Kids, and the logic behind them. Also, "Skinship"

Elieson

wow

"I'm so glad I didn't mess this up" sounds like it was read by a text to speech program

Thank you. I asked Microsoft Sam to say that line, and he delivered with the same amount of feeling

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said my part for the logic behind the children so I'll comment that Kamui's line of "soaking the field" with the blood of his enemies hilariously over the top. Are the invisible enemies even sentient? That level of rage doesn't fit with enemies that aren't targeting Kana out of personal malice.

Pretty sure this would be the reaction of any GOOD parent when their child is in trouble.

Also, as someone who has been raising 2 younger siblings by myself (I'm 25, my brother and sister are 10), I know the feeling all to well.

Edited by Kativera

The threat's intentions make a difference though. Concern for your loved ones stays the same regardless but usually anger is reserved for malicious intent. Imagine if the foe was a bear and Kamui had the same line. The bear is just there to eat you, no need to act offended. Alternatively the threat could be a storm and Kamui would unironically shout "Fuck you storm!" Sounds silly, doesn't it?

That's like saying Ripley shouldn't have said "Get away from her, you bitch!" to the Alien Queen in the movie Aliens. Personally, I like Corrin's reaction. I think it fits for an angry parent against humanoids who are trying to kill their child.

A storm isn't a person-shaped thing trying to kill your son/daughter. And I probably would fuck up/threaten to fuck up any animal that tried to hurt my nephew or niece, especially if they appeared to be human. Remember, it's only on Revelation that Invisible soldiers are really explored. Having kids takes the rationality out of you, I guess. It's not really unrealistic at all.

Basically this. Random soldiers you don't recognize attacking your kid.

I actually think the name "Kana" is way too close to the name "Hana." I wonder if they even thought about that. I'm willing to bet that "Shinonome" is going to be shortened to "Shino." No idea what they're going to do with Hisame or Kisaragi.

I actually think the name "Kana" is way too close to the name "Hana." I wonder if they even thought about that. I'm willing to bet that "Shinonome" is going to be shortened to "Shino." No idea what they're going to do with Hisame or Kisaragi.

I think Shinonome will probably become Shino or Shin. Hisame may be completely changed, or maybe changed to something else beginning with "Hi". Kisaragi could be either completely changed or shortened to Aragi or something. It's relatively easy to pronounce given it's spelled phonetically but they seem to have a theme of 'name more than three syllables? Change it.'

I'm more concerned about the change in name to Kana.

I guess they want to unjapanize the names but I'm still a bit salty about it, probably due to how much I like Kana (and differentiate it from Kanna, oh well)

(Are there males named Kana though? Huh...)

Either that or Treehouse thinks people will mispronounce "Kanna" as "Can-uh". Now, people will mispronounce "Kana" as "K-nuh"!

Either that or Treehouse thinks people will mispronounce "Kanna" as "Can-uh". Now, people will mispronounce "Kana" as "K-nuh"!

That's it. Kana is now just K' to me.

I think Shinonome will probably become Shino or Shin. Hisame may be completely changed, or maybe changed to something else beginning with "Hi". Kisaragi could be either completely changed or shortened to Aragi or something. It's relatively easy to pronounce given it's spelled phonetically but they seem to have a theme of 'name more than three syllables? Change it.'

I noticed that, too. Literally every name that's more than three syllables long has been shortened. Did they think semi-long Japanese names were too complicated for us or something? Kisaragi is super easy to say, I'm going to roll my eyes when if it's inevitably changed.

Edited by Delfino

When you hear the sound of thunder, don't you get too scared. Just grab your thunder buddy, and say these magic words: Fuck you, Thunder! You can suck my dick!

I'm sorry, I'll go now...

I thought I was the only one who told a thunder storm to suck my dick.

A storm isn't a person-shaped thing trying to kill your son/daughter. And I probably would fuck up/threaten to fuck up any animal that tried to hurt my nephew or niece, especially if they appeared to be human. Remember, it's only on Revelation that Invisible soldiers are really explored. Having kids takes the rationality out of you, I guess. It's not really unrealistic at all.

I suppose. I still think it stands out in tone from most of Kamui's lines. The Japanese lines, for example, just have him reassuring Kanna that he'll protect her but English!Kamui suddenly goes "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!". It just sounds unnecessarily angry/blood-thirsty to me. Kamui is a pretty mild guy, in general.

