Localization Comparison Thread

Kirokan

A friend of mine showed me some character endings. I think these are from Reddit but I don't know (she didn't say where she got them).

Camilla :

"After her brother ascended the throne, Camilla largely withdrew from royal affairs. She focused instead on humanitarian efforts, eventually adopting as many as 11 children by some accounts."

Effie :

"She helped the revival of every land after the war for a while. Her physical strength was a great blessing to the reconstruction of the Nohr Kingdom. After returning to the castle, she continued to work as Elise’s subordinate, and it is said that the friendship between the two continued for life." (I think this is her married ending but I'm not sure.)

"Without the need for as much brute strength after the war, Effie reluctantly turned her attention from strength training to teaching. Traveling far and wide, she helped promote fitness throughout Nohr."

Seems like in Niles and male!Corrin's Nohr ending, they don't open an orphange after the war. Just them traveling together, although in their Revelation ending it is mentioned that they adopt two kids.

Edited by December Knight

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, Kirokan! I'm glad I got to help in some form.

I've also found that there is a bit of a change in Hinoka and Camilla's C support.

Link : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139670893195/hinoka-makes-a-child-soldier-joke-in-one-of-her

(Link to the Japanese version : http://professor-tammi.tumblr.com/post/122463510767/camillahinoka-support-translations)

I do wonder where some of these changes come from... xD

Not a support change, but the end of Soleil's paralogue has been changed quite a bit. Laslow is way more supportive of Soleil's preferences in the localization.
Localization:

Silas: Hmm, Laslow, did your daughter just ask that girl out to gaze at the stars?
Laslow: Why, yes! She's got good taste. In women as well as men—got a problem with that?
Silas: No, of course not.
Soleil: Wahooo! She said yes, Father! See, I always told you—be honest with women. It's not a game. Just wear your heart on your sleeve.On BOTH your sleeves!
Laslow: Soleil...I guess I can look forward to more of these dating tips, eh?

Fan Translated:

Silas: ...Eeh? Hey, Lazwald. Your daughter's hitting on a girl.
Lazwald: Yes...she has slightly different preferences, so... She likes cute girls.
Silas: What?
Soleil: Yaaaaay! Hey, Dad, did you see that, huh?! Unlike my un-sexy father, I never fail if I ask girls out for tea, right!?
Lazwald: That's probably because you're a girl too, though...

Very interesting... I remember writing a summary on that chapter, so it sticks out to me. And no worries, this thread is about all changes, not just supports. : )

A friend of mine showed me some character endings. I think these are from Reddit but I don't know (she didn't say where she got them).

Camilla :

"After her brother ascended the throne, Camilla largely withdrew from royal affairs. She focused instead on humanitarian efforts, eventually adopting as many as 11 children by some accounts."

Effie :

"She helped the revival of every land after the war for a while. Her physical strength was a great blessing to the reconstruction of the Nohr Kingdom. After returning to the castle, she continued to work as Elise’s subordinate, and it is said that the friendship between the two continued for life." (I think this is her married ending but I'm not sure.)

"Without the need for as much brute strength after the war, Effie reluctantly turned her attention from strength training to teaching. Traveling far and wide, she helped promote fitness throughout Nohr."

Seems like in Niles and male!Corrin's Nohr ending, they don't open an orphange after the war. Just them traveling together, although in their Revelation ending it is mentioned that they adopt two kids.

I double checked Camilla's, it lines up with the text dump, so that must be where it came from. : ) So I'll assume the others are right too for now. Her Japanese one doesn't mention anything about adoptions and such at all. I suppose they wanted to paint her as more motherly...

Soleil's personal skill is "Sisterhood" now. Can the localization make up their minds about her?

I think at this rate Soleil is going to have to get a major post of her own. xD

Caledori and Rhajat's support has been completely rewritten. The reference to the Summer Scramble DLC is completely lost in the localization.

Localization: http://pastebin.com/pCMU04sG

Fan Translation: http://pastebin.com/X2R67UpD

I see... very interesting when some references are kept and others removed. Thanks!

EDIT:

Also today I decided to look at the "technical age" line xD Was curious what they replaced in Japanese with it.

Edited by Kirokan

Hmm, it seems like Saizo and Beurka’s C-support is entirely gone.

Link : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139754189450/saizou-and-belkas-c-support-seems-to-be-entirely

Here is the support, if you don't want to use link. :

Saizo : ....

Beurka : ....

Saizo : .....

Yes, that really is it.

Link : http://agoddamn.tumblr.com/post/139754189450/saizou-and-belkas-c-support-seems-to-be-entirely

Yes, that really is it.

I really hope someone at Treehouse screwed up and forgot to replace placeholder text with the actual conversation. Sure, it suggest ineptitude, but it's better than believing they would willing do this.

Yes, that really is it.

Unless they make up for this in their other supports, this is the second time I'll call BS on the localization.

I could see a couple people thinking "Wouldn't it be unique if the two serious assassin types with a scarred childhood didn't say anything to each other at first?", and I don't really like it.

Unless they make up for this in their other supports, this is the second time I'll call BS on the localization.

