[Team If] Fire Emblem Fates - Content Restoration (v1.3) (PLEASE READ OP)

luyairis

I'm asking because I just received my Special Edition, I could do what AlphSteins did but I want to use the fanslation.

The fanslation should work with his method I think.

Question, with the name patch, there's time when the US name are here (for exemple the cinematic at the end of chapter 3, Joker is called Jacob, but just in that scene). I can uderstand that it's not perfect, but it seem's that every dialogue where the name Aqua appear, it is the US name (Azura). Is that normal ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fanslation should work with his method I think.

Right I thought it didn't work since you didn't use it for your own patch, thanks for the answer!

However could either you or AlphStein please do a step by step guide ? I've never used any kind of fan patches before on 3ds so I don't really understand what AlphSteins is saying in his post, I already have homebrew, HANS, braindump and ROMFs Extractor (I don't know how to use the last two though)

It would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound rude again!

This is what I did to create my own patch for the EU version:

1. First you need this 2 programs:

- Braindump 0.0.1 (the last version won't work for this), you can download it HERE

- RomFS Builder/Extractor (you need those in specific), that can be downloaded HERE

2. You put Braindump in the 3ds folder inside your SD like any other homebrew.

3. You use Braindump having inserted your Fire Emblem Fates game and dump it (it will take a lot of time). After it's done you will have a folder in your SD with some long code on it's name and inside 2 files called "romfs.bin" and "exefs.bin" (you need the first one).

4. Insert your SD in your computer and copy "romfs.bin" to any place, open RomFS Extractor and use it on the file (it will take some time).

5. Now you have a folder "romfs_", that are the game files decompressed. That's where we are going to copy the patch files but WAIT!!!

Some of the patches have files inside a folder called "@E" (the path is "m/@E"). That are language folders, we don't have @E, we instead have @F, @G, @I, @S, @U (French, German, Italian, Spanish, UK english).

So any file of a patch that it's inside "@E" should be put inside "@F" and the others (I think you can put it just in the folder of your language but I usually copy the files and put on all of them).

6. Having that into account copy all the files of your patch or patches and overwrite the ones on "romfs_".

7. Once you have finished, open RomFS Builder, select as folder "romfs_" and Go (will take some time). When it finish it will ask you to input the name, it should be "thegameid.romfs" (for example, the name for special edition should be "0017A800.romfs"). You can check the game's ID on hans.

8. Now that you have "thegameid.romfs", put it on your SD root inside a folder called "hans".

That should be all of it, I haven't write how to use hans, ask me if you don't know. You can ask any other question about all this.

It should work for any patch made for the USA version. Take into account that patches related to text will make your game display english texts even if you use french, spanish or any other language (since the modified files of the patch were taken from a USA game).

Edited by AlphSteins

- Braindump 0.0.1 (the last version won't work for this), you can download it HERE

- RomFS Builder/Extractor (you need those in specific), that can be downloaded HERE

3. You use Braindump having inserted your Fire Emblem Fates game and dump it (it will take a lot of time). After it's done you will have a folder in your SD with some long code on it's name and inside 2 files called "romfs.bin" and "exefs.bin" (you need the first one).

4. Insert your SD in your computer and copy "romfs.bin" to any place, open RomFS Extractor and use it on the file (it will take some time).

5. Now you have a folder "romfs_", that are the game files decompressed. That's where we are going to copy the patch files but WAIT!!!

Some of the patches have files inside a folder called "@E" (the path is "m/@E"). That are language folders, we don't have @E, we instead have @F, @G, @I, @S, @U (French, German, Italian, Spanish, UK english).

So any file of a patch that it's inside "@E" should be put inside "@F" and the others (I think you can put it just in the folder of your language but I usually copy the files and put on all of them).

6. Having that into account copy all the files of your patch or patches and overwrite the ones on "romfs_".

7. Once you have finished, open RomFS Builder, select as folder "romfs_" and Go (will take some time). When it finish it will ask you to input the name, it should be "thegameid.romfs" (for example, the name for special edition should be "0017A800.romfs"). You can check the game's ID on hans.

