Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Virion does have depth and all to him, I agree. It's just that he kinda takes womanizing a bit too far to me sometimes. I mean, he actually asks women he just met to marry him... Not even Sain ever did that. xP

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently I just have different tastes in supports or something, but I really liked Sain's and Rebecca's support.

I've also seen a lot hate shown towards F!Robin and Chrom's supports, and I enjoyed those.

idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but I ship Eliwood and Lyn.

I would've liked Chrom x female Robin more if the S support wasn't there. Otherwise, it's actually pretty hilarious and I like pretending the B support happened after Freddy married my Avatar just to picture a humorous scene where Fred is pissed at Chrom for seeing his wife naked... :P

But that is NOT how I would build up a romance at all. That's why I find it stupid. Also, Chrom is a dumb dork in that S support too. If that was me he was trying to propose to, I'd be like "dude...stop being embarrassing and weird."

Edited by Anacybele

i think with levin it was meant more as a means of keeping his super secret identity as the prince of silesia

i never found that exactly a defining character trait of his, despite the fact that it was slightly a trait of his for a little

i wouldn't call him a womanizing character

Yeaaaah, Lewyn never comes across as a womanizer to me. More of that can be chalked up to how the current translation patch portrays him.

Not to mention having him show up with Sylvia, who brings her own flavor to the table.

I would've liked Chrom x female Robin more if the S support wasn't there. Otherwise, it's actually pretty hilarious and I like pretending the B support happened after Freddy married my Avatar just to picture a humorous scene where Fred is pissed at Chrom for seeing his wife naked... :P

But that is NOT how I would build up a romance at all. That's why I find it stupid. Also, Chrom is a dumb dork in that S support too. If that was me he was trying to propose to, I'd be like "dude...stop being embarrassing and weird."

I agree it would of been better without the S support, but that's because I find all of the S supports barring M!Robin/Tiki and Lonqu/Cherche to be cringe worthy. That's why, even if I ship two characters, I personally don't count the S support as part of it when judging the convo.

I also agree that Lewyn doesn't count for the womanizer trope, as it's merely a means to an end.

Apparently I just have different tastes in supports or something, but I really liked Sain's and Rebecca's support.

why though

serious question

i thought it was fucking revolting, personally, so I'm just curious as to what you like about it

I agree on the Sain thing. When compared to the other womanizer characters like Joshua, Gatrie, Virion and Inigo (I cut Alec and Homer some slack due to Jugdral's lack of character development), the guy doesn't have much going for him, and I agree he's kinda terrible as a person in some of his Supports (I still can't believe Rebecca marries him after THAT A-Support).

Did you not meet Virion? Hes definitely a womanizer, but that guy has so much depth in his supports, its kinda nuts. He easily outshines Inigo in that regard.

I've read all Awakening supports to vicariously understand a game I'm STILL unable to play (damn the brazilian economic crisis smh), and while Virion certainly seems to be better than, well, Sain and Gatrie, he doesn't get anything as good as Inigo. Just Inigo/Lucina and Inigo/his father alone, you know? I want to get Awakening soon chiefly to experience Inigo and Tharja firsthand (and others but mainly those two).

I agree on the Sain thing. When compared to the other womanizer characters like Joshua, Gatrie, Virion and Inigo (I cut Alec and Homer some slack due to Jugdral's lack of character development), the guy doesn't have much going for him, and I agree he's kinda terrible as a person in some of his Supports (I still can't believe Rebecca marries him after THAT A-Support).

I thought Sain didn't have any paired endings.

Huh, I've only ever seen people say that Sain is a great unit statistically. He's never been bad for me either. In fact, he was always my best unit by a good margin because he could oneshot a lot of stuff after awhile, particularly if I give him a horseslayer or some other weapon that does bonus damage to some units.

EDIT: Uh, no, Sain can marry either Fiora or Rebecca. But Rebecca freaking just settles for him while Sain is repeatedly saying he really loves her. Like, I get that she's cautious because of how many other women he pays attention to, but I feel like that once he finds a woman that can fall for him/that he can stick with, he wouldn't just turn his back on her and keep flirting with other women. He just seems to have that sense of loyalty about him.

Admittedly, Fiora doesn't express a lot of love for him in their A support either, but she at least shows that she cares for him and sees that there is a good knight in him somewhere.

Edited by Anacybele

why though

serious question

i thought it was fucking revolting, personally, so I'm just curious as to what you like about it

Because their ending afterwards makes absolutely no sense in the context of the support, and I love that.

I'm in the middle of playing Shadow Dragon, and I've just arena-abused the heck of Chapter 18 for my new-ly joined Est. (After all, I wanted to give her a try when some of the folks here are so against babying.​) After spending over 40+ turns raising her level from 3 to Level 15, I'll have to say, she ain't any slouch. :smug: (At least way less painful than Sophia in Binding Blade.)

Edited by henrymidfields

I consider Genealogy of the Holy War (the 2 chapters I played of it) a really boring game. None of the characters interested me, I kept getting hit from 30% hit rates and the chapters are looooooooong. I get that the game is 12 chapters long but they could have made it in the original format that FE1 and 3. Yeah Gaiden had a different format, but that format worked with what the game presented. Needless to say, I can't finish this game and if I finished it and kept being this way, it would probably be my least favorite game in the series

Yeah, I can't stand the Black Knight because the game paints him as this oh so noble type of character that we're supposed to feel sorry for but in the end it's nothing like that. He definitely doesn't deserve the light the game paints for him.

