Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

My unpopular opinion is that i'm not the biggest fan of the Black Knight. I used to be, but I lost pretty much all respect for the character after Radiant's dawn endgame.

Oh hey, you too? This is the exactly why the Black Knight was, for the longest time, my least favorite character of all the FE games that I'd played. And then came Kamui …

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't understand why people hate the BK because of that. Personally, it actually made me like him even more than I already did. I guess that's an unpopular opinion too.

Can you seriously stop saying "I don't understand why certain people feel this way that I don't agree with"? No one CARES what you think. No one cares if you understand why we feel a certain way or not. And when you keep repeating "I don't understand" or "I'll never understand" it makes you sound like something is wrong with people's opinions if they disagree with you. You don't need to express every little opinion you have!

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying that you can never say "I don't understand ___". But the way you say it comes off as being awfully defensive and trying to assert your opinions as superior rather than just stating that you just don't understand or agree with a certain viewpoint fandom has.

Edited by Sunwoo

What exactly made people's opinions change about the Black Knight? The only thing I remember about the RD endgame is that he looks ridiculous without his helmet.

Not just you. Mounted units already had a movement lead, so why in the world do they get to reposition after battling to boot?

Even though I'm not a fan of how OP mounts are, I actually like console canto, because it allows for hit-and-run tactics to make them more than "infantry with pre-installed boots". But they need to be given more weaknesses (or infantry more advantages) to keep class balance.

Can you seriously stop saying "I don't understand why certain people feel this way that I don't agree with"? No one CARES what you think. No one cares if you understand why we feel a certain way or not. And when you keep repeating "I don't understand" or "I'll never understand" it makes you sound like something is wrong with people's opinions if they disagree with you. You don't need to express every little opinion you have!

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying that you can never say "I don't understand ___". But the way you say it comes off as being awfully defensive and trying to assert your opinions as superior rather than just stating that you just don't understand or agree with a certain viewpoint fandom has.

Wow, are you having a bad day? You sound angry and rude here. I'm sorry if the day isn't going well for you, but that doesn't mean you have to take it out on me.

Also, this is a thread for expressing opinions, so I will do that if I want to, thanks.

And Baldrick, I'm not sure, I felt he was made deeper and more likable. He was more sympathetic, and all around not as villainous as he seemed to be before. And the mystery surrounding him was gone. I felt that that scene gave him development and closure. He wanted to see if he had surpassed Greil, he found his answer with one last fair duel with Ike.

Edited by Anacybele

I actually like the repairable weapon system of FE4 /Genealogy, too. I actually have my own ideas about how that could work in the series. I've always thought, like..."Legendary" weapons (Sword of Seals, Falchion, etc.) are unlimited use, "Personal" weapons (Wolf Beil, Mani Katti, etc.) could be repaired, and everything else has the classic breakability/durability. But *shrugs* that's just my own little idea.

Hmm Why not

-FE11 is not the worst FE and is actually fun

-I think FE5 is one of the better FE simply because it manages to tie in the story and gameplay nicely (mostly fatigue while kinda meh fits well)

-I could care less for story things so as long as I enjoy the gameplay it's a good FE Game

-going off of this; it's why I don't like FE9/10 they're probably lowest on my FE list because the games go soooo slow until midgame and I can't stand playing it to finish past my first playthrough

I dunno these are probably boring but I was bored

I think RD endgame would've done a good job revealing the BK's identity on its own imo, too bad Ranulf does it before though. I actually knew it before playing Tellius because I stumbled upon spoilers :[

Not just you. Mounted units already had a movement lead, so why in the world do they get to reposition after battling to boot?

Balance issues are a thing, but I actually have fun exploiting that sometimes, mainly in PoR. I have bigger problem with the fact that it entirely trivializes positioning strategies that are supposed to limit the enemies' attacks, such as chokepoints, formation, or just the primitive "throw one unit at the mess and they'll barely survive because the enemies won't have enough room to attack" shenanigans. Enemies moving to unreachable tiles after I try to pull them is also more of an annoyance than something that improves gameplay imo

Edited by Gradivus.

