Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Lucina is better than Marth and the little ****s saying she should go and Marth should stay on the Smash Boards are doing so only because Marth was there first.

I know this thread is for unpopular opinions but don't you think Marth has more relevance to the series than Lucina? While I think she's a fine character, she only became popular because 1. she was the heroine of the game that revitalized the series and 2. she's literally fem-marth! lol

I don't think it does. In fact I think it supports it more. The Black Knight is basically telling Greil he's serious, that he won't hold back (and indeed he doesn't). He's not saying "I'm going to kill you." He's saying "Take this serious bro. Use the weapon triangle or you're finished". The Black Knight is clearly confused by Greil's behaviour. This is supported later with the main quote that gives me the impression he did it by accident.

"Three years ago, I caught up to my master. I challenged him to a duel, and was victorious. But, something was wrong… The fight had been too simple. My master… He had had severed all the tendons in his right hand, and swore never again to draw a blade. Can you imagine my joy when I found out this news? I knew that a swordsman of his stature couldn’t have been so easy to defeat!”

Though as I stated before, he would have been aware Greil's death is a possibility, I just don't think it was his actual goal. He wanted to defeat his master and nothing else. I'm trying to think of a parallel somewhere else in the series but as far as franchises go it doesn't tend to leave many characters alive after a fight (unless you're Awakening)

I agree with you on that his goal was to duel Greil but when you have a no-holds duel with bladed weapons, death isn't just a possibility, it's a probable outcome. You can say that BK wasn't specifically there to kill him but that doesn't mean his actions were short of murder. Besides, his other goal was to find the medallion so it's not like Greil and his family would be able to walk away from that encounter if they didn't hand it over.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Awakening's story is that bad. It's just nothing special compared to the other entries in the series. Also 7 is not the greatest game. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic. But me? I honestly think that Path of Radiance is far superior to 7. Finnaly I don't like Robin and Lucina. Aside from making a godly Morgan, I just don't think they are a great couple.

Ranulf spoiling the BK's identity is so stupid. The way it happens is just terribly written and executed, with absolutely no build-up, it's out of nowhere, and there isn't even a fancy cutscene to go with it. It's awful.

Yes, it's indeed realistic, but in a work of fiction, you need to choose what to show your audience and what not. And at that point in the game, and with the way it was done, it was definitely a bad idea to tell THE PLAYER the BK's identity.

Honestly, my problem with Ranulf spoiling the Black Knight's identity aside from that is that it makes the second "reveal" at endgame completely pointless

like, sure, I guess Micaiah and Sanaki don't know yet, but at that point both the player and Ike already know

It just feels like a wasted opportunity

Instead of having a "I should've known all along! It's you! Zelgius! Even though Ranulf already told me!" there could've been something completely different

Like, Zelgius could just greet Sanaki and Micaiah there, unmasked but in the Black Knight's armor

It'd be a much more interesting reveal, as well as one with an actual point, with the way the two sisters both have a sort of bond with the identity of his loyal to their respective nations, but not the other

Instead, we get a completely pointless scene where Ike has a sudden realization of something that both the player and he already know

it'd be like if yoda told luke that darth vader was his father, but there was still an "i am your father" scene

Edited by maybe

it'd be like if yoda told luke that darth vader was his father, but there was still an "i am your father" scene

Your father he is!

But yeah this would also take the tension away from when Luke challenges Obi Wan in RoTJ, of why he didn't tell him in the first place. So I think the RD reveal could have done better, maybe the full Japanese script handled that better? Considering RD's script is effectively cut in half in the West.

Edited by Jedi

- I don't think Awakening's story is that bad myself, considering how unbelievably stupid a lot of games get if you sit and look at them long enough. And I say that even for some of my favorite games. I've picked apart how dumb every game except for one or two can come off as immensely stupid if you dig for it. And not even for very long, a lot of the time.