I could see a couple people thinking "Wouldn't it be unique if the two serious assassin types with a scarred childhood didn't say anything to each other at first?", and I don't really like it.

Their other two supports (3 if you go for S) are exactly the same as in Japan.

Yes, that really is it.

Thanks for posting, I came here to post about that too actually xD That's a really strange one...

EDIT: On my blog, a user pointed out the existence of this video/joke support from FE7, posted back in 2009. Do you think they would reference a relatively obscure thing? xD

Their other two supports (3 if you go for S) are exactly the same as in Japan.

That makes this even more awkward then...

EDIT: You're right... they talk as if the C support (in Japanese) happened... very, very strange.

Edited by Kirokan

I need to read the full support, but NilesxCamilla has been altered. Zero confesses just like in the Japanese, but Camilla doesn't say the admittedly cheesy "Did you really stop being a thief? Because you stole my heart." Also whereas Camilla openly admits to liking Niles' dirty whispering, in which he does so at the end of the S, that too was changed.

'''Niles''':
Come over here. I'll whisper more of these naughty, little words in your ear.

'''Camilla''':
Niles!

'''Niles''':
Was that too much?

I need to read the full support, but NilesxCamilla has been altered. Zero confesses just like in the Japanese, but Camilla doesn't say the admittedly cheesy "Did you really stop being a thief? Because you stole my heart." Also whereas Camilla openly admits to liking Niles' dirty whispering, in which he does so at the end of the S, that too was changed.

'''Niles''':

Come over here. I'll whisper more of these naughty, little words in your ear.

'''Camilla''':

Niles!

'''Niles''':

Was that too much?

That is so disappointing. I loved their original S-support, though I admit I like their localized A-support a lot more. Camilla was pretty matter-of-fact about her past in the JPN version, but in the localization she's still hurt by it, enough to get angry and start yelling.

Also, I got through Conquest Chapter 15 and I'm mixed. On the one hand, they kept that awful "maybe I should have picked Hoshido" line. On the other, they had Corrin immediately dismiss it afterwards with "No, I could never have betrayed my Nohrian siblings like that, I love them too much"--the JPN version just had him sort of agreeing with himself.

Not what I wanted, but I'll take it.

Caledori and Rhajat's support has been completely rewritten. The reference to the Summer Scramble DLC is completely lost in the localization.

Localization: http://pastebin.com/pCMU04sG

Fan Translation: http://pastebin.com/X2R67UpD

I can see why this happened: Cordelia's "A Cup Angst" and references to Tharja "having the nicest body in the army" were mostly written-out of Awakening's localization so the references would be lost anyway.

But especially the A support. That definately sounds like something that should be changed. An hex that causes someone to take their clothes off, and Rhajat doing it repeatedly to Caeldori without consent while she yells at her to stop... that has very disturbing implications. I'm surprised it didn't cause controversy like the Male Avatar/Soleil supports did.

Edited by Big Klingy

I can see why this happened: Cordelia's "A Cup Angst" and references to Tharja "having the nicest body in the army" were mostly written-out of Awakening's localization so the references would be lost anyway.

But especially the A support. That definately sounds like something that should be changed. An hex that causes someone to take their clothes off, and Rhajat doing it repeatedly to Caeldori without consent while she yells at her to stop... that has very disturbing implications. I'm surprised it didn't cause controversy like the Male Avatar/Soleil supports did.

That's not what the hex does, though. It makes it so the one with it won't feel embarassed/mortified. Wanting to remove her clothes was all Caeldori's own doing. The same hex shows up in an Awakening DLC, even in the localization, where Cordelia is the one doing it to Tharja repeatedly. When Rhajat sees that Caeldori is uncomfortable, she stopped.

That's not what the hex does, though. It makes it so the one with it won't feel embarassed/mortified. Wanting to remove her clothes was all Caeldori's own doing. The same hex shows up in an Awakening DLC, even in the localization, where Cordelia is the one doing it to Tharja repeatedly. When Rhajat sees that Caeldori is uncomfortable, she stopped.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I haven't played Summer Scramble so I wasn't aware of that. Sorry.

So what was this before?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb11MqeXIAI5kHe.jpg

Benoit: She told me she was 18.

I'm trying to locate this line. Do you know what chapter/scene this is in? Then I can look at what it was originally. : )

That is so disappointing. I loved their original S-support, though I admit I like their localized A-support a lot more. Camilla was pretty matter-of-fact about her past in the JPN version, but in the localization she's still hurt by it, enough to get angry and start yelling.

Also, I got through Conquest Chapter 15 and I'm mixed. On the one hand, they kept that awful "maybe I should have picked Hoshido" line. On the other, they had Corrin immediately dismiss it afterwards with "No, I could never have betrayed my Nohrian siblings like that, I love them too much"--the JPN version just had him sort of agreeing with himself.

Not what I wanted, but I'll take it.

That's strange since Camilla is the only one of the siblings who didn't seem bothered by even Iago and Hans's actions later on, so you think her past would also be taken lightly and that nothing would bother her. xD

I noticed that too in Ch. 15. I also found Iago's line "You and your loopholes" very amusing (which didn't exist in Japanese), likely a self-aware stab at how the path goes for Corrin/Kamui.