And I don't understand why people hate the BK because of that. Personally, it actually made me like him even more than I already did. I guess that's an unpopular opinion too.

Well my reason is mostly because I don't believe the Black Knight deserves any of the good things the game throws at him. I'm not seeing Ike's final teacher or the last true knight. I see a murderer who sought a man out and decided to kill him just so he could satisfy his ego. Wanting to see if you are stronger then your teacher isn't exactly a valid reason to kill someone even if your being 'fair' about it.

Edited by Sasori

Well my reason is mostly because I don't believe the Black Knight deserves any of the good things the game throws at him. I'm not seeing Ike's final teacher or the last true knight. I see a murderer who sought a man out and decided to kill him just so he could satisfy his ego. Wanting to see if you are stronger then your master isn't exactly a valid reason to kill someone even if your being 'fair' about it.

yeah, I was personally pretty disappointed when I found out how shallow the Black Knight's motivations were

like, it would've been cool if it actually mattered to his character, like choosing between loyalty to his master/country over his selfish pride or something like that

but instead the only thing it ever leads to is his own death, and not even in a way that makes it seem like it's related to that

I don't actually know what's unpopular outside my small circle of FE friends

- Eirika is my favorite lord

- I like Maribelle

- I didn't like story of FE7

- I don't hate Awakening despite thinking it's the worst FE game (that' I've played)

- I actually like marriage and children as concepts, but they introduce way too many related issues (badly written supports getting overrepresented, lack of non-romantic supports and endings, stupid plot elements like time travel and whatever alternate space mumbo jumbo Fates has to justify children joining the army, the list goes on... Also why do we have Avatarsexuals in games where supposedly everyone should be able to marry anyone?).

- I'm also fine with Avatars as idea, but said characters shouldn't be such insufferable spotlight stealers and glory hogs in-story. Also, I see them just another character (whose appearance you decide) instead of a player insert. I never see player inserts as player inserts.

- related: Mark was my favorite of FE7's main characters (as little "main" as he/she was)

- I want to see mounted units that are super weak sauce with stats but have Tellius-style Canto and Awakening-style weapon triangle dominance

- I never hated archers being weak (though I wouldn't mind seeing them be stronger either)

- What Sasori said about Black Knight (I didn't know this opinion was unpopular until now though)

Edited by Sylphid

Well my reason is mostly because I don't believe the Black Knight deserves any of the good things the game throws at him. I'm not seeing Ike's final teacher or the last true knight. I see a murderer who sought a man out and decided to kill him just so he could satisfy his ego. Wanting to see if you are stronger then your teacher isn't exactly a valid reason to kill someone even if your being 'fair' about it.

That's fine, I suppose I just didn't see the BK that way. The BK offered Ragnell to Greil and even asked him if he wanted to die after he refused to use Ragnell. I saw this as the BK actually giving Greil a chance to back out of the fight.

But everyone interprets things differently. I just wanted a better understanding of why some people don't like the BK and I believe I do now.

FE3/12 have the worst pegasus knight distribution in the series.

Having three absolutely stellar flying units, one of them with an awesome personal weapon, as soon as Chapter 5: surely you meant best distribution?? (Let's ignore Est, now and forever)

Yeah, I can't stand the Black Knight because the game paints him as this oh so noble type of character that we're supposed to feel sorry for but in the end it's nothing like that. He definitely doesn't deserve the light the game paints for him.

Am I the only person that thinks the BK DID deserve all that? I was also the only person saying that Tellius had a better story than the GBA games did. Do my story tastes just suck or something? I just feel disappointed...

Am I the only person that thinks the BK DID deserve all that? I was also the only person saying that Tellius had a better story than the GBA games did. Do my story tastes just suck or something? I just feel disappointed...

