Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna open this with "I love Roy" but like half a dozen people already did it so how unpopular is it really? I do love pretty much everything about FE6 though so that's a bit unpopular.

Now for something really unpopular: I don't mind the Avatar in FE12 and in fact I think he was overall a positive addition to the game because I love the assassins subplot and don't think he was that annoying in the main story at all even if I could have done without some of the line-stealing. Tears?

I am aware that many people enjoy different aspects of FE8 but it seems unpopular to enjoy it without reservations; I was turned off of it at first because it's too easy, but now I think that if it was just a bit harder it would have been the perfect Fire Emblem game for me, and I wish it was more universally loved.

FE4 Gen 2 is absolutely better than FE4 Gen 1 and it baffles me that Gen 1 has always been the most loved of the two.

I find Bride to be a cooler class than Dread Fighter.

Sacred Stones is my favorite of the GBA games and Lyon is the best villain in Fire Emblem history (possibly barring Fates villains, I haven't played that yet).

I despise random growth rates and think growths should be fixed.

I found Lunatic+ to be fun.

Edited by Alastor15243

Oh wait, I just thought of one more thing I could add. The bloodpact in RD was actually a genius idea. I always see everyone else bash it. First time I played through RD, I was like,"Whoaaa... That's amazing right there! Creepy and cruel, but amazing!"

I don't think Roy is unpopular, he's not the MOST popular, but he's not unpopular, so I wouldn't say that liking him is an unpopular thought.

I don't like Kita's art in FE9/10 except for her adult characters (she really has gigantic eye syndrome on her younger characters).

Oh wait, I just thought of one more thing I could add. The bloodpact in RD was actually a genius idea. I always see everyone else bash it. First time I played through RD, I was like,"Whoaaa... That's amazing right there! Creepy and cruel, but amazing!"

Wheter it was a genius idea or not matters not if the execution of said idea is just a stupid asspull to force characters to fight each other.

Kaga's games were not the second coming of Christ.

fe1-3 are usually not considered great, let alone good

Not many have played it, but FE2 seems to be nearly unanimously like among the few who have; it's my least favorite in the series.

Not that I have any sort of animosity towards it.

the thing is that's probably more because the few who have played through it are the few who have had the patience to play the whole game

a lot of people don't like it and/or think it's pretty bad and slow and has really bad mechanics

FE4 Gen 2 is absolutely better than FE4 Gen 1 and it baffles me that Gen 1 has always been the most loved of the two.

i want to agree with this, because I really do prefer gen 2 in almost every way (the story, characters, gameplay, music, and general tone), but its story is really not as complex or... good as gen 1

there are some really interesting parts but probably the only genuinely really good part out of gen 2 is the thracia arc, which is like 1.5 chapters

the rest is just sort of generic and doesn't have much of a story other than "make jugdral less shitty again"

there are some really great parts like the confrontation with alvis but they don't really do much with parts like that

i prefer gen 2 to gen 1, but i'd say it makes sense that gen 1 is more loved

Corrin is my favorite main character and is great fun.

Male Corrin is better than Female Corrin and Corrin is a way better name than Kamui.

My next favorite MC is Marth.

Archanea has some really good characters, second only to Fates.

Fates hate is overdone.

I hate Ike, Hector and Lyn immensely. Hector and Ike are inferior Sigurds with no actual consequences after the beginning of their games.

The GBA games are bland and don't have very many redeeming qualities.

FE3 is pretty amazing and one of my favorite games in the series.

Kozaki is the best artist in the series.

I love marriage.

I love children, but they obviously need a rest for a little while.

Gaiden should get a remake before Elibe or Jugdral.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

I liked the idea and how it showed Pelleas's innocent and trusting nature, but it really needed some more explanation.

More stuff:

I'm not a fan of Lyn or Hector.

Tharja is the single worst FE character ever and everything related to her should burn in a thousand hellfires because I hate everything about her. Sayella (or whatever her FE14 expy is named) can also die. Not sure how unpopular this would be but yeah.

Skinship should be replaced with adorable kittens and puppies following you onto the battlefield, causing your enemies to surrender because they cannot stand having to face enemies with such adorable little friends tailing them

"Byakuya" and "Anya" names give more meaning in the Kanji and pronunciation in Japaneae about their status as countries than "Hoshido" or "Nohr" ever could.

Fire Emblem's voice acting, while improving in English since the disaster that was FE9 and FE10, best conveys all the characters in Japanese, without subs to distract you. Especially when playing the "Fantasy Japan" route in FE14.

They should have included the broadcast voices from BSFE as DLC for FE12.

Rufurufu and Kamukamu are superior to Chrobin, Lucina x Robin, and Kamui x Aqua.

