Localization Comparison Thread

Kirokan

I don't think Zero's entirely unsadistic, but he's definitely a lot more toned down and more target-sensitive. He's still the same level of rude to Camilla, and Camilla was actually more aggressive with putting him in his place.

Interestingly enough I think a bunch of the supports that I felt were pretty terrible and character-negligent got changed, in my opinion, for the better. There's a bunch of supports that I'm adamant notps about in JP that I at least don't mind looking at in English now.

I'm referring to this support in particular. I haven't read most of the jap and en supports so I can experience them myself. So I don't know about the quality. Zero's my rooms lines were definitely toned down, and I assume that would apply all around.

Edited by Glyth

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm referring to this support in particular. I haven't read most of the jap and en supports so I can experience them myself. So I don't know about the quality. Zero's my rooms lines were definitely toned down, and I assume that would apply all around.

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of him was toned down, but I have read every single translated JP support and can refer to them for comparison. There are a lot of things that are different from the original, but I don't think it's entirely gone.

I really wish I can help you as well, Kirokan. Since I don't have the game yet and I don't know everything about the Japanese version of the game that much.

The only noticeble changes I can see are :

Soleil having only two romantic S ranks. (Male!Avatar and Forrest.)

Both Kanas only having one romantic S rank. (Kirgai for female!Kana and Selkie for male!Kana, although some do hint that they may wait until Kana is older before starting a relationship or in most of them, down right rejecting them. In some it's just about becoming best friends.)

Midori and Asugi don't have a romantic S rank anymore.

That's all I know off the top of my head (and you most likely knew about them, anyway).

Really? Soleil only has two romantic S ranks. Wow, this would really screw up my all Maid team, particularly I have plans to make all the female children as Maids (I'm planning to marry Male!Avatar to Sophie, Soleil to Dwyer, and Forrest to Rhajat, but my setup is a little complicated here). And Kanas having limited S rank support options also really throw me off since I do want someone like Mitama have access to the Oni Savage class via male!Kana marriage when I do my Birthright run.

Anyways, that's from the gameplay perspectives. Are there any reasons why they limited Kana's S support options?

Really? Soleil only has two romantic S ranks. Wow, this would really screw up my all Maid team, particularly I have plans to make all the female children as Maids (I'm planning to marry Male!Avatar to Sophie, Soleil to Dwyer, and Forrest to Rhajat, but my setup is a little complicated here). And Kanas having limited S rank support options also really throw me off since I do want someone like Mitama have access to the Oni Savage class via male!Kana marriage when I do my Birthright run.

Anyways, that's from the gameplay perspectives. Are there any reasons why they limited Kana's S support options?

They wrote the support less romantically. Mechanically it's the same as before. You're not losing anything in terms of gameplay.

It's just, platonic S is now a thing.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Kana and Soleil still have S Supports and get the benefits; these supports just happen to be platonic now.

You can reclass and stuff using Partner Seals or whatever they're called, it just doesn't end in romance.

Kana and Soleil still have S Supports and get the benefits; these supports just happen to be platonic now.

You can reclass and stuff using Partner Seals or whatever they're called, it just doesn't end in romance.

Oh okay. Thanks for telling me that, it's only support conversation content, not the gameplay mechanic itself.

I'm still glad that they toned down the cousin incest with Midori and Asugi, but it bothers me that some characters such as Elise and Midori are referred as adults when they are clearly children (I've been seeing a lot of jailbait loli jokes about these two characters in tumblr and Twitter).

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I love those platonic S supports; it adds more variety to the relationship between characters.

Just like how Priscilla from FE7 had several ''star crossed lovers'' in her special endings.

Edited by LeDom

I was looking at Selkie's supports with her mothers and the B-supports are pretty different. In the original, Kinu was mostly just trying to figure out how to apply the makeup. Here's the localized B-support (Corrin's, which are the most generic ones):

Corrin: Are you ready for your makeup lesson, Selkie?

Selkie: Oh yeah! Bring it on!

