Best magic based class

smash-brethren

Need help picking a secondary that's magic based. Do I go with diviner or dark mage? I know sorceror has s rank in tomes but got nerfed and i dont know enough about how diviner compares. Overall whats the best magic using class (aside from nohr noble)

Spellcaster have good growths and tomefaire but DK (dark mage path) is mounted which win i think? his magic isn't that bad and he can use swords as well. The one issue i see is speed but defensive formation for PVP will repair this. Story-wise you shouldn't have problem doubling or being doubled.

I still feel bad that in this game magic isn't that effective.
Well Diviner aside of tomafire you have acces to the breaking sky.
All i will say is if you're Nohr, go for Spellcaster cause you can buddy Leo or Nyx respectivly
If you're Hoshido, go for Sorc and you can buddy Orochi or Tsukoyomi respectivly.
If you're invisibly go for secoundary class which your partner will benefit cause you have both mages aviable.

I still feel bad that in this game magic isn't that effective.

Well Diviner aside of tomafire you have acces to the breaking sky.

All i will say is if you're Nohr, go for Spellcaster cause you can buddy Leo or Nyx respectivly

If you're Hoshido, go for Sorc and you can buddy Orochi or Tsukoyomi respectivly.

If you're invisibly go for secoundary class which your partner will benefit cause you have both mages aviable.

Ah, I can't be godly anymore? My Robin was so OP. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I wonder if I could survive PVP as a kinshi knight? I think the mounted units are cute.

Ah, I can't be godly anymore? My Robin was so OP. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I wonder if I could survive PVP as a kinshi knight? I think the mounted units are cute.

I'm not fan of mounted units xD

I heard that kinshi is fine however i can't say if it's right, i hadn't played yet so it's hard to compare Kinshi to other fliers for now for me. :P

The only downside is that I have to wait until the DLC comes out... and I told myself I wouldn't restart. : (

Yeah but if you have Special Edition version, or by owning 3 paths, you will get 2 Ebon Wings (item to class change to Dark Flier).

I like Dark Knight for mobility and Yato access. It's a bit slow, but that can be circumvented with tonics and a +speed pair up (like the first servant). Also, in Birthright and Revelation Yato boosts speed and you have access to Horse Spirit. I also don't get the hype around Tomefaire. Yes, +5 damage is very nice, but it comes so late that I don't know if it's worth it.

Edit: You can get a Horse Spirit in Conquest, but it's in Ophelia's paralogue, and not everyone wants to train Odin.

Edited by Mango Giamatti

Much to my dismay, physical units kinda outclass magic units like in Radiant dawn. I blame poor HP caps, rather low maximum stats, and Dark Magic getting nerfed to hell.

Mango Giamatti's answer is pretty much what I would say. Diviner DOES get tomefaire, though, but it's a tad frail.

Edited by Leif

With Horse Spirit… I believe you get two in the Hoshidan armory…. should we forge the Horse spirit and then give it one unit (for +2 Might on it, so a 6 Might spell that gives the +3 SPD/SKL/DEF/RES bonuses), or should we keep them separate and unforged, weaker but on two units?

Much to my dismay, physical units kinda outclass magic units like in Radiant dawn. I blame poor HP caps, rather low maximum stats, and Dark Magic getting nerfed to hell.

Mango Giamatti's answer is pretty much what I would say. Diviner DOES get tomefaire, though, but it's a tad frail.

I'd say it's not as bad as in Radiant Dawn, though.

I like Dark Knight for mobility and Yato access. It's a bit slow, but that can be circumvented with tonics and a +speed pair up (like the first servant). Also, in Birthright and Revelation Yato boosts speed and you have access to Horse Spirit. I also don't get the hype around Tomefaire. Yes, +5 damage is very nice, but it comes so late that I don't know if it's worth it.

Edit: You can get a Horse Spirit in Conquest, but it's in Ophelia's paralogue, and not everyone wants to train Odin.

Personally, though, I find Dark Mage outclassed by Diviner, even if Dark Knight might be better than Onmyoji or whatever.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I won't call magic itself bad. It's just that the magic users in the games, not named Corrin or Leo, are mediocre units. (Well, Revelation Hayato is pretty cool).

Personally, though, I find Dark Mage outclassed by Diviner, even if Dark Knight might be better than Onmyoji or whatever.

Yeah, the speed difference is pretty bad. Diviner is better early on, but Dark Mage gets the edge later. It is easier to fix a speed issue than it is to fix a mobility issue, though.

I'd say it's not as bad as in Radiant Dawn, though.

