What if Fire Emblem IN SPACE happened?

Jedi

Just a general goofy topic, during Awakenings conceptual stages, the team thought about maybe putting the team on Mars, now I dno about all of you, but I think the successes of Awakening and Fates would allow them to maybe toy with this idea as maybe a spinoff game?

I was thinking like laser swords, and all the typical sci-fi fantasy fare, I got a huge nostalgic rush to the likes of the old school Phantasy Star games when I was thinking what FE in space would basically be like, maybe even stuff like how Gundam series work, with space colonies and the like, mecha, over the top sci-fi weapons, political struggles, the works.

If anyone would like to bounce ideas around, it would be fun to come up with how it could work and stuff.

Edited by Jedi

The idea itself is something I'm sure lots of people have thought about lol

since its a spinoff, there's so much to play around with, like new gameplay elements, I always thought it would be cool to have multiple "layers" for each battle, something like advance wars but completely different, where you'd have soldiers and tanks on the ground of a planet, while the second layer is above the first and has mechs and jets in space, weapons will be more scifi themed with lightsabers and lasers replacing swords and bows, classes will be more scifi themed too, like having mech riders and troopers and gunners or weird alien races instead laguz and taguel for example

the story wouldnt be too far from how fire emblem is now but there would be much more room to go crazy with it since its set in space, the story could expand different universes and galaxies, where each one would have a different race, climate, political situation

Edited by Crazy Retro Cool

The idea itself is something I'm sure lots of people have thought about lol

since its a spinoff, there's so much to play around with, like new gameplay elements, I always thought it would be cool to have multiple "layers" for each battle, something like advance wars but completely different, where you'd have soldiers and tanks on the ground of a planet, while the second layer is above the first and has mechs and jets in space, weapons will be more scifi themed with lightsabers and lasers replacing swords and bows, classes will be more scifi themed too, like having mech riders and troopers and gunners or weird alien races instead laguz and taguel for example

the story wouldnt be too far from how fire emblem is now but there would be much more room to go crazy with it since its set in space, the story could expand different universes and galaxies, where each one would have a different race, climate, political situation

I'd be up for some Advance Wars styled dual battles, although I'd like to have more control over the second screen this time :P:. Love your ideas in general

I also like the concept of tanks and stuff, it could be just a continuation of the FE class used in FE11 the Ballistian. Heck this could be like a merger of AW and FE styles of gameplay in some aspects.

It would be more like the Robot Wars series , except with permanent death.

And probably having to fight as your normal self inside space colonies and the like Star Wars style.

It would be turn based Xenoblade Chronicles, what are you talking about

I personally think it would be a good idea to give a twist to the essence of FE, since it is based basically on medieval themes. One would think about a clash between races, perhaps one human race, an alien race and machines or something alike and maybe feature the presence of astral beings, I don't know. There are plenty of ideas. I doubt this will happen though.

I would love it if it was identical to Fire Emblem, horses, staves, lances and magic. The only difference being they have access to spaceships and spacesuits. It would be beautifully anachronistic.

I had thought a few years back about more of a steampunk setting, which I think would've been pretty damned interesting. It would've allowed for some cool technological advances without rendering swords obsolete, and we could have cavaliers riding motorcycles...

...Seriously, seriously, if they ever do a more technologically advanced fire emblem game, THE CAVALIERS HAVE TO BE RIDING MOTORCYCLES.

Just a general goofy topic, during Awakenings conceptual stages, the team thought about maybe putting the team on Mars, now I dno about all of you, but I think the successes of Awakening and Fates would allow them to maybe toy with this idea as maybe a spinoff game?

I was thinking like laser swords, and all the typical sci-fi fantasy fare, I got a huge nostalgic rush to the likes of the old school Phantasy Star games when I was thinking what FE in space would basically be like, maybe even stuff like how Gundam series work, with space colonies and the like, mecha, over the top sci-fi weapons, political struggles, the works.

If anyone would like to bounce ideas around, it would be fun to come up with how it could work and stuff.

