Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Hector is a bad character who never faces consequences for his irresponsibility.

You are perfectly within your rights to think Hector is a bad character, but he does face the consequences of his actions many times over. Spoilers for FE 6 & 7

Ahem A). Hector thoughout the story is constantly distrusted. B). In fact this distrust stretchs far enough that both Matthew and Oswin are informed about Uther's deteriating state and his eventually death and they are told not to tell Hector... Let me repeat that Hectors actions led to him to not being privy to his own brother death... Let that sink in... C). And to top it off by taking Armadas (however you spell it), Hector eventually suffered a violent death by the hands of Zephiel the ultimate punishment for his recklessness.

Edited by Locke087

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaga's games were not the second coming of Christ.

Anghfg this right here. Cheers. I actually dislike most of Kaga's games. My favorites are all post-Kaga

FE13 is a good game and doesn't deserve the majority of the crap it gets.

This too.

Tharja is the single worst FE character ever and everything related to her should burn in a thousand hellfires because I hate everything about her. Sayella (or whatever her FE14 expy is named) can also die. Not sure how unpopular this would be but yeah

This is also not an unpopular opinion. Which is really sad....

I prefer to play on the easier modes even though I'm fully capable of playing on harder ones because it's more relaxing

I dislike Hector/Lyn

I have these opinions.

- I think that supports should be much more like FE10 - universal, and with generic lines. Not because of my own minimalistic tendencies, but because I think the depth of writing is lost on the majority of the fanbase. Why do I think that? Go look at how people view Tharja - that's all the proof I need. Use the extra time to truly balance mounts or something.

Bolded, wow owned <3

I like Casual mode.

I like the Avatar, but i dont like the story being all about them. i want Avatar to be more like fe7 Avatar, but playable.

I like pairing my guys.

Im not arsed about how Fates explains the kids.

I actually dont mind too much the current direction of the series. (some things ARE a bit overboard, but the actual mechanics and stuff, sock it to me!)

I cant care too much about story in FE, if the gameplay is hella freaking good.

The Fates hate bandwagon is unwarranted.

H O L Y

S H I T

Y E S

I dont give a snot about Phoenix Mode being there. (but i feel like it wont come back)

I think Tellius has the best plot in the series, not FE4. (fe4 plot is good tho)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Anghfg this right here. Cheers. I actually dislike most of Kaga's games. My favorites are all post-Kaga

I like Casual mode.

I like the Avatar, but i dont like the story being all about them. i want Avatar to be more like fe7 Avatar, but playable.

I like pairing my guys.

Im not arsed about how Fates explains the kids.

I actually dont mind too much the current direction of the series. (some things ARE a bit overboard, but the actual mechanics and stuff, sock it to me!)

I cant care too much about story in FE, if the gameplay is hella freaking good.

H O L Y

S H I T

Y E S

I dont give a snot about Phoenix Mode being there. (but i feel like it wont come back)

Amen brother

I honestly think the reason for the VERY unwarranted Fates hate bandwagon is Sonic/Zelda syndrome. ie. Hate on the new game cause it's different EVERY DAMN TIME a new game releases, and suddenly start praising a older game that got bashed when it released.

Hector and Ephraim are the worst written lords.

FE5 is a horrendously designed game.

FE10s writing isn't that bad.

Fates hate train is too unwarranted.

The story in FE games isn't really that great regardless.

I have a few more.

I love the avatar units over the lords. I feel more invested in it than the others because I get to create the character I want. That and to be honest they act no different than someone like Marth or Roy.

I actually like Tharja, and thought that she had some of the best supports in the game. I also don't find her design that ridiculous since her class is along the lines of a necromancer, warlock, or blood mage which has always had the more skimpier clothes regardless of gender due to what they do and how they cast. Its what I would expect out of a dark mage type class tbh regardless of gender. (casting through markings, tattoos, runes, etc.) That and I don't see her as fanservice because she was never really sexualized to that point, and don't recall a point where she ever was.

I love the current art style, it feels more lively and characters look different. Some of the older games art styles were pretty ugly and a lot of the characters looked really similar.

I have a few more.

I love the avatar units over the lords. I feel more invested in it than the others because I get to create the character I want. That and to be honest they act no different than someone like Marth or Roy.