Edited by shadowofchaos

i want to agree with this, because I really do prefer gen 2 in almost every way (the story, characters, gameplay, music, and general tone), but its story is really not as complex or... good as gen 1

there are some really interesting parts but probably the only genuinely really good part out of gen 2 is the thracia arc, which is like 1.5 chapters

the rest is just sort of generic and doesn't have much of a story other than "make jugdral less shitty again"

there are some really great parts like the confrontation with alvis but they don't really do much with parts like that

i prefer gen 2 to gen 1, but i'd say it makes sense that gen 1 is more loved

I actually think Gen 2 is better than Gen 1 in every aspect of the story, too. Gen 1 just feels like a particularly long prologue to the actual plot-relevant confrontations of Chapter 5. Sigurd spends fully 4 of his 6 chapters being played like a puppet while the story-relevant politics happen off-screen, and the things that do happen on the actual game are not even executed to their full potential (Eldigan deserved more, for example).

Gen 2 is much more dynamic and puts Seliph in actual confrontation with the opposition from the get go. The Thracia arc is pretty good and we get to actually see the shitty state of Jugdral under Alvis' rule; Alvis himself is also complex and interesting, and so are most of the characters in the antagonist side (except Manfroy who sucks and would be the worst FE villain if not for Beld, who is his minion anyway), certainly more so than the cardboard antagonists of Gen 1. Gen 2 is a lot simpler in concept, but a lot better in execution, which is what matters.

I liked the idea and how it showed Pelleas's innocent and trusting nature, but it really needed some more explanation.

I agree with this, it just seemed to me like everyone else just hated the idea in general. I mean, I liked it for several reasons:

1. Like I said before, it's just an amazing, though creepy and cruel, idea.

2. It showed Pelleas's flaws, like you just said.

3. It added more depth to Naesala and explained all his wtf behavior. It showed that he isn't just a bastard like he seemed to be, he was doing all he could to keep his people safe, even if it meant doing some insane shit, like betraying his old friends. It made him a powerful leader for his people and even badass.

4. It pulled the element of surprise on me for Daein. I expected RD to just go into more depth on the disease that killed Ashnard's family, but then it turns out it wasn't a disease at all!

Edited by Anacybele

I agree with this, it just seemed to me like everyone else just hated the idea in general. I mean, I liked it for several reasons:

1. Like I said before, it's just an amazing, though creepy and cruel, idea.

2. It showed Pelleas's flaws, like you just said.

3. It added more depth to Naesala and explained all his wtf behavior. It showed that he isn't just a bastard like he seemed to be, he was doing all he could to keep his people safe, even if it meant doing some insane shit, like going against his old friends. It made him a powerful leader for his people and even badass.

Yeah, I agree on all points. Frankly I thought it was pretty interesting all told, though it was waaaaaaaaay too poorly defined and vague to the point that the only thing that kept them from finding a loophole in how it works was total crushing paranoia that they'd accidentally trigger a genocidal plague. ...Though admittedly that is kinda compelling in its own way, but I would've liked more clear rules (not mechanisms, it's magic after all, but rules) for how the hell it works.

I hate the avatar and marriage

I liked part 4 of RD

I prefer to play on the easier modes even though I'm fully capable of playing on harder ones because it's more relaxing

I dislike Hector/Lyn

I find the Hoshidan siblings more interesting than the Nohrian siblings

I enjoyed playing FE6 (or at least the first 11 or so chapters that I was able to get through) more than playing Awakening

Alastor: Yeah, that's the only real issue I had with it. I'd have liked to learn all that!

EDIT: Liking the Hoshido siblings more than the Nohrian ones is unpopular? Well, that's another one for me then.

Edited by Anacybele

There's never truly been a bad game in the series outside of arguably the first one.

I prefer Leen over Laylea, Charisma be damned.

Kris is worse than Corrin, who is worse than Robin.

I love bows and bow-users beyond all human reason, but can only ever justify using one per playthrough.

Mystery of the Emblem's Manakete mechanics were the best in the series.

The only complaint about the Fates localization I've seen that's 100% legitimate is about Malig Knight.

Edited by epilepsyduck

I too like Roy as a character but more on what I want to say.

This bolded part sounds interesting! Do you have a formula in mind? Or is it just a conceptual idea

I've thought of a few ways to allow defence to still scale. One way is characters to gain +def skills as they level (like how class skills work in the newer games), or include shields / a larger variety of weapons that give +def. No specific formulas yet, it would depend on how high strength growths are, and how weapon progression works.

I think FE 4 is the most overrated game in the series, especially the story and characters of gen 1, and that many (not all) fans give it a pass mainly for two reasons:

1. Wtf you die halfway through the game? That's crazy!!!

2. Eugenics (first and thus best game to do them)

I type this as a fan of many things that are not as good as I think they are, so please don't hate.