Why do you like Ryoma?

please see luminescentblade dot tumblr dot com slash tagged slash lobster trashbin

I don't need to repeat myself when I already wrote quite a bit on this matter

Also since I don't have any writings on this bit but I think he's a dumbshit dense log who apologises too much and I'm going to make fun of him forever like I do all my favs (who are mostly dumbshit dense logs I have a type) I was going through his supports for the last two days again and I liveblogged making fun of him

Then I called him best bro so it's even

Edited by Thor Odinson

I've seen a lot of people like Ryoma. I love him too, but I want to know why so many people love him.

Strange, I see way more people like Xander, Camilla, and Takumi... I don't see many people like Ryoma at all. It made me sad...

But I love him so far because he looks really cool and seems like a badass!

Mmm... I'm a big fan of Conquest!Ryoma, particularly, mostly bc it's nice to see an FE staple character like him actually out of his element. And he's got some supports I like, too. There are also a few traits associated with his character that I'm rather partial to... but I kinda can't remember if they're canon canon or more fan theory-y so I dunno if that counts. And he's a good unit. That usually helps.

Not exactly one of my favorite characters as a whole, but he's definitely one of my favorite enemy royals and I certainly do like him. I would agree with the sentiment though that, at least as far as the royals go, poor guy's one of the less mentioned ones.

Mmm... I'm a big fan of Conquest!Ryoma, particularly, mostly bc it's nice to see an FE staple character like him actually out of his element. And he's got some supports I like, too. There are also a few traits associated with his character that I'm rather partial to... but I kinda can't remember if they're canon canon or more fan theory-y so I dunno if that counts. And he's a good unit. That usually helps.

Which ones? I spend a lot of time reading and analyzing Ryouma dialogue so I can probably tell you if it's canon or fan-theory-y or somewhere in between (fan theory extracted from texual support).

His design irks me. It's a bit too flashy for my tastes. I won't go into further detail about my opinions simply because I respect that this is a temple of his adoring fans, ahaha.

Yeah, out with you're blasphemy. :p.

On a serious note, i used to have this same opinion:I originally found his design a bit alienating to Fire Emblem, and just over the top. I am not sure exactly when I started to like Ryoma,I think it was when I started watching an english patch playthrough for Fates (which would make sense, as I was Nohrian until I started watching the playthroughs.)

I like flashy so he's right in my element haha

As a character designer with a blingy style, I can say drawing a lot of extra detailing just feels satisfying

Of course then I draw other people's blingy-ass designs and my hands hurt it's always more fun when you're the one coming up with the things

But I also have most of Ryouma's design memorized anyway so it's okay now

Edited by Thor Odinson

For whatever reason I haven't looked into the Hoshido characters with as much focus as I've looked into the Nohr characters. This is kind of amusing and kind of frustrating, since I'm starting with Birthright. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that each Nohr character seems to have some little flaw that makes me want to unravel and understand them, whereas (to be clear, we're talking in big, broad brushstrokes here!!) every Hoshido character seems to be honorable, noble, stand up, good, etc. which leaves me thinking "Okay, next!" because it leaves them with nothing to prove. The only exception I can think of is Takumi, and even his jerkface attitude toward Kamui / Corrin and Azura is understandable given their backgrounds.

As overall casts, the Hoshido characters make me think of something like Stargate, where you pretty much know where the key characters stand, while Nohr reminds me more of Farscape, where the characters have layers and can bend and shift and might be good here but bad there. Makes for much more interesting characters. And (again, I may be 100% wrong and Ryoma may surprise me with interesting depth) Ryoma is Hoshido's good-guy poster child. In life you want to meet, see, and be around the 'good guy' since it's not the whole of the person (people are made up of varying shades of gray), but in fiction you want to see the cracks in the jar or the fringe on the rug, because if you don't it's very possible that isn't there and that can lead to weak character design.

With all that said, I'm not counting Ryoma (or anyone else from Hoshido) out. But I'm not convinced that he's going to be as intriguing as Xander, either. We shall see.