I won't call magic itself bad. It's just that the magic users in the games, not named Corrin or Leo, are mediocre units. (Well, Revelation Hayato is pretty cool).

Yeah, the speed difference is pretty bad. Diviner is better early on, but Dark Mage gets the edge later. It is easier to fix a speed issue than it is to fix a mobility issue, though.

^ This.

I should have added that the mediocre units, outside of Leo and Corrin, don't help magic in this Fire Emblem incarnation. Still, Onmyoji has a horrendous HP cap of 45, which is as bad as Ilyana's HP cap in RD. Dark Mages are slow, but pairing up with a speedy unit can rectify that. I think IS realized how OP magic was in Awakening and decided to annihilate it in Fates.

But would being better later really be superior to being better early on???

I should have added that the mediocre units, outside of Leo and Corrin, don't help magic in this Fire Emblem incarnation. Still, Onmyoji has a horrendous HP cap of 45, which is as bad as Ilyana's HP cap in RD. Dark Mages are slow, but pairing up with a speedy unit can rectify that. I think IS realized how OP magic was in Awakening and decided to annihilate it in Fates.

Mayhaps, but I don't think it could get any worse than it was in Radiant Dawn, where none of the magic classes had a good speed cap save for the one you got for the last part of the endgame.

Also, WRT pair up, it's not nearly as OP as it was in Awakening, so I'm VERY hesitant to consider pair up a cure-all when it gives birth to problems that are actually noticeable in this installment...

Yeah, I'm planning to pair my future Dark Knight (once I get the game) with a +SPD class to help alleviate the problem. [As its no secret that I plan to marry him to Caeldori, she has a ton of +SPD options available: Sky Knight & its upgrades, Samurai/Swordmaster/Master of Arms, etc. I may even make her a Dark Falcon with the Ebon Wings gained from the Speical Edition so that she'll also boost his magic…. and Dark Knight/Falcon Warrior or Dark Falcon pairings mutually give each other +1 Move, so both units in the pair would end up with 9 move. And 1-2 range from Tomes or Bolt Naginatas].

But would being better later really be superior to being better early on???

Well, "better early on" only means that it has three more speed at base. With a tonic, that's only one less speed and equal to the base speed of Nohr Princess Corrin. In my view, the advantages of Dark Knight later in the game outweigh one point of speed early on. (tonics are dirt cheap)

Well, "better early on" only means that it has three more speed at base. With a tonic, that's only one less speed and equal to the base speed of Nohr Princess Corrin. In my view, the advantages of Dark Knight later in the game outweigh one point of speed early on. (tonics are dirt cheap)

On the other hand, that same Speed Tonic could allow Diviner Corrin to double stuff that Dark Mage Corrin can't double even with it...

Lets see….

An average +MAG Dark Knight whose flaw doesn't penalize speed tends around 25 SPD at 20/15.

Revelations/Birthirght Yato soon give +2 SPD, later +4 speed, just for being in the inventory. Spells like Horse God give +3 SPD, and Snake God (the Hoshidan Brave spell) gives +1 SPD. Even the Hoshdian C-rank "Steel" type weapon, with its -3 attack speed penalty, gives +1 SPD to slightly offset it. If you use Yato equipped, that's +1 SPD.

So a Hoshidan Dark Knight Avatar at 20/15 in the last chapters tends to have average values of (may be higher or lower):

25 SPD (from bases + leveling, average values only, results may vary) + 4 SPD (Yato bonus) + 1 SPD if Yato or Snake God is equipped (for example, two of the better weapons, Yato and a Brave) ---> 30 SPD

------> Adding a tonic onto this means that your average 20/15 Dark Knight will be able to hit 32 SPD while using Yato or Snake God… this doubles some of the fastest enemies in Hoshido 27, the Heroes and Bersekers (its might not be enough for things like Ninjas, that said). This is before pair-up, and we haven't accounted for Speedwings or Rallies either.

There are enough easy speed boosters out there, including things you'd be using anyways, so that the Avatar should be able to double fine…

On the other hand, that same Speed Tonic could allow Diviner Corrin to double stuff that Dark Mage Corrin can't double even with it...

What exactly does Diviner Corrin need tonics to double? I was under the impression that is was fast enough to double reliably without them. Am I wrong to assume this?

Edited by Mango Giamatti

^ This.

i think they did balance badly, now every str. unit is dominating, honestly.

Tomes have less mt now, after capping some characters Mages will have hard time dealing much damage.

Story-wise? Tomes aren't op but they are usefull on most of enemies which is good. Someone with great magic growth (elise, nyx, leo?) will still deal good amout of damage, but i'm afraid only story-wise.