No more patches for Smash 4. Opinions on balancing and thoughts on this last patch?

Radiance

So the famitsu had a section where Sakurai has stated that this is the final patch as our lord and savior goes into vacation mode. There will be no more character balances, so characters like Corrin and Bayo won't change. What are your thoughts in general about this being the last patch and something you want to say about the patch in general? Thank you for making this game Sakurai.

On one hand, its the most balanced smash game to date and it has 58 characters, on the other hand some people clearly needed some improvements still.

So thanks for the game Sakurai, but I think some of the balancing for 1v1's could have been better, then again I think they try to make some characters better at 2v2 and 4 for alls and etc.

I guess its up to the players to decide the fates of the later true tier lists.

Well the balancing was not much for the competitive scene, but for everyone in general. That is ironic considering the last direct said "competetive" but that can mean anything. I think it is the most balanced considering that there are 58 characters. Damn that is a lot for a fighting game. My characters did not get nerfed so it is fine with me.

Edited by Radiance

Outside of Zelda and Jigglypuff, I honestly think the game balance is fine.

Both of them need radical overhauls before they can be considered viable (if Zelda's tier list track record is anything to go by...).

Considering this is the last patch it is weird how these characters were left untouched. I wish Game and Watch was buffed but I ak fine with it. They buffed Ike and other characters I use.

Outside of Zelda and Jigglypuff, I honestly think the game balance is fine.

Both of them need radical overhauls before they can be considered viable (if Zelda's tier list track record is anything to go by...).

Zelda's moveset is so old and awful that I think they could be excused for making her really quick with her Rapier and the Wind Waker. Marth and Lucina don't use actual fleurets, so I'd be interesting in seeing blonde Asuna HW Zelda do some stuff. Maybe one day she'll be actually good.

By a similar merit, Ganon could use his HW Trident.

Otherwise, the balance is totally awesome, and the newcomers were everythig and more. I'm so glad an amazing character like Bayonetta won the ballot. Newcomers like her, Shulk, Villager, and Cloud make this game have my favorite newcomers tbh. My only reservation is that I'd have prefered seeing Phoenix Wright instead of Ryu, but that's a very small thing all the same. Not to mention that Wright would likely have been bottom tier while Ryu is actually high on the tier lists.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

When they made Zelda and Sheik in Melee, they made Zelda to be the slow, powerful one and Sheik as the fast, weak one.

Which didn't turn out as intended but I digress.

Come Smash 4 and they split them up. They give Sheik exactly what she needed and they gave Zelda exactly what she already had.

I dont think a single DLC character got nerfed. Roy got buffed and that is awesome. If it was the final patch, maybe make characters like Samus get at least a buff. They will never see the light

I'd honestly prefer the patches stop, so we can learn more about the character movemets and the like without having to worry about another chance coming up in the next month. I know some were meant to fix glitches (Like Diddy's invincibility), but we didn't need constant changes to the characters.

Edited by Power Master

I'd honestly prefer the patches stop, so we can learn more about the character movemets and the like without having to worry about another chance coming up in the next month. I know some were meant to fix glitches (Like Diddy's invincibility), but we didn't need constant changes to the characters.

Nah I think it fine. Characters like Ike would not be as great as they are now if they never got those buffs. A change or two is easy to adapt to

So this game now has a stable Replay feature after 1.5 years? Took them long enough. Too bad the Album and Stage Builder are still practically unusable.

I think it's a little wonky that they made so many balance patches, but then stopped immediately after releasing two more, fairly unique characters who haven't had the chance to be playtested by the masses. While I doubt either of them are so good/bad as to be overcentralizing or unusable, it seems a little odd not to even give them a chance at balancing changes. Oh well. I could go on about stuff I wish got buffed/nerfed/whatever, but I'm not sure I care enough about the game anymore to bother.

Eh, I feel like some characters still needed some buffs. Other characters got great buffs (Ike and Bowser come to mind but Bowser could always use), but certain ones, uh...still needed it. I also agree with everyone who says it's odd to stop patching immediately after releasing two new characters. In my mind, that's honestly kinda dumb. They should have waited for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...

Zelda's trophy description -

This is the namesake of the Legend of Zelda games. Her appearance may change, but she always plays an important role. In Smash Bros., she's quick on the draw when it comes to magic, though a bit slow when moving. She has a new move that summons a Phantom to her aid.

That bolded part is false. Her spells are not fast at all!

Sheik's trophy description -

In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Sheik claimed to be a surviving Sheikah. However, this was just a cunning disguise for Princess Zelda so that she could escape Ganondorf. In Smash Bros., she's the complete opposite of Zelda, striking with fast attacks that can keep an opponent off balance.

The opposite of a bottom tier character must be a top tier character.

Honestly, in spite (or one could argue because) of the arrival of two new elephants in this room, this game only has two extreme outliers on either end of the power bell curve now (and that is if you count Mii Swordfighter as an individual character). Whether that makes this game any more or less balanced than before is very much up for debate, but the fact remains that that is a very tiny portion of problematic characters in a roster this size.

On the other hand, there's the problem of the spread of competitive viability potentially becoming just as narrow as previous entries in the series (whereas without Corrin and Bayonetta the "top tier" would span roughly six characters long, which is at least as many as Melee and Brawl combined), but one could argue that point to be completely moot so long as Zero--the honey badger of Smash players--continues to take tournaments with Sheik and Diddy Kong anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my favorite people to play (Lucina, Palutena, Dedede, Megaman) are all servicable, although I have like many people in this thread concluded that Zelda isn't worth using. I'd love to see the HW Zelda design in the game instead.

Honestly, in spite (or one could argue because) of the arrival of two new elephants in this room, this game only has two extreme outliers on either end of the power bell curve now (and that is if you count Mii Swordfighter as an individual character). Whether that makes this game any more or less balanced than before is very much up for debate, but the fact remains that that is a very tiny portion of problematic characters in a roster this size.

On the other hand, there's the problem of the spread of competitive viability potentially becoming just as narrow as previous entries in the series (whereas without Corrin and Bayonetta the "top tier" would span roughly six characters long, which is at least as many as Melee and Brawl combined), but one could argue that point to be completely moot so long as Zero--the honey badger of Smash players--continues to take tournaments with Sheik and Diddy Kong anyway.

The top tier of this game is commonly agreed to be 15 characters wide, thats a far larger margin than before, and high tier is still highly viable, and even the pros say the mid tier dudes have a chance, you'll just likely need a secondary.