Corrin: I have so many types and shades, I'm not sure where to start. What did you-

Selkie: War paint! Right under the eyes with lipstick! I want green- do you have green?

Corrin: Yes, but there's an important step that comes first. Before anything else, you need to put on some foundation.

Selkie: You mean this powdery stuff? I think it's gonna make me sneeze. AH-CHOO! Oh no... it's everywhere!

Corrin: Aaah...! Careful, Selkie! We need some of that to end up on your face!

Selkie: *sniff* I'm sorry, Mom. I'm screwing everything up, aren't I?

Corrin: Don't cry, dear. It'll streak your makeup, for one thing... Why don't you just watch today? I'll put on my usual makeup, and you can see how I do it. Then you'll be ready to try whatever you want on yourself!

Selkie: Really? OK... that sounds good.

Corrin: Now then, there's a lot you can do with makeup. It all depends on how you're aiming to present yourself.

Selkie: Fierce! I want to look like I could rip your head off with my teeth. Rawr! I mean, not YOUR head, Mom. Anyway, make me look fierce!

Corrin: Haha... that sounds interesting. I like your style, Selkie!

There's also a ton of variety between the different mothers: Charlotte is rather put-off by Selkie wanting green, Kagero finds it an excellent choice given her artistic sense; Hana has no idea how to apply makeup so she goes along with the green and picks orange for herself, Rinkah says that all she knows how to do is her red war paint, which Selkie is very excited about, etc.

I'm going to check the rest of the non-determinant parent supports for the other kids, but if they're all customized like this, I'd be very happy.

Edited by wvype

I was looking at Selkie's supports with her mothers and the B-supports are pretty different. In the original, Kinu was mostly just trying to figure out how to apply the makeup. Here's the localized B-support (Corrin's, which are the most generic ones):

Corrin: I have so many types and shades, I'm not sure where to start. What did you-

Selkie: War paint! Right under the eyes with lipstick! I want green- do you have green?

Corrin: Yes, but there's an important step that comes first. Before anything else, you need to put on some foundation.

Selkie: You mean this powdery stuff? I think it's gonna make me sneeze. AH-CHOO! Oh no... it's everywhere!

Corrin: Don't cry, dear. It'll streak your makeup, for one thing... Why don't you just watch today? I'll put on my usual makeup, and you can see how I do it. Then you'll be ready to try whatever you want on yourself!

Corrin: Now then, there's a lot you can do with makeup. It all depends on how you're aiming to present yourself.

Selkie: Fierce! I want to look like I could rip your head off with my teeth. Rawr! I mean, not YOUR head, Mom. Anyway, make me look fierce!

There's also a ton of variety between the different mothers: Charlotte is rather put-off by Selkie wanting green, Kagero finds it an excellent choice given her artistic sense; Hana has no idea how to apply makeup so she goes along with the green and picks orange for herself, Rinkah says that all she knows how to do is her red war paint, which Selkie is very excited about, etc.

I'm going to check the rest of the non-determinant parent supports for the other kids, but if they're all customized like this, I'd be very happy.

I ran some diffs on Shino's mom supports and even though there's not as character-defining variations as Selkie's mom supports, the mom still all speak quite differently. there's also a version with slightly more lines that Setsuna and Felicia use (possibly others, but I didn't read all of Shino's mom supports)

I think it probably ultimately depends on how much room the support allows for variety, but at least they're going for different manners of speech even if there isn't a lot of room to characterise the mom

I kind of like those platonic S-supports. Kind of actually gives the characters some modicum of character and preference.

Oh god, but the pickles. I actually had to pause the thing when I was listening to Hisame's lines and just reflect on life. This aspect of the localization reminds me of the folly of men.

Can I just say that Elise and Niles have way better supports now.

Niles is a lot less sexual to Elise and does not refer to her body at all. In fact he is very supportive to her (There is only one very vague line, but really, it does not sound sexual in nature).