- FE7 is by far the most disappointing game I've played. Not in Fire Emblem. In general. I don't know if I'd say it's The Worst Ever, but it's really bad and is about as engaging in its world, characters, and story as Gaiden. Which is really, really, really bad for a game that came out between Genealogy of the Holy War and Sacred Stones. It messed up on literally every note I think a Fire Emblem game can possibly mess up on, and as far as I'm concerned FE6 and FE7 could be erased from the series and nothing of value would be lost. In fact, it might be better that way; it almost put me off from Fire Emblem for good, and I'd hate for it to do the same thing to someone else.

- I like most things about FE12, especially the avatar. I think making an avatar that has a class picked by the player, isn't 100% at the center of the main story, and doesn't feel completely overpowered is a good thing.

- I really don't like branching promotions, and really like third tier linear promotions. The latter just feels more substantial and keeps a character in a niche that makes them feel more valuable in that niche.

- I think reclassing is really dumb and characters should just be made to function in their class, even if they function in a different way from others.

- Shadow Dragon doesn't have nearly enough horseback units.

Your father he is!

But yeah this would also take the tension away from when Luke challenges Obi Wan in RoTJ, of why he didn't tell him in the first place. So I think the RD reveal could have done better, maybe the full Japanese script handled that better? Considering RD's script is effectively cut in half in the West.

Well, looking at the "extended" scripts on SF, there doesn't seem to be anything much different about it. I mean, I know it's not a 100% translation of the Japanese script, but it doesn't seem to have anything substantially different. Kind of a shame, really

"The force is with you, young Skywalker... but you are not a Jedi yet..."

*lightsaber duel*

"hey you're my dad right?"

"yeah.... I am your father!"

Edited by maybe

Calling people masochists or saying their playstyle "violates the spirit" of Classic is judging them, imo.

If that counts as judging them, then it's certainly not a negative judgment (towards presumably most of them; see the gripe I mentioned). I just used the term "masochists" because I couldn't think of anything better.

I don't think the developers intended people to never reset when a unit died in Classic; individual units have faces/backstories/other things to make you attached to them, they can't be replenished except in FE11, and a non-permadeath mode didn't exist until FE12.

If you look at the FE10 interview (which I mentioned at least twice before), you'd see that the devs did want people to not reset so much. Quote:

Yamagami: I think that from the point of view of a more casual player, the Normal Mode is ‘Normal’ in difficulty. Even when I try out the Normal Mode, I still end up losing several of my characters. (laughs) However, even though you’ve lost all those characters, because the story is so interesting, you still want to keep on going to see what happens next. Obviously, if you manage to kill off your main character, you’ll get the Game Over screen, but as long as you manage to keep him/her alive, you can continue forward.
Of course, trying to keep everyone alive is one way to enjoy the game, but if you play the game on Normal, you can enjoy the game casually, making steady progress. Even if one of your characters ‘bites the dust’ it won’t be an obstacle to your progress. When someone playing a Fire Emblem game for the first time experiences their first character loss, that person may think ‘Wow, this game is really hard.’ I don’t think this is good. I don’t want Fire Emblem to be the kind of game in which you feel you have to restart every time you lose someone.
That is one of the reasons why the difficulty is set to a relatively easy level on Normal. Still, if you lose a lot of characters, the game will get pretty difficult towards the end. Therefore, whenever you lose a character, you should concentrate on making your remaining units stronger. We hope that the players will enjoy using this kind of strategy.

Pay special attention to the bolded part; it explains why the devs made the Normal Mode as easy as it was (there's also their confidence in the story, though that's another debate entirely). There's the proof they wanted you to keep on going, even when a character dies.

If there's a chance of losing, that means you'll have to restart the chapter, which defeats the purpose of playing Casual so you don't have to reset.

The purpose of Casual is not to reset because of losing a unit, not losing in general; it certainly doesn't invalidate Casual Mode. It just makes the game more enjoyable for people who prefer their SRPGs not to force permadeath on them.

Well it's not just pure empathy. Especially on a first play through. Having a character die means losing access to a resource and even worse, potential resources you could gain in the future. Like another characters or a base conversation item so keeping everyone alive appeals to the completionist in me.

