[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

Is there really a need for concern about "switching between restore and unrestored saves" when it comes to Amie and the fan translation. I can understand the bikinis since it would on a nearly constant basis be trying to access something that isn't there but with Amie and Fan trans that content is not constantly accessed. Of course I have zero programming knowledge so I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm kind of guessing that's more just a disclaimer than anything in those cases?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there really a need for concern about "switching between restore and unrestored saves" when it comes to Amie and the fan translation. I can understand the bikinis since it would on a nearly constant basis be trying to access something that isn't there but with Amie and Fan trans that content is not constantly accessed. Of course I have zero programming knowledge so I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm kind of guessing that's more just a disclaimer than anything in those cases?

Yes. And we don't want to be responsible for it. (Not that we are, but we'd still rather not be a source of the problem).

It's highly inadvisable to modify your actual physical cart. It's just not a good idea, and if you can dump the game and edit that instead, why would you risk the integrity of the cart when you could just modify an exact copy that's designed to be a "sandbox" of sorts?

Oh, I was talking about the 3ds mod to allow downgrading on >10.3, not changing the actual game cart. I don't even know if the latter's actually possible, if it is there's no way I'd want to try it.

Yeah, it's a disclaimer. Considering as Amie and the name changes wouldn't affect anything in your save file (and thus nothing from them would get carried over between sessions), it's probably OK, but it's almost impossible to know for sure and there's no way the team wants to be responsible for someone's save getting messed up (there was some weirdness involving the support gallery not properly updating when changing between versions of the JP patch, for example). So try it at your own risk, preferably with a file you don't care much about.

If I load my hard copy fates on my old 3ds with hans and play with the swimsuits and skinshipping but did not save afterwards and load the game on my new 3ds without hans, would the risk of messing up the save files decrease?

If I load my hard copy fates on my old 3ds with hans and play with the swimsuits and skinshipping but did not save afterwards and load the game on my new 3ds without hans, would the risk of messing up the save files decrease?

I think the risk will decrease if you don't save with the patch.

Edited by thedude28

One thing I wanted to ask, not related to Fates, but for Awakening, since the skilled people are over here.

Would it be possible to replace the censored Tharja summer photo with the original, and to fix the bug where the dual-audio option reverts to English on bootup?

For the latter, I know the EU version doesn't have the dual-audio bug.

Edited by Jacien

One thing I wanted to ask, not related to Fates, but for Awakening, since the skilled people are over here.

Would it be possible to replace the censored Tharja summer photo with the original, and to fix the bug where the dual-audio option reverts to English on bootup?

For the Tharja picture, that'd be relatively easy so to speak, but it'd require CFW as you're patching DLC.

For the Dual Audio bug, I'd have to somehow obtain a romfs of the EUR version to compare it vs the USA version and see what changed, although if I find out what file is responsible for that, we could in theory just copy/paste the file from the EUR version to the USA version, however, if this is handled in code.bin things get real complicated real fast.

For now, I just took the audio files and swapped them around, making the JPN dub the default and the ENG one the alt.

Edited by DeathChaos25

Possibly. But I take responsibility for nothing that happens if it does anyway.

For the CG, I assume it would, but would also require custom .cia stuff since DLC. The dual-audio thing deals with code and not assets, so I have no idea what it would take to fix that- though personal experience says it's less of a hassle to toggle the audio every time you return to the main menu than it is to load Homebrew every time you want to play the game.

For the Tharja picture, that'd be relatively easy so to speak, but it'd require CFW as you're patching DLC.

For the Dual Audio bug, I'd have to somehow obtain a romfs of the EUR version to compare it vs the USA version and see what changed, although if I find out what file is responsible for that, we could in theory just copy/paste the file from the EUR version to the USA version, however, if this is handled in code.bin things get real complicated real fast.

For now, I just took the audio files and swapped them around, making the JPN dub the default and the ENG one the alt.

Oh, I like that idea. Just swapping the audio files, much simpler and easier solution than fiddling with code.. And CFW is no big deal, as I already have my N3DS set up, fully unlinked EmuNAND on 10.6.

