[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

So, I have a somewhat confusing situation. I have a N3DS on 10.6 firmware that I usually play all my games on (retail, no patches). This one is actually registered with my Nintendo account and everything. Also, I own an O3DS on 10.2, not affiliated with any account, that I managed to get Menuhax onto. So far, I've been using the O3DS to play my FE Fates Special Edition physical copy with an undub patch (via HANS) from another team. My end goal is to play the game with undub+Japanese names+fan translation, which I believe you guys will be doing, hence why I'm posting this here. I have a question though.

How will DLC work with your eventual patch(es)? I know HANS doesn't load the game with DLC, but I do want to access it. Also, I want the DLC to be attached to my Nintendo account. I hypothesize that the solution is that I will have to buy and download the DLC on my N3DS and play on that whenever I need to access DLC (and suffer Western translation and voices and such). My question is, will I be able to switch back afterwards to the O3DS with the patches if my save has DLC stuff on it?

EDIT - Other question. Since I'm not actually changing any item content, would my save file be safe from switching between my O3DS with patch and N3DS without patch?

Since your O3DS is at 10.2 you're in luck. Unfortunately its not he best luck. In order to patch the dlc (this includes the extra paths as the are dlc for all intents and purposes) you need to downgrade to 9.2 and install a custom firmware. Since your N3DS is at 10.6 it unfortunately can't do this without being hardmodded.

Here's a couple of video tutorials to get your started if you decide to go that route. note that these tutorials are meant for O3DS, not N3DS:

Also, be sure to make good use the links he provides in the description. This is a risky process and can ruin your system if you don't use caution.

Edited by Merik2013

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since your O3DS is at 10.2 you're in luck. Unfortunately its not he best luck. In order to patch the dlc (this includes the extra paths as the are dlc for all intents and purposes) you need to downgrade to 9.2 and install a custom firmware. Since your N3DS is at 10.6 it unfortunately can't do this without being hardmodded.

Here's a couple of video tutorials to get your started if you decide to go that route. note that these tutorials are meant for O3DS, not N3DS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqKZlcLNvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZMJXGtYos

Also, be sure to make good use the links he provides in the description. This is a risky process and can ruin your system if you don't use caution.

Thanks for the response!

I ultimately want to be able to have all my games, including FE Fates, on the same Nintendo account though, plus I'd rather be playing on a N3DS rather than an O3DS. I guess I'm really just asking if it's possible since I have a physical cartridge to swap back and forth whenever I do or don't want to play with DLC.

Thanks for the response!

I ultimately want to be able to have all my games, including FE Fates, on the same Nintendo account though, plus I'd rather be playing on a N3DS rather than an O3DS. I guess I'm really just asking if it's possible since I have a physical cartridge to swap back and forth whenever I do or don't want to play with DLC.

Well, patching the game with just homebrew makes use of HANS. HANS only patches the game temporarily and can't patch anything downloaded (A CFW however can patch everything directly including DLC and doesn't need HANS). That is, it only works on what's on a physical cart. You might be able to play that much on your N3DS, but there might be some weirdness with accessories due to the way the patch swaps the ids around. Nothing too serious though I'd imagine. Its actually a bit early to be able to tell the full extent of the consequences of using this patch to be honest.There's been a bit of discussion in this thread recently about that. As I alluded to earlier, if you want to downgrade your N3DS so you can install a CFW on that, you'll need to get it hardmodded. You can contact Hundshamer on GBAtemp for that. MrMario2011, who I linked earlier, also has separate tutorials for N3DS you can follow for downgrading/installing a CFW if you go through with the hardmodding.

Edited by Merik2013

Well, patching the game with just homebrew makes use of HANS. HANS only patches the game temporarily and can't patch anything downloaded (A CFW however can patch everything directly including DLC and doesn't need HANS). That is, it only works on what's on a physical cart. You might be able to play that much on your N3DS, but there might be some weirdness with accessories due to the way the patch swaps the ids around. Nothing too serious though I'd imagine. Its actually a bit early to be able to tell the full extent of the consequences of using this patch to be honest.There's been a bit of discussion in this thread recently about that. As I alluded to earlier, if you want to downgrade your N3DS so you can install a CFW on that, you'll need to get it hardmodded. You can contact Hundshamer on GBAtemp for that. MrMario2011, who I linked earlier, also has separate tutorials for N3DS you can follow for downgrading/installing a CFW if you go through with the hardmodding.

The thing is, the patches that I'm interested in shouldn't affect actual game items. I only want JP audio + JP names + fan translation. I don't care about removed accessories or face-rubbing or same-sex additions if they'll make it impossible to reconcile in the future.

