Remade the Prologue Map, Game Freezes

Loopulk

So after the second prologue cutscene in FE8, it goes to the map (I replaced the old map with a new one via MarkyJoe's Youtube tutorial) and then freezes a bit after the character replacing Seth (the archer) comes out and moves. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks!

[spoiler=Screenie]383d93543355e5d1f60d36c2d1b76826.png

Edit: When I went into the Hex Editor thing, I couldn't just add a new line since the last line wasn't complete, so I added zeros to the end of it. Not sure if that's relevant.

Edited by Loopulk

Your map contains a ton of tiles that units normally cannot traverse. From my experience, it's kind of hit and miss when you try to forcibly move units across tiles they shouldn't be able to cross.

Edit: When I went into the Hex Editor thing, I couldn't just add a new line since the last line wasn't complete, so I added zeros to the end of it. Not sure if that's relevant.

What does this even mean? You'll have to be way more specific. Add zeroes to what? Why? You typically don't use a hex editor when inserting maps (unless you like tedium).

Oh dang. How am I supposed to add in maps, then? :X

As for the hex thing, I used HxD Hex Editor as done in the tutorial, but the last line wasn't complete so I added i zeros so I could start a new line.

Edit: Wait. Are those gray tiles not floors!?

Edited by Loopulk

Oh dang. How am I supposed to add in maps, then? :X

If you're using Tiled, follow this tutorial. If you're using Mappy, follow this one.

Free space is essentially what it says on the tin: space in the ROM that is not being used by the game, and so you're free to dump whatever you want there.

It's typically characterized by a lot of 0x00s or 0xFFs repeated (or repeating sections of 4 0x00s and 4 0xFFs).

In FE8 the range 0x00B2A610 to 0x00C00000 is confirmed to be free space (Check FEditor's Free Space folder in the doc for known free space ranges).

Edited by Primefusion

I used the free space you recommended and check the thing, and it was free. Anyway, so I followed the steps in the tutorial to which you linked me and I got THIS as a result.

fba55868302d678cc2309cba4c6717e5.png830d46b3df598acf2562278040d07ad8.png

As you can see (or not), it's outside of the castle during the second prologue cutscene just on a different tileset. I changed the thing in Event Table Editor, but it's just taking them to outside the castle instead of a custom map. :L

Do you know what went wrong and why it worked for me before (kinda) but not now?

Thanks!

Edited by Loopulk

There's a couple things that might have gone wrong.

1) You had Nightmare/FEditor open both before and after you reinserted the map, and then when Nightmare/FEditor was saved it undid everything.

or

2) The pointer to the new map wasn't set up correctly.

Try inserting the map again, but make sure neither FEditor nor Nightmare are open. Then, go in afterwards and make sure your pointer is set up correctly.

Unfortunately, the units walk into the map so I'd have to change their walking paths too.

Oh well. I'll do that later I guess. XD

Or maybe I could just remove that cutscene all together and just make it fade into combat. Hmmm...