Fire Emblem 1 updated translation patch

Mega Koopa

On 12/14/2016 at 7:19 PM, Mega Koopa X said:

Yeah, but "Strength" doesn't fit, I've already tried changing it. It just cuts off the "S" and shows up as "trength" in game.

Just an idea, but why not standardize the names to be the more familiar abbreviations?

Str
Skill
Wlv
Spd
Lck
Def
Res
Mov

I feel as though something like this would be more appealing than the current implementation, where it attempts to use the full words but can't fit all of them without dropping a letter or two, and even uses an entirely new term for a stat that's always been referred to as something else in the official games.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/1/2017 at 0:29 AM, Prince of Iris said:

Just an idea, but why not standardize the names to be the more familiar abbreviations?

Str
Skill
Wlv
Spd
Lck
Def
Res
Mov

I feel as though something like this would be more appealing than the current implementation, where it attempts to use the full words but can't fit all of them without dropping a letter or two, and even uses an entirely new term for a stat that's always been referred to as something else in the official games.

I guess I could try that, I didn't try it before because I didn't know how good it would look.

1 hour ago, Mega Koopa X said:

I guess I could try that, I didn't try it before because I didn't know how good it would look.

I appreciate the consideration. I wish I could be more of help, but I thought the least I could do is suggest that. Maybe also try testing them with all caps and see if that may look any better aesthetically.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really had a problem with it before but it looks a lot cleaner now that there's more space in-between and they're all not jumbled up on the right. I'd also stick with WpnLvl, just cuz

now if only Catria could stop showing up as Caeda in ch 7 and 14

• 5 weeks later...

Beta 4 is out now, the stupid Captcha thing is stopping me from editing the page. So, here it is FE1.ips, just apply it to an unmodified Japanese rom. I fixed the Catria thing, the status screen and some other instances of garbled text.

• 1 month later...
On 16/4/2017 at 11:28 PM, Mega Koopa X said:

Beta 4 is out now, the stupid Captcha thing is stopping me from editing the page. So, here it is FE1.ips, just apply it to an unmodified Japanese rom. I fixed the Catria thing, the status screen and some other instances of garbled text.

Thanks for the update

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, BlueFalcon29 said:

I think I found an error. In one of the houses in Chapter 10, the man doesn't finish his sentence(s).Ch10.png.f43f3cd000907207b8fd164d991655e7.png

Does the game like crash afterwards or something?

That comma seems to be in an appropriate place since he's listing the names of the three great sages in the screenshot. 

1 minute ago, Mega Koopa X said:

Does the game like crash afterwards or something?

That comma seems to be in an appropriate place since he's listing the names of the three great sages in the screenshot. 

No, the text just stops right there so he's only listing one of the sages. It's a small thing but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Just now, BlueFalcon29 said:

No, the text just stops right there so he's only listing one of the sages. It's a small thing but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Oh, I must've put in the value for ending the text when I meant to add a space. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that in the next version.

• 3 months later...

Playing through FE1 (first time) using your version of the patch.  Just wanted to point out what is probably a wording error, if you're still working on this.

The intro text for Chapter 13 says "Can Marth preserve?"  Probably supposed to be "persevere".

Before that it also says "While creating noise, Ballistae start to approach", which seems like strange wording, but that doesn't bother me as much as the above.  Sometimes random grammar mistakes make the game feel more authentic, ha.

17 hours ago, CrypticMantisTX55 said:

Playing through FE1 (first time) using your version of the patch.  Just wanted to point out what is probably a wording error, if you're still working on this.

The intro text for Chapter 13 says "Can Marth preserve?"  Probably supposed to be "persevere".

Before that it also says "While creating noise, Ballistae start to approach", which seems like strange wording, but that doesn't bother me as much as the above.  Sometimes random grammar mistakes make the game feel more authentic, ha.

Whoops, I must've been drunk when I put in "preserve" instead of "persevere", I'll make sure to fix that right away. 

What do you think is a better way to word "While creating noise, Ballistae start to approach"? I guess I can say something like "Ballistae approach while making noise" or something that sounds less awkward.

5 hours ago, Mega Koopa X said:

Whoops, I must've been drunk when I put in "preserve" instead of "persevere", I'll make sure to fix that right away. 

What do you think is a better way to word "While creating noise, Ballistae start to approach"? I guess I can say something like "Ballistae approach while making noise" or something that sounds less awkward.

I'd say just take more liberty with the line.  Something like

"Rumbling/clattering in the distance, the Ballistae start/begin to approach."

I don't know what sort of character limits you have to deal with though.  If that's too long, maybe just get rid of the comma.
"The rumbling/clattering Ballistae start/begin to approach."

Whichever combination sounds best.  To me "While creating noise," just doesn't really sound like something someone would naturally say, and "noise" just isn't very descriptive of a word.

(My brain is in high school proof-reading mode now, I am sorry.  lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok im really sorry for what might seem like necro posting but i tried the patch, applied it with LIPS and all that, but, not only does it not seem to be translated properly on the opening credits screen (though a minor issue) but i cant get to the file select. it just crashes right there.

Awesome translation!  (Signed up just to get it.)  I just began this game a couple weeks ago, and, having had to restart, can really appreciate the improvement.

Could there be an additional bold patch that just replaces the font (to apply to this and future versions)?  I realize it's an annoying thing to bring up, but I do find the blockier uppercase easier to read.  If it's as simple as copying and pasting to a specific rom address, maybe I can figure it out myself.  

Thanks again, and I'll be playing through for some time.  Let me know if I can help.