SSB General Competitive/Tournament Discussion. EVO 2016 ruleset is out

Jedi

What Smash games have you played?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Smash Games you've played before!

I'm both happy and upset that I didn't get into the competitive community until after the stages were mostly banned. Happy because I don't have to deal with dumb things that would cost me the match, but upset that I can't form a real opinion on those stages.

• 2 weeks later...

http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

Bumping because we see EVO 2016 rules now.

SUPER SMASH BROS FOR WIIU

Game version: US Nintendo WiiU
Game Settings: 2 Stock, 6 Minute Time Limit, Custom Moves Off, Items Off, Equipment Off, Handicap Off, Pause Off, Damage Ratio 100%, 2/3 Games
Mii Fighters On (1-1-1-1 Default Miis)
Amiibo’s are banned.
Starter Stages: Battlefield (Miiverse), Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Town & City
Counterpick Stages: Dream Land 64, Duck Hunt
All Omega stages are banned.
First stage is decided by (Rock Paper Scissors) best of 1. Winner strikes, then loser strikes twice, then winner. (1-2-2-1)
Following stages decided by winner banning one stage from all stages and then loser choosing.
Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
You may not play on a stage that is not on the available stages list. This will result in a double disqualification.
Maximum allowed time between games is 60 seconds. Any player violating this rule will be issued a loss.
Sudden Death with a tied percentage/stock count will NOT determine the outcome of a tied game. A playoff match with 1 stock/2 minutes will determine the winner.
There will be no loading anything on to the tournament consoles.

Explain?

I'm no expert but at a glance it looks like they're playing it overly safe to avoid backlash after last year.

The stage list is pretty thin, 2 stock is kinda lame and I don't personally agree with not allowing Miis to have custom specials.

aside from 2 stocks, i like it. lylat over dreamland is weird as far as i know (or i'm not knowledgeable with what's common), but it makes sense. and quality of staves > quantity.

i don't like miis having customs since nobody else gets them. just my two cents.

aside from 2 stocks, i like it. lylat over dreamland is weird as far as i know (or i'm not knowledgeable with what's common)

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Lylat being a starter.

• 2 weeks later...