Question about Odin as a Samurai

fiaaemburem

In hard mode, I tried Samurai Odin and he didn't seem that good. He still wasn't that fast and his damage output was low. Bind is nice, but I didn't see any reason to use him when Selena existed.

I've had better luck making him a nostank in the early chapters, but it's pretty expensive.

Edited by Blademaster!

In hard mode, I tried Samurai Odin and he didn't seem that good. He still wasn't that fast and his damage output was low. Bind is nice, but I didn't see any reason to use him when Selena existed.

I've had better luck making him a nostank in the early chapters, but it's pretty expensive.

Just curious, how much effort did you put into him before benching him? I ask because I plan on using Samurai Odin in Hard/Classic.

edit: I thought I'd expand on how I plan on using Samurai Odin to perhaps help OP with their decisions. I feel like you need to reclass him ASAP, and I mean as soon as you recruit him, give him the Heart Seal that you can purchase from the vendor. That way he starts getting the speed he needs and he can use the early chapters and paralogue 1 to get his weapon rank up. If you reclass him to Samurai, you're better off keeping him in that class tree. I plan on having a little fun with him and making a crit stacking build, utilizing his personal skill (+10 crit with forged weapon), roundhouse (+10 crit), ogre strike (+20 crit on PP), +10 crit with Trueblade bonus, +25 crit with Killing Edge +1. That's 65 crit + whatever he gets from his skill stat, which could be another 15 or so.

Edited by Orion5487

Just curious, how much effort did you put into him before benching him? I ask because I plan on using Samurai Odin in Hard/Classic.

edit: I thought I'd expand on how I plan on using Samurai Odin to perhaps help OP with their decisions. I feel like you need to reclass him ASAP, and I mean as soon as you recruit him, give him the Heart Seal that you can purchase from the vendor. That way he starts getting the speed he needs and he can use the early chapters and paralogue 1 to get his weapon rank up. If you reclass him to Samurai, you're better off keeping him in that class tree. I plan on having a little fun with him and making a crit stacking build, utilizing his personal skill (+10 crit with forged weapon), roundhouse (+10 crit), ogre strike (+20 crit on PP), +10 crit with Trueblade bonus, +25 crit with Killing Edge +1. That's 65 crit + whatever he gets from his skill stat, which could be another 15 or so.

I don't use spotpass/my castle stuff, so he wouldn't be getting any of those critical boosting skills right away at least. The main issue I ran into with him was that once I got to chapter 13 it just became harder to use him when compared to everyone else I was using (Camilla, Corrin, Niles, Kaze, Luna, Leo, Marx, etc.) I could have tried pairing him with Charlotte from chapter 14+ I guess, but there were so many other easier options available. I want to play around with him more as a nostank->sorcerer and see how he'll do with Mjolnir instead though.

I've tried doing Samurai Odin as well, and it just isn't practical. With a Bronze Sword, his base STR and his average SPD and DEF, he isn't doing anything useful at all in chapters 9-10. This is especially true in that the tight hallways of chapter 9 and the rivers/walls of chapter 10 mean that ranged units and defensive units are quite useful, so when you are using ranged units like (Nyx, Niles, Jakob, Felicia) and better melee units with better defenses and better weapon ranks (Corrin, Effie, Silas, Arthur) Samurai!Odin really can't contribute unless you feed him kills, which you don't have time to do in chapters 10 or 11.

He also has to compete with Corrin, Silas, Selena, Laslow and Peri for any effective swords you find and they will surely all have better weapon ranks, stats and utility when the weapon is acquired.

Odin is perhaps the least fortunate unit in both Nohr and Revelations (although for different reasons), and if you want to use him, I recommend giving him an early class change that will boost his base stats (like Dark Flier, Grandmaster or Dread Fighter) instead of reclassing him to Samurai and giving him even more of a handicap.