8. Now that you have "thegameid.romfs", put it on your SD root inside a folder called "hans".

That should be all of it, I haven't write how to use hans, ask me if you don't know. You can ask any other question about all this.

It should work for any patch made for the USA version. Take into account that patches related to text will make your game display english texts even if you use french, spanish or any other language (since the modified files of the patch were taken from a USA game).

Yeah I used that too, except that I used Decrypt9 and not Braindump (well I used Braindump at first but I was having some issue with the output file, and Decrypt9 much more fast)

I have a problem with AlphSteins guide

I'm at the last step but my 3ds sd card don't have enough space for the patched romfs.bin, I'm 21 mb short.

Is there anything I can do to make the patch smaller ? Maybe deleting a language (eg "@I" since I don't speak itanlian) ?

Or did I do something wrong ? I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps

The RomFS should be somewhere around 1.7 GB and 1.9 GB (depending of what patch you used). But I don't think you could reduce it (maybe like you said, delete other langage, but I don't know if it would crash or something).

Just asking to be 100% sure, can I delete the folder that braindump created in the sd card ?

I don't think it should have any use now and it might be why I don't have enough space

Thanks a lot for the help so far!

EDIT: WHen I launch the game I get a black screen, does that mean I have to leave the braindump folders in it ?

Edited by Doyagao

Normally, the folder that braindump created is useless to run the game. Bat save it in your computer, it could be usefull if you want to remade the hans file.

But if the game start with a black screen, thent something wrong. Did you select the folder with all the sub folder with RomFS Builder ? Did you correctly named your file ?

If you still have problem, I could send you by MP a link to my Hans file (I uploaded it for a friend). But it will not have the fanslation (I could make it with it but it'll have to wait tomorrow, it should take some hours to upload ^^" )

But if the game start with a black screen, thent something wrong. Did you select the folder with all the sub folder with RomFS Builder ? Did you correctly named your file ?

If you still have problem, I could send you by MP a link to my Hans file (I uploaded it for a friend). But it will not have the fanslation (I could make it with it but it'll have to wait tomorrow, it should take some hours to upload ^^" )

I just extracted the rom file to check and I do have all the files and I should have named it correctly "0017A800.roms" (I checked with HANS to be sure too) so I don't really know what went wrong

I'll gladly take your link ^^ If it works for me I'lll try to add the fanslation to it! Thanks a lot!

Yeah I used that too, except that I used Decrypt9 and not Braindump (well I used Braindump at first but I was having some issue with the output file, and Decrypt9 much more fast)

That's because the last version of Braindump creates a .cxi file. But that is solved using the version 0.0.1 (it's the first one that was released) that gives you a romfs.bin file. EDIT: Answering your question about the names patch, I have read Aqua in the game but it's true that sometimes the USA names appear.

Just asking to be 100% sure, can I delete the folder that braindump created in the sd card ?

I don't think it should have any use now and it might be why I don't have enough space

Thanks a lot for the help so far!

EDIT: WHen I launch the game I get a black screen, does that mean I have to leave the braindump folders in it ?

Yes, you can delete it, since you only need the dump for the extraction on your computer.

Make sure that with RomFS Builder you select the folder "romfs_" where you put the patch files. And when it asks you to give it a name to save it, name it "0017A800.romfs". Just to be sure, do you know how to use hans to apply the patch?

EDIT: You only want the fantranslation? Or also the undub? I could try to make you a "0017A800.romfs".

Haven tried to delete any language, all this processes take a lot of time to be experimenting haha

Edited by AlphSteins

That's because the last version of Braindump creates a .cxi file. But that is solved using the version 0.0.1 (it's the first one that was released) that gives you a romfs.bin file.

I used that version and obtained the romfs.bin but later I had some problem(I don't think it was coming from braindump but I used Decrypt9 just in case).

Doyagao --> I'll send the link by mp :)

Make sure that with RomFS Builder you select the folder "romfs_" where you put the patch files. And when it asks you to give it a name to save it, name it "0017A800.romfs".

