Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

As the topic above says. What are your opinions that (you think) are in the minority of the FE fandom?

As for me:

• I am quite happy to play a remake of Binding Blade.
  • Looking back, I don't really care too much about Roy not having his promotion until Chapter 21. I just assumed that that was just part of the difficulty expected for an average Fire Emblem game. Being a first-timer in the series at that time, the late promotion actually felt rewarding for me.
  • I'm actually turned off from trying Fire Emblem 7. It's seems to be just a bunch of small-party adventuring episodes, without that epic war feel that almost all of the other games have. (It's the only game in the entire series that I don't want to play.)
  • Level grinding is entirely fair game; I feel that not using that when you're given the opportunity is like not bringing in a cheat sheet for a maths test when the teacher allows you to.(*) Arena abuse is also fine, because that is simply using the otherwise scarce opportunity to level up. Of course, it would be a different story if you happened to be overlevelled or playing with specific restrictions.
  • For a possible future title, I'd like to see an Industrial Revoultion setting. Whether this entails a crossover with Advance Wars, I don't know.

So what is yours?

(*) When I took my Australian Year 12 maths test, we were allowed to take in two A4-sized cheat sheets.

Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE6 is the only game I have any sort of animosity towards, but I don't think its particularly well liked so I find it hard to say that it's an unpopular opinion.

I dislike reclassing, but then again it's hard to judge how many people do like it or not.

Edited by Tryhard

*I'm actually fine with the Blood Pacts and don't consider them a horrible stain on fiction that degrades Radiant Dawn to the level of pure trash.

**Actually yeah, a large part of Radiant Dawn's criticized plot in general I'm fine with. Maybe because it was my first Fire Emblem or maybe just because I appreciate more the concept of what they were trying to do.

*After playing hard mode I'm also totally fine with the low hit rates in FE6. Know how to work the terrain and weapon triangle and that annoyance suddenly becomes the game's largest boon.

*Tharcia's lack of unit placing makes complete sense. At least when it comes to the chapters surrounding Leif's promotion. It's not some arbitrary bullshit restriction, it's something to encourage you to train your entire army and manage unexpected scenarios. Still don't want to see it come back though.

Edited by Jotari

I actually quite like Roy as a character.

I have a very hard time taking Zephiel seriously as a villain.

I think Radiant dawn's plot has things that don't work and I do not like some things but overall I like and even respect the story of RD.

I find male Morgan a lot better than his female counterpart.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I actually quite like Roy as a character.

I have a very hard time taking Zephiel seriously as a villain.

I think Radiant dawn's plot has things that don't work and I do not like some things but overall I like and even respect the story of RD.

I find male Morgan a lot better than his female counterpart.

Ooh. I have this one too.

I like Roy the character too. And Micaiah.

Wolt's my favorite FE character

I don't use Fighters/Brigands/etc. under almost any circumstance

I hate Ike

I consider FE9's plot rather boring, though I will admit they wrote it well.

I like the GBA support system and want it back

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I think it's fun to watch bad players so long as they learn from their mistakes.

I don't really like FE9's gameplay.

I like Roy too, so is it a popular opinion yet?

I don't mind F!Morgan and she always gets used even though I should hate her personality. Cute+Stong>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Personality.

Shadow Dragon's reclassing was fun.

Edited by Zerosabers

Does anyone actually hate Roy as a character? I've never heard him been criticised for anything apart from gameplay performance.

Anyway, I like Roy well enough; he has some depth to him, but it's rather subtle and isn't really tied into the plot (compared to someone like Elincia.

I dislike Micaiah, but because she wasn't zealous enough; being a full-fledged anti-hero would have made for a nice change of pace.

Also she shouldn't have shared her game with been supplanted by Ike but I don't know how unpopular that is.

Defence should be a non-growth stat that tends to be inversely proportional to move; to allow armours and mounts to fill their niches more appropriately.

Does anyone actually hate Roy as a character? I've never heard him been criticised for anything apart from gameplay performance.

Anyway, I like Roy well enough; he has some depth to him, but it's rather subtle and isn't really tied into the plot (compared to someone like Elincia.

I dislike Micaiah, but because she wasn't zealous enough; being a full-fledged anti-hero would have made for a nice change of pace.

Also she shouldn't have shared her game with been supplanted by Ike but I don't know how unpopular that is.