I also really don't like how the game portrays Zelgius as this amazing man when he's basically lets Begnion order him around because of his "knight's honor" or whatever

While I'm here I might as well say I dislike both Sain and Gatrie (Sain's just a one-joke character who feels like he should acquire a fedora and Gatrie is just marginally better.)

I also really don't like Lute - she can't stop talking about how "superior" she is and she straight up tries to kill one of her own allies because she was insecure. There's only so much ego one character can have before it gets obnoxious.

Edited by FrostyFireMage

I also really don't like how the game portrays Zelgius as this amazing man when he's basically lets Begnion order him around because of his "knight's honor" or whatever

I recently started to develop a bit of a theory which actually improved my opinion on the Black Knight somewhat and which does involve that ''Knights honor'' that rings a bit hollow to some people.

I suspect the honorable Zelgius...may actually be a complete phony. Its not the Black knight which is the disguise of Zelgius but its Zelgius who is the disguise of the black knight. From his flashback its implied Zelgius already went under the guide of the black knight when under Gawain when Lehran says ''Is this why you always wear your armor, even when indoors?''. Its possible Zelgius only truly came to be once he was a soldier in Begnion.

The Black Knight and Zelgius both have different things tied to their identity. For the Black Knight its his way of the warrior lifestyle and his completely loyalty to Lehran. For Zelgius its his honor as a soldier and that he will avoid taking a life when the opportunity to do so presents itself.

The identity of the black knights seem to win every time a choice between these two has to be made. The Black knight clearly had the chance to spare the life of Greil as Zelgius claims he would chose to do but the Black Knight's need to prove himself as a warrior won out. Lehran states that was his ''personal'' agenda which furthers the thought that its the Black knight who is the true part of the identity.

Likewise the soldier Zelgius plays along with Valtome as his identity as a soldier demands of him but the moment Valtome insults the master of the black knight, Zelgius starts to strangle him and openly yells that he won't allow his master to be slandered. This is again a sign of the Black knight winning out over Zelgius because in a conversation with Levail he states following the orders of the state is all a soldier should do. Strangling his superior in favor of a self chosen master who does not have Begnion's best interest at heart rather goes against that

In the flashback Zelgius also states that his only regret in leaving Daein is not some sort of duty as Zelgius the soldier would have said. His regret is that he can no longer study the sword under gawain which is something BK the warrior would say.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

why though

serious question

What I like about Sain is that he doesn't get away with his antics. He gets called out a lot and it doesn't really work too well for him. Saul faces similar problems in FE6. I'd have been more disappointed if it were smooth sailing for him!

I actually enjoy Awakenings story. I just have a thing for time travel...deal with it lol.

I like how Radiant Dawn ended and wrapped up the Tellius Saga.

For that matter I generally don't have any big gripes with FE stories at all. I'm not that hard to please.

I recently started to develop a bit of a theory which actually improved my opinion on the Black Knight somewhat and which does involve that ''Knights honor'' that rings a bit hollow to some people.

I suspect the honorable Zelgius...may actually be a complete phony. Its not the Black knight which is the disguise of Zelgius but its Zelgius who is the disguise of the black knight. From his flashback its implied Zelgius already went under the guide of the black knight when under Gawain when Lehran says ''Is this why you always wear your armor, even when indoors?''. Its possible Zelgius only truly came to be once he was a soldier in Begnion.

The Black Knight and Zelgius both have different things tied to their identity. For the Black Knight its his way of the warrior lifestyle and his completely loyalty to Lehran. For Zelgius its his honor as a soldier and that he will avoid taking a life when the opportunity to do so presents itself.

The identity of the black knights seem to win every time a choice between these two has to be made. The Black knight clearly had the chance to spare the life of Greil as Zelgius claims he would chose to do but the Black Knight's need to prove himself as a warrior won out. Lehran states that was his ''personal'' agenda which furthers the thought that its the Black knight who is the true part of the identity.

Likewise the soldier Zelgius plays along with Valtome as his identity as a soldier demands of him but the moment Valtome insults the master of the black knight, Zelgius starts to strangle him and openly yells that he won't allow his master to be slandered. This is again a sign of the Black knight winning out over Zelgius because in a conversation with Levail he states following the orders of the state is all a soldier should do. Strangling his superior in favor of a self chosen master who does not have Begnion's best interest at heart rather goes against that

In the flashback Zelgius also states that his only regret in leaving Daein is not some sort of duty as Zelgius the soldier would have said. His regret is that he can no longer study the sword under gawain which is something BK the warrior would say.

He wasn't the Black Knight back then. He just wore normal armor to hide his slowed aging. It was Lehran who gave him the blessed armor and Alondite to begin with. It's also referenced how the Black Knight turned up in Daein seemingly out of nowhere and impressed Ashnard. His origins wouldn't have been as mysterious if he was already a part of their recent history before Ashnard. I'm also quite sure something in that flashback mentions him enjoying working in the military for some branded discrimination related reason.

Edited by Jotari