I'm pretty sure I did this, I'll do it again just in case and edit the results here, but I just want to be sure I'm using HANS right

Just to be sure, do you know how to use hans to apply the patch?

I'll write what my launch settings are:

Region:EUR

Language: EN (not sure if I need to do this one)

FW Version Spoof: NO

N3DS CPU Clock: 804Mhz

Code -> SD: NO

Romfs -> SD: YES

is this right ?

I'm pretty sure I did this, I'll do it again just in case and edit the results here, but I just want to be sure I'm using HANS right

I'll write what my launch settings are:

Region:EUR

Language: EN (not sure if I need to do this one)

FW Version Spoof: NO

N3DS CPU Clock: 804Mhz

Code -> SD: NO

Romfs -> SD: YES

is this right ?

It's the same configuration I'm using so there shouldn't be any problem with hans then (the language option isn't necessary if your 3DS it's already in English). What it's the size of your 0017A800.romfs?

Edited by AlphSteins

Its 1.80gb I think it's bigger then what it's supposed to be ?

It's fine, then I don't know what's wrong :S Since you use the N3DS CPU Clock option I suppose you have a New 3DS? Trying to discard options about your problem xD

When you have Darkness-S' link try his file and tell us.

Edited by AlphSteins

Since you use the N3DS CPU Clock option I suppose you have a New 3DS? Trying to discard options about your problem xD

When you have Darkness-S' link try his file and tell us.

I do have a New 3DS ^^

I'll edit this post when I finished downloading Darkness-S' patch

EDIT: Sorry for the late update, it took around 1 hour to download the patch and it restarted twice for some reason.... Anyway even with Darkness-S' patch it doesn't seem to be working, so it should be my 3ds that has a problem. If either Darkness or you have a new 3DS ver 10.3.0-28E then I don't know....

EDIT 2: I just noticed that on the HANS launcher option is saying "Romfs path (INVALID)". I 'm not sure why though the patch is named 0017A800.romfs and should be in the right folder (G:(my sd card)/3ds/hans) does anyone know why then ?

Edited by Doyagao

EDIT: Sorry for the late update, it took around 1 hour to download the patch and it restarted twice for some reason.... Anyway even with Darkness-S' patch it doesn't seem to be working, so it should be my 3ds that has a problem. If either Darkness or you have a new 3DS ver 10.3.0-28E then I don't know....

Your HANS is recent? Maybe you don't have last version (can be downloaded HERE). I have a New 3DS 11.0 but the 3DS version shouldn't matter as long as you have Homebrew Launcher.

I just updated it and I still get a black screen

EDIT: Just asking did you delete the dumpbrain folder after you were done ? Maybe that's why is causing problems for me

EDIT 2: FIXED IT, I can't believe it was something so dumb, I just didn't have a hans folder in the root folder of my sd card.... thank you everyone for the help! I'll try with my patch now

EDIT 3: It is working with my patch now, I still can't believe it was something so basic...

Edited by Doyagao

I just updated it and I still get a black screen

EDIT: Just asking did you delete the dumpbrain folder after you were done ? Maybe that's why is causing problems for me

EDIT 2: FIXED IT, I can't believe it was something so dumb, I just didn't have a hans folder in the root folder of my sd card.... thank you everyone for the help! I'll try with my patch now

EDIT 3: It is working with my patch now, I still can't believe it was something so basic...

I'm glad you finally got it working ^^

Ahah yeah sometimes little mistake can take hours to be seen ^^

Good Game ^^

Hi Everyone. First of all thank you for your hard work! I've just received my EUR Fates Special edition and now am agonizing if I want to patch/undub everything or not. If you don't mind I have a few questions:

1: It says that a fresh save is recommended for any patch but if I decide to play English version for save file #1 can I patch it then play the japanese version on save file #2? And if so, am I still able to access data from #1?

2: In case I missed it in the comments, the patch is currently not applicable to DLCs?