Defence should be a non-growth stat that tends to be inversely proportional to move; to allow armours and mounts to fill their niches more appropriately.

I too like Roy as a character but more on what I want to say.

This bolded part sounds interesting! Do you have a formula in mind? Or is it just a conceptual idea

I think Radiant Dawn is a mediocre game, gameplay and story wise. It's my least favorite fire emblem game.

I think Shadow Dragon is a fantastic game and New Mystery was a step down compared to it.

I think skills, specially proc skills, are a terrible addition to the series, that only make the games more luck based

Path of Radience, even counting Maniac Mode, is even easier than Sacred Stones. There's nothing on it that comes close to phantom ship or father and son when it comes to difficulty. Still a good game, though.

The Tellius art style is a bit boring.

Edited by Nobody

• Bringing back FE10 support system, because it was the best gameplaywise.

FE13 never ever should have been existed like it does. The story and gameplay are just horrible for a FE game from 2013.

Bringing back all the staves and introducing new ones.

Disabling enemies' attack range as a customized option at least.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

The newer games give too much class customization. I hate having to make spreadsheets and look at charts to figure out what classes give what and what parents need to have what skills to pass to what kids and what path the kids need to take, etc. Just give me 2-3 promotions and I'm set.

I'm actually turned off from trying Fire Emblem 7. It's seems to be just a bunch of small-party adventuring episodes, without that epic war feel that almost all of the other games have. (It's the only game in the entire series that I don't want to play.)

Funny enough this is one of the reasons I love it's story so much... It makes it feel like a much more personal and intimate story and frankly it's story makes more sense from a gameplay perpective considering the low amount of units you have versus say Sacred Stones where you are fighting a war with a small gorilla army for reasons...

Keep an open mind and give it a shot you might just like it... I hate shadow dragon and you know what I decided to give New Mystery a shot dispite the fact that I was pretty sure I would hate it, and you know what I actually quite liked it, it's not my favorite fire emblem by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoyed it and I am happy I took the risk.

Sorry for the speech I just like to encourage people to step outside there comfort zones as I would have never played my 3rd favorite game of all time (Mother 3) if I didn't.

Now on to the actually topic

I hate Shadow Dragon

I LOVE Fire emblem 7's story and 9's

I think Ninian & Lyn are good characters.

I like using archers even on high difficults

I like using Knights as well (though only Oswin, Gatrie, and sometimes Gilliam and Brom)

I think the Warrior / Fighter class is utter trash and never use any of them... Berserkers and Pirates forever!

I hate the a large number of characters in Awakening I think most of them are just us flat as Ilyana and Lowen.

I think Fire Emblem does have some good storytelling chops though this only applies to FE 7, 9, and 4.

I Hate Reclassing.

I think FE 8's story isn't half bad.

Edited by Locke087

Fire emblem 9 characters are bad because they are too flanderized.

Dismounting is cool, it just needs to be implemented well.

There are no bad characters whatsoever, you can use every single character in every single game from when you get him to end game. At the very least, stat boosts are a thing.

Gameplay-wise, I like Eliwood more than Hector and Lyn.

Edited by Enaluxeme

Reclassing is rad and both of the DSFE games are great fun

Lunatic Reverse/Plus is not a bad difficulty, what you're getting into is laid out in a pretty obvious manner

I don't like proc skills and am lukewarm towards skills in general

The GBA games are my least favorite in the series aside from FE1

I still like 'em though

E: I like the assassin subplot in FE12

Edited by Ambling Falchion

I like Roy character wise

Roy's my personal favorite MC gameplay wise. Yes, really

No FE has yet to have a great story, tho I do enjoy FE7's and 13's plots even if I think they aren't great stories.

Gaiden, Mystery, and Tear Ring Saga are the only good Kaga era games, and even then the post Kaga era games barring RD are all superior.

I prefer Fates weapon triangle and weapon effects to the old triangle and weapon durability

I like the Avatar characters in FE7 and 13, and I like what I've seen of Corrin.

That said, I really dislike Kris for some reason

As much as I love FE7, I can't stand Ninian, and REFUSE to pair her with Eliwood.

I prefer FE3 dragonstone mechanics to dragonstones implementation in other games.

I really enjoy Shadow Dragon, and don't mind it's Gaiden requirements even if I never go for them.

I don't like Ephraim or Hector.

I love FE3 style Dismount.

Edited by MCProductions