Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Personally I liked the CBAS system. It allowed for a more complete story arc to be told about the characters relationship. It felt really cumbersome, however, when it came to the S supports and how they were almost always romantic marriage proposals which seemed to come out of largely nowhere. I would like to see it return to a more chapter-based system, however, though maybe that should apply unilaterally to ALL characters and not just the ones deployed. Then again that ruins the notion of the special and close-knit team.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Ilyana, I think she's pretty cool.

Most of the new characters in FE10 were pretty cool, despite limited development.

I think Tharja is a well written character for the most part.

I have a feeling that this thread deviated from the point the op had. I feel like people aren't coming in here to discuss why they feel the way they feel... it's more so some people defending the games they like from said negative and unpopular opinions.

Every few posts I see is defending or tearing apart Tellius.

Moving on, some of the opinions I see here aren't as unpopular as you people think.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I have a feeling that this thread deviated from the point the op had. I feel like people aren't coming in here to discuss why they feel the way they feel... it's more so some people defending the games they like from said negative and unpopular opinions.

Every few posts I see is defending or tearing apart Tellius.

Moving on, some of the opinions I see here aren't as unpopular as you people think.

I think such a derailment is quite expected when making a topic like this. Giving everyone an open platform to say something controversial will lead to controversy. In fact I'm surprised how relatively mild and mannerly things have been thus far. Plus Fire Emblem as a series naturally has a lot of conflicting opinions to begin with so finding out where the majority leans can be pretty difficult. Especially if what you usually hear is the silent minority.

Edited by Jotari

Well I am glad I found some people that were kiinnndaa CIvil towards this topic.... kinda... but I liked the idea of this topic, I mean sure some of the unpopular opinions arent very much like it but, at least its sometimes to good to talk with others abotu it, without trying to use "this game is crap" as an argument.... ok there were alot of those but compared to the rest of the forum and fanbse, it was rather civil,oh and I problaby said thsi before

Axes are my favorite weapons of FE

I hope Ballistas come back,with a little less range and still shoot Fireballs and Thunder.....

Oh and we need Ice spells... why ? Because I like ice magic in most Fantasy series

This, Awakening and Fates imo, have the best version of the support system mechanically speaking. Writing quality is obviously up to personal taste, but a large majority of my favorite supports in FE do come from Awakening so for me it works.

Awakening actually has the worst system mechanically. The problem being that supports are so ridiculously strong that you always end up stapling Robin and Robin's S-support together and just having them duo the entire game. There's almost no reason to ever do anything else. Even the total absence of a support system would have been preferable, because at least that wouldn't massively incentivize one strategy over everything.

Hey, I like the CBAS support thing! I just wish S support didn't always mean marriage. I mean, I like marriage, but the S support is still yet another conversation and that means more room for depth and development!

I think next time there should be some S supports that end in things other than marriage as well. For Example two characters, any gender is fine, talking about opening a tavern and what they would do throughout their supports, with the S support ending with "Hey after this war is over, lets open a Tavern together and call it ....." Stuff like that would be pretty interesting because it adds more to the characters.

I also think expanding upon the romantic S supports by adding an additional tier would be great. Have the S support mean they are committed in a relationship, instead of instantly marriage since a lot of the time it doesn't make sense because it is rushed. Then have S+ and SS support after that where it is the more romantic support that leads to them getting married. It would give way more time to develop their relationship, and fix the problem of the instant jump to marriage.

For some additional unpopular opinion. I really want a true Paladin class. Not the cavalier class on the horse, but the evil smiting, plate wearing, foot soldier that is all about hunting evil. Pretty much an armored knight with the ability to use light tomes.

I found the Soleil controversy really blown out of proportion. After watching some videos of the true translation from people who speak Japanese, and reading some articles I really think it was a bunch of misinformation. I would recommend watching Gaijin Hunter and Brihard's videos on the matter.

I don't like Marth at all. I find him to be a very boring character, with nothing interesting about him. I also hope we never return to his continent, and hope we are done with Falchion and the Marth family line.

Fire Emblem really reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons, and is why I am a fan of the series. It is why I want a Fire Emblem game that takes place in either Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance.

Edited by Tolvir

Axes my least favourite weapons to contrast x) And I dislike most Axe wielders on ground. So Pirates, Wyvern Riders and Great Knights can pass...

Though I don't know if it is popular.

I didn't care much for Seth Saleh, Joshua and Innes, but prefer Amelia, Lute, Marisa, And Neimi. In general, well I prefer babying my units rather than using strong ones. It feels good to complete a game having bad units becoming strong (unless RNG hates you) especially thoes super trainees or est archetype.

