Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Let me see if I can make my earlier statement clearer. I realize I should have phrased it better.

I believe Lucina is better than Marth as a character and as a representative to Fire Emblem seeing how Marth's games didn't come out in the west until the DS re-releases that almost marked the end of the series. Meanwhile Lucina's game WAS released in the west and is responsible for keeping the series alive. As such I believe she merits the spot more than Marth does.

Also, a lot of people claim Lucina should go and Marth should stay and resort to saying a bunch of negative things about Lucina, spamming hate topics, and the like. In my opinion the only reason this is even happening is because Marth came out first. This seems further bolstered by the demand to have Roy back despite how he was a clone in Smash and likely would be a clone in Smash 4 if he did come back (which is exactly what happened). If Lucina had been on the roster and Marth added in later as a 'Lucina clone' people would be saying he should be removed instead.

While I adore having 6 FE reps in Sm4sh, Lucina should of just stayed a palate swap of Marth. FE is more popular in Japan, so it makes sense Marth would keep the main slot.

I'm hyped for SMTxFE

FE1 and 2, while a bit dated, are both very good games.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

despite how he was a clone in Smash and likely would be a clone in Smash 4 if he did come back (which is exactly what happened).

Roy got changed a lot, just saying. He shares like three attacks with Marth in SSB4.

Also, Marth is like, an icon and mascot for FE in general as the first lord. Removing him would make very little sense. Lucina doesn't have nearly as much compared to Marth, who appeared in four games as the protagonist, including the first game.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Also, a lot of people claim Lucina should go and Marth should stay and resort to saying a bunch of negative things about Lucina, spamming hate topics, and the like. In my opinion the only reason this is even happening is because Marth came out first. This seems further bolstered by the demand to have Roy back despite how he was a clone in Smash and likely would be a clone in Smash 4 if he did come back (which is exactly what happened). If Lucina had been on the roster and Marth added in later as a 'Lucina clone' people would be saying he should be removed instead.

… You do realize that in a world where Marth came out in the first FE game and Lucina only the thirteenth FE game there is NO reason that Lucina would've been on the roster first and Marth added later as a Lucina clone? If for whatever reason Lucina had been added to SSB before Marth even if Marth's game came first, I'm pretty sure she would've gotten a lot of hate for being some random lord who got in before the guy whose game started all of FE. And no duh Marth came first, without Marth you wouldn't have FE and you definitely wouldn't have Lucina.

Not to mention that Lucina drew some ire because there are people who feel that regardless of circumstances she should not have her own slot before the actual main character of FE13. And Chrom IS more of a main character to FE13 than Lucina is. And whether I agree with them or not people have a variety of reasons as to why they dislike Lucina, it's not ALWAYS related to Marth. On the contrary, I find that Dark Pit and sometimes Dr. Mario get a lot more hate than she does and Lucina is the one who gets the pass more compared to the three clones because she's "waifu material".

I think the worst part about Fire Emblem now is the fanbase, not the games. Basically two extremes constantly clashing with each other and being toxic and a bunch of lurkers/people who keep to themselves who look on from the sidelines (me). I think the fanbase deal might be fixable but probably not because people on the internet are stubborn, bad at interacting with people, and sensitive. See: I'll have probably offended someone with this, with some backlash response, maybe saying that I am a part or even the center of the problem, lol. That kind of "I need to go to war with everyone" attitude is in a lot of people, the controversies over the recent games are just catalysts for that, IMO.

I think using the cop-out "it's optional" to avoid responding to/accepting critique is the worst thing anyone can do and makes themselves look like a complete moron. Mostly in regards to new-FE when people tell others "it's optional" so things like the waifuservice etc. have no effect on one's experience or the game and therefore are not valid things to criticize/complain about. It's such a bad argument I basically lose all my faith in humanity when people say that.

I don't see the grounds to be impressed about Fates having same-sex couples.

I agree with these^

This seems further bolstered by the demand to have Roy back despite how he was a clone in Smash and likely would be a clone in Smash 4 if he did come back (which is exactly what happened).

This is entirely false. That is exactly what did not happen. Roy was changed a LOT. Do you even Smash, bro? <See what I did there?

Sure we might as well just remove Pikachu from the roster while we're at it since there are much better things to represent current pokemon. And Ganondorf hasn't appeared in a main series Zelda game in the past ten years either so we should get rid of him. Nobody has Game & Watches or R.O.Bs anymore either so I don't see what they're doing on the roster.

