Any love for the original FE1?

OliKad

It's a fun thing to play for novelty but I can't think of anything it has over Shadow Dragon.

No sidequest bulls***!

FE1 was good for what it was when it came out, so when you consider that, it's not a "bad" game no matter how much time goes by. Just because today's gaming standards are different, I don't think FE1 is worse now. When comparing FE games, you also have to take platforms into account, because you can't just say "this is outdated so it's bad". I can see why people might get frustrated with the early mechanics, but as it is overall, it's a good game.

I wouldn't say Marth's games are my favorite at all, but FE1 is still special to me in some way. Tbh when I compare FE1 and FE11 with the gaming platforms they're on and the time period they came out, I can probably agree FE1 was better. I can understand people saying it's hard, because NES and SNES had pretty hard (not even just referring to FE here. Both consoles had some pretty challenging titles), games, but like you said, that makes each won chapter feel that much better.

It's not that it's bad, it's just mostly forgotten by time and overwhelmed by the newer releases' popularity. It's still a treasure to this series and the people who actually know it generally don't call it bad from my experience.

I've only played the DS remake of this game, but would you guys recommend buying this too?

On my Japanese my Nintendo account, this is on sale for ¥257 on the 3DS eShop so I'm thinking of getting it. I have purchased Gaiden before already and I've warmed up to the game and enjoy playing through it now.

If you liked Gqiden, you'll probably enjoy the original too -) So yes, give it a shot - if you can understand Japanese, that is.

If you liked Gqiden, you'll probably enjoy the original too -) So yes, give it a shot - if you can understand Japanese, that is.

Alright thanks, I'll give it a shot!

I know a decent amount of Japanese and played through New Mystery in Japanese and am currently playing through various Japanese FE games too.

Played through the first chapter and I've been enjoying it so far.

Edited by yokokazuo

Alright thanks, I'll give it a shot!

I know a decent amount of Japanese and played through New Mystery in Japanese and am currently playing through various Japanese FE games too.

Played through the first chapter and I've been enjoying it so far.

Nice to hear that! Gaiden is a game that also gets a lot of hate, sadly...

Nice to hear that! Gaiden is a game that also gets a lot of hate, sadly...

Ya, they definitely show their age and Gaiden is quite a bit different from other FE games. I didn't really like Gaiden very much when I first played it, but after playing it for awhile I have come to enjoy it quite a bit.

I think it is kind of like Zelda II as well. It is so different from other Zelda games that I didn't really like it at first (and it is pretty difficult), but after I played it for awhile I enjoy playing it a lot.

To be honest, the only thing I can really remember it for is its funny looking portraits. I can remember watching a LP for it about ~three months ago and I can't remember much about the story, gameplay or characters. There's also the various memes that the Shay.min LP created, but they can't really be attributed to the game itself. I might give it a try eventually though because I'm kinda curious about what the game that started the series is like.

Edited by Matt-hue

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that of all the flaws in FE1, no one points out the lack of crit avoid. I love FE1 to death, but screw every enemy having a crit rate! It's the only thing that scares me now during late game.

Still, this is actually my favorite FE game for some reason. It's probably my affinity for 8-bit.

Currently, I'm on Chapter 20. Funnily enough, that's the farthest I got in Shadow Dragon. I beat it at the cost of Minerva...then Chapter 21 happened and I was still traumatized by FE3 Book 2:3 (Book 2, Chapter 3, in case anyone's confused) and instantly quit my playthrough. Stupid Dracoknights...