up is so she doesn't die in the part where Ike battles the BK since she forces her way in that one.

Also, Rolf is your only archer through most of the game unless you want to put a lot of work and effort into a weak and late-joining Astrid. And he's valuable against those bird laguz in the raven pirates chapter. And once you promote Boyd and give Oscar bows, that three brothers triangle attack is your friend.

Edited by Anacybele

Master Seals don't exist in PoR. I've never seen a single one in the game. Besides, you never want to promote a unit THAT early, they end up weaker than they could be. Especially healers, who are always fragile. Mist comes in later than Rhys and at a much lower level and can't do much at all until she promotes, so she is not worth using over him or Rolf. The only reason I level her up is so she doesn't die in the part where Ike battles the BK since she forces her way in that one.

Really? Because I remember seeing three in the game - two of which are in back-to-back chapters (specifically, the prison chapter and the one right after that; the bosses of both chapters have them). Also, Mist has a good support affinity and a good support list.

Really? Because I remember seeing three in the game - two of which are in back-to-back chapters (specifically, the prison chapter and the one right after that; the bosses of both chapters have them). Also, Mist has a good support affinity and a good support list.

Yeah, I've never obtained any. Never found any in chests or the shop.

I edited my post, btw.

Also, where's Glac, she'd help me defend Rolf. lol

Also, Rolf is your only archer through most of the game unless you want to put a lot of work and effort into a weak and late-joining Astrid. And he's valuable against those bird laguz in the raven pirates chapter. And once you promote Boyd and give Oscar bows, that three brothers triangle attack is your friend.

A weak, late-joining Astrid (that last part ain't true, btw) that catches up like nobody's business thanks to Paragon. Also, why in the seven hells would I give Oscar bows over axes??? Also, the 3 brothers triangle attack is the second most useless triangle attack in the series, so that ain't helping Rolf's case any (Yippee, three sitting ducks instead of one come enemy phase! Totally worth triangle attacking one enemy!).

Hint: don't rely on memory

It doesn't matter if Mist is weak. If your weak healer is seeing combat then that's the player's fault for "not doing it right" if I may be blunt.

But bows aren't needed. The only time it's actually helpful to have Rolf is the first boat chapter. After that you get Astrid who can out-level Rolf in no time thanks to hit and run via mount and paragon. So it actually isn't that much effort at all and the reward is way better than Rolf.

Astrid is even harder to train than Rolf, and by the time you get her, Rolf is much stronger. And she DOES come in late. She comes in at chapter 14 at level ONE. It doesn't matter if she has Paragon, if you can't feed her kills, it doesn't do squat for her. And I can never get her kills because the enemies are too strong at that point.

Rolf is better to me, deal with it.

I wasn't relying on memory. I was relying on my experience in multiple playthroughs.

Edited by Anacybele

Astrid is even harder to train than Rolf, and by the time you get her, Rolf is much stronger. And she DOES come in late. She comes in at chapter 14 at level ONE. It doesn't matter if she has Paragon, if you can't feed her kills, it doesn't do squat for her. And I can never get her kills because the enemies are too strong at that point.

Rolf is better to me, deal with it.

I wasn't relying on memory. I was relying on my experience in multiple playthroughs.

You must have some very loose standards for late-joiners, then - I wouldn't call someone who joins in early mid-game a late-joiner. Also, for what it's worth, just damaging an enemy gets Astrid about 1/4 of the way to a level up.

I'm 200% sure there are master seals in Path of Radiance, as I'm just replaying it and have one of them in my inventory. Two of them are on optional bosses and one is in a chest, so that explains why you never found them. Healers are for healing, not combat and if are good enough with your positioning they won't ever need to see combat, so there isn't much problem in promoting Mist early. Astrid is way easier to train than Rolf, due to Paragon and a mount. Triangle attack is far from practical. It takes 3 units on specific positions to use it, and I don't know a single enemy that would survive combat against three units anyway.

You can like using Rolf, but if you claim he's a good unit you're asking for people to disagree with you. They were just pointing out they think Mist is better than Rolf with logic and arguments, just how you justified your liking for him.

Edited by Nobody

I'm on the side saying that Mist can't deal damage for shit (Unless she has a Wind Sword, but there's like only 1 in the game, it only has 25 uses, and it's rank B so...)

If you want Mist to be more than just a healer, then you gotta cough up alot of gold and then think to yourself if she's really worth it.

Also I love Rolf

As for the thread:

-Zihark is amazing imo! That myrmidon is to die for if i remember correctly!

-Mounted Units are <33. Oscar and Titania are your starting mounts and they're both really good!

-Reyson for obvious reasons. (Refreshes Units!)

.... this game is actually pretty easy I'm sure you'll be fine. Personally, I was pretty biased with my army. Literally any combination will work.

Edited by ChocolaChao