Actually I do have a Game & Watch.

Edited by Jotari

different opinion: Lucina and Marth are better than Ike, Roy, and Robin and I'd rather have either than anyone else from FE

Lucina is absolute perfection. Ike is a bad character. I'm fine with Roy and Robin. I'd rather the Smash FE roster have been Marth/Roy/Lucina/Robin with maybe Corrin and replace Ike with Squirtle.

Oh, we're being condescending with our opinions? Nah, it's not worth going down to that level.

I don't care for Lucina in Smash, because it feels like she doesn't get the same damage output as Marth. Haven't picked up Roy/Corrin, don't really like heavy guys (sorry Ike), and I'm not patient enough to figure out Robin. It looks like other people find 'em fun, so more power to them. I'll stick to Marth, and once I get off my lazy bum and pick up the DLC characters, I'll decide whether or not I want to incorporate them into my super-tiny roster of guys I can sorta-use.

The main reason why people like Lucina so much is so dudes can have fuck fantasies about Marth without it being gay.

So if I like Marth because he's amusing and Lucina because she's one of the better-done personalities, does that make me interested in a threesome? :P:

I think the worst part about Fire Emblem now is the fanbase, not the games. Basically two extremes constantly clashing with each other and being toxic and a bunch of lurkers/people who keep to themselves who look on from the sidelines (me). I think the fanbase deal might be fixable but probably not because people on the internet are stubborn, bad at interacting with people, and sensitive. See: I'll have probably offended someone with this, with some backlash response, maybe saying that I am a part or even the center of the problem, lol. That kind of "I need to go to war with everyone" attitude is in a lot of people, the controversies over the recent games are just catalysts for that, IMO.

This describes a lot of fan bases, sadly, not just Fire Emblem. The Internet has given people a chance to speak, more-or-less equally, and not everyone knows how to respect the opinions of others. A little bit of restraint and respect would go a long way. :):

There's also the fact that anything I like becomes popular, good work sheep.

Let's vote on popular things~!

##Vote: Shin

Tee-hee~!

I don't see the grounds to be impressed about Fates having same-sex couples. None of the pairable characters who can marry another man or woman are actually homosexual (especially not Soleil) as opposed to swinging for Kamui. The same-sex pairings are only there due to man-on-man and woman-on-woman both being noticeable sexual fantasies among heterosexual men and women (look up ''Fujoshi''). Japanese game devs at large don't care about being ''inclusive'' as Americans call it beyond dealing with localizations.

Imagine the nightmare if there was a truly gay character that Avatar couldn't marry because he/she was the wrong gender!

I wish people would not blame Ike for Micaiah's upstaging, because I believe it was actually Yune that did this, Ike only added fuel to the fire. But I AM also disappointed that Micaiah's spotlight was thrown aside regardless.

In fact, saying Yune was the one that stole the spotlight and not Ike seems to be another unpopular statement/opinion for me since I hardly ever see anyone else say it was Yune.

. . .and this is pretty accurate. Micaiah's got her own plotline, the Ike comes in, and then Micaiah loses her damn voice because Yune speaks through her. RD could've done a better job of balancing out the voices, though.

Came up with one more

I don't think most pre-Awakening characters are any less shallow, one-dimensional or gimmicky than Awakening characters. But Awakening is more in-your-face about that due to the number of supports.

I agree with this. Most of the FE characters dont have much to them outside of supports, and their gimmicks are pretty limited because of limited supports. Characters like Mia and Ilyana are hopelessly one dimensional, but you just dont see how one dimensional they are if you dont use them with other characters. Because fe13 has everyone supporting with everyone, you just see more repeats.

Let me see if I can make my earlier statement clearer. I realize I should have phrased it better.

I believe Lucina is better than Marth as a character and as a representative to Fire Emblem seeing how Marth's games didn't come out in the west until the DS re-releases that almost marked the end of the series. Meanwhile Lucina's game WAS released in the west and is responsible for keeping the series alive. As such I believe she merits the spot more than Marth does.

I still think your logic is BS. Instead of trying to do mental gymnastic as to why you like Lucina more than Marth, why not just say "i like Lucina better because shes Marth with boobs. And shes more popular on my side of the fence." Just...srsly mate.