I actually like Tharja, and thought that she had some of the best supports in the game. I also don't find her design that ridiculous since her class is along the lines of a necromancer, warlock, or blood mage which has always had the more skimpier clothes regardless of gender due to what they do and how they cast. Its what I would expect out of a dark mage type class tbh regardless of gender. (casting through markings, tattoos, runes, etc.) That and I don't see her as fanservice because she was never really sexualized to that point, and don't recall a point where she ever was.

I love the current art style, it feels more lively and characters look different. Some of the older games art styles were pretty ugly and a lot of the characters looked really similar.

I agree with most of this. While I don't like Tharja, I do agree she has some of the best supports in Awakening.

This thread has made me realize exactly HOW MUCH I disagree with the majority of the Fanbase

I like FE2 and I don't know why; It's tedious, slow as fuck and clunky

Maybe because of how retro it is, IDK

Also, if there's anything I noticed in Kaga's games, is that he has nice ideas, but sometimes they're executed horrendously

FE5 is probably the best example, with artificial bullshit difficulty like Fatigue and the game pretty much forcing you to use a guide to even survive through the first fucking chapters

And to add on that, IMO, some of the dullest and most tedious maps have come straight out of Kaga's games (Like this one)

This thread has made me realize exactly HOW MUCH I disagree with the majority of the Fanbase

Actually this site is a minority the majority's opinion is that every Fire Emblem besides Awakening is irrelevant to quote IGN "Fire Emblems came and went before, but Awakening is a special chapter in the series." fun fact awakening placed 13th place in there top 125 nintendo games which did not include any other Fire Emblem games beside FE 1 and they couldn't even give that a proper sub title, but before that they had FE 2 in it's spot for no reason (if i remember right).

Nope what you have discovered is that much like the Zelda fanbase, Fire Emblem fans cannot agree on anything.... (except that large number of people that only care about awakening).

Edit: Just to be to clear I actually like the disparity of opinions among the fans here it means every game is well represented for both good and bad... The alternative is this forum becoming one continuous circle jerk.

Edited by Locke087

and the game pretty much forcing you to use a guide to even survive through the first fucking chapters

I think that's stretching it a bit. A Blind player will be fine during Manster as long as he knows:

1)how escaping works.

2)the enemy placement of 4x. That map is admittedly mostly artificially difficult for a first time player.

I agree with your overall point, though.

These might not be all that unpopular; I'm not very in touch with the fanbase, but:

-I find just about all of the lord characters to be incredibly boring. I can never really bring myself to care at all about them. And it honestly bothers me a little how much of a pedestal they're put on in the stories. I get that the games need a main character/leader, but they could stand to be a little more interesting.

-Others have mentioned it, but I don't get all the praise Genealogy's story gets. I can see how it's more complex than others, but not what makes it so interesting. Even when I was actually following everything that was going on it was just sort of dull. And even that much was a little tough considering how many names you're supposed to keep track of.

-FE2's interface is pretty aged, but I still find it mostly serviceable. Not sure why so many people seem to jump on that point first.

Literally everyone claiming liking Awakening is an "unpopular" opinion needs to look up the definition of the word "unpopular".

Gonna toss a few more out here just because.

1. I try to use female characters over equivalent male ones beyond all logic and math that would tell me to do otherwise.
  2. Chapter 2 is by far the worst thing about FE4, and is honestly bad enough that it makes it hard for me to replay it despite liking a lot of things about it.
  3. Being gay, having new weapon types and building a castle are the main three things that have kept me interested in Fates.
  4. I miss the dark>anima>light>dark triangle but am fine with wind>thunder>fire>wind staying gone.
  5. Path of Radiance is my favorite, but for probably for all the wrong reasons.

Hector and Ephraim are the worst written lords.

FE5 is a horrendously designed game.

FE10s writing isn't that bad.

Fates hate train is too unwarranted.

The story in FE games isn't really that great regardless.

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA, slow down there kid.

I know FE5 had moments where you couldn't beat the game and had to reset your file (like having no more door keys/lock-picks for Chapter 8x), but it wasn't THAT bad. You just had to memorize or read a guide to get through relatively unscathed. I only would have removed permanent status effects and surprise warp tiles, but other than that it's wonderfully designed game.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think FE5 is the best game in the series (that may change when I fully review Fates).

I do agree that Fire Emblem plots are passable at best. I think that character supports are what add charm to the game, like the social links in Persona.

Also, yes, all the Fates hate is unwarranted despite the silly features in the JP version.

I tend to avoid discussions about unpopular opinions because they're generally just people bragging about how special they are because they have a rare and unique opinion, but I suppose i'll chime in.

