Which Japanese Fire Emblem games do you well enough to play in their original language?

Lantairu

Recently, I've been playing FE4 for the umpteenth time. However, this time I'm playing it on the original cartridge for a change, which means everything is in moonspeak. This is really the only game in the series I know well enough to play in Japanese, but which ones have you guys played that much?

I played New Mystery on an imported cartridge. That was easy enough, since the interface is basically the same as Shadow Dragon. I also played the Binary hack for FE4. The status screens are actually a bit different for that one but I got the hang of it relatively quickly. I think I could play any of the games without a translation. Well, except for Berwick Saga since that game is very different. But I'm sure I will be able to handle it eventually.

Edited by BrightBow

Just FE6 and East Chemblem before I switched from a family member's pc.

I tried Touhou Emblem III, which stars Shinki, too, but I didn't really get far in that.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I survived halfway through an FE1 remake in FE8, but I got walled because of 60 defence ballistas. The moonspeak did help my doom as I couldn't tell the ballistas apart, since they shared an icon and some did effective damage to Bantu, who could otherwise take ~3/90 damage. (Marth died in around three hits, and it was C13, aka Ballista City.) I think I could survive through FE4 and GBAFE, but other games would be near-unplayable (totally so in FE1's case.)

Recently, I've been playing FE4 for the umpteenth time. However, this time I'm playing it on the original cartridge for a change, which means everything is in moonspeak. This is really the only game in the series I know well enough to play in Japanese, but which ones have you guys played that much?

Well, you should try the Vietnamese version for a whole new experience.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32307

As for the Japanese only releases I can play FE4, 6, and 12 without a hitch. FE4 took some practice memorizing the icons for inside the castle, weapon icons, etc., and what the skills can do but I eventually got it. As for FE6 and 12, I've got the cartridges for these games(FE4 as well) and only had the option of playing them in Japanese which wasn't hard if you're familiar with the GBA series and Shadow Dragon.

Any FE game after FE5. FE1 and 2 have no icons which makes them impossible for me, FE3 has a cumbersome interface, and FE4/FE5 have complexities which can't be intuited without understanding the language.

Considering FE3's space limitation for names and such, playing in Japanese probably wouldn't be that different.

I don't think you understand how space limitations work.

I've become pretty used to FE3's JP interface by now, and the games from FE6 onward would probably be intuitive enough. I know almost no Japanese proper, but can read hiragana and katana which helps a little bit with unit/weapon names and such.

I've done FE 6 in Japanese twice, so I know I could play any of the GBA games in a foreign language. I do know a very limited amount of Japanese though, so I can pick up when they are taking about characters and places if I care to pay attention and take a few extra minutes to look at things. Though I prefer to simply read a translated version of the script. (Thanks to the wonderful souls who do know Japanese and choose to spend time translating for other unfortunate souls) I can even pick up/recognize what the different commands look like after some time.

In fact, I think I know the general control scheme of most FE games well enough that I could at least play them in Japanese. Sure I'd make a few mistakes, but I accidentally click things in English too. Awakening might be the most difficult because of all the new commands from the pair up system, but I bet if I tried the muscle memory would take over. I am pretty confident I could play FE 6-14 in Japanese if I wanted too--definitely not perfectly, but I could play them fairly normally (whilst understanding very little).

Probably couldn't do FE 1-5 as I am completely unfamiliar with them.

Edited by Kyea

I played New Mystery on an imported cartridge. That was easy enough, since the interface is basically the same as Shadow Dragon. I also played the Binary hack for FE4. The status screens are actually a bit different for that one but I got the hang of it relatively quickly. I think I could play any of the games without a translation. Well, except for Berwick Saga since that game is very different. But I'm sure I will be able to handle it eventually.

Have you checked out the Menu Guide I made for Berwick Saga?

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59046

Have you checked out the Menu Guide I made for Berwick Saga?

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59046

I have, but I have yet to take another go at the game. But thanks for the pointer. And thanks for the guide itself of course, I'm sure I will need it soon enough.

Edited by BrightBow

• 2 weeks later...

Being a native Japanese speaker, I'll have no problem with any of the entries. I've only played Binding Blade in Japanese, but that was because I was in middle school living with my family in Tokyo. Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon DS, I played in English, as I already moved to Australia by that time. However, I played with the voices set to Japanese for my Australian Awakening, and it was interesting to see some of the Woolseyism (for a lack of a better word outside TV Tropes) between the English captions and the Japanese voices.

Played an imported version of FE3 well enough a while back, might give it another go at some point along with original Japanese Cartridges of FE1-2 and FE4-6. Though as I've learned the hard way tracking down the FE5 and FE6 Japanese cartridges can get pretty expensive, granted I was expecting cartridges for Thracia 776 to be expensive regardless.

Played an imported version of FE3 well enough a while back, might give it another go at some point along with original Japanese Cartridges of FE1-2 and FE4-6. Though as I've learned the hard way tracking down the FE5 and FE6 Japanese cartridges can get pretty expensive, granted I was expecting cartridges for Thracia 776 to be expensive regardless.

Thracia cartridges are rediculous. To this day the most expensive game I've bought is Chrono Trigger CIB, and FE5 is even more expensive than that. What does it go for now, $300 if you're lucky?