I still think your logic is BS. Instead of trying to do mental gymnastic as to why you like Lucina more than Marth, why not just say "i like Lucina better because shes Marth with boobs. And shes more popular on my side of the fence." Just...srsly mate.

But Lucina doesn't have boobs

And either way I'm pretty sure Marth is more popular everywhere to begin with anyway.

Imagine the nightmare if there was a truly gay character that Avatar couldn't marry because he/she was the wrong gender!

So it'd pretty much be no different from the current being a gay person and playing Fire Emblem experience. As long as we get a good gay character out of the deal I don't care if I can marry them or not.

(Rant on fandom that's spoiler'd due to length and off-topicness)

Honestly, the problem with the fanbase are the two extremes, and I don't just mean reddit elitist types and Etika "waifufags". There are those who are just so quick to judge and go passive-aggressive because of that.

I'll refrain from using names here, but I've seen certain people who've taken any negativity towards Awakening as grounds for being an "elitist". And then there's the jokers who think that what they've read on TvTropes totally means that FE has a bunch of incest and all veteran fans are whiny hypocrites.

Then there's asshats who make comments such as "Take a shot for every Awakening fan who says it saved the series", and put out 35-second "opinion" videos that can be summarized as "This series is a fucking joke. Sorry not sorry. Wake me up again when FE has regained its fucking soul.", while going around in the comments saying "LOL at the dislikes" and "just speaking the truth".

Though neither of them may be as extreme as some, they're still basing their opinion of the "other side" of off negative stereotypes and stating their opinions very provocatively/passive-aggressively. Some people need to say "Okay, what is it you don't like about Awakening?" or "As long as you're not super pushy with you're beliefs, it's okay to dislike Awakening", while others need to either just shut up if they're going to be that melodramatic and prickly or put out semi-substantial, chill and thoughtful opinion videos.

I don't think of myself as having thin skin, but the arguments between the two far sides of the fandom is pretty grating.

Anyway, on-topic:

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Roy, and use him a lot in Smash Bros. (sure, he's not the best rep for the GBA era, but he's the only realistic one now)

For the most part, I don't "hate" characters; I dislike the way they're written, and direct that dislike towards the writers.

Honestly, the problem with the fanbase are the two extremes, and I don't just mean reddit elitist types and Etika "waifufags". There are those who are just so quick to judge and go passive-aggressive because of that.

I'll refrain from using names here, but I've seen certain people who've taken any negativity towards Awakening as grounds for being an "elitist". And then there's the jokers who think that what they've read on TvTropes totally means that FE has a bunch of incest and all veteran fans are whiny hypocrites.

Then there's asshats who make comments such as "Take a shot for every Awakening fan who says it saved the series", and put out 35-second "opinion" videos that can be summarized as "This series is a fucking joke. Sorry not sorry. Wake me up again when FE has regained its fucking soul.", while going around in the comments saying "LOL at the dislikes" and "just speaking the truth".

Though neither of them may be as extreme as some, they're still basing their opinion of the "other side" of off negative stereotypes and stating their opinions very provocatively/passive-aggressively. Some people need to say "Okay, what is it you don't like about Awakening?" or "As long as you're not super pushy with you're beliefs, it's okay to dislike Awakening", while others need to either just shut up if they're going to be that melodramatic and prickly or put out semi-substantial, chill and thoughtful opinion videos.

I don't think of myself as having thin skin, but the arguments between the two far sides of the fandom is pretty grating.

Nah, this isn't a matter of having thin skin or not. Being around the fandom toxicity for too long makes it exhausting for everyone else. I know I'm guilty of being too negative myself at times, which is why I'm trying to keep that on SF for the most part.

Also, don't most people dislike Roy for being a bad unit and not so much his personality? I thought he was all right as a character. As a unit … well, I've only played half of FE6 so far and my Roy's actually pretty good haha.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Roy, and use him a lot in Smash Bros. (sure, he's not the best rep for the GBA era, but he's the only realistic one now)

Roy's plotwise the most prominent of the Elibe Lords, considering FE7's ending basically has Athos go on about his upcoming existence, he doesn't share his game with two other more minor lords, and Elibe got two games compared to Magvel's one. All in all I see no reason why he wouldn't be the most logical choice.

Also, don't most people dislike Roy for being a bad unit and not so much his personality? I thought he was all right as a character. As a unit … well, I've only played half of FE6 so far and my Roy's actually pretty good haha.