I feel silly for forgetting that aspect of the permadeath system ^^; There certainly is also that. (Dunno why it happened, but your name didn't appear in the quote box here; sorry :( )

As far as I'm concerned FE6 and FE7 could be erased from the series and nothing of value would be lost. In fact, it might be better that way; it almost put me off from Fire Emblem for good, and I'd hate for it to do the same thing to someone else.

Wow just wow dude, I hate Shadow Dragon, it almost destroyed my love for series. But I would NEVER wish it out of existance, and oh if you love FE 8 so much just It would never exist if FE 6 & 7 didn't think about that. What a horrible attitude to have, don't wish for it to not exist. Remind me to never let you get a hold of Genie cause in your world my second favorite game of all time doesn't exist...

Edited by Locke087

Might as well add this

I think Roy's growths are fine as they are. He could have been entirely serviceable with nothing changed but his promo time.

...I still have no idea who at IS thought promoting four chapters from the end was a good idea.

Also I'm entirely ambivalent about Zelgius/the Black Knight. Right now it seems like the guy is love him or hate him but personally I don't care for him either way.

Edit: Also even if I hate FE13 I wouldn't erase it, it did save the series from never having another entry (and therefore no chance of coming back properly after 13)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

If you look at the FE10 interview (which I mentioned at least twice before), you'd see that the devs did want people to not reset so much. Quote:

Pay special attention to the bolded part; it explains why the devs made the Normal Mode as easy as it was (there's also their confidence in the story, though that's another debate entirely). There's the proof they wanted you to keep on going, even when a character dies.

You missed some key words.

"Of course, trying to keep everyone alive is one way to enjoy the game, but if you play the game on Normal, you can enjoy the game casually, making steady progress. Even if one of your characters ‘bites the dust’ it won’t be an obstacle to your progress. When someone playing a Fire Emblem game for the first time experiences their first character loss, that person may think ‘Wow, this game is really hard.’ I don’t think this is good. I don’t want Fire Emblem to be the kind of game in which you feel you have to restart every time you lose someone."

He didn't say "I don't want players to reset after a character death", he said "I don't want players to feel obligated to restart because the game will be too difficult to beat if a character dies." It's a matter of the mode's difficulty, not its intended play style. It's odd that you took away "the game should be played Ironman style in classic" when he was specifically talking about not making the game too punishing.

Edited by NekoKnight

Neko summed it up pretty well. He's talking about making Normal easy enough that newer players can still ironman it.

The purpose of Casual is not to reset because of losing a unit, not losing in general; it certainly doesn't invalidate Casual Mode. It just makes the game more enjoyable for people who prefer their SRPGs not to force permadeath on them.

Like I said before, people who want to play without permadeath entirely should play Casual, that is the whole point of the mode. The context of your original statement was people who are willing to play with permadeath, but don't play ironman.

What would this theoretically mid-ground between Casual and Phoenix be?

It'd probably be more of a mid-ground between Casual and Classic, but basically Classic with something similar to FE4's save function. If a character dies, you're given the option to go back to the start of the turn.

I think Roy's growths are fine as they are. He could have been entirely serviceable with nothing changed but his promo time.

Further point: I am fine with most Lords as units actually. People seem to complain so much about their stats as if they are supposed to be Seth or something. Yes, they are passable at best most of the times, but passable can still slay in any Fire Emblem outside of 5 and 10, so.

Edited by Axie

Come on, who wouldn't want to pet him?

ILCPM5h.png

Dat bara tho. Im all about it! B:

yeah, I was personally pretty disappointed when I found out how shallow the Black Knight's motivations were

like, it would've been cool if it actually mattered to his character, like choosing between loyalty to his master/country over his selfish pride or something like that

but instead the only thing it ever leads to is his own death, and not even in a way that makes it seem like it's related to that

This is the thing with me. Its why i think Sephiran is the better sympathetic villain in the long run. BK's motives are because hes just a self-absorbed tool box. He comes off as a real dumbass. Hes really menacing in PoR, but his motive reveal is a let down.

Ranulf spoiling the BK's identity is so stupid. The way it happens is just terribly written and executed, with absolutely no build-up, it's out of nowhere, and there isn't even a fancy cutscene to go with it. It's awful.