Sometime later I'd love to learn how to set the patches up. I'm waiting for the patch tutorial so I'm holding off on doing anything (also FFXIV has me by the balls lol).

What would you need to get a romfs of the EUR version? Dumping of the cart?

personal experience says it's less of a hassle to toggle the audio every time you return to the main menu than it is to load Homebrew every time you want to play the game.

Lol, that's so true. It became automatic of me on each bootup.

Edited by Jacien

So uh, new to this site, looks pretty cool by the way. Very noob question but, is there a tutorial on how to apply this patch with Homebrew? Have a 10.3 Old 3DS with Hombrew but not 100% sure if I need to downgrade or I can still play it on my firmware just have to re-patch every time. Can I get a link to the tutorial if there is one?

So uh, new to this site, looks pretty cool by the way. Very noob question but, is there a tutorial on how to apply this patch with Homebrew? Have a 10.3 Old 3DS with Hombrew but not 100% sure if I need to downgrade or I can still play it on my firmware just have to re-patch every time. Can I get a link to the tutorial if there is one?

There's not currently a tutorial, but one is being written. also, in order to patch dlc (including downloaded paths or even a digital copy) you'd need to downgrade to 9.2 and install a CFW. if you're just trying to patch what's on your cart if you have one then you can just use HANS from the homebrew menu to temporarily patch the game whenever you play.

A tutorial is in the works. (I would recommend downgrading if you hate repatching and want online features.)

The dual-audio thing deals with code and not assets, so I have no idea what it would take to fix that- though personal experience says it's less of a hassle to toggle the audio every time you return to the main menu than it is to load Homebrew every time you want to play the game.

On first playthrough of Awakening, the Data Wipe option is right next to the Audio option which from experience has made that automatic procedure suddenly very, very risky if you're not paying attention.

Also wondering the team is working on putting the Swimsuit patch back into NA order over JP order, as I don't remember this being explicitly confirmed in the thread. I want to know if I should wait for that to be done during my first playthrough of Fates and hold off buying the accessory shop until then, or if I should just mess with the patch as is for my next playthrough.

So i have 2 questions

1) I keep seeing the word temporary thrown around. When y'all say that, does that mean every time i go to homebrew, then hans, then launch the game, i have to "patch" the game repeatedly between each time i turn my game on and off?

2) I saw someone ask around page 16~20 and used search function but couldn't find so i'll ask again. This "name" restoration patch applies to only the characters and their romanji names right?

I was looking at the name chart on the fates page and i saw there were like 5 categories. Names, classes, items, skills, and other. I like the names but not all the classes (Swordmaster appeals to my eyes better than Trueblade and Oni Chieftain as opposed to Shura) As far as items, skills, and other section go i guess without the being mean part all i can say is that some of the names are way too "word-y" or long. (no offense to the hard-working translators)

1) I keep seeing the word temporary thrown around. When y'all say that, does that mean every time i go to homebrew, then hans, then launch the game, i have to "patch" the game repeatedly between each time i turn my game on and off?

You don't need to downgrade if you have 10.3. You need to set up Homebrew and then you launch the game through Homebrew with the patch using HANS. This is because the you have the game cart and the patch is a seperate file you have on your SD card, so HANS has to apply the patch to your physical cart every time you launch it. You need to use HANS every time you want to play with the patch, it adds about 10 seconds to startup time I'd say.

This tutorial is for the fan translation patch, I'm guessing the restoration patch can be applied in the same manner but replacing the appropriate files. (Restoration team, correct me if I am wrong).

Edited by XaosLogos

You don't need to downgrade if you have 10.3. You need to set up Homebrew and then you launch the game through Homebrew with the patch using HANS. This is because the you have the game cart and the patch is a seperate file you have on your SD card, so HANS has to apply the patch to your physical cart every time you launch it. You need to use HANS every time you want to play with the patch, it adds about 10 seconds to startup time I'd say.

This tutorial is for the fan translation patch, I'm guessing the restoration patch can be applied in the same manner but replacing the appropriate files. (Restoration team, correct me if I am wrong).