Micaiah is overhated. At the very least she's a much better character than Lyn and the self-inserts, who're some of the most popular and well-liked characters in the series.

I'm not going to have any s-supports on any of my playthroughs of Fates.(not sure if that's unpopular but most people I know are at least marrying their MU to someone for kids)

Phantom Ship wasn't that bad. I can think of 10 chapters off the top of my head that were harder.

Eliwood X Fiora is my favorite FE7 ship.

Anyway, whether your opinion of Awakening is unpopular or not really depends on where you look. Most people consider Awakening the best game in the series and don't care about the other games, but on most FE forums the majority agrees Awakening was pretty bad and the other games are better.

Edited by kantoorfarina

When I look at that without prior knowledge of the character I would sooner imagine a coffee addicted, neurotic spaz then I would imagine some piece of eye candy.

This is a more accurate description of Tharja than what I normally hear. . .well, maybe not the coffee part, but she's definitely got some serious problems!

I don't think it would go well if IS said "FE15 won't have long support conversations because most of you don't get them; deal". Getting to know characters and forming your own interpretation of them is part of the Fire Emblem fun for so many people (myself included). Maybe they can make more in-depth interpretations of what they're reading, maybe they can't, or maybe they can and just disagree with yours (I haven't played Awakening but people sure can't stop talking about how much they love or hate Tharja so clearly there is not a unanimous view of her going on). Either way there is no need to take fun away from people. It's like not including Jeigans anymore because the majority of the fanbase still hates them for stealing experience.

Hence why I put it in the thread of unpopular opinions! :P:

I know it will never be a reality, because of the sheer amount of dislike Shadow Dragon has due to its very minimalistic characterizations. But a girl can dream~!

I actually prefer the majority of Awakening's characters to older games in the series, except Tharja, because while she has a talent for bringing out backstory in supports, which I adore, she still creeps me out too much to like her on her own merits.

Have you ever asked yourself why she creeps you out? Not trying to be judgmental/argumentative, just curious. That's what I did when I started reading about Tharja, but it took several months before I could put it into words.

EDIT: Right, topic. Next unpopular opinion: Someone in the lower tiers will be a favorite of mine (name a game starting from the Elibe saga, and I can name someone who I'm fond of that's seen as pretty bad). It's inevitable.

Edited by eclipse

I think Tharja's biggest issue is that her future-self's treatment of Noire's played for laughs and could be vastly improved if they treated those actions with more weight. I do think a lot of her supports are quite good, though.

I think Tharja's biggest issue is that her future-self's treatment of Noire's played for laughs and could be vastly improved if they treated those actions with more weight. I do think a lot of her supports are quite good, though.

At first, I thought that father/Noire support was completely out-of-place. It's both really bad and really good, but for not-obvious reasons.

Good: The support talks about Tharja, with no input from her. This is how other people view her - someone who inconveniences them and is generally unaware of social boundaries. From this angle, it's really sad.

Bad: Instead of developing the bond between Noire and her father, it turned into a support about Tharja. Which is a disservice to Noire.

Speaking of, another unpopular opinion: father/Noire is the worst support chain in Awakening, because Tharja steals the spotlight.

I liked Gaiden (or have just played it) and it's not because of the story lol.

I think most/all of the stories in Fire Emblem are mediocre or worse, some just more than others.

I do dislike Roy's character.

I like the FE12 prologue/changes.

I like most of Kaga's games but I can't defend that they are not tedious.
MQXlH1Q.png
FE13 bores me, not really that I have hate or love it as seems to be the normal polarizing opinions.

I know FE5 had moments where you couldn't beat the game and had to reset your file (like having no more door keys/lock-picks for Chapter 8x), but it wasn't THAT bad. You just had to memorize or read a guide to get through relatively unscathed.

This isn't exactly a stellar advertisement for its design when you are required to read a guide.

Edited by Tryhard

-I like Micaiah and was very disappointed for her minimal role in the story.

-I'd like it if light magic (and dark magic) returned if only for flavor reasons. Wind/Fire/Thunder was a boring magic trinity

-I like Laguz a lot more in RD than PoR

-I don't have strong feelings for Tharja but her fans and haters move my opinion on her to mild dislike.

I prefer to play on the easier modes even though I'm fully capable of playing on harder ones because it's more relaxing

I always play the games on classic normal. The harder difficulties are doable but they become so tedious that I stop enjoying them. No casualty runs are enough strategy to keep me stimulated.

