Rena Strober appreciation thread

Thane

Dear AMAZING people on this thread. Sorry it took me a while to get logged in..but i finally figured it out!

Let me first say that I've ready every single comment and am moved beyond belief at your kindness and support.

I've worked on many games but mostly come from the Broadway/TV world where there aren't as many people voicing opinions on the internet. I had no idea I was about to become part of something so big and so exciting. Anything of this magnitude is going to come with its lovers & haters.

I'm learning quickly to disregard unwarranted criticism and focus on my work and the amazing FE fans!! I'm also doing what I love everyday..singing and bringing life to these awesome characters and feel lucky to do so.

It's so easy to get swept up in the drama and lose site of what's really important...to tell the story and hope that players enjoy the journey.

I feel very lucky to have fans like you and hope you continue to enjoy my work. I loved singing for FE and I've got more exciting projects in the works.

Please keep in touch and I'll do the same...and thanks again for turning a crappy day into one I'll never forget!!!

With Deep Gratitude,

Rena

I guess the first thing to sayis Welcome to the forest Miss Strober ! If you want to wander here for a bit, feel free to do so, I'm sure most people will welcome you greatly and openly ! (But I can't guarantee anyone though, so I am sorry I can only say "most")...

I had no idea the conditions for voicea cting were so strict and strange. It makes no sense. Your singing has nothing to envy from the japanese one and really it comes to a matter of taste at this point. As I said in another thread, I won't hide I didn't know if I liked your singing or not in the first trailer. But be certain that the me right now love your singing from what I heard in Super Smash Bros. Actually, I used to hum the song until the english lyrics were release, and now I keep singing it in english (though my singing does not equal yours). So it is exactly what Phoeniw_Kensai says.

But I also had no idea you'd be attacked by some people and that the video would be taken down. I can get how you must have felt towards some FE fans that happen to be haters as well, but you must know there are still civil people who while not liking the english version will stay polite, and people who really like your job now. I hope things will get better and don't attach to much importance to haters, since this is how they proceed. I expect to see more of your work in other productions and I'll keep waiting for Fates to come in Europe ! Congrats on coming here while knowing it might end up on Youtube or on any fansite, it must have taken a lot of courage !

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here

HAVE SOME HATER REPELLENT

EUOBGd2.gif

In all seriousness, I didn't know this was actually a thing, but... I'm not terribly surprised given how fandoms can be.

Either way, glad to have you onboard.

Wow, just listened to the english version of the theme today, and here I come to the threads and find the actual singer has come and given her thanks here!

To Rena and to all Emblemeers in the forum: This song means a lot to me, having listened to it in a time of great struggle for me. The song's beauty and message of hope, and the realization that life is two-sided comes at a time when I've had a long time friend recently pass away. The song touches me deeply, in that regard. The line "even the thorn in your heart may in time become a rose", especially helps me.

Despite the plethora of people around me, I feel that friend's loss deeply as yet. I see reminders of him every day. This song, however, and it's lovely singer, give me hope that I'll stop hurting quite so much sometime soon.

So, deeply and thoroughly, Rena Strober, and all my friends here in the Forest, thank you for being here.

We just got visited by a genuine celebrity on this forum. A legit, official "involved with the production of a game we love" moment in this forum. And that's a first.

Thank you, Ms Strober for the wonderful performance in the game! Please know that the majority does appreciate your efforts you put forth in your work, regardless of our preferences!

(Sorry, it's because I'm one of the people who prefer the Japanese version, and the singer, Renka, for Aqua [Azura's name in Japanese] but am appalled at the ones who attack you. I don't mean to make this about me, but I just wanted to clarify that not all of us who have different preferences think your performance is bad or are unreasonable. I would never condone what part of the fanbase subjected you to.)

I think of it as choosing between two good performances!

You are a great actress and singer and no "weeblings" can change that! Just listen to your friend Matthew Mercer, and disregard the fans who really don't know what they're talking about!

Rena Strober, thanks for giving us all the honor of being present here.

I'm sorry that some people were mean to you because of another version of that same song you sang. You truly did not deserve any of the negativity that came towards you.

Similar to what the person before me said, both versions of the song are great, we all have preferences and bashing on the person who sang the other one is unneeded and just evil, but I have to mention that your hard work and beautiful voice make the song special.

And do not forget that you are a wonderful actress!

Dear AMAZING people on this thread. Sorry it took me a while to get logged in..but i finally figured it out!

Let me first say that I've ready every single comment and am moved beyond belief at your kindness and support.

I've worked on many games but mostly come from the Broadway/TV world where there aren't as many people voicing opinions on the internet. I had no idea I was about to become part of something so big and so exciting. Anything of this magnitude is going to come with its lovers & haters.

I'm learning quickly to disregard unwarranted criticism and focus on my work and the amazing FE fans!! I'm also doing what I love everyday..singing and bringing life to these awesome characters and feel lucky to do so.

It's so easy to get swept up in the drama and lose site of what's really important...to tell the story and hope that players enjoy the journey.

I feel very lucky to have fans like you and hope you continue to enjoy my work. I loved singing for FE and I've got more exciting projects in the works.

Please keep in touch and I'll do the same...and thanks again for turning a crappy day into one I'll never forget!!!

With Deep Gratitude,

Rena

First of all, thank you for coming to our site to reply. I've met a couple of the voice actors for games like this through them trying to reach out to the gaming community surrounding them, but this is the first time we've actually had someone sign up for the forums to respond. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Second, huge congratulations on the role. As someone who also lives near LA and records auditions frequently... it's a tough market. It seems like it's harder to get roles in than commercial stuff, to begin with, but people are also very opinionated about how the voice acting is done because you're often not the first one acting for the role. Thus is the nature of ADR and dubbing, unfortunately. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. To be honest, a couple of years ago this probably wouldn't have happened, but the visibility of these particular games has blown way up. Thus the naysayers, which are particularly bad on places like twitter, are also more apparent.