The way DLC worked in Awakening, if you played the game on a system with DLC installed and got some items/classes/whatever, they'd work just fine on that system, then when you transferred to a system without the DLC installed, all the items and skills would show up as "?" (the items would do nothing, the skills would function normally), and all the classes would look like Tacticians but also function normally. Then when you play it on a system with DLC installed again, everything would go back to normal with the DLC stuff working as it should.

I have no idea if Fates does the same thing, but I assume it would.

As a rule of thumb, if you have inaccessible content, never use Multiplayer functions, this will either cause conflicts within your game or Flat out crash the other player's games.

For example, if I were to take my playable Chrom online, either the most likely result is that it'll crash the other player's games because Chrom's character ID in their game would lead to empty data, and thus the game wouldn't know what data it's supposed to use.

It is also suggested to use a clean new save for any content restoration patch because of the item swapping issue that happens when going to and from patch/unpatched.

If I haven't put the Accessory Shop into My Castle yet, can I still apply the costume patch without having to start a new game entirely since I won't see any item swapping? Would an Amie patch also need a new save?

Also could I play online if I just didn't have any (inaccessible) accessories on my characters? Say if the costume patch were adjusted to the localized order instead of the JP order, could I just wear normally accessible accessories only and not have any problems? Or would Nintendo see that I was playing a patch and ban me regardless?

If I haven't put the Accessory Shop into My Castle yet, can I still apply the costume patch without having to start a new game entirely since I won't see any item swapping? Would an Amie patch also need a new save?

Also could I play online if I just didn't have any (inaccessible) accessories on my characters? Say if the costume patch were adjusted to the localized order instead of the JP order, could I just wear normally accessible accessories only and not have any problems? Or would Nintendo see that I was playing a patch and ban me regardless?

Amie wouldn't need a new save, and if you don't have any accessories yet then you'll be fine.

Accessory IDs change with the patch, so say you use the Bold Swimsuit, this will show up as a different item for other players.

Is it impossible to rearrange the Accessory IDs? I'm curious as to what the limitations are to the file editing.

If you're using the Japanese one, if the order was changed to match the US one (with the exception of 3D, 3E, 3F, and 40). You can switch between patch and unpatch without having the accessories change randomly.

Out of curiosity is there a good video tutorial explaining how to download/install the 1.0 release on a 3DS running 9.2? I haven't turned on my 3DS for almost a year now so I am a little rusty with some of these new programs and such as I haven't been following the CFW scene.

Is it impossible to rearrange the Accessory IDs? I'm curious as to what the limitations are to the file editing.

If you're using the Japanese one, if the order was changed to match the US one (with the exception of 3D, 3E, 3F, and 40). You can switch between patch and unpatch without having the accessories change randomly.

Do you have a list of Accesory ID values for both versions?

I can take a look and see if we can do something to fix that.

Out of curiosity is there a good video tutorial explaining how to download/install the 1.0 release on a 3DS running 9.2? I haven't turned on my 3DS for almost a year now so I am a little rusty with some of these new programs and such as I haven't been following the CFW scene.

There's a tutorial in the works that will be done soon, I don't think it will be video but it should be very thorough.

So, to be clear, will there never be a way to patch digital or will that be in the works? Even if there isn't a way, thanks for doing this for us all!

Whether there will be or not is dependent on the developers of Homebrew, not the If team. All the team can do is make a patch that's usable through existing methods. If new methods become available, odds are it will work just fine with them, but that's out of the If team's hands.

Were the ID's that Jacien posted a couple pages back it? Granted the NA ID list doesn't seem entirely confirmed yet.

I was in the middle of reposting that lol.

But yeah, the ones in Pink for the US list are unconfirmed. I wouldn't mind testing it, but FFXIV has my full attention atm. :P

Could someone please tell or PM me how to use the patcher in the front page to patch my .3ds ROM to restore the swimsuit?

Once patched, is it permanent or have to be patched again on every reboot?

I am using gateway with latest emunand, thanks.

Could someone please tell or PM me how to use the patcher in the front page to patch my .3ds ROM to restore the swimsuit?

Once patched, is it permanent or have to be patched again on every reboot?

I am using gateway with latest emunand, thanks.

Dump rom and generate xorpads (there are tutorials on this, the other Team If thread has some, and xorpad confusion can also be found online, SniperBear's video also was quite nice).

Input both into patcher, download swimsuit file patch, unzip, tell patcher to use those files.

Generate .cia with files (I prefer .cia, but .3ds is fine too), install with fbi/bbm. Permanently patched!

Well, please don't do it here. This is a support thread, not a vent thread, and even angry venting is not justifiable.

As to the names we use, we simply used the names that everyone was most familiar with months prior to the release of Fire Emblem: If.

And to agree with Czar_Yoshi's statement, it's true. A notable amount of fan-translations these days use machine translation, not real translation. Every translator on our team human translates, we have turned down machine-based translators before. (Heck, translation also requires knowledge of Japanese culture. Machines don't have that. And you don't need it for names.)