I also never use pre-promotes until mid to late game unless they are healers or thieves.

I didn't mind the execution of Robin, though more choices from the player would have been welcomed. He might be bland and normal, but that fits his background. (No memories, good for tactics, bad at the some other things, ... ) And so far (end of the prologue, so not that farà, I still like Kris... (but I feel the popular opinion of him being a Mary Sue is is slowly taking me to)

I like the idea of Marriage, but I dislike most of the S supports. Children were OK in FE13, Waiting for Fates, never played FE4.
EDIT :Yeah all the stuff about S supports not all leading to marriage. One of the things I dislike in Awakening was that you were able to support with anyone from the opposite genders, Most were awful, mediocre at best save a few.... I think I don't need mention S-Suport at this point. And you couldn't talk with some same gender units unless you are Robin or very lucky. For exemple, Ricken who looks up to Chrom coulnd't even talk with him basides being scolded in other supports. (though I dislike Ricken, but still). I would prefer having all supports but just with some people (I didn't play RD so I'm not sure if it is what you were all already implying) like the GBA without a strict limited 5 supports but with a few soldiers. SomeS Supportcould be Best Buddy, Model or like Lucina and Owain. Though If that much people agee, I don't see how it would be unpopular and even though I might seem bashful towards supports, it's one of the point they should improve, since it is one of the strong points of FE from what I know.

I'd love less loli and/or sexualised manakete and more mature old manakete who can be both wise and can tell us the ordeal of living long.

That's all I can think could be unpopular Though I'm not sure they are unpopuplar opinions.... However, from what I read, it seems almst nobody knows if their statement are popular or not.... I'm not sure if this topic was going anywhere from the beginning. Maybe should we define what's popular first. before saying what's unpopular so people stop saying "I like/hate this game" and fuel the debate for the sake of being bashful.

Edited by Luxian

I don't think most pre-Awakening characters are any less shallow, one-dimensional or gimmicky than Awakening characters. But Awakening is more in-your-face about that due to the number of supports.

I think you're right. It's basically the saying "less is more". I liked things more when characters were a bit of an enigma and they had the "hidden depth" of supports and such. It's just a matter of presentation, really. Awakening is easier to enjoy because it puts everything out there/at the surface, meaning people can appreciate most characters a lot easier than they would before. I can mention qualities about most Awakening characters for instance (not including the children because I avoid those), but I can't really do that for most say, GBAFE characters (the GBA games being some of my favorite for various reasons), because they don't have a ton of lines to start with, unless they're main characters or supporting characters that can get main-game dialog like Sain, Kent, Marcus, and Matthew.

(Random/not really related, but I did like how older games had dialog change based on who died due to permadeath. Just thought it was a neat thing/nice show of effort.)

Sain, Kent, Marcus, and Matthew.

One of these is not like the others.

Here's an unpopular opinion: Sain is a shit character only marginally better than the ladies man Alec from Genealogy. I'll go so far as to say I find Inigo more interesting. At least he has something more to him than just philandering. Sain has his one moment trying to tell off Marquess Araphen. And maybe the bits about Eagler. That's literally it.

Inigo has quite a bit more, both in some of his supports (Particularly the Father-Son one), harvest scramble with Owain and Future Past.

Awakening actually has the worst system mechanically. The problem being that supports are so ridiculously strong that you always end up stapling Robin and Robin's S-support together and just having them duo the entire game. There's almost no reason to ever do anything else. Even the total absence of a support system would have been preferable, because at least that wouldn't massively incentivize one strategy over everything.

No, the boosts are actually less than in the other games, which is compounded by the fact that you can only get boosts from one character at a time, Robin is just so broken that the nerfed/limited boosts feel larger than they actually are.

Here's an unpopular opinion: Sain is a shit character only marginally better than the ladies man Alec from Genealogy. I'll go so far as to say I find Inigo more interesting. At least he has something more to him than just philandering. Sain has his one moment trying to tell off Marquess Araphen. And maybe the bits about Eagler. That's literally it.

Inigo has quite a bit more, both in some of his supports (Particularly the Father-Son one), harvest scramble with Owain and Future Past.

i don't think this is unpopular at all

i've seen people talk about how bad sain's supports are on many occasions

Axes my least favourite weapons to contrast x) And I dislike most Axe wielders on ground. So Pirates, Wyvern Riders and Great Knights can pass...