Third, I saw the interactions you had with nichegamer. I'm so sorry. I saw which things they chose to quote, but this is the unfortunate reality of most "gaming journalism". I know there is some truth to it, because for games you're often just given a character background, list of lines, and directed on how to act without the context of the other character's lines, but that's not really the same thing as being given no information at all. It's sometimes very hard because you don't have the same context as, say, anime or a cartoon show, but that's not to say you're not given any direction or that they just record whatever you throw at them and call it a day.

It really pains me to see your words publicly construed like that because the people who hire for these roles have a high chance of reading this stuff. It's not like the casting director for a game isn't interested in what the public reception was. Stuff like this also tends to scare away voice actors (especially ones who haven't done a huge number of games, though it doesn't seem like you fall into this category) from interacting with the public about their games. Please don't let this affect you like this.

I once met Matt Mercer at the Atlus office, because we were helping prepare him for a match against a well known fighting game player Alex Valle, where Matt was going to play using the character he voiced (Kanji). He was the nicest guy and was really excited about playing Valle and spending time with the community for the game for the event. It was great to see a pretty well-known voice actor willing to talk to and mingle with the community a bit. I wish more would do this. It was a great idea for PR, but the players that were at the event were truly really happy to see him there.

Edited by Jyosua
Added some clarity

Well this really moved me, so I decided to make an account^^

I just wanted to voice my opinion that you did an amazing job with Fire Emblem Fates and I'm sure you will go down in this forum's history as an astonishing voice actor! It's amazing somebody registered here, who worked directly on something many of us will definitely love.

This all kinda inspired me to paint something reaaaally quick:

6wyEhzF.jpg

I just wanted to voice my opinion that you did an amazing job with Fire Emblem Fates and I'm sure you will go down in this forum's history as an astonishing voice actor! It's amazing somebody registered here, who worked directly on something many of us will definitely love.

6wyEhzF.jpg

Welcome to Serenes!

!!!!!!! Your drawing is beautiful! I'm glad you got inspired :^_^:

6wyEhzF.jpg

I hope you don't mind that I tweeted that to her?

And an unrelated permission request... that is very cute, can I share it on Tumblr or perhaps of you have one, reblog it?

Edited by shadowofchaos

6wyEhzF.jpg

That is so cute omg! Also, Welcome to the forest!

I hope you don't mind that I tweeted that to her?

And an unrelated permission request... that is very cute, can I share it on Tumblr or perhaps of you have one, reblog it?

No I don't mind, in fact I would really appreciate it ^^

No I don't have a Tumblr, feel free to use it :)

Hey, welcome to the site, Rena Strober! I've had a blast here so far; it's a pretty nice community!

I really enjoyed listening to your performances for the first time. It sounded very different compared to what I used to be listening to from Fates, but it very quickly grew on me. I loved it! When I finally get the game, I'll bet the rest of your performance is stunning. I honestly can't say enough for how honored I feel for this chance to say how much I appreciate a voice actor's...well, acting! You're a huge inspiration to me, thank you so much!

And to Crushie, that's a lovely piece of art! Welcome to you as well!

...Holy shit, this is history in the making.

Welcome to the forest. I'm of the opinion you've done a fine job as Azura and I'm really sorry that the fanbase was unnecessarily harsh. (Even if Youtube comments are generally one of the cesspools of the internet, it's still disheartening so I understand.)

I'll go back to lurking far from the forest now.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Rena, let me honestly say how glad I am for your amazing performance in this game. Something not a lot of people realise is that dubbing songs is HARD. Really, really hard. Writing lyrics that both fit the original tune and convey the same meaning as the original language is one thing, but actually singing to the tune of a song in the language it wasn't written for... I can't even begin to imagine how much work that is. And you pulled it off. Not only pulled it off, you managed to make one of my favorite vocal songs of all time, and not just in gaming either.

I've heard a lot of awkward-sounding dubbed songs over the years, so I was honestly worried about how Azura's singing would be handled in this one. The first English trailer sounded good, but brief. I wasn't sure I'd get another chance to hear the song before the game... and then a certain Smash Bros announcement happened. When I downloaded the DLC pack, I wasn't just excited for Corrin, but for the two music tracks coming with him. So I listened to the vocal version of "Lost in Thoughts All Alone"... and it completely floored me. The song was sung so well I immediately listened to the full thing again after it ended. And again. And again. It's now one of my favorite tracks in Smash Bros, if not my absolute favorite. I even showed it to my mum and she thought it was amazing! It led me to look up what else you'd done, and noticed you'd done Broadway productions like Les Miserables. My reaction was "that makes perfect sense".

English-speaking fans of this game are very, very lucky we have a voice actress who is also a singer to voice Azura. Not even the Japanese version did both, it had to have separate singing and non-singing voices. The fact that Nintendo America thought to hire someone as talented as you shows they clearly understood how important Azura and her singing was to this game. They deserve praise for that, not the scorn some members of the fanbase are giving them.

Your role in this game is amazing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And thank you so much for being with us on these forums. And thank you so much everyone who posted here and made this thread: you've convinced me there is still good in this fandom.

With Deep Gratitude,

Rena

We're glad that you were able to see all of these positive and supportive posts. You deserve the praise you get. You did an amazing job as Azura.