So...

sleepybunloaf

Pretty mixed. The main story dialogue seems good, but that "rwhghrhr dragonspeech" thing that's taken the internet by storm today is incredibly stupid. It almost feels like two different localization crews, with the good one handling all the main story text, and some intern who frequently browses 9gag handling the optional dialogue for children characters and such.

Edited by Weanus

(Oh tumblr~You can be great sometimes but man, you can be filled with toxic). I find it that people on tumblr just over-exaggerate or over-react to things that aren't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things (did you see how Tumblr blew up about the Soleil fiasco and the rubbing being removed? My gosh, it was embarrassing to watch). Like, I swear, some people make it seem like these changes are going to end the world.

I have 0 problems with the localization and I've said this before but, I know things are going to change so when they do, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. You kind of just have to adapt. I looooooooooooove the voice acting and I might even go as far as to say I like it more than Awakening just because I find the characters in Fates a lot more interesting, so I'm going to enjoy their voices a lot more.

Of course, there are those questionable translations but I just get a good laugh from them.

(Yes, it's such a wonderful 'caring' sight isn't it?) I honestly should have known better cause tumblr is just overflowing with drama queens who will lose their shit at the drop of even the smallest dime. They make just about everything seem like the end of the world, it's ridiculous.

It took me a couple of weeks but i've grown to like the voices, especially Cyrus and Ryouma's, considering they're voiced by two of my favorite english voice actors!

The "That's dragon for 'I love you'" honestly makes me laugh a lot, but it's actually kinda cute!

I don't have any problems with the localization too actually. Everything is fine and I'm not upset about anything. Well, I have been like "What..." with some of the names like Jakob and Niles. Subaki is still a "meh" to me but oh well.

Voice acting is fine? I cringed at Felicia's at first but after hearing more of her lines, I think it's kinda okay. And British Joker hue.

No facerubbing is alright for me. I will miss it. I admit, I was like "Welp time to get a Japanese 3DS" but nah. Besides, I like the convos more actually. It saves time and doesn't get awkward when i play the game in the public lol.

So apparently, the VA for Silas is the same as Pit's? I can't hear it but oh well lol

Dual audio isn't my problem but if there is... can we hear aqua's song in Japanese as well? :o I love that song in both versions.

I'm still really iffy about the name changes, i'll get over them eventually cause I don't like dwelling on such a petty thing. And honestly I still might get a Japanese 3ds with an imported copy, maybe. We'll see with time.

And yes, it is indeed Pit's voice actor, his voice is a lot deeper but I can recognize it from a mile away after all the hours I put into Uprising haha.

I'm a lil sad there is no dual audio but I get why, it has to do with copyright issues dealing with the actual song in reality so now that it was cleared up for me i'm over it.

I love the cute names. I love the witty script. I love all the cute new voices voices. I love Fire Emblem Fates and I can't wait for one more week.

I'll be honest, coming from someone who only likes a few of the translated names, it's so refreshing to see someone actually like it and still be excited for it. You put a smile on my face hun! ;u;

Actually, I'm not to sure that Silas's voice actor is Antonio Del Rio.

It really didn't seem like him, my best guess is that Silas's voice actor is actually Michael Johnston, who does sounds like Antonio.

Not only that but I think Antonio is a Union voice actor, which makes it very hard for him to voice someone in this game.

However, I can't sure of that. Dark Paladin X can answer this better than me.

I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't Antony! I guess we'll just have to wait and see official voice credits though huh?

For someone with the fan translation and plans to get the localization, I have a feeling i'm going to prefer the localization. I like the changes to the characterization better from what i've seen, and frankly the fan translation is a bit clunky in alot of places.

I also prefer English VA over Japanese 9/10 times which does also tip me more toward the localization.

People are allowed to have their preferences though. I'm not gonna tell them what to like/dislike.

I didn't really start finding out anything about what was in the original version until I came here a few weeks ago. So it's safe to say I don't have a ton of attachment to anything, much the same as I would to any other game. From what I've seen, it seems NoA has done their best to balance respecting the game's fanbase and the fact that they are / are working for a business and need to make decisions which will benefit that business within North America. I can't wait to get my hands on Fates next Friday. I want to play!