Probably not since the BK is a pretty popular most of the time. I did like him for being pretty cool untill that one moment happened.

The Black Knight being a good character or not also doesn't neccesarily make the tellius series have a better or worse story then the GBA games. I thought the Tellius series had a far more ambitious premise and it did pull a lot of it off pretty well. It had a good world, lots of actually relevant characters and it juggled a lot of good idea's. However I also thought some of those things just did't work out all that well in practice.

The GBA games tell a simpler story so its easier for those games to avoid misstakes

Edited by Sasori

Yeah, I can't stand the Black Knight because the game paints him as this oh so noble type of character that we're supposed to feel sorry for but in the end it's nothing like that. He definitely doesn't deserve the light the game paints for him.

These are my thoughts. He is also especially sinister and mocking in PoR, suggesting that he'd rape Mist and murder Ike in front of Greil if Greil didn't cooperate. But I'm supposed to be sad when he dies? Yeah...no.

suggesting that he'd rape Mist and murder Ike in front of Greil if Greil didn't cooperate.

What? Where did the BK mention anything about rape? I remember him saying he could kill Ike and Mist, that's about it. But he gave Greil a chance to get away alive after that, like I pointed out, when he asked "do you want to die?"

Probably not since the BK is a pretty popular most of the time. I did like him for being pretty cool untill that one moment happened.

The Black Knight being a good character or not also doesn't neccesarily make the tellius series have a better or worse story then the GBA games. I thought the Tellius series had a far more ambitious premise and it did pull a lot of it off pretty well. It had a good world, lots of actually relevant characters and it juggled a lot of good idea's. However I also thought some of those things just did't work out all that well in practice.

The GBA games tell a simpler story so its easier for those games to avoid misstakes

I see... I just feel like I can't tell what's good writing and what isn't. It's probably my lack of interpretation skills. It seems like what people say is bad writing I think is good writing and what I think is bad writing, they say it's good writing. I seem to be able to tell what good story concepts are though.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd like to point out that he effectively admits he murdered Greil by mistake in Radiant Dawn. He went there intending to fight and beat him but outright killing him like that was a mistake since Greil wasn't up to scratch due to the whole tendon thing. He would have certainly saw Greil's death as a possibility but I don't think it was his goal. Also I think the interpretation that Zelgius isn't nearly as noble as he thinks he is, is present in Radiant Dawn (though it still could have been built upon further). Let's not forget that his motivation in the End Game is to fight Ike one more time and he's literally supporting the destruction of humanity to achieve that goal. Being Sephiran's disciple I think the true character of the Black Knight is a nihilist who holds Greil's combat as the only thing truly worth while in the world. And while the game does show him in some positive light as he's dying, everyone was also super pissed at him before that when he showed up to the point where Ike took an attack first, ask questions later attitude immediately.

Also personally I liked Ranulf spoiling the surprise like that. It's seemed somewhat more realistic. In life massive revelations don't always happen at critical moments. sometimes your best friend just mentions something to you and you're like whoa. I'll keep that in mind.

What? Where did the BK mention anything about rape? I remember him saying he could kill Ike and Mist, that's about it. But he gave Greil a chance to get away alive after that, like I pointed out, when he asked "do you want to die?"

That would be the line where he promises to invite "horrors" on her or something to that effect. Which I took more offense to the fact that it makes no sense from Griel and Ike's perspective since as far as they know, he should have no idea of Mist's existence.

Edited by Jotari

I like Ranulf spoiling it too, it also felt realistic to me, though I wasn't sure exactly how until you just pointed it out, Jotari. I just wasn't sure how to explain it, I guess. But you're totally right.

And oh, that line. Well, I just felt like he was bluffing there to get Greil to take the bait. xP

Especially after the one chapter in RD where Zelgius tries to stand down when Elincia disarms herself. If he really would not harm an unarmed woman, he certainly wouldn't do so to a young, unarmed girl.