Though I don't know if it is popular.

Oh my god I'm not the only one who has a burning hatred of axes.

You, sir, just gained cool points!

I liked how Inigo's was basically a coping mechanism, yeah.

Sain also has his support with Kent to show how nice their friendship is and what a good friend he really can be. He encourages Kent to go after Lyn's heart even though Sain obviously likes her too. He may be a philanderer, but I see a great guy and friend in him too! :(

Sain also has his support with Kent to show how nice their friendship is and what a good friend he really can be. He encourages Kent to go after Lyn's heart even though Sain obviously likes her too. He may be a philanderer, but I see a great guy and friend in him too! :(

That's literally his only good Support.

i agree with this

That's literally his only good Support.

but also with this

sain is pretty much a terrible person, aside from one support

i like him but he's a terrible person mostly

Oh yeah, Sain isnt very wonderful at all, and you arent alone in this opinion.

Heres one: I find the cavs in FE7 too much of a pain in the ass to use anymore, and just arent worth it. Marcus and Isadora work just fine.

Possibly unpopular: the womanising guy trope has never been very interesting in Fire Emblem; in fact, Inigo seems to be the first one to actually be an amazing character if supports show the whole story. Before Inigo the best one was... Saul? And it was really the novelty of him being a priest and using that to get laid lol. Sain and Gatrie particularly are cardboard cut-outs of actual humans and their whole thing gets boring quickly (Gatrie is a particularly good looking cut-out at least).

i agree with this

but also with this

sain is pretty much a terrible person, aside from one support

i like him but he's a terrible person mostly

How can you agree with both those posts when one is saying Sain is a great guy and then you say he's a terrible person?

I think his support with Fiora is great and his support with Louise is nice too. He refrains from philandering around Louise because she's married. If he was really a terrible person, I'd think he'd try to get her to cheat on Pent. And I don't think he'd encourage Kent. Fiora sees good in him after a while, come on... It takes awhile, but it happens.

It's fine to not like Sain, I'm just surprised to see anyone calling him a terrible person.

Possibly unpopular: the womanising guy trope has never been very interesting in Fire Emblem; in fact, Inigo seems to be the first one to actually be an amazing character if supports show the whole story. Before Inigo the best one was... Saul? And it was really the novelty of him being a priest and using that to get laid lol. Sain and Gatrie particularly are cardboard cut-outs of actual humans and their whole thing gets boring quickly (Gatrie is a particularly good looking cut-out at least).

Would Levin fall under that trope? It certainly seems to be his defining character trait until he gets Holsety but then it almost vanishes instantly and, understandably, becomes a lot more serious.

How can you agree with both those posts when one is saying Sain is a great guy and then you say he's a terrible person?

I think his support with Fiora is great and his support with Louise is nice too. He refrains from philandering around Louise because she's married. If he was really a terrible person, I'd think he'd try to get her to cheat on Pent. And I don't think he'd encourage Kent. Fiora sees good in him after a while, come on... It takes awhile, but it happens.

It's fine to not like Sain, I'm just surprised to see anyone calling him a terrible person.

well I meant more that I agreed just with the fact that his support with Kent makes him a better person

he's still a jerk in a lot of his supports (i think the one with rebecca is the absolute worse, although I might be thinking of someone else)

i find him really entertaining as a character honestly, but some of his supports are reeaally bad

the only reason I don't find him an outright jerk is because of his support with Kent since he's actually pretty nice there

i really like sain but at the same time i kinda really hate him

Would Levin fall under that trope? It certainly seems to be his defining character trait until he gets Holsety but then it almost vanishes instantly and, understandably, becomes a lot more serious.

i think with levin it was meant more as a means of keeping his super secret identity as the prince of silesia

i never found that exactly a defining character trait of his, despite the fact that it was slightly a trait of his for a little

i wouldn't call him a womanizing character

Edited by maybe

well I meant more that I agreed just with the fact that his support with Kent makes him a better person

he's still a jerk in a lot of his supports (i think the one with rebecca is the absolute worse, although I might be thinking of someone else)

i find him really entertaining as a character honestly, but some of his supports are reeaally bad

the only reason I don't find him an outright jerk is because of his support with Kent since he's actually pretty nice there

i really like sain but at the same time i kinda really hate him

Oh, I see now. I do agree that Sain's support with Rebecca is bad. Just...ew no.

Did you not meet Virion? Hes definitely a womanizer, but that guy has so much depth in his supports, its kinda nuts. He easily outshines Inigo in that regard.