You do realize why Tumblr is the way it is, right? one word: teenagers. Teens always overreact. Especially when they dont know the whole story about something. Add the anonymity of the internet, and bam. Still hasnt been as bad as the reddit threads ive seen on the subject. Hoooo boy that was scary.

Im not arsed about the localization. Im more happy i get to play the game in my native freaking language. Some of the name changes make me go "really?" but other than that, /shrug. I think the skinship compromise is quite nice.

European sales for the FE serie are quite bad, that's why our opinion doesn't matter much.

We are given the NA version of the game and have to deal with it, that's the market's law.

It didn't happen with Awakening, seeing as in my copy the text says "Armourer" instead of "Armorer".

EDIT: In fact, ever since the Mario Party 8 debacle, NoE does its own translations for games released in Europe.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I've seen plenty of different things that disheartens me, such as me being called petty for prefering to use the character's Japanese voices, I do like a lot of the name changes, such as Selkie, such an adorable name! But I am quite attached to the Japanese ones and just like usin em more.

And yes, tumblr is a very, scary and horrible place to be for not only a fire emblem fan, but a fan of anything really. I've tried not to use it as often honestly but sometimes I get really excited and just wanna talk to someone about it.

It's why I don't touch that place with a twenty-foot pole (Well, except for some fanart on occasion, but I don't stay longer than necessary). People there seem to thrive on making drama out of nothing and misconstruing everything you say into something offensive. Its horrible.... *shudder*

I'm one of the few who actually tend to like most dubs over subs, so I have no problem so far with localization dub (just a few voices I'm iffy on like Effie, and the names I don't care for are simply something i'll get used to). Other than the initial cutting content scare, I'm really hyped and excited for the release (praying for no more controversies in the next week).

I largely avoided reading anything about the story, looking at screenshots with dialogue, or getting attached to Japanese names so I could enjoy the localization without internally comparing it to the original. So as someone that successfully avoided almost everything they could about the Japanese version, I'm really excited about the US release. The supports and dialogue I've seen thus far look good so I'm looking forward to it.

As for people supposedly cancelling their preorders by huge amounts, it's uh...#1 and #2 on Amazon's 3DS list so I'm sure there aren't actually that many people mad enough to cancel their preorder to make a difference.

I've seen plenty of different things that disheartens me, such as me being called petty for prefering to use the character's Japanese voices, I do like a lot of the name changes, such as Selkie, such an adorable name! But I am quite attached to the Japanese ones and just like usin em more.

And yes, tumblr is a very, scary and horrible place to be for not only a fire emblem fan, but a fan of anything really. I've tried not to use it as often honestly but sometimes I get really excited and just wanna talk to someone about it.

Tumblr is just so extra. I don't understand how such an "accepting" site can have such a hard time with accepting others opinons. I use tumblr a lot but it can be more stress than humor sometimes. I really enjoy some of the name changes actually, benny is weirdly a name I actually kinda like even though everyone seems to hate the name.

You do realize why Tumblr is the way it is, right? one word: teenagers. Teens always overreact. Especially when they dont know the whole story about something. Add the anonymity of the internet, and bam. Still hasnt been as bad as the reddit threads ive seen on the subject. Hoooo boy that was scary.

Im not arsed about the localization. Im more happy i get to play the game in my native freaking language. Some of the name changes make me go "really?" but other than that, /shrug. I think the skinship compromise is quite nice.

Tumblr is more of an echo chamber than a bunch of hormonal teens, I mean hormonal teens are one part of it (Ironic coming from a teen) but it is hard for someone to think their wrong on tumblr. God forbid reddit though

Best part about tumblr though, is you can literally block out the BS. I do it all the time and its nice. My blacklist is mighty and long. You can customize what you see. I dont follow shitty people so i dont see really shitty things all the time.

Also, most people on tumblr are under 25. If you are older than that, you are considered a fucking gramma, and thats not an exaggeration.

People have really over-exaggerated how bad the fates localization really is, I think a lot of the 4kidz friend emblem posts are just satire (I hope).

Treehouse did a good job tbh, they don't deserve the blunt off all the fates hate.