Edited by Anacybele

Mia is better than Zihark.

I don't really like Hector.

Mounted units need a heavy nerf.

Lucina is better than Marth and the little ****s saying she should go and Marth should stay on the Smash Boards are doing so only because Marth was there first.

Awakening is a good game and fits in fine with FE.

Anna is the one true Random Number Goddess and should be worshiped by offering her copious amounts of money and loot to gain her favor, but ONLY if you're not trying to curry her favor will she respond. Sort of like quantum physics.

Swordsmasters and swords in general are decent.

Ranulf spoiling the BK's identity is so stupid. The way it happens is just terribly written and executed, with absolutely no build-up, it's out of nowhere, and there isn't even a fancy cutscene to go with it. It's awful.

Yes, it's indeed realistic, but in a work of fiction, you need to choose what to show your audience and what not. And at that point in the game, and with the way it was done, it was definitely a bad idea to tell THE PLAYER the BK's identity.

1. "Do you want to die?" wasn't an offer for Greil to withdraw, it was telling him he'd die if he refused to use Ragnel. This line also contradicts Jotari's interpretation of BK only killing Greil on accident because it implies it's going to be a fight to the death. The only accident was that he didn't know Greil had a handicap.

2. As Jotari said above, BK said "Oh the horrors I will visit upon her" which implies torture at the very least but could also mean rape. I think it was a bluff too but that doesn't change the fact that he mortally wounded a man, mocked him and threatened to murder his son and possibly rape his daughter if he didn't comply. In short, BK is a pretty shitty guy that is treated as noble in RD.

1. "Do you want to die?" wasn't an offer for Greil to withdraw, it was telling him he'd die if he refused to use Ragnel. This line also contradicts Jotari's interpretation of BK only killing Greil on accident because it implies it's going to be a fight to the death. The only accident was that he didn't know Greil had a handicap.

2. As Jotari said above, BK said "Oh the horrors I will visit upon her" which implies torture at the very least but could also mean rape. I think it was a bluff too but that doesn't change the fact that he mortally wounded a man, mocked him and threatened to murder his son and possibly rape his daughter if he didn't comply. In short, BK is a pretty shitty guy that is treated as noble in RD.

I don't think it does. In fact I think it supports it more. The Black Knight is basically telling Greil he's serious, that he won't hold back (and indeed he doesn't). He's not saying "I'm going to kill you." He's saying "Take this serious bro. Use the weapon triangle or you're finished". The Black Knight is clearly confused by Greil's behaviour. This is supported later with the main quote that gives me the impression he did it by accident.

"Three years ago, I caught up to my master. I challenged him to a duel, and was victorious. But, something was wrong… The fight had been too simple. My master… He had had severed all the tendons in his right hand, and swore never again to draw a blade. Can you imagine my joy when I found out this news? I knew that a swordsman of his stature couldn’t have been so easy to defeat!”

Though as I stated before, he would have been aware Greil's death is a possibility, I just don't think it was his actual goal. He wanted to defeat his master and nothing else. I'm trying to think of a parallel somewhere else in the series but as far as franchises go it doesn't tend to leave many characters alive after a fight (unless you're Awakening)

Also on the note of the Black Knight's flip flopping his chivalry, he also decides to spare Ena for no reason despite promising to kill her back in PoR, before Radiant Dawn apparently bastardized his character.

Edited by Jotari

Mia is better than Zihark.

Lucina is better than Marth and the little ****s saying she should go and Marth should stay on the Smash Boards are doing so only because Marth was there first.

First point: even though I disagree, that seems to be a popular opinion as far as I've seen.

Second point: Can you not talk like this, please? I'm one of those "****s" that thinks Lucina should go and Marth should stay in Smash and that Marth is better and I find your wording offensive. I've also been called out for saying such things, so if I'm not allowed to do it, nobody else should get a free pass.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also agree with Jotari's post.

Edited by Anacybele