Dear lord...

Metal Rabbit

I never ceased to be amazed at how far trolls take their little games... but tonight is just horrible...

On the Gfaqs brawl board, there's a mass panic about the game freezing. I mean, yeah it theoretically makes sense (The game is dual-layered so it fits all the data into one disk, and if your wii is dusty, or you're a smoker, then the disc will not read). But the level of trolling there had intensified so much since it was created that I don't even believe anything there anymore. If you guys who get the game tommorow have problems... tell me, would ya?

I'll get to my gamestop at 9:30 to pick up a reserved copy. I'll certainly let you all know if i have trouble.

I remember reading about problems with some Japanese Wii consoles when Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released in Japan. It did not, however, seem to me to be an overwhelming concern. Early PlayStation 2s received a lot of attention when dual layered PlayStation 2 games started to be released but the problem didn't affect the majority of PlayStation 2 owners in any respect. The GameFAQs board is likely seeing such a huge influx of posts on this matter because of the large number of people who bought the game at its midnight release. I expect that many of the players who will have opted to attend a midnight release and found a problem playing the game upon returning home will be voicing their concerns to Nintendo or on forums.

The problem appears greatly exaggerated not because many people are necessarily lying or trolling but because few players are going to bother posting to say that their copy is working fine. I recall a fair number of threads bring posted in regard to Wiis being rendered unusable by the first Wii firmware update on Nintendo's forums when the Wii was first released. Despite the small percentage of players who were affected by the problem, a casual observer of the Nintendo forums on the first few days after the Wii's release may have been left with the impression that most Wiis do not work. At this point it is far too early to judge how prominent the issue of reading dual layered media is for Wii owners but I would expect the chances that you will be affected by this problem to be relatively small.

I will tell you if I come across any problems, if I buy the game tomorrow, but I would be surprised if such an issue were to arise; I have always been careful while handling my console and I am not aware of any environmental problems in my room which might contribute to internal damage.

I hope it's false/rare among brawl. I will be VERY angry if my copy doesen't work and I have to ship my copy to get a new one.

What the hell...? That is very unfortunate.... Do you have any friends afflicted with the same problem?

I do not expect that this will make you feel any better, but my Wii has had no problem reading the game disc.

I thought you were implying your copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl was not working and was thus suggesting that somebody with the game working should send you his or her Wii and game. I need to spend more time ensuring I understand each post correctly before I make responses; upon looking back my interpretation does not fit very well to the discussion.

Regardless, it is good to know that you are not experiencing any problems.