I'm curious to see if the other parents will be so... vengeful in the defense of their children.

Oh wait...this was already reported. lol My bad. XD

But still...the stylus can be used when they are married sometimes.

Corrin's reaction kind of reminds me of how protective Nier is to his daughter Yonah.

How protective?

This is what he does at the beginning of the game https://youtu.be/kOEYipjkGsE?t=315

As for the actual implementation of the children themselves... couldn't they have done something similar to pawns from Dragon's Dogma? Or have each of the be from a different version of the games' world since Outrealms have been established as a thing and have a part of their character arcs getting used to how different both the world and this world's version of their parents compared to what they remember? Kind of throwing ideas out here.

Edited by Seifus

Just something I wanna point out, Felicia saying 'I love you' was the most cringyest yet hilarious line ever spoken. XD

I literally laughed aloud when she stalker whispered "I love you." It totally caught me off-guard. Glad I wasn't drinking. >.>

As for the actual implementation of the children themselves... couldn't they have done something similar to pawns from Dragon's Dogma? Or have each of the be from a different version of the games' world since Outrealms have been established as a thing and have a part of their character arcs getting used to how different both the world and this world's version of their parents compared to what they remember? Kind of throwing ideas out here.

This is honestly how I thought they would implement children in future installments after Awakening. While both methods are laughable, this one has less potential plot holes.

I thought I was the only one who told a thunder storm to suck my dick.

I suppose. I still think it stands out in tone from most of Kamui's lines. The Japanese lines, for example, just have him reassuring Kanna that he'll protect her but English!Kamui suddenly goes "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!". It just sounds unnecessarily angry/blood-thirsty to me. Kamui is a pretty mild guy, in general.

I'm curious to see if the other parents will be so... vengeful in the defense of their children.

I think it adds a bit of depth to the character. It makes Corrin a more believable character to have him get pissed off at someone trying to harm his kid. It also shows that he has his flaws because of how angry he got and how it clouded his judgement. I also want to point out how the writers didn't have him just kill all of the enemies and walk away untouched like is typically done. He started taking some damage and you got a bit of a feeling he may be in over his head. Once again it gives Corrin some depth because it shows he isn't invincible either.

I am actually really growing to like Corrin better than Robin. He has more personality than Robin did, and he has faults that make him feel more human.

I noticed that, too. Literally every name that's more than three syllables long has been shortened. Did they think semi-long Japanese names were too complicated for us or something? Kisaragi is super easy to say, I'm going to roll my eyes when if it's inevitably changed.

Yukimura made it through unscathed, though. I can't really find any definite rhyme or reason to the changes they made with shortening names (although I'm glad for the Suzukaze -> Kaze change, as I find "suzu" hard to say repeatedly).

To contribute to the topic, I don't think there was much they could do in localization, since several supports (and even paralogue premises) hinge on the children growing up with their parents being largely absent, and they'd have to change all of those if they changed how the children got there. It wouldn't be impossible by any stretch of the imagination (in my opinion, at least. I don't know much about the inner workings of game localization) but it may have been more work than they were willing to put in, considering all the other work they'd have to do to complete the localized version.

Either way, I'm just rolling with it and using the Deeprealms as a springboard for fanfiction ideas.

That's honestly the best way to approach it. I think it's pretty much all but confirmed that kids were incorporated really last minute into the game, so it's best to really just theorize about their life in the Deeprealms rather than complain about how half baked the idea is.

I hope the next Fire Emblem would have time skips incorporated into the story. I'd love to see the characters we start off with get older, changing their stats (ex. Not as fast as they used to be or have gotten stronger), or perhaps some even choosing to not fight anymore, thereby requiring to carry on with the children. Sounds lovely to me.

I hope the next Fire Emblem would have time skips incorporated into the story. I'd love to see the characters we start off with get older, changing their stats (ex. Not as fast as they used to be or have gotten stronger), or perhaps some even choosing to not fight anymore, thereby requiring to carry on with the children. Sounds lovely to me.