Roy is a pretty good unit for the first half the game, because there are a ton of Axe enemies and swords are very accurate. He falls flat near the midgame due to not promoting and FE6 enemies being (gasp) competent making him something of a liability. Then after 21(x) he gets very good promotion boosts and an incredible personal weapon letting him pull some weight during that portion of the game.

Overall it's that midgame segment that hurts

Edited by Glaceon Mage

The thing about Roy is, if you know how late his promo time is, you can easily plan around it and he's good thruout all but the 2 chapters before he promotes imo. This most likely isn't the case for Hard mode, but I wouldn't know as I have a personal rule against playing the highest difficulty of any FE game.

Anyway, on-topic:

For the most part, I don't "hate" characters; I dislike the way they're written, and direct that dislike towards the writers.

Pretty much my thoughts on the FE fandom. I also agree with your bottom two comments.

Edited by MCProductions

To all the people taking about the Fandom that is not a unpopular opinion it is a very popular opinion that ALL fandoms are horrible... Geez it's like people think it's some kind of revelation fanboys of anything suck...

When will people finally equate fanboys sucking with bears shitting in the woods, so we can all move on with our lives. Sorry, I like Undertale and I am so sick people going the fanbase suck so the game sucks... Of course the fanbase sucks all fanbases suck!

Y'all know about that obscure Link cameo in FE3/12? How cool would it be if he was an actual character and not just a generic unit that just happens to have the Master Sword?

Inb4 FE/LoZ crossover. Dubbed as Fire Emblem: Legends of Hyrule

I agree with this. Most of the FE characters dont have much to them outside of supports, and their gimmicks are pretty limited because of limited supports. Characters like Mia and Ilyana are hopelessly one dimensional, but you just dont see how one dimensional they are if you dont use them with other characters. Because fe13 has everyone supporting with everyone, you just see more repeats.

i want to agree with this but honestly

i feel like characters like that are mostly just in fe9 and 10

like ilyana was one of your examples and when i think of gimmicky fire emblems she's always the first one that sticks out to me aside from in fe13 and 14

i don't really want to say that almost all of them prior to fe13 and 14 are like that, since honestly I can't really think of too many aside from a few in fe9 (and 10 but most characters have like 4 lines there)

whereas in fe13 and 14, pretty much every child and a good amount of other characters have some gimmick

i feel like the bigger problem is less in the supports and more how they have more opportunities to throw in their obnoxious gimmick

like I love stahl he's one of my favorite characters but when you go to the barracks he says "I SURE AM HUNGRY" or "I'M SO HUNGRY I COULD EAT A PEGASUS"

and almost every single line gaius has outside of his supports relates to candy or sweets

seriously, i can't think of a single line he says outside of supports that doesn't have anything to do with those

maybe i just get easily annoyed but this got really annoying eventually

i feel like having less supports in addition to most unimportant to the story characters having very few lines led to them being less shallow

people hate both of those about him, actually

a lot of people think he's super boring and uninteresting

while most people who've played fe6 hate his terrible stats

Y'all know about that obscure Link cameo in FE3/12?

when did this happen

Edited by maybe

when did this happen

That generic Swordmaster in Chapter 11.

Anyway. . .complaints about the fandom are human problems, not Fire Emblem problems. Hating stuff is easy, and on the Internet, it's a lot easier to get away with being rude. What we're seeing are the true hearts of some of the people out there. . .and it's sad, to see so many hate-filled people. Like or hate any FE game, that's a personal call, and I don't think anyone deserves to be berated for their tastes!

like ilyana was one of your examples and when i think of gimmicky fire emblems she's always the first one that sticks out to me aside from in fe13 and 14

i don't really want to say that almost all of them prior to fe13 and 14 are like that, since honestly I can't really think of too many aside from a few in fe9 (and 10 but most characters have like 4 lines there)

whereas in fe13 and 14, pretty much every child and a good amount of other characters have some gimmick

i feel like the bigger problem is less in the supports and more how they have more opportunities to throw in their obnoxious gimmick

like I love stahl he's one of my favorite characters but when you go to the barracks he says "I SURE AM HUNGRY" or "I'M SO HUNGRY I COULD EAT A PEGASUS"

and almost every single line gaius has outside of his supports relates to candy or sweets

seriously, i can't think of a single line he says outside of supports that doesn't have anything to do with those

maybe i just get easily annoyed but this got really annoying eventually

i feel like having less supports in addition to most unimportant to the story characters having very few lines led to them being less shallow

people hate both of those about him, actually

a lot of people think he's super boring and uninteresting

while most people who've played fe6 hate his terrible stats

when did this happen

Exactly my feeling towards FE 13 characters, my other main problem is that so few of them have an apparent past, and I really hate joke characters, I hate them Lowen, Ilyana, and anyone like them (1/3 of awakening's cast) annoy me to no end (expections being Anna and Farina I do like greedy characters). Edited by Locke087