I don't see the problem here, if we going to take seriously that she is an adult in the Nohr culture... That shouldn't be a problem... right?... right?
Ok seriously... That wouldn't be a very wise thing to say to his little half-sister... especially when he is your Boss... It wouldn't be wise at all.
But the change was inevitable, they decided to sacrifice the characterization of the character for the benefit of the audience...
And you know what? I can live with that, at least it could be worse.

A note that they referred to the MyCastle area as a parallel dimension. I'm not sure if that was the best word choice, even though I can see why it translated to it. Parallel implies a whole different dimension and world entirely, even though it always seemed more like a Pocket Dimension. It's just a very minor thing, but the connotations are different.

Yet, the child realms are referred to as Deeprealms, which is a good way to imply a pocket dimension (Secluded Realms/Regions is how Vincent and I translated those).

I'll definitely keep you updated! I made sure to review Ryouma's supports just in time for localization so I can prepare, haha. I'll have to do his Eng/Comparative review after I play the game though--even though I have all of Ryouma's supports, I do like to do them in context with the rest of his character, so I'll need main story dialogue context haha

No rush! I'm compiling most stuff in this thread and game, but probably will post a lot slower until I'm done with the game too. I look forward to it, thanks for all your work : )

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I love those platonic S supports; it adds more variety to the relationship between characters.

Just like how Priscilla from FE7 had several ''star crossed lovers'' in her special endings.

I don't think it's unpopular. : ) It works especially well when no child results from the 2nd gen marriage, because it means it does not have to lead to children as generation 1 supports are, and so, limited by sometimes. xD

Ooh, I like that if there's slight variety. I wonder if that was in the Japanese one as well? I did not see too many of Silkie/Kinu's, so would have to double check.

I kind of like those platonic S-supports. Kind of actually gives the characters some modicum of character and preference.

Oh god, but the pickles. I actually had to pause the thing when I was listening to Hisame's lines and just reflect on life. This aspect of the localization reminds me of the folly of men.

A friend of mine said she thought it was a serial killer and the last words his victim heard. xD

There is a five minute timeout when battling castles now. You could still visit them and collect resources as much as you want without incurring the timeout.

Was there not a five minute time out in the Japanese ones? Or is it a general update sort of thing?

I don't think it's an unpopular one, a lot people have wanted more platonic S ranks from what I can tell.

Personally, I just wish they weren't as concentrated on the children / children weren't (apparently) in such lack of romantic supports. Maybe my opinion is misled since I'm going on based on secondhand knowledge, but it sounds like the children are facing a reverse version of Awakenings' romantic S-rank overload.

Did Kaze have awkward chick-magnet traits in the Japanese version? In his C support with both Corrin and Rinkah he mentions women giving him things for helping them out in very small ways.

I found a minor change in Chapter 8 of Conquest, pertaining to Jakob's character and how they portray him. It's relatively minor, but since this is about subtle differences that can shape characters in the long run, I decided to make a post on it.

Some small spoilers for Conquest Chapter 8! Read it here.

Edited by Kirokan

I couldn't get the timeout to happen again last night even after visiting multiple castles. I'm guessing it had to do with higher traffic with servers because of the launch or something. Anyway, the pic below is from /feg/ who experienced the timeout. For now I can't say whether or not this is exclusive to the NA version of the game but it's never happened to me before in the original version.

1455941119508.jpg

Edit: pic is from /feg/

Edited by zoned out

I couldn't get the timeout to happen again last night even after visiting multiple castles. I'm guessing it had to do with higher traffic with servers because of the launch or something. Anyway, the pic below is from /feg/ who experienced the timeout. For now I can't say whether or not this is exclusive to the NA version of the game but it's never happened to me before in the original version.

1455941119508.jpg

Interesting... will we'll have to see if this happens in the Japanese one too, but definitely looks more server/base-game related rather than any sort of region thing, I think.

I've heard that Subaki/Nyx don't have a romantic S rank anymore (from what that person said what happens : Subaki confesses he has a crush on Nyx, but she just says 'im 2old4u'. He says "idc", but then she talks about how she really can't be with him, and he's all like, 'Can we just be friends at least? It's not like I'm proposing to you or anything.").