3: Someone told me that if I use HANS I can't HOME button the game and Fire Emblem Fates won't show up in my Activity Log as a game. Is this true?

4: I just finished Plailect's tutorial, installed arm9loaderhax and am currently on 11.0.0. From where in the tutorial should I start with?

Thank you for your patience. I'm very new to the homebrew scene and it's been an exciting but arduous experience so far.

Edit: I have a physical copy of Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition and from comments CFW is the better option for a permanent patch. Since I have followed the tutorial do I need to downgrade to 9.2 again?

Edited by rubysp

1. It is recommended but it shouldn't be any problem if you apply this patches midway. You would still be able to access save file #1.

2. It isn't applicable to DLCs but the undub (for example) will work on them since they use voices from the game (except for Awakening characters).

3. It it's true. About the Home button you can press L+R+B+Down to return to Homebrew Launcher and from them press Start to go to the Home menu.

4. I can't help you with CFW, the same for your Edit, sorry :S

Hey, I followed your exact steps for my Fates special edition, only used the undub files. The game runs fine through HANS, but all the voices are still English. And yes I put the patch in the hans folder directly on the root of my SD card.

EDIT: Just repeated the process and it worked, no idea what I did wrong before. Thanks for making the guide!

Edited by Soundmaniac

Hi Everyone. First of all thank you for your hard work! I've just received my EUR Fates Special edition and now am agonizing if I want to patch/undub everything or not. If you don't mind I have a few questions:

1: It says that a fresh save is recommended for any patch but if I decide to play English version for save file #1 can I patch it then play the japanese version on save file #2? And if so, am I still able to access data from #1?

2: In case I missed it in the comments, the patch is currently not applicable to DLCs?

3: Someone told me that if I use HANS I can't HOME button the game and Fire Emblem Fates won't show up in my Activity Log as a game. Is this true?

4: I just finished Plailect's tutorial, installed arm9loaderhax and am currently on 11.0.0. From where in the tutorial should I start with?

Thank you for your patience. I'm very new to the homebrew scene and it's been an exciting but arduous experience so far.

Edit: I have a physical copy of Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition and from comments CFW is the better option for a permanent patch. Since I have followed the tutorial do I need to downgrade to 9.2 again?

1 - It is recommanded if you use content restoration patch. I think only the swinsuit patch applyed. If you use Hans you can play the save file #1, but if you use a permapatch and a rom, you'll need to use an homebrew to extract your save from the card and inject it in the rom/cia save on the sd card (I recommand using svdt, it works really well)

2 - I think that common file for voice will work for DLC with a permapatch. For Hans I don't know

3 - Yup, that's true, and online function will not work EDIT : Online seem's to work

4 - If you want to play with Hans (no permapatch and rom), follow the guide from AlphSteins on page before. If you want a permapatch, you'll need to acquire the ExHeader.bin of the game. For that you have to either dump the game with Decrypt9WIP (I'm not sure braindump 0.0.01 give it), but you'll need some file on the root of you're sd card for that, and the method are a little different (I could explain more by mp if you want), or use another homebrew to get it (but I don't know wich). When you have it, use 3DS Builder to rebuild the rom. You'll need the romfs from AlphSteins guide (renamed for exemple to romFS.bin), the ExeFS.bin (you should have it either you used Braindump 0.0.0.1 or Decrypt9 to dump your game), the rom, and the ExHeader.bin. You'll also need the serial code of the game, which should be something like CTR-P-XXXX where XXXX are the first 4 numbers on the back of the game card. To use the .bin file, you'll need to check the "Use a RomFS binary" and "Use a ExeFS binary" on 3DS Builder. Then click on "Go" and wait. Save the rom.

If you want a cia to install it, use "3DS Simple CIA Converter" (you can find instruction on the net ^^).

Good game, if you need some further advice, I can send you an mp (I'm french, so my english are not really accurate, and I can be confusing in my instruction ^^" )

Soundmaniac --> I had the same problem at first. What patch's did you use exactly ? On the character creation menu, do you have 3 or 5 choice for the voice ?

Edited by Darkness-S