But Lucina doesn't have boobs

And either way I'm pretty sure Marth is more popular everywhere to begin with anyway.

Marth IS more popular everywhere. I dont even know how someone could think otherwise.

Anyway, on-topic:

There are those of us who try to get fandom to chillax, but they just wont listen. Or when you try to explain things, they get all goddamn huffy about it. I can respect someone who plays FE for story just fine. I expect to receive the same respect for simply wanting to have fun with my games. When i dont receive that respect, thats where i have a problem. Someone doesnt like the new style? Cool. Just dont call me filth for liking these games.

I also agree about Roy. I have no strong feelings about him either way, but wish Eliwood was the guy for the GBA reps.

I dunno. Lute was pretty gimmicky, even if she was charming af. I dont really recall any of her supports focusing on anything other than her aptitude for books and factoids. Serra's depth only really exists in her supports with Oswin. FE6's cast wasnt much to write home about when i really think about it. And then there was Lowen.

That generic Swordmaster in Chapter 11.

Anyway. . .complaints about the fandom are human problems, not Fire Emblem problems. Hating stuff is easy, and on the Internet, it's a lot easier to get away with being rude. What we're seeing are the true hearts of some of the people out there. . .and it's sad, to see so many hate-filled people. Like or hate any FE game, that's a personal call, and I don't think anyone deserves to be berated for their tastes!

The problem: People creating identity around the thing they consume. Its so prevalent in gamer culture, and causes a lot of this toxic behavior. When someone decides to actually become the face of the thing they love in such a manner, they feel the need to defend it or speak for it. It creates the "us vs them" and its terrible.

Y'know since the topic of Roy and "unpopular" lords came up:

I like Micaiah, and think it would be cool if Part 1 of FE10 was expanded and made into a full length game, then the rest was released as a third Tellius game with more balance between Ike and Micaiah, as by that point they'd both be established protagonists and thus less likely to get thunder stolen by the other.

I like Micaiah, and think it would be cool if Part 1 of FE10 was expanded and made into a full length game, then the rest was released as a third Tellius game with more balance between Ike and Micaiah, as by that point they'd both be established protagonists and thus less likely to get thunder stolen by the other.

You know what? I really dislike Micaiah but 100% agree with this, if only because I think part 1 is by far the best part of Radiant Dawn, specially gameplay wise.

I also agree about Roy. I have no strong feelings about him either way, but wish Eliwood was the guy for the GBA reps.

I dunno. Lute was pretty gimmicky, even if she was charming af. I dont really recall any of her supports focusing on anything other than her aptitude for books and factoids. Serra's depth only really exists in her supports with Oswin. FE6's cast wasnt much to write home about when i really think about it. And then there was Lowen.

well fe6's cast is boring bad and one dimensional but I don't know it feels like a different kind of one dimensional

like in fe13/14 a lot of the characters are super fleshed out... because they have a lot of dialogue. a lot of that dialogue is just them referencing their ridiculous gimmick

i'd say fe6 is definitely worse off, but I don't really feel like it's a valid comparison

lute is definitely gimmicky (still love her) but again, I feel like it's done differently there

so I guess that's a case where, again, it's more due to them having a lot of lines outside of supports

i'm sure if she had more outside of her supports, they'd probably all be obnoxious things about how great she is

i never got any of serra's supports other than oswin oops

i guess part of it is more due to me not having finished fe6 and 8, but I still feel like it's a different case

there are still lots of one dimensional and bad characters, but I feel like they focus less on random gimmicks

maybe i'm just really wrong but i felt like, despite there being much more characterization in fe13/14, i feel like they did a better job making characters less bad in fe7-9

i do agree on the part about roy and eliwood though but i might just be biased because i like eliwood more