And yes, they will still have Caeldori (so I guess they become partners like Midori and male!Corrin then). Also from what I can find, Nyx doesn't reject anyone else. ...Unless she can only marry Kaze, Odin, Xander, Leo, Arthur, and Hayato now.

From : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-fates-conquest/73322622

Also, http://princemarxfucker.tumblr.com/post/139689916413/princemarxfucker-ughhhhhhh-see-the (story changes, so be careful of spoilers).

I also heard that there is no hot springs camera angle option.

From : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139701779985/they-removed-the-hot-springs-camera-angle-option

I was wondering, would a copy of SalShich10N's post about cut swimsuits be something that belongs in this thread?

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?s=f476e64cd1859c267fcf6f1c8ccd897c&showtopic=60565&page=2#entry4223011

Yep! That would qualify. Thanks!

I've heard that Subaki/Nyx don't have a romantic S rank anymore (from what that person said what happens : Subaki confesses he has a crush on Nyx, but she just says 'im 2old4u'. He says "idc", but then she talks about how she really can't be with him, and he's all like, 'Can we just be friends at least? It's not like I'm proposing to you or anything.").

And yes, they will still have Caeldori (so I guess they become partners like Midori and male!Corrin then). Also from what I can find, Nyx doesn't reject anyone else. ...Unless she can only marry Kaze, Odin, Xander, Leo, Arthur, and Hayato now.

From : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-fates-conquest/73322622

Also, http://princemarxfucker.tumblr.com/post/139689916413/princemarxfucker-ughhhhhhh-see-the (story changes, so be careful of spoilers).

I also heard that there is no hot springs camera angle option.

From : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139701779985/they-removed-the-hot-springs-camera-angle-option

This was a big help December Knight! Thank you very much for providing source links too : ) That's a bit of a shame to hear about Nyx. I wonder why with [T]Subaki only so far... I guess in one way that makes a more unique relation compared to the rest, and yet it makes little sense to reject him that way and not the others xD I'll look deeper into that as Nyx is one of my preferred characters.

The second link covers that issue pretty well. Whenever I get there in the English run I'll do a better comparison.

This was a big help December Knight! Thank you very much for providing source links too : ) That's a bit of a shame to hear about Nyx. I wonder why with [T]Subaki only so far... I guess in one way that makes a more unique relation compared to the rest, and yet it makes little sense to reject him that way and not the others xD I'll look deeper into that as Nyx is one of my preferred characters.

The second link covers that issue pretty well. Whenever I get there in the English run I'll do a better comparison.

No problem, Kirokan! I'm glad I got to help in some form.

I've also found that there is a bit of a change in Hinoka and Camilla's C support.

Link : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139670893195/hinoka-makes-a-child-soldier-joke-in-one-of-her

(Link to the Japanese version : http://professor-tammi.tumblr.com/post/122463510767/camillahinoka-support-translations)

Edited by December Knight

Not a support change, but the end of Soleil's paralogue has been changed quite a bit. Laslow is way more supportive of Soleil's preferences in the localization.

Localization:

Silas: Hmm, Laslow, did your daughter just ask that girl out to gaze at the stars?

Laslow: Why, yes! She's got good taste. In women as well as men—got a problem with that?

Silas: No, of course not.

Soleil: Wahooo! She said yes, Father! See, I always told you—be honest with women. It's not a game. Just wear your heart on your sleeve.On BOTH your sleeves!

Laslow: Soleil...I guess I can look forward to more of these dating tips, eh?

Fan Translated:

Silas: ...Eeh? Hey, Lazwald. Your daughter's hitting on a girl.

Lazwald: Yes...she has slightly different preferences, so... She likes cute girls.

Silas: What?

Soleil: Yaaaaay! Hey, Dad, did you see that, huh?! Unlike my un-sexy father, I never fail if I ask girls out for tea, right!?

Lazwald: That's probably because you're a girl too, though...

Edited by zoned out