I'd like to know as well to be honest.

EDIT* Actually it's just replace and repatch the older files with the same method in the video. Nevermind.

Edited by SniperBear

I agree that I'd prefer only some of the class names be delocalized (Sky Knight, I'm looking at you. You spit in the face of tradition), but I'm sure you can pick and choose in this case. It'll just require a bit more work on your part.

Edited by Merik2013

IMPORTANT:

It is suggested that a fresh save be used for any content restoration patch, as the game is accessing content previously unavailable, players may experience problems with their new content going to and from patched/unpatched; Also, do not use any content restorations online, this could lead to either bans from Nintendo, or you could possibly crash other player's games.

I feel we should test what patches can cause crashes online with people (aka only people who use the software since friend codes exist) on the board because I doubt a fan translate patch and undub patch would cause any problems online if system is up to date using hans through (oo3dhax/smashhax/ninjahax)

Well at least not crash for other person at least.

Edited by codeseeker

Is there any way to change the name of a character in a save file? I'm actually thinking of hopping from the Japanese SE to the American SE once this patch gets more updates, but right now when I inject the save my avatar's name (written in Japanese) just shows up as "??".

Actually, would running the game with the Japanese language plugin make the name work? I should try.

I feel we should test what patches can cause crashes online with people (aka only people who use the software since friend codes exist) on the board because I doubt a fan translate patch and undub patch would cause any problems online if system is up to date using hans through (oo3dhax/smashhax/ninjahax)

Well at least not crash for other person at least.

Its the swimsuit accessories that specifically can cause people visiting your my castle or playing you online to crash. The reason for this is that when they encounter a character in one of the swimsuits their game will try to page an item reference id that doesn't exist in their copy of the game, which in turn causes their system to crash. There's not really a way to fix this so its best just not to assign them to your my castle or avoid online altogether if you decide to use the swimsuits. A fair work around is to simply make sure that all the swimsuits are removed from your characters (all of them, not just your defenders) when you update your my castle or play a match against someone online. Doing that much should be safe.

Its the swimsuit accessories that specifically can cause people visiting your my castle or playing you online to crash. The reason for this is that when they encounter a character in one of the swimsuits their game will try to page an item reference id that doesn't exist in their copy of the game, which in turn causes their system to crash. There's not really a way to fix this so its best just not to assign them to your my castle or avoid online altogether if you decide to use the swimsuits. A fair work around is to simply make sure that all the swimsuits are removed from your characters (all of them, not just your defenders) when you update your my castle or play a match against someone online. Doing that much should be safe.

The problem with the "Just don't use the swimsuits online" approach is that as the swimsuit patch exists now, it actually changed the accessory ID order to the Japanese version rather than the American one. Best case scenario there would be that people see your characters wearing weird combos of stuff, worst case is that it'll crash their game because it uses bad IDs or other complications. It would be best to hold off of online play entirely with accessories until a second version of the patch comes out that puts it into the American order, thereby making it online-friendly if you don't play online with swimsuits. I'm not sure if this is an If or When scenario, though, because I haven't seen follow-up saying that they intend to work on it when it was brought up.

The problem with the "Just don't use the swimsuits online" approach is that as the swimsuit patch exists now,

Oh god. I can see the headlines now:

"TEAM IF RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN ONLINE PLAY IN FIRE EMBLEM?"

"LATEST FIRE EMBLEM CRASHING DUE SULTRY BIKINIS, TEAM IF DECLINING TO COMMENT!"

"TEAM IF SETS BIKINIS FREE, LOCKS DOWN FIRE EMBLEM MULTIPLAYER."

The patch affects individual saves, right? So if i copy my save file and play around with that one, then the original save file would be unharmed, correct?

sorry for asking things like these.. i don't temper with my 3ds much so im just asking just to make sure and be safe.

I'm not sure if this is an If or When scenario, though, because I haven't seen follow-up saying that they intend to work on it when it was brought up.

Right now it's neither, as it's unknown if they even can be rearranged. I'm not concerned and don't wish to rush them, as FFXIV is taking up all my time anyway lol.