EDIT:

xD I took a look at Elise's "hating women" line in Chapter 20.(Conquest). Surprisingly it is the opposite of one might expect, that the (joking) misogyny claims would be in the Japanese one and erased in the English one. Not this time, it seems!

Also a look at Iago's "You and your loopholes" line from Chapter 11 of Conquest.

Edited by Kirokan

I'm trying to locate this line. Do you know what chapter/scene this is in? Then I can look at what it was originally. : )

I found it by looking up the chapter he joins in revelation. It looks to be "Um, I'm Elise. I'm not just some kid."

It's kind of hilariously bad at how they really want to age up Elise lol.

I found it by looking up the chapter he joins in revelation. It looks to be "Um, I'm Elise. I'm not just some kid."

It's kind of hilariously bad at how they really want to age up Elise lol.

You had tumblr screaming bloody murder because of Soleil; in the face of stuff like that, I feel trying to avoid jailbait charges feels pretty realistic. American culture is really hyper-active/hyper-sensitive.

Ditto with the platonic S-supports; actually, as a mechanic I really like it (though the Subaki/Nyx one definitely feels like they really didn't want to bother altering actual code).

You had tumblr screaming bloody murder because of Soleil; in the face of stuff like that, I feel trying to avoid jailbait charges feels pretty realistic. American culture is really hyper-active/hyper-sensitive.

Ditto with the platonic S-supports; actually, as a mechanic I really like it (though the Subaki/Nyx one definitely feels like they really didn't want to bother altering actual code).

I'm not saying I don't understand. I just find it hilarious how contrived it ends up being. I still don't think that nintendo should have bent over and appealed to the bullshit misunderstandings of a minority who can't read. It just sets a precedent for more bullshit and stupidity embracing.

You like platonic s-supports? ew

They shouldn't be needed, especially for the first gen. Does treehouse think people don't know where babies come from?

Supporting child abuse.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/083/802/a85.png

It's funny because of how unsubtle and how poorly handled the reassurances are regarding how old the characters are since it's clearly just the localizers inserting themselves into the game and saying "she's not jailbait, so you can bang her and not feel guilty about it." It's also funny because the dialogue regarding does not sound like something someone would actually say.

Platonic S supports are mixed. I'm an advocate for less romance and more platonicness but the game mechanics undermine it, since the existence of A+ really confuses the differences between an A+ rank and an S rank. It also doesn't solve the main problem, which is that Corrin can still fuck and impregnate characters like Elise, Percy, Midori, and Soleil and makes them look more like sexual gods than before since these kids will only put out for them. It's clearly an invention of the localization, which is an example of BAD localization since the a good localization reads as if it came from the country it's being localized to, and not a translation or tampering of a Japanese text.

Arthur and Niles support can changed a bit. Mostly with Arthur's theories on Niles' manner of speech. In the Japanese support, Arthur guesses that Niles' talks the way he does because he has something to hide, Niles questions it and Arthur admits he made it up, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. Arthur then adjusts the theory in their A support where he believes Niles does this as defense such as his embarrassment when Arthur suggested telling everyone he's a good person. In the English version, Arthur instead comments that if Niles jokes about crime then he must be trying to convince Arthur he is not be involved, Niles rejects this logic, Arthur admits he made it up. The theory wasn't brought up again, the A support was basically the same, but lacked that insight from Arthur.

It's funny because of how unsubtle and how poorly handled the reassurances are regarding how old the characters are since it's clearly just the localizers inserting themselves into the game and saying "she's not jailbait, so you can bang her and not feel guilty about it." It's also funny because the dialogue regarding does not sound like something someone would actually say.

Platonic S supports are mixed. I'm an advocate for less romance and more platonicness but the game mechanics undermine it, since the existence of A+ really confuses the differences between an A+ rank and an S rank. It also doesn't solve the main problem, which is that Corrin can still fuck and impregnate characters like Elise, Percy, Midori, and Soleil and makes them look more like sexual gods than before since these kids will only put out for them. It's clearly an invention of the localization, which is an example of BAD localization since the a good localization reads as if it came from the country it's being localized to, and not a translation or tampering of a Japanese text.

Would it have been preferential if they just cut those S-supports? Yes.

I like the concept of platonic S-supports; the execution here, as you said, leaves something to be desired.

I'm not saying I don't understand. I just find it hilarious how contrived it ends up being. I still don't think that nintendo should have bent over and appealed to the bullshit misunderstandings of a minority who can't read. It just sets a precedent for more bullshit and stupidity embracing.

You like platonic s-supports? ew

They shouldn't be needed, especially for the first gen. Does treehouse think people don't know where babies come from?

Supporting child abuse.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/083/802/a85.png

Are we still complaining about Subaki/Nyx? Because that's really the only 1st gen one I can think of, and yeah, I'll agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As said above, I like the concept of S-supports (in as much as we have disagreed it seems only one of us is now directly shaming the others preferences); I'll agree that the execution is pretty lacking at points.