This is, for me at least, the best case scenario going forward. I absolutely adore that idea, but unfortunately I'm skeptical as to whether it will ever happen given the series' current direction. I don't think they're ready to/will commit to the idea of a timeskip or featuring children as a if not the main plot point of a flagship FE game. I think there was a poll conducted by Famitsu which claimed that the idea of a FE4-style 2nd gen wasn't so popular. I think there are a lot of reason for this so I'm really not keeping my hopes up, but I can at least dream... :(

This is, for me at least, the best case scenario going forward. I absolutely adore that idea, but unfortunately I'm skeptical as to whether it will ever happen given the series' current direction. I don't think they're ready to/will commit to the idea of a timeskip or featuring children as a if not the main plot point of a flagship FE game. I think there was a poll conducted by Famitsu which claimed that the idea of a FE4-style 2nd gen wasn't so popular. I think there are a lot of reason for this so I'm really not keeping my hopes up, but I can at least dream... :(

I believe another strategy game series already uses this plot device. I think it was called, Record of Agarest War.

I've been meaning to try it but I promised not to buy any more RPG's other than Fire Emblem Fates until I have finished Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2, Tales of Xillia 2, and Tales of Zesteria. Good gosh those games require ample time though. Meanwhile, I've spent more than 700 hours on FE: Awakening. :tangerinesadness:

I think a time skip would be an ideal way to handle the children, probably even the only way since you can only do time shenanigans for so long until you can't take the teenage parents seriously any longer.

However I think the current route Fire emblem is taking prevents a time skip from taking place. When pairing characters up it helps if those characters are attractive and I don't see it as a coincidence that the characters above 30 started to come in very short supply after the pairing feature became big in Awakening. A time skip would require you to age characters up which in turn makes a ''waifu or husbando'' less ''do-able'' to fans who are drawn by the pairing mechanic.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

^Personally I don't think a time skip would work with how the mechanics are now and the more equal character representation since any time skip would remove the ability to make the pairings at your own leisure. Imagine if by chapter 13/14 of Awakening or Fates you were expected to have everyone paired, it'd be unreasonable without grinding. Even Genealogy's 1st generation you had a grand total of 7 Females(Excluding Diedre and Ethylin) to pair and 13 males(Excluding Sigurd and Quan) to pair them with and mechanics where characters could marry within the span of 1 chapter, not 4 and even then you have to go out of your way to not play normally to make many of those pairings happen...in the 2nd gen I hardly get any marriages since there's little reason to have characters glued together before they're married.

As a game mechanic I think Fates has implemented it the best in pairing, the way you recruit the children characters and how useful the children are when they are recruited(I'd argue the strength/level/skills they have during almost any point of the game is actually better balanced than most FE games including the 1st gen in Revelatons) which can only really be accomplished by having the marriage/children being an optional side mechanic that you can do anywhere between the start of the campaign and the end.

My opinion of a dimension aging the children rapidly is that it's odd but it's a fantasy RPG the genre exists for worlds that allow unrealistic and out of the ordinary events. One of the most highly regarded JRPGs has a very similar plot point to age one its characters.

Edited by arvilino

My opinion of a dimension aging the children rapidly is that it's odd but it's a fantasy RPG the genre exists for worlds that allow unrealistic and out of the ordinary events. One of the most highly regarded JRPGs has a very similar plot point to age one its characters.

That is an opinion I myself might have held if I believed the children belonged in the game. That does not seem to be the case. The late reveal, the incredible awkward way its handled and the complete lack of the children in the plot makes me believe it was a very late addition with no further ambition then to stay in Awakenings comfortable shadow.

I'l admit I never thought about the mechanical implementation. I don't think it would be a deal breaker if a player gets plenty of information about there being a second generation and if the way to pair characters up won't be to clunky.

What makes me think time skips are the way to go is that the explanations for having teenagers have children (or children having teenagers) are finite. Time travel explained the second gen in Awakening well enough but you can't pull that in ever game. The hyperbolic time chamber explains the situation too I guess but the reception of that explanation has been very negative and it doesn't combine well with any aspect of Fates plots, which in turn leads to the second gen being wholly detached from the story. I think its a sign that we are already seeing how IS is running out of explanations for having absurdly young parents.

Its fun to pair characters up, being a parent does bring out different sides of a character and I find Fates children to be very well done. I can see the logic of a fun little feature being optional to be completed at ones leisure but if its optional then it means the second generation can possibly be detached from the story and even weaken that story thanks to the justifications it has to provide. I find such an outcome unsatisfying and detrimental to the kids themselves. I think the feature would only truly work if its tied into the story and if the kids are a true part of that story.

Edited by Etrurian emperor