I strongly disagree. While it might not be enough to make me not purchase the game (waiting until people have their hands on it to confirm some things) there's no situation in which I'd call this 'good'. The arbitrary removal of vanity items like swimsuits, the removal of the skinship minigame itself (this one is less crucial IF there's the same level of dialogue diversity.), no dual audio, and some very questionable voice actors make this one exceedingly mediocre at best. I'm thankful it's not RD tier, where we miss out on a whole difficulty level and have the plot re-written, but that shouldn't be all we hope for, should it?

My main hope at this point in time is that after the launch of the NA version the good people over in the fan creations forum can undo many of NoA's mistakes and give us the game we always should have had.

I strongly disagree. While it might not be enough to make me not purchase the game (waiting until people have their hands on it to confirm some things) there's no situation in which I'd call this 'good'. The arbitrary removal of vanity items like swimsuits, the removal of the skinship minigame itself (this one is less crucial IF there's the same level of dialogue diversity.), no dual audio, and some very questionable voice actors make this one exceedingly mediocre at best. I'm thankful it's not RD tier, where we miss out on a whole difficulty level and have the plot re-written, but that shouldn't be all we hope for, should it?

My main hope at this point in time is that after the launch of the NA version the good people over in the fan creations forum can undo many of NoA's mistakes and give us the game we always should have had.

I don't let the choice in voice actors and removal of content get in the way of buying Fates. As long as the games are out overseas, I'm good.

The removal of Skinship and swimsuits is a little bit odd and disappointing to me, but overall I'm really looking forward to this. The translated script reads really well and the voice acting all sounds good, even Felicia.

Apparently you can still see them in their underwear? iunno how that even makes sense.

Edited by Kativera

As the administrator of the aforementioned fan creation team (Team If), and as someone who has 700+ hours in the game (and translated a fair bit of it)...

Just get the game.

Even if we plan to restore your lost content, honestly the stuff they remove has a lot of stuff that a lot of people wouldn't even notice or use. I don't even have over 2 minutes in the skinship / Amie system, and even equipping a swimsuit is pretty pointless - except for the model viewer, you're never going to see it, unless you play against some team that has an armor-shredding item (in which, yes, the models actually lose their clothes).

People say Tumblr is bad, but I dunno, it feels like almost everywhere (not counting Serenes) is a bad place to talk about the Fates localization. But I go to Tumblr for pretty pictures and have been avoiding Fates tag for months, so maybe it's even worse than I realize.

I'm honestly quite satisfied with what I've seen and heard so far. The localization has that certain kind of flavor I really enjoy, so it's fun to read and listen to. I watched plenty of Japanese gameplay footage, but didn't really get attached to anything. After seeing Xander's name on Treehouse's E3 livestream I told myself that anything could be changed in the localization... and since then, no change has surprised me.

People say Tumblr is bad, but I dunno, it feels like almost everywhere (not counting Serenes) is a bad place to talk about the Fates localization. But I go to Tumblr for pretty pictures and have been avoiding Fates tag for months, so maybe it's even worse than I realize.

I'm honestly quite satisfied with what I've seen and heard so far. The localization has that certain kind of flavor I really enjoy, so it's fun to read and listen to. I watched plenty of Japanese gameplay footage, but didn't really get attached to anything. After seeing Xander's name on Treehouse's E3 livestream I told myself that anything could be changed in the localization... and since then, no change has surprised me.

I agree, I use tumblr on a regular basis, but everyone seems to be REALLY upset about every name change...there are some I don't mind, but there are a few that I think were weird/unecessary (like Nishiki to Kaden, and Tsubaki to Subaki...basically, a lot of the Hoshido/Japanese names).

I'm not sure what I think of all the localization right now. I don't mind they took out the skinship and changed Soleil's supports (even if it was a mistranslation that caused all this, or that's what I heard). I haven't heard a lot of the voice acting, but I honestly don't think I can warm-up to Felicia's voice. Makes me feel bad saying that because I've heard there's a lot of new VA's in Fates, and I don't want to seem...discouraging?

tbh, even if the localization is kinda bad, I'm just glad we're getting the game here. I've been learning Japanese but I don't think I could ever get to a level anytime soon where I could play Fates. Apparently some of the language is a bit archaic?