Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Tiki is my favorite FE character OVERALL (both her young and adult forms).

-And I'd prefer her with smaller breasts. :P

-I enjoyed Awakening and I'm interested in Fates, but I don't really care much (I'm not saying I hate (save for the controversial skinshipping feature), I'm saying I don't care, aka I have no interest in involving myself) for the waifu stuff and "body-related" fanservice. Pairing my units up and putting them in supports is sweet, but the main focus to me is still the strategy RPG part.

Edited by DarkGold777

- I think that supports should be much more like FE10 - universal, and with generic lines. Not because of my own minimalistic tendencies, but because I think the depth of writing is lost on the majority of the fanbase. Why do I think that? Go look at how people view Tharja - that's all the proof I need. Use the extra time to truly balance mounts or something.

I don't think it would go well if IS said "FE15 won't have long support conversations because most of you don't get them; deal". Getting to know characters and forming your own interpretation of them is part of the Fire Emblem fun for so many people (myself included). Maybe they can make more in-depth interpretations of what they're reading, maybe they can't, or maybe they can and just disagree with yours (I haven't played Awakening but people sure can't stop talking about how much they love or hate Tharja so clearly there is not a unanimous view of her going on). Either way there is no need to take fun away from people. It's like not including Jeigans anymore because the majority of the fanbase still hates them for stealing experience.

I think this is pretty much all the popular opinions...

Not on this forum...

I say I like FE 7's story I get dog piled...

Some people say Awakening story is its problem I say it's not that bad (well at least the first arc).

it's just its hyper flat characters that annoy me.

Also most seem hate Archers and Knights.

Also it most here seem to think that fire emblem story are universally trash....

But ya other then that I fall under the definition of a "generic old school fire emblem fan." I just don't that many controversial opinions. Though this is mostly because I am generally an easy going guy.

Edit: Also I know hating Shadow Dragon is not a controversial opinion I just like to take every opportunity to express my disdain for that game.

Edited by Locke087

I find that Base Conversations, while great, can only do so much by themselves in terms of characterization, particularly when there's only 3-5 per chapter tops, not every character has the same amount of base conversations, and only a few base conversations really add to the characterization anyway.

I felt that FE9's story and characterization was far better than FE10's

There is no shame in playing Casual Mode

I don't hate Yarne as much as other people do. In fact, I actually don't mind a lot of the gimmicky characters of Awakening or Fates because they at least have something to remember them by, for better or for worse.

I actually don't mind the waifu mechanics in the later games. Mainly because I don't take the whole "waifu" thing seriously

Edited by Bullwine85

-Tiki is my favorite FE character OVERALL (both her young and adult forms).

I find that Base Conversations, while great, can only do so much by themselves in terms of characterization, particularly when there's only 3-5 per chapter tops, not every character has the same amount of base conversations, and only a few base conversations really add to the characterization anyway.

I don't hate Yarne as much as other people do. In fact, I actually don't mind a lot of the gimmicky characters of Awakening or Fates because they at least have something to remember them by, for better or for worse.

I wasn't aware these were unpopular opinions, but I hold all of these so yeah.

I actually prefer the majority of Awakening's characters to older games in the series, except Tharja, because while she has a talent for bringing out backstory in supports, which I adore, she still creeps me out too much to like her on her own merits.

I actually do not care about the story of any FE game (or any game in general except for few) I just like getting the main idea of the plot and then skipping everything else. Gameplay>>>story to me. Even with that being said, I still think Awakening's plot in general was so lacking. Edit: I think this doesn't count as unpopular here. Lemme see, I think Awakening was very awesome gameplay-wise and I loved it.

I liked Radiant Dawn hella lot more than PoR

I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I'm glad the petting feature is removed in Fates. I just honestly feel it's very stupid and FE doesn't need these fanservice/silly features to sell.

I honestly don't mind the MU system right now but I think they should get rid of it. And I actually like the fact that we don't get to control him story-wise so I don't have to do choices and stuff like that.