You know, my first reaction to the "FE on Mars" direction was firmly in the camp of "this doesn't make sense". My second reaction, on reading this topic, was "We already have Super Robot Taisen for 'futuristic' FE-style gameplay".

And yet, as soon as you started into the second paragraph, Phantasy Star (or even Xenosaga or Xenoblade) popped in as something I could see working as inspiration for doing this in an FE system. (EDIT - Even something like Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars (and the rest of the series) could serve as inspiration for an actual on-the-planet type of game, set in a world even more ruin-y than Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.)

FE is like a medieval epic, so why not go full on space opera when changing the setting?

Edited by Lord Glenn

The gameplay of Fire Emblem doesn't translate well to a futuristic theme, I think.

Why not? It's literally just move units, choose an option and attack. Nothing about the core gameplay demands it be medievil. You could replace the units with spaceships or mermaids and it would still be the same.

The gameplay of Fire Emblem doesn't translate well to a futuristic theme, I think.

Well considering you can have fantasy/medieval work in a sci-fi setting, look at Star Wars, Star Ocean and Phantasy Star for some examples, I don't see why it couldn't translate myself.

Edited by Jedi

Why not? It's literally just move units, choose an option and attack. Nothing about the core gameplay demands it be medievil. You could replace the units with spaceships or mermaids and it would still be the same.

Fire Emblem is focused around melee combat with swords, axes and lances, which haven't been used for over a hundred years in any kinds of war. Fire Emblem is focused around individual characters and relationships, which are irrelevant in a mechanistic future dominated by clones and AIs. Fire Emblem has a strong element of magic which doesn't make sense in a universe that has embraced a scientific view of the world. Fire Emblem works on a two dimensional grid. Space is three dimensional. And so on. Fire Emblem just makes more sense in the context of a medieval low-magic fantasy universe than soft-sci-fi grand opera.

And to be honest, if you don't like Fire Emblem, why don't you just leave? I'm sick of people who hate Fire Emblem trying to change it into something it's not. Go play any of the countless soft-sci-fi JRPGs out there. There isn't exactly a shortage.

Fire Emblem is focused around melee combat with swords, axes and lances, which haven't been used for over a hundred years in any kinds of war. Fire Emblem is focused around individual characters and relationships, which are irrelevant in a mechanistic future dominated by clones and AIs. Fire Emblem has a strong element of magic which doesn't make sense in a universe that has embraced a scientific view of the world. Fire Emblem works on a two dimensional grid. Space is three dimensional. And so on. Fire Emblem just makes more sense in the context of a medieval low-magic fantasy universe than soft-sci-fi grand opera.

And to be honest, if you don't like Fire Emblem, why don't you just leave? I'm sick of people who hate Fire Emblem trying to change it into something it's not. Go play any of the countless soft-sci-fi JRPGs out there. There isn't exactly a shortage.

we love fire emblem, we're not trying to change a thing about it, he said spin off similar to #FE if people liked that then they automatically hate fire emblem too?

its a spinoff that sounds fun and we're just thinking up of fun ideas, you're being silly

I do like the science-fantasy genre, so maybe that could work.

...with an orbital city hub that is powered by a fire emblem. (Or fire emblem shards that are used to massively control the elements to terraform a planet)

Edited by Naughx

But that's not the gameplay. That's the game's aestetic. The gameplay of Fire Emblem is to have a bunch of units with a bunch of different attack options. The melee combat and magic aren't integral to the way the game works. It's just how the mechanics are represented. I get what you're saying but you're using the wrong terminology.

(and scifi or not, I would like to seem them add a third dimension to the grid combat ala Final Fantasy Tactics).

Edited by Jotari

I think the aesthetics of a medieval fantasy setting are too integral to the Fire Emblem experience for me to even consider a science fiction setting. I'm perfectly okay with them sticking to their current genre.

I can see humanoid alien waifu characters becoming a rage in the portion of the fanbase that accepts the game.

BTW, the furthest that "FE on Mars" idea ever came to be was when Kozaki drew up a sketch of Chrom in an astronaut suit as an April Fools' joke.

femars2015.jpg