Yes, it's indeed realistic, but in a work of fiction, you need to choose what to show your audience and what not. And at that point in the game, and with the way it was done, it was definitely a bad idea to tell THE PLAYER the BK's identity.

Yeah this. This is how i feel and i hate that reveal. Ranulf figured it out, but him just up and saying so to Ike at this literal run-by exposition, is fucking D U M B.

Lucina is better than Marth and the little ****s saying she should go and Marth should stay on the Smash Boards are doing so only because Marth was there first.

There arent enough foam middle fingers in the world to express how B S this opinion is. Sorry, not sorry.

different opinion: Lucina and Marth are better than Ike, Roy, and Robin and I'd rather have either than anyone else from FE

Lucina is absolute perfection. Ike is a bad character. I'm fine with Roy and Robin. I'd rather the Smash FE roster have been Marth/Roy/Lucina/Robin with maybe Corrin and replace Ike with Squirtle.

The main reason why people like Lucina so much is so dudes can have fuck fantasies about Marth without it being gay.

what

Marth has a canon wife so people should get over that

As for Lucina, I love her design and bloodline because <3 Marth, I enjoy her personality and her world, I like her voice, and she turned out to be my best Awakening unit by far. She was totally amazing. I was really happy when she was confirmed for Smash. I like screamed or something.

what

Marth has a canon wife so people should get over that

this is not about shipping, he meant that straight guys secretly find marth attractive but can't accept the gayness of it, and then lucina came and looks like marth but is a girl

and i mean, marth IS cute as fuck, i think we can all agree on that

While we're on the topic of Lucina, I personally hate her because I think she has a bland personality, looks too much like Marth, and has an overall terrible design. I don't like her voice either, it just sounds boring to me a lot. I hope Laura Bailey doesn't voice anyone else in FE, except maybe minor characters, unless she improves.

I was upset to hear that she got her own character slot in Smash. Not that I think that she took someone else's slot or anything, but I think she would've been just fine as a Marth alt and that if Sakurai really wanted a fourth FE rep, it should've been someone better and more unique. I wouldn't have minded if it took a little more development time. Quality over quantity, you know. If the Smash roster had been just 45 characters instead of 50 at launch, I'd have been happy so long as they were all quality, non-clone characters.

Edited by Anacybele

That's a pretty poor attitude. Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina have living breathing fans. It's not very nice for you to just say they should just be alts just because they aren't unique. Ever stopped to think about Alph? 90% of people forget he exists because he's in literally that exact situation. I'd rather have people be happy and to have a larger roster (including Alph) than to have some people be without.

But seriously, you're argument doesn't work because Alph proves that alts get awful treatment. He's barely his own entity and doesn't even have voice clips. And he's a character who has a voice actor. It's so bad that he doesn't even have his own Palutena's Guidance. I love Pikmin and still forget because of his horrible status.

No, you're just butthurt every time someone disagrees with you. I'm not arguing anything, I'm merely stating an opinion. I'm tired of you doing this every time someone states an opinion you don't like. Please stop.

Also, I don't see how quality over quantity is a poor attitude. And for the record, I fucking love Dark Pit as a character. But I'm still admitting that I think he doesn't belong in the roster if he can't not be a clone. And to me, being an alt is better than not being in the game at all. I'm a Daisy fan and I at least wanted her as a Peach alt. But she's still a fucking PALETTE instead while the Koopalings got their own models! I was pretty pissed at this.

EDIT: What Fire Emblem Fan said.

Edited by Anacybele

No, you're just butthurt every time someone disagrees with you. I'm not arguing anything, I'm merely stating an opinion. I'm tired of you doing this every time someone states an opinion you don't like. Please stop.

Also, I don't see how quality over quantity is a poor attitude. And for the record, I fucking love Dark Pit as a character. But I'm still admitting that I think he doesn't belong in the roster if he can't not be a clone.

EDIT: What Fire Emblem Fan said.

Yes, but you didn't address Alph. I'm not seeing how anyone would wish that on anything. Did you even remember Alph was *technically* on the roster? This is an actual question because I didn't. Not to mention that Marth and Lucina both would have lost 4 colors each. That's really poor treatment.