Another unpopular opinion; Phoenix Mode may seem ridiculous, but really, it complements Classic better than Casual does.
Casual is neither one thing nor the other. The developers wouldn't have put Phoenix in if they thought everyone should be able to handle Casual.
I think a mode between Phoenix and Classic should be for people who want to try Classic, but don't want to jump straight into the deep end.

What would this theoretically mid-ground between Casual and Phoenix be?

I honestly think the reason for the VERY unwarranted Fates hate bandwagon is Sonic/Zelda syndrome. ie. Hate on the new game cause it's different EVERY DAMN TIME a new game releases, and suddenly start praising a older game that got bashed when it released.

Not for me. Of all the FEs that I disliked when they first released, only Path of Radiance has been taken off the scrappy pile. I still loathe Shadow Dragon for its minimalism and ugly visual style (nearly dropped out of Fire Emblem entirely after that) and Awakening, while not as horrible as some people make it out to be, still has a lot of things I dislike, which were made far, far worse in Fates.

I think I can say as unpopular opinion that I didn't like Genealogy of the Holy War. Those fucking big ass maps feels like a chore, it's fun meddling with the arena, infinite repairable weapons and such, but now on chapter 7 or 8, can't remember, I just don't want to play it anymore. Even though the story is kinda good, I prefer Tellius games.

Talking about those, FE10 plot is actually good to me, I think the blood pact makes a great character out of Naesala. I fucking love Ike and the Black Knight as characters in both games (though I think that's not an unpopular opinion).

Awakening gameplay and map designs are not that bad. Its supports are nice and Tharja is in no way a sexy character, just a creepy motherfucker who wants to curse people.

Edited by Gabe

I know FE5 had moments where you couldn't beat the game and had to reset your file (like having no more door keys/lock-picks for Chapter 8x), but it wasn't THAT bad. You just had to memorize or read a guide to get through relatively unscathed. I only would have removed permanent status effects and surprise warp tiles, but other than that it's wonderfully designed game.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think FE5 is the best game in the series (that may change when I fully review Fates).

I do agree that Fire Emblem plots are passable at best. I think that character supports are what add charm to the game, like the social links in Persona.

Also, yes, all the Fates hate is unwarranted despite the silly features in the JP version.

I'm not sure you're defense of the game holds up well when you outright say that. If you need to follow a guide to get through a game, then I don't particularly think it's a well-made game at all.

The "abuse Noire" bit of her character was the main reason I hated her. ...Then I read the Robin support and was just "Yeah no you can die now"

I honestly think the reason for the VERY unwarranted Fates hate bandwagon is Sonic/Zelda syndrome.

I haven't stopped disliking FE13. Main reason I'm not getting Fates is how similar it looks to FE13.

Have you ever asked yourself why she creeps you out? Not trying to be judgmental/argumentative, just curious. That's what I did when I started reading about Tharja, but it took several months before I could put it into words.

If I'm being honest, she just made me feel uneasy around her when I first recruited her, but then that stalker gimmick of hers set in, which I both disliked and found creepy.

She definitely brings out good characterization and backstory in her supports, but it rather creeps me out when a character comes out and says in the Barracks that she's going to curse you to make you love her. She obviously never does that, unless she does in the Avatar's S support with her, but I'm not getting that tbh

I have enjoyed every game in the series that I have played.

I like dismounting.

I like weapon weight. (this one might not be unpopular, but w/e)

I like using Ests in most games.

I don't miss the content removed in FE3 Book 1, aside from Roger's recruitment.

FE12 adding back literally every character under the sun was a dumb idea.

I'm not a huge fan of Wrys.

That's your opinion and I'm fine with it.

But yeah openly admitting you need a guide for the game... doesn't really help.

Regardless, almost every map in this game has something I don't get, that annoys me, something i view as an awful design choice.

Every time I look at this game I just don't understand why half the choices for maps were made in this game, they really, just... aren't well designed at all in my opinion.

That plus me hating the mechanics, and I really can't say this is even a half decent game in my eyes.

I haven't stopped disliking FE13. Main reason I'm not getting Fates is how similar it looks to FE13.

What? I haven't played the game yet and I can see it's not similar to Awakening at all. The plot looks better, the Avatar looks better to me, and the characters still seem good for the most part too (well, in Birthright anyway. The Nohr characters look garbage to me). It only has the same art style, that's it. You're really selling the game short.