Edited by BeMine96

Edit: Also I know hating Shadow Dragon is not a controversial opinion I just like to take every opportunity to express my disdain for that game.

I totally agree; that game rivals FE2 in its suckiness. At least it introduced "Lunatic" style difficulty to the series (don't know if that is a good thing or not)

Edited by ruadath

i don't think any of these three are unpopular

especially the second one, since FE10 has no support conversations and has some really bad plot elements (like the blood pact)

Edited by maybe

I prefer Shadow Dragon over the other games in the series I've played (all localized handheld titles).

Why? Because of it's minimalism and wide variety of difficulties.

It's what got me into the series. At it's core, it's simple, but it put up a good fight and I still enjoy it after playing the other games in the series. And I'll put this out now: I prefer "no story" over stories that are poorly done, and "faceless" units that you grow to like purely from using them on the battlefield over those who'll get some development if you cluster them together and waste your time idling (GBA) or those designed primarily to be marriage fodder (3DS).

Yes, people can go into a flaming fit about the Gaiden chapters, but I don't really care. If you care so much about the series principles, then direct your energy towards the "present danger"; Shadow Dragon is what it is. It's a straight-and-true remake of the first game in the series; it's unique as, in a way, it's a game out of it's time. The last game of the old style was also the first.

Okay, that was probably a tad overdone, but I hope people can understand some of the passion I have for this game, and why it bothers me to no end when people talk about it like it single-handedly brought about the series' downfall. For reference, despite numbers still being vague, it's sold over half a million units; the commercial failure of the Radiant Duelogy can be blamed almost entirely for the series' "downfall".

Edited by The DanMan

My favorite FE game is Awakening.... and I enjoyed most things it did to the series..... *hides from the 'veteran' Fe fanboys*

Does it count as unpopular though? Cuz I think a lot of people like it -including me, I think it was awesome. My 2nd fave FE game-

My favorite FE game is Awakening.... and I enjoyed most things it did to the series..... *hides from the 'veteran' Fe fanboys*

please don't be that guy

And I'll put this out now: I prefer "no story" over stories that are poorly done, and "faceless" units that you grow to like purely from using them on the battlefield.

while it seems like the second part of that sentence wasn't finished (prefer them to what?), I actually agree on the first part

i'm not gonna say shadow dragon has "no story" because that's not really true, but yeah, its story is incredibly minimalistic

however, I prefer its story and writing to pretty much every other fire emblem I've played, due to the fact that it's actually told pretty well

my only real problem with it is how it focuses on just one character

aside from that, I really like the writing and how well developed Marth's character is

while it disappoints me that he's pretty much the only character who is consistently important to the story, I feel like that's also pretty nice in a way, since it leads to more focus on his character, rather than focusing on multiple uninteresting protagonists

while the overall plot isn't original in the slightest, I just feel like the writing is one of the few in the series that doesn't get convoluted and bad at any point

tl;dr i like shadow dragon's story because it being unoriginal means less stupid plot devices and having only one important character means less shitty characters

Edited by maybe

If they did Gaiden's properly in Shadow Dragon then we could have had some focus on the other characters. I can forgive Hardin having no role in the original game and even the SNES remake because they were old and/or didn't know the character's future. But not having him appear more in Shadow Dragon when his future was so clearly established just felt like wasted opportunity to me. Instead of introducing a bunch of new characters gained by killing off half your army, Shadow Dragon should have had Gaidens that further explore the characters already in your army.

What if the time spent trying to figure out how to beat a map without anyone dying and the emotional turmoil are exactly what they're looking for though?

Then they're the masochists I mentioned that I didn't say should play Casual Mode. Oh, and for clarification, I define "masochist" in this context as someone who simply prefers to play on permadeath, Casual Mode option or no.

If there's nothing at stake, how can there be any satisfaction in victory? If you play Casual Mode in order to save time, you might as well watch an LP instead of playing it to save even more time.

