[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

Yeah, this is the plan exactly. My main concern is that I can't figure out how or when to backup Fire Emblem Fates and by extension Triforce Heroes. The issue with these two games is they're using the +9.6 encryption and SVDT can't back up their save data. It just soft locks with a red lower screen the moment those games in particular are selected. Just for reference, I've have no problem backing up all my other games sans streetpass plaza for other reasons altogether. This problem is particularly distressing considering the situation. My understanding is that I'd need a CFW in order to get better save managers that can bypass this encryption, but the videos I've seen on installing CFWs seem to indicate that the sd card will need to be reformatted during the process which makes that kind of hard. I'm in need of some good advice on how to solve this dilemma.

You won't need to back up anything if you do everything right. I know you want to back it up, but yes you'd need to need to get CFW in order to get a better Save data manager.

For this Patch, I'm planning to use both physicals since I'll never get the SE. So I assume revelations is not loaded through the home menu but rather from one of the games, right? Will there be a revelations patch for both games?

Also, I must be SOL since I'm above 9.2 (at 9.9), so I won't be able to get any dlc, huh? I can just wait for Gateway's 10.3 support and use FBI to get revelations?

Sorry for all the questions by the way. If the above is considered piracy and cannot be answered, then I suppose I can ask: once GW supports 10.3, I can emunand to access the eshop, yeah?

No at that point Revelations becomes DLC as only the SE has Revelations on the cart.

If you're on 9.9, you can downgrade to 9.2 and then get CFW from there.

Gateway does "support" 10.3, but what they really mean is that you still need to downgrade from 9.9 down to 9.2.

I'm also pretty sure Gateway supports the Emunand Firmware as well.

Edited by thedude28

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't need to back up anything if you do everything right. I know you want to back it up, but yes you'd need to need to get CFW in order to get a better Save data manager.

Its my understanding that setting up the CFW requires formatting the sd card at one point. If I just copy over what I have on my computer after that it'll work as normal? Just to be clear, I'm talking about saves from digital copies.

Edited by Merik2013

Its my understanding that setting up the CFW requires formatting the sd card at one point. If I just copy over what I have on my computer after that it'll work as normal? Just to be clear, I'm talking about saves from digital copies.

Yup, you have to format the SD card at one point. And I think when you format emunand, the only thing that stays is the Nintendo 3DS folder. But it never hurts to back up the files on the SD card.

For your other question though, I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes until you unlink your NANDs.

Yup, you have to format the SD card at one point. And I think when you format emunand, the only thing that stays is the Nintendo 3DS folder. But it never hurts to back up the files on the SD card.

For your other question though, I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes until you unlink your NANDs.

So I should be able to make those backups with the cfw I need if I do it before I unlink the nands. That way I can restore them after the wipe.

This sounds like the accessory IDs were shifted around to match the Japanese version.

Japanese Item ID list: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=6440

US Item ID list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bem9eu9IAEBm7d6PBZhtddDnDUnLpdoZ7ddenFSURmw/edit#gid=1077677946 (Unsure if it's entirely correct, because the ones in pink are untested)

Towels in English version are 0x37, in the Japanese version 0x37 is "Sexy Swimwear", localization calls it "Bold Swimsuit."

Love bracelets in English version are 0x3B, in Japanese version, 0x3B is "Shell Swimsuit", localization calls it "Seashell Suit"

So when DeathChaos added in the swimsuits it caused things to flip around like that.

If possible, I think it'd be best to leave alone the original order of the accessory values in the localization as is, and instead use the missing 3D to 40 like so:

3D: Bold Swimsuit (JP: Sexy Swimwear)
3E: Tropical Suit (JP: Flower Swimsuit)
3F: Dark Robe (JP: Dark Garb)
40: Seashell Suit (JP: Shell Swimsuit)
That way it doesn't interfere with the natural order when running the game without the patch.
EDIT: Added in more info.

Is the noticethat "values 3D, 3E, 3F, & 40 freeze game..." in the localized version mean that those values will freeze the unpatched game as is or that it will freeze the game if a patched version were to try to use those values? Also is this an easy thing to change in a hex editor? I haven't seen any of the staff address this so I'm not sure if they'll make this change themselves.

Hello, I want to update from 10.5 to 10.6 but the Browser Hax exploit will stop working for me. So I'm thinking of buying a physical copy of Ocarina of Time so I can still have an entry point. Will I still be able to access the homebrew at 10.6 this way?

Hello, I want to update from 10.5 to 10.6 but the Browser Hax exploit will stop working for me. So I'm thinking of buying a physical copy of Ocarina of Time so I can still have an entry point. Will I still be able to access the homebrew at 10.6 this way?

Yes, you should stay on 10.5 until you have the hax on the OoT cart. Then you can update.

Are you guys still planning on releasing the name changing patch by the end of this week?

Also, are you going to change the names for the third path when it comes out?

More or less.

And we already have the third path :^)

Just to double confirm this but, I made an account just to ask this question, since the homebrew website has nothing on this.

My 3DS is the old 3DS, 1st generation model. I updated it to the latest firmware, v10.6 or whatever, the latest official firmware to this date. I also have a digital download copy of fire emblem fates: conquest, but with the birthright DLC attached onto it.

Now my question is, can I still install homebrew onto my 3DS? And if I can, can I patch the game rom?

I know there's a list around here somewhere. I thought it was in the OP of the other thread, but I guess it got moved. One of the team members should have it.

And there's a looot more to being a translator than names. Being able to read names takes about a week to learn. Being able to accurately do a narrative takes years of experience.

Meh, maybe being a little harsh, but I felt like venting a bit. I gotta do it sometime, right?

Either way, I guess the answer to my original question is the Fan Name column in the name chart isn't what the fan translation uses? Meh, I guess I'll try to find that list somewhere, unless someone can pop on and give me a link or something.

Can you have the patch on DLC with the latest firmware? Or is a downgrade ABSOLUTELY necessary?

To patch the DLC itself, a downgrade is absolutely necessary at the moment. However, some patches don't actually access any DLC content, so the actual necessity of downgrading itself is questionable.

Meh, maybe being a little harsh, but I felt like venting a bit. I gotta do it sometime, right?

Either way, I guess the answer to my original question is the Fan Name column in the name chart isn't what the fan translation uses? Meh, I guess I'll try to find that list somewhere, unless someone can pop on and give me a link or something.

Well, please don't do it here. This is a support thread, not a vent thread, and even angry venting is not justifiable.

As to the names we use, we simply used the names that everyone was most familiar with months prior to the release of Fire Emblem: If.

And to agree with Czar_Yoshi's statement, it's true. A notable amount of fan-translations these days use machine translation, not real translation. Every translator on our team human translates, we have turned down machine-based translators before. (Heck, translation also requires knowledge of Japanese culture. Machines don't have that. And you don't need it for names.)

Is the notice that "values 3D, 3E, 3F, & 40 freeze game..." in the localized version mean that those values will freeze the unpatched game as is or that it will freeze the game if a patched version were to try to use those values? Also is this an easy thing to change in a hex editor? I haven't seen any of the staff address this so I'm not sure if they'll make this change themselves.

That's referring to the localized version, no extra patches. Since Treehouse decided to remove them last second, the Accessory IDs do nothing, instead they freeze the game.

Death Chaos's patch makes all the Accessory IDs usable, but the order is the same as the Japanese version. Most items are the same ID, but a few are switched around.

This gives me some concerns:

- When going from patch to unpatched, some accessories will be swapped around, which is what happened to RikuDawn.

- If players see your units, they'll see different accessories than what you think you have, and I'm curious how this would affect gameplay. Like your patched game thinks it has the Dark Robe (JP: 0x3A) equipped, but someone else's non-patched game thinks it's the Hoshido Crown (US: 0x3A).

- If the Accessory IDs 3D to 40 were loaded into someone else's game, would that cause a crash the same way if they were to attempt to assign that value?

That's referring to the localized version, no extra patches. Since Treehouse decided to remove them last second, the Accessory IDs do nothing, instead they freeze the game.

Death Chaos's patch makes all the Accessory IDs usable, but the order is the same as the Japanese version. Most items are the same ID, but a few are switched around.

This gives me some concerns:

- When going from patch to unpatched, some accessories will be swapped around, which is what happened to RikuDawn.

- If players see your units, they'll see different accessories than what you think you have, and I'm curious how this would affect gameplay. Like your patched game thinks it has the Dark Robe (JP: 0x3A) equipped, but someone else's non-patched game thinks it's the Hoshido Crown (US: 0x3A).

- If the Accessory IDs 3D to 40 were loaded into someone else's game, would that cause a crash the same way if they were to attempt to assign that value?

As a rule of thumb, if you have inaccessible content, never use Multiplayer functions, this will either cause conflicts within your game or Flat out crash the other player's games.

For example, if I were to take my playable Chrom online, either the most likely result is that it'll crash the other player's games because Chrom's character ID in their game would lead to empty data, and thus the game wouldn't know what data it's supposed to use.

It is also suggested to use a clean new save for any content restoration patch because of the item swapping issue that happens when going to and from patch/unpatched.

Edited by DeathChaos25

So, I have a somewhat confusing situation. I have a N3DS on 10.6 firmware that I usually play all my games on (retail, no patches). This one is actually registered with my Nintendo account and everything. Also, I own an O3DS on 10.2, not affiliated with any account, that I managed to get Menuhax onto. So far, I've been using the O3DS to play my FE Fates Special Edition physical copy with an undub patch (via HANS) from another team. My end goal is to play the game with undub+Japanese names+fan translation, which I believe you guys will be doing, hence why I'm posting this here. I have a question though.

How will DLC work with your eventual patch(es)? I know HANS doesn't load the game with DLC, but I do want to access it. Also, I want the DLC to be attached to my Nintendo account. I hypothesize that the solution is that I will have to buy and download the DLC on my N3DS and play on that whenever I need to access DLC (and suffer Western translation and voices and such). My question is, will I be able to switch back afterwards to the O3DS with the patches if my save has DLC stuff on it?

EDIT - Other question. Since I'm not actually changing any item content, would my save file be safe from switching between my O3DS with patch and N3DS without patch?

Edited by kaisyrg