[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

Hi guys. Just joined to ask this question: If I just install the undub patch, that won't require me to start a new game or anything will it? It's just changing sound files I'd have thought so I don't think it would but I'm just making sure. Also, is this a cia I put on the 3DS' SD card and apply to an already installed game? Do I have to use HANS even just for the undub and will the undub work on digital versions of the game? I know you talk about this in the OP and linked documents but I don't know if that's for the restoration as a whole and wouldn't affect me just installing the undub.

Edited by Matroska

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. Just joined to ask this question: If I just install the undub patch, that won't require me to start a new game or anything will it? It's just changing sound files I'd have thought so I don't think it would but I'm just making sure. Also, is this a cia I put on the 3DS' SD card and apply to an already installed game? Do I have to use HANS even just for the undub and will the undub work on digital versions of the game? I know you talk about this in the OP and linked documents but I don't know if that's for the restoration as a whole and wouldn't affect me just installing the undub.

It's possible to make HANS work on digital versions; that was discussed somewhere back (but it's pretty hard).

A .cia is basically a rom that's as if you downloaded it from the eshop - you'll need to install it using something like fbi or bbm in your emunand (and then restore your game saves). (A .cia is NOT like an update file to an existing game).

You can choose between using HANS (which is homebrew and doesn't require an emunand) and an emunand, but if you have a digital copy, installing a emunand and then the cia is basically the easier path to go. (You'll need to pick one if you want to use the undub).

Make sure you backup your saves anyways.

Note: The fanslation is still a WIP. Please report any errors to the error log.

Does this mean there are still some untranslated text, or does this just mean that it's unpolished?

Edited by Cabbage

Does this mean there are still some untranslated text, or does this just mean that it's unpolished?

Both. The fanslation is still a WIP for the most part, meaning that there is both untranslated text (in that case it switches to the localized script or gives you other errors like question marks), and that it's very unpolished due to being mostly a copy-paste of the script from the Japanese Fan Translation project. This can lead to a ton of errors due to the US and Japanese versions of the game using different fonts and coding for the dialogue. One big one I remember is that Chapter 13 of Birthright after the intro is ridded with question marks galore in the dialogue due to, again, untranslated stuff from the original version that the team never got around to. I'd advise to take caution using the delocalized scripts for the time being and report any errors you find to the error log.

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out here. Whenever I try to dump my Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest digital version, my 3DS freezes with a red screen on bottom. I have tried using multiple versions of Braindump, but nothing has worked so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the EU versions of the game, firmware is 11.0. Can I use HANS to patch the game? I don't want do downgrade (is this even possible?).

Thanks

Yes. As long as you have a way to use homebrew, you can use HANS.

Edited by Linkmstr

Hi there,

I'd gladly get some help since the homebrew exploit of browserhax is actually working on 11.0 (so no cfw for me sadly) and i actually could manage to use hans but I encounter a problem with all of the patchs i could partially use, first the undub and also the gay fates hack.

I'm going through a lot of tutorials, doing all the things that have been said, carefully, that means doing the braindump, extract the files and then put in the patch and build everything again and put it back into my hans folder and naming it with the conquest european version (that i got through hans surely) and still while putting my sd back and launch hans it has been written many times that my romfs is invalid. I don't really know what's going on,

but first a few failed solutions :

• Naming the romfs files by his 8 last numbers (hoped hardcore but nah)

• Using menuhax instead of homebrew aaa maybe but no

• 'realized i didn't put the good files in the right folder since my region is european and the patch (undub one) folder that i needed to replace "@E" had a different name it was "@U" on my extracted files, so i changed the patch folder name that means E to U i guess? And replaced. It could have possibly worked but no! I also tried to put the hack in the @F since it's my language and still it's not working~

• this boot for new games i guess, dunno?

• desesperate act, formating all my sd card and do all the steps again

EDIT : tried without using any patches just built it without anything and still hans see it as a invalid romfs patch.. so something is wrong when i dump it with braindump or it's my hans causing problems?

I'm listening to everything and anything, i just wanna know if i'm not the only one encountering this and if people actually managed to get through it. Any future help is appreciated~ thank you. (unless that sorry for the bad english)

Edited by Ares

Hey,

I have a similar problem like Ares. Still trying to patch my EU game with hans, firmware is 11.0, old 3DS. Every time I want to start the game with hans, I only get a black screen and nothing happens. I did all the steps from the tutorias and the path is not invalid. But when I click OK in hans, I get the black screen. Tried both Conquest and Birthright with the same results. What could cause this problem?

I will describe what exactly I did.

1. Downloaded homebrew starter pack, extracted the data and copied them on an unused SD card. Also created a new folder called “hans” on SD card.

2. Downloaded an old version of Braindump from link in tutorial. Extracted the data and copied the files into “3ds” folder from starter pack inside the SD card.

3. Inserted the SD card and my FE fates Birthright into my 3DS. Used browserhax to reach homebrew.

4. Started hans, chose Romfs -> SD “yes” and noted Romfs path which was sd:/hans/00179500.romfs

5. Then I launched Braindump and selected my game. It started dumping.

6. When finished I put the SD card into my PC. I copied the new folder “0004000000179500” with romfs and exefs inside to my PC and extracted the data from romfs with RomFSExtractor. That created the folder “romfs_”

7. Downloaded the undub patch from OP and extracted the data. I copied the content of the “rom” folder from patch to the romfs_ folder, overwriting the files with the same names which were already there. Because I have the EU version, I copied the file from “@E” folder to @F, @G, @I, @S and @U.

8. I started RomFSBuilder and chose the the patched romfs_ folder, then clicked Go. When asked I named the new file “00179500.romfs” (see step 4)

9. I copied the the newly created file into the empty hans folder on SD card and inserted it into 3DS, the game still inside.

10. Went into homebrew and started HANS. Again chose Romfs -> SD “yes”. It didn’t say the path is invalid. Then I clicked OK, but nothing happened. I only got a black screen.

I tried the same thing a few times, even with Conquest, but nothing changed. I don’t know what else I could do. Please, I need help.

Thanks

Edited by Sackhu

Hey,

I have a similar problem like Ares. Still trying to patch my EU game with hans, firmware is 11.0, old 3DS. Every time I want to start the game with hans, I only get a black screen and nothing happens. I did all the steps from the tutorias and the path is not invalid. But when I click OK in hans, I get the black screen. Tried both Conquest and Birthright with the same results. What could cause this problem?

I will describe what exactly I did.

1. Downloaded homebrew starter pack, extracted the data and copied them on an unused SD card. Also created a new folder called “hans” on SD card.

2. Downloaded an old version of Braindump from link in tutorial. Extracted the data and copied the files into “3ds” folder from starter pack inside the SD card.

3. Inserted the SD card and my FE fates Birthright into my 3DS. Used browserhax to reach homebrew.

4. Started hans, chose Romfs -> SD “yes” and noted Romfs path which was sd:/hans/00179500.romfs

5. Then I launched Braindump and selected my game. It started dumping.

6. When finished I put the SD card into my PC. I copied the new folder “0004000000179500” with romfs and exefs inside to my PC and extracted the data from romfs with RomFSExtractor. That created the folder “romfs_”

7. Downloaded the undub patch from OP and extracted the data. I copied the content of the “rom” folder from patch to the romfs_ folder, overwriting the files with the same names which were already there. Because I have the EU version, I copied the file from “@E” folder to @F, @G, @I, @S and @U.

8. I started RomFSBuilder and chose the the patched romfs_ folder, then clicked Go. When asked I named the new file “00179500.romfs” (see step 4)

9. I copied the the newly created file into the empty hans folder on SD card and inserted it into 3DS, the game still inside.

10. Went into homebrew and started HANS. Again chose Romfs -> SD “yes”. It didn’t say the path is invalid. Then I clicked OK, but nothing happened. I only got a black screen.

I tried the same thing a few times, even with Conquest, but nothing changed. I don’t know what else I could do. Please, I need help.

Thanks

Here's where you messed up: You do not create a new hans folder at the root of your SD. Instead, you copy and paste the hans folder from your 3ds directory onto the root of your SD. By creating a new hans folder, you do not have the essential files to run hans with, which are

• hans.3dsx
  • hans.smdh
  • hans.xml
  • a titles folder

Without these, hans will not run and will give you a black screen similar to what you experienced. Try my suggestion and see if it helps. :)

@ galaxygamr98

Thank you for your response, but unfortunately it didn't help.

First I copied and pasted the hans folder from 3ds folder onto the root of SD card and also moved the 00179500.romfs file into this hans folder. Now there were hans.3dsx, hans.smdh, hans.xml, 00179500.romfs and the titles folder in hans. The second hans folder with same content except 00179500.romfs remained in the 3ds folder. With this I started hans, but I got the same black screen as before.

I then delated the second hans folder in 3ds and tried again, but as ecpected hans disappeared from homebrew menu, so I couldn't start it.

Any other ideas?

@ galaxygamr98

Thank you for your response, but unfortunately it didn't help.

First I copied and pasted the hans folder from 3ds folder onto the root of SD card and also moved the 00179500.romfs file into this hans folder. Now there were hans.3dsx, hans.smdh, hans.xml, 00179500.romfs and the titles folder in hans. The second hans folder with same content except 00179500.romfs remained in the 3ds folder. With this I started hans, but I got the same black screen as before.

I then delated the second hans folder in 3ds and tried again, but as ecpected hans disappeared from homebrew menu, so I couldn't start it.

Any other ideas?

Hmm... Since you did delete the Hans folder from the 3ds directory, it would seem that it did disappear. But it didn't. All you have to do is when you enter the homebrew launcher, press the B button to back out of the 3DS directory, and it should take you to the root of your SD, where your current Hans folder is located. Scroll down until you find it, and try launching and starting your game from there instead.

I didn't know I can go back to the root. I could find and launch hans from there, but still not start the game. As always, when I click OK in hans to start the game, first there appear some lines on the bottom screen, then some lines on the upper screen (so fast that I can't read them), then a vertical white beam on the left side of upper screen, then only black screen and I have to turn off the power of the 3DS :(

Wouldn't it be easier to just translate the japanese game and use that version? That way you don't have to mod the cut content in.

Yeah, but not everyone has or wants to get the Japanese version. This way by adding in the removed content manually, people can pick and choose what they want in their game without spending any more money than needed. e.g. if I just wanted the Japanese voices I would grab the Undub part. If I wanted the swimsuit options restored I would grab that. Or if I wanted everything (save the amie minigame) I could do so. People with the American version aren't screwed this way, and aren't forced to find the Japanese release JUST so that they can play the game uncut (cause that's bullshit).

Edited by galaxygamr98