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Just made a snarky little comment after a night of pent-up frustration. Wasn't directed at anyone here, if that's what people're worried about.

Guess that answer means looking at the Name Chart is what I want to do, though. I guess you all were happy with the terms everyone used before, or didn't want to confuse anybody? I would've thought character limitations would make you change some around though - something long, like uh... Defensive Formation for example, could've run over some menu somewhere, but I guess not.

Well, thanks for the pointer. I'll see if I can stop being lazy. ^_^;

Edited by CaelK

So after reading almost everywhere online regarding restoring content onto FE:Fates Special Edition, I couldn't find a clear answer for the question I have.

I have an Old 3DS that I can bring down to version 9.2, install the patches, and while using homebrew, I can play the game via HANs to access all of the content (by all, I mean what has been recovered by this group's localization project), meaning I can enjoy looking at pixelated bodies and touch faces like a creepy old man again. However, even though I have patched the game, if I remove the physical cartridge and put it in a different 3DS that does not have homebrew (currently running 10.6.0.31U):

Will I lose capability to buy the swimsuits and not be able to engage in friend-amie in My Castle? Or is it that if I patch the game on the other 3DS, all content on the physical cartridge has been modified and can be ran on any other 3DS with all of those features unlocked?

I'd like to know this before I proceed. I don't want to constantly play this game via homebrew on my secondary 3DS, primarily because it's the first 3DS that came out and it's so small and uncomfortable to hold. Any reply is appreciated in advance. :)

Edited by Alexbt1992

So after reading almost everywhere online regarding restoring content onto FE:Fates Special Edition, I couldn't find a clear answer for the question I have.

I have an Old 3DS that I can bring down to version 9.2, install the patches, and while using homebrew, I can play the game via HANs to access all of the content (by all, I mean what has been recovered by this group's localization project), meaning I can enjoy looking at pixelated bodies and touch faces like a creepy old man again. However, even though I have patched the game, if I remove the physical cartridge and put it in a different 3DS that does not have homebrew (currently running 10.6.0.31U):

Will I lose capability to buy the swimsuits and not be able to engage in friend-amie in My Castle? Or is it that if I patch the game on the other 3DS, all content on the physical cartridge has been modified and can be ran on any other 3DS with all of those features unlocked?

I'd like to know this before I proceed. I don't want to constantly play this game via homebrew on my secondary 3DS, primarily because it's the first 3DS that came out and it's so small and uncomfortable to hold. Any reply is appreciated in advance. :)

You will lose all features on another 3DS.

If you use HANS, you'll have to repatch every time you launch the game. (So your 3ds that doesn't have homebrew wouldn't be able to patch it regardless).

If you patched the rom / generated custom cia on cfw, you don't have to repatch.

Note: The cart can't be modified, so you'll always lose features.

In order to do that you'd need to have a CFW installed and then install the patch directly to the rom on the cart. I'm no expert on this as its not my patch and I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure that's how its going to work. We'll have to wait for one of the team members to write up a guide.

edit: if Iuyairis says it can't be done then nevermind. However, if you have a homebrew menu entry point you can use on your other 3DS like OoTHax you can just use HANS on that system as well.

Edited by Merik2013

You will lose all features on another 3DS.

If you use HANS, you'll have to repatch every time you launch the game. (So your 3ds that doesn't have homebrew wouldn't be able to patch it regardless).

If you patched the rom / generated custom cia on cfw, you don't have to repatch.

Note: The cart can't be modified, so you'll always lose features.

Thank you very much, exact info I was looking for.

In order to do that you'd need to have a CFW installed and then install the patch directly to the rom on the cart. I'm no expert on this as its not my patch and I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure that's how its going to work. We'll have to wait for one of the team members to write up a guide.

Seems like I'll be stalking this thread until someone comes up with a method like this. Until then, I'll live with playing without the patches. Thanks!

Seems like I'll be stalking this thread until someone comes up with a method like this. Until then, I'll live with playing without the patches. Thanks!

The only way to do that on the current firmware is to hardmod your 3ds. That requires you to send in your 3ds to a third party, costs money, voids your warranty and is potentially risky.

If a better method does come up, it won't be discovered here. The If team just makes the patch, they're not responsible for the exploits that allow users to patch stuff in the first place.

It's highly inadvisable to modify your actual physical cart. It's just not a good idea, and if you can dump the game and edit that instead, why would you risk the integrity of the cart when you could just modify an exact copy that's designed to be a "sandbox" of sorts?

edit: if Iuyairis says it can't be done then nevermind. However, if you have a homebrew menu entry point you can use on your other 3DS like OoTHax you can just use HANS on that system as well.

And using a cfw (iirc) doesn't actually patch your cart. The tutorial will have you dump the rom from the cart first, then you'll patch that instead (therefor also retaining the safety of your physical cart).