Even without permadeath, there IS something at stake; losing. Just because you don't lose a unit permanently doesn't mean you cant get a game over due to bad tactics. Even if you want a challenge, it changes nothing; just play on a harder mode if you're not the kind of masochist I mentioned. If you prefer the extra challenge permadeath provides, fine; just don't say that there can't be any real challenge in Casual Mode.

it's true that when I first played fire emblem I did reset when a character died out of a panic that I would need the character later; however by now I just reset because the challenge of keeping everyone alive is a necessary part of the experience for me lol. it's why I never do casual mode.

If that's simply your preferred way to play Fire Emblem (Casual option or no), fine. I won't (and shouldn't) judge you for that. My biggest issue in regards to all this is how condescending some of the "masochists" are towards Casual Mode and those who play it, as if Fire Emblem was explicitly meant to be that sort of heartbreaker (which it wasn't; see the FE10 interview).

I agree with this in principal but in practise, not so much.

I know; people (me included) can be very attached to things that look human enough, making it very hard to resist the urge to reset.

Regarding phoenix mode, I see it as that choice for those who would prefer to enjoy the story than play the game (perhaps for those who arent that into SRPGs). Not a bad mode, but certainly the one you'd choose if you wanted to near-trivialize the challenge.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

I know; people (me included) can be very attached to things that look human enough, making it very hard to resist the urge to reset.

Well it's not just pure empathy. Especially on a first play through. Having a character die means losing access to a resource and even worse, potential resources you could gain in the future. Like another characters or a base conversation item so keeping everyone alive appeals to the completionist in me.

Edited by Jotari

I wasn't aware these were unpopular opinions, but I hold all of these so yeah.

I actually prefer the majority of Awakening's characters to older games in the series, except Tharja, because while she has a talent for bringing out backstory in supports, which I adore, she still creeps me out too much to like her on her own merits.

Tiki's my favorite FE character overall. Like, 1st on my list among everybody, including lords.

Tiki's my favorite FE character overall. Like, 1st on my list among everybody, including lords.

I'm in that club too and I can think of at least two other users with names based around Tiki so I don't think it's an altogether unpopular opinion.

Same, The fact she's in SMTxFE is literally the ONLY reason I'm getting that game, and heck, my female Avatar in Fates is going to be Tiki

Edited by MCProductions

I like Shadow Dragons minimalist approach, theres just enough there for you yourself to fill in the blanks, and the gameplay works fine.

What plot there is, is written incredibly well, and 12 semi continued the tradition although Kris hampered it, and I think the 2 games have some of the best gameplay in the series aside from 5 and 10

Edited by Jedi

I was actually going to post "I like Roy," but he doesn't seem to be as unpopular as I had originally thought.

I don't think watching an LP is quite the same as playing casual mode; I mean casual mode doesn't have the same risks as the permadeath option, but I still think the game's worth playing despite that. You can still lose the map if all your characters die, so you still have to think of some strategy and have your characters strong enough. But that's me.

Seth, Pent and Haar get too much love.

I like having children characters.

The Fates hate bandwagon is unwarranted.

FE6 isn't as bad as it's cracked up to be.

FE5 is poorly designed and a chore to play.

Eirika is a good character.

Hector is a bad character who never faces consequences for his irresponsibility.

Even without permadeath, there IS something at stake; losing. Just because you don't lose a unit permanently doesn't mean you cant get a game over due to bad tactics. Even if you want a challenge, it changes nothing; just play on a harder mode if you're not the kind of masochist I mentioned.

If there's a chance of losing, that means you'll have to restart the chapter, which defeats the purpose of playing Casual so you don't have to reset.

If that's simply your preferred way to play Fire Emblem (Casual option or no), fine. I won't (and shouldn't) judge you for that.

Calling people masochists or saying their playstyle "violates the spirit" of Classic is judging them, imo.

I don't think the developers intended people to never reset when a unit died in Classic; individual units have faces/backstories/other things to make you attached to them, they can't be replenished except in FE11, and